PDA

View Full Version : [Tournament] The Cavius Challenge @ Yourmovegames in Somerville, MA. Feb.22 2009

God Amongst Men
01-31-2009, 11:44 AM
Hi all. I'm holding a Legacy tournament in Somerville, MA. at YourMoveGames. Hopefully you guys will support this tournament in order to contribute to the Legacy format. But first and foremost have fun! Here's the tournament info.

What: The Cavius Challenge (Legacy tournament)

Where: YourMoveGames in Somerville, MA.

When: Sunday, February 22nd 2009. Doors will open at 11:00 am. tournament will start at 1:00 pm. (This event will be DCI sanctioned so bring your DCI cards!)

Prizes will be based on attendence and goes as follows.

25 People or more:
1st: $110 dollars store credit
2nd: $55 dollars store credit
3rd: $30 dollars store credit
4th: $30 dollars store credit

16 People or more:
1st: $80 dollars store credit
2nd: $40 dollars store credit
3rd: $20 dollars store credit
4th: $20 dollars store credit

10 People or less:
1st: $50 dollars store credit
2nd: $30 dollars store credit
3rd: $10 dollars store credit
4th: $10 dollars store credit

If 32 or more players show up there will be a Mox up for grabs!

Entry Fee: $8 dollars.

The store carries things like Mana Drains, Dual Lands, Moat, Eureka, and boosters which can easily consume the store credit that you earn.

Contact Info: 617-666-5799

Address:
YourMoveGames
389 Highland Ave.
Somerville, MA.

And last but not least! The door prize to this tournament will be a Near Mint Alpha Lich signed by your's truly, Cavius The Great. What better way to earn a piece of Magic history! Jokes aside, this is seriously the door prize.

Well, I hope you guys will support Legacy in the Boston area and this tournament may be just the thing to stimulate it. Let me know if I'm missing any details and I hope to see you there!

Banned for, well, ban evasion. The tourney advertisement can stay. - Bardo

from Cairo
02-01-2009, 01:01 AM
Looks good, will aim to be there.

Ebinsugewa
02-01-2009, 07:18 AM
I feel like the Cavius Challenge should have some sort of obscure deckbuilding rules. I feel thoroughly let down.

Peter_Rotten
02-01-2009, 07:54 AM
Wow - shouldn't the Cavius Challenge have been somethig like the following?

- The highest placing Lich deck will win Ridicule and Scorn
- The second highest placing Lich deck will win the ability to influence Germany
- The third highest placing Lich deck will win delusions of grandeur

Peter_Rotten
02-01-2009, 07:56 AM
And shouldn't it have been held on Cavius the Great Day?

Way to drop the ball :frown:. However, a tournament is a tournament. Hopefully you get plenty of peeps going and supporting the format.

Sanguine Voyeur
02-01-2009, 08:58 AM
A tournament less then two hours away from me? :D

I have every intention of going to this.

VsTheWorld
02-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Cavius-associated or not, I'm definitely there.

rockout
02-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Hmmm, 100+ miles. If I can get someone to go with me, I'll be there.

BKclassic
02-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Hmmmm, Boston is kinda close to Maine. Maybe.

metalman2785
02-02-2009, 01:20 AM
A tournament less then two hours away from me? :D

I feel the same way!!! This is awesome, finally a torny for us north shore mtg players. I will be there with at least 2 other people:laugh:

RoddyVR
02-02-2009, 09:33 AM
Would be better if this was on saturday cause i dont like missing the local tourny for far away ones, but i'll tell my brother in law about it (they live just down the street from YMG), and try to get him a real deck in time for this... If i'm visiting them that weekend i'll show up too.

sunshine
02-02-2009, 09:10 PM
I feel the same way!!! This is awesome, finally a torny for us north shore mtg players. I will be there with at least 2 other people:laugh:

I'm still waiting for that tourney for us northern mtg players :wink:. If this was even one week later I would definitely have made it down, bummmers.

BKclassic
02-02-2009, 11:31 PM
I'm still waiting for that tourney for us northern mtg players :wink:. If this was even one week later I would definitely have made it down, bummmers.

Big bummmers, indeed. :cry:

Slay
02-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Yeah sounds good probably. Hopefully I don't have any fraternity shit so I can come take you guys' money.
-Slay

BKclassic
02-05-2009, 01:26 AM
Well despite the nay-saying, 2/3 (aka 2 people) of Team Maine will brave the Cavius-ness to be in attendance.

RoddyVR
02-19-2009, 12:04 PM
I was gonna show up, but visiting relatives when one is sick is a nono, and if i aint visiting them, then this thing is too far to go to.

