4 Thirst for Knowledge
2 Duress
1 Buried Alive

3 Counterbalance
2 Sensei's Divining Top

4 Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
4 Curiosity
4 Goryo's Vengeance

I taken ispiration from the only decklist with Niv-Mizzet/Curiosity combo on deckcheck (here (http://www.deckcheck.net/deck.php?id=4486)).
Mine list is of course, a budget list; no FoW (mana leak instead), no mox, no duals and less fetches.

i added Counterbalance cause it fits very well here as we got actually 20 spells 1cc, 15 2cc and 5 3cc.

The goal of this deck is controlling the game with counters, while developing the hand for finding the combo pieces, then win; we can race for the combo too when needed.
Actually, this deck in my testings is able around 20% of the time to win on turn 3; needs some luck ofc but it's possible.

Thanks for any suggestion, i'm getting fun casual playing this deck.

rufus
01-28-2009, 02:22 PM
If you have it, Intuition is going to be a categorically better card than Buried Alive for you since it can fetch any of the combo pieces and you can play it EOT.

Barsoom
01-28-2009, 03:27 PM
I know, Buried Alive was the budget replacement for it, cause it's quite expensive right now (about 14$).

rufus
01-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Mystical tutor seems like a pretty weak card since it only tutors for one of your combo pieces. I wonder if Ponder would be a better fit for the deck.

freakish777
01-29-2009, 01:07 AM
Keep in mind Ophidian Eye is another blue card that combos with Niv (and is also Tutorable by Mystical Teachings if you're willing to slow the deck way down so you can tutor for every single piece of the combo with Teaching once you get Intuitions, Teachings->Vengeance, Teaching->Intution, Teaching->Ophidian Eye, I know, slow as hell, but should get the job done ultimately).

Barsoom
01-29-2009, 05:10 AM
rufus@ i don't understand, why one piece? the gatherer text of Mystical tutor says that it can tutor for both instant and sorcery, so i can grab 2 out of 3 pieces of the combo.

Ophidian Eye is nice cause it's an instant, the huge casting cost of 3 however i think makes it unplayable here.

grahf
01-29-2009, 11:21 PM
I think you should at least be able to hardcast Niv-Mizzet, even if that's a backup plan. Even so, the chain of cards required to combo off looks something like: pitch Niv into the yard -> reanimate Niv -> cast Curiosity on him.

For consistency and speeds's sake, you probably want more than 4 cards that do each of these actions. Ophidian Eye and perhaps Corpse Dance would help this. A casting cost of 3 does not seem too bad, considering that Thirst, Intuition, and Buried alive all cost 3. Also, Counter-Top is unconvincing with only 5 slots devoted to it, and Thirst seems bad without more artifacts (unless you happen to draw a spare Top or a Niv, you gain no card advantage).

The problem is probably finding a Curiosity when you need one. I see that you can go Mystical Tutor -> Buried Alive -> NivMizzets, but then you still need a reanimation spell and Curiosity, and Mystical Tutor can't get Curiosity (hence the advantage of Intuition).

-4 TfK
-3 Counterbalance
-2 Divining Top

+4 Ponder
+3 Ophidian Eye
+2 Corpse Dance

Doing this might (might!) make you faster and more consistent. CounterTop seems at odds with your gameplan - are you trying to combo out ASAP, or control the game first and then combo? Just my 2 cents.

rufus
01-30-2009, 10:38 AM
I think you should at least be able to hardcast Niv-Mizzet, even if that's a backup plan. Even so, the chain of cards required to combo off looks something like: pitch Niv into the yard -> reanimate Niv -> cast Curiosity on him.

For consistency and speeds's sake, you probably want more than 4 cards that do each of these actions. Ophidian Eye and perhaps Corpse Dance would help this. A casting cost of 3 does not seem too bad, considering that Thirst, Intuition, and Buried alive all cost 3. Also, Counter-Top is unconvincing with only 5 slots devoted to it, and Thirst seems bad without more artifacts (unless you happen to draw a spare Top or a Niv, you gain no card advantage).

I was wondering about the whole 'more cards' thing, and the best suggestions that I've been able to come up with so far is to play Shallow Grave in addition to vengeance as reanimators, and for reanimation targets something like Godo, Bandit Warlord, pulling Grafted Wargear - which turns sideways for a respectable 12 damage and sets up Niv-Mizzet or another Godo for finishing swings, or the old-fashioned Nicol Bolas.

Non-legend reanimation (Shallow Grave/Corpse Dance) would allow the deck to play Magus of the Jar, Dragon Mage, and Psychatog. The latter two aren't really budget cards, but that opens up hard casting a bit and there are some cute synergies with the deck's combo strategy.

Barsoom
01-31-2009, 08:11 AM
First thanks for all the suggestions.

There are 2 problems with hardcasting Niv; the first is that he costs 6cc, the second is that you would need a mana base with all duals and fetches for being able to support 3 colors.

Counterbalance was here cause primarily i was thinking this deck as a control-combo; you control the game with Countertop and counters until you can finish with the combo, all while tuning up your hand.
The all combo suggestion isn't bad though; i'll test a list like this:

4 Polluted Delta
9 Island
3 Swamp

4 Daze
4 Mana Leak

4 Brainstorm
4 Ponder
4 Careful Study
4 Duress
3 Mystical Tutor
1 Intuition