Hope it goes well, I would love for there to be some real legacy tournaments in boston (especialy if its at YMG's location) cause it'll give me good way to chose the weekends to go visit em and hopefully encourage them to join the legacy scene.

Zach Tartell
02-19-2009, 12:09 PM
I was gonna show up, but visiting relatives when one is sick is a nono, and if i aint visiting them, then this thing is too far to go to.

Hope it goes well, I would love for there to be some real legacy tournaments in boston (especialy if its at YMG's location) cause it'll give me good way to chose the weekends to go visit em and hopefully encourage them to join the legacy scene.

Don't worry - I'm sure that Cavius will make an account and then write a report about how many times he got beat up but didn't snitch, how he went 3-3 because his cards hadn't come in yet, and that Old English is the choice of champions.

VsTheWorld
02-19-2009, 12:30 PM
Work 4-midnight on Sunday means no Cavius Challenge for me. Weak.

ForceofWill
02-21-2009, 11:24 PM
I'll be there with 2 others.

Jaynel
02-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Do I dare ask what happened here? Did anyone clean house with Nourishing Lich? Who got the door prize?

ForceofWill
02-22-2009, 08:22 PM
For some reason there was no cut top 8 so it was swiss +1.

1st ray (fishman) merfolk
2nd me dreadstill
3-8 don't matter

Just kidding I don't know

Sanguine Voyeur
02-22-2009, 08:31 PM
23 players, not enough for deck to beat qualifications.

Morphling420
02-23-2009, 04:17 AM
Great tourny very generious prize support. Only issue was seating which worked out this time but i can see it being a problem in the future, the small rooms makes trading a hastle other then that though everything was perfect. Judge did a great job, no repairs, everything ran smoothly.

Oh yea forgot to mention the biggest fail was swiss plus one. This was the first time i encountered it and it really pissed me off since it stopped me from top 8ing. This should never be done again.

tivadar
02-23-2009, 10:05 AM
Cavius asked me to post that there were 27 people in attendance. I also recommended the T8 cut as well. Apparently that was a decision handed down from the store owner/judge due to time constraints. It'll be interesting if more of these happen. Is there such a thing as "acceptable ban evasion"?

BKclassic
02-23-2009, 02:47 PM
I played Dreadstill to a meager 3-3, but I did win the Lich. Hilarious. It also turns out that I already knew Cavius because he used to play Vintage in Maine years ago.

Edit- BG Rock got 3rd and TES played by Paradigm Shift got 8th.

Iamfishman
02-23-2009, 07:43 PM
If I didn't win the last round there could possibly have been 3-4 players who were 5-1.

Given the prize structure, this meant that two people who both went 5-1 could have received very different prizes of $110 store credit and $25 in store credit.

As if this doesn't seem BS enough, consider the fact that the thing that determined which of these players wins what is tiebreaker, namely opponents match win percentage, something that the 5-1 player had absolutely no control of. This seems VERY against the vision of a DCI that hates things like collusion because it feels that how a player does should be affected by outside sources as minimally as possible.

Seriously, you could go 5-1 and win more than 4 times as much as someone else with the same record simply because the outcomes of matches you had nothing to do with went a certain way.

Someone TOTALLY dropped the ball in making this tournament swiss +1. It was a huge insult to the players (if time is an issue, just start your tourney earlier as opposed to 1pm), and it will make me(and other people I heard talking throughout the day) think long and hard before going to YMG in the future.

cdr
02-23-2009, 09:19 PM
I don't know about this tournament in particular, but the most common case for using swiss+1 over playoffs is when there's a time constraint. You'll see it all the time at PT side events, for example.

Mathmatically it should only be possible for at most three players to be 5-1.

It does kind of suck for distributing prizes of significantly different value based on ranking because it almost always goes to tiebreakers, but tiebreakers are not exactly arbitrary.

As far as the DCI goes, all they care is that the tournament is at least three rounds. They couldn't care less about some random store tourney otherwise - and like I said, no one runs more swiss+1 events than Wizards itself.

Madmaniac21
02-23-2009, 11:37 PM
For some reason there was no cut top 8 so it was swiss +1.

1st ray (fishman) merfolk
2nd me dreadstill
3-8 don't matter

Just kidding I don't know

I think I should start getting a share as you just use my cards, kind of like a stake in poker ...

ForceofWill
02-24-2009, 12:20 AM
oh sure a share of $55 dollars of store credit I think I will give you a snickers.

Misplayer
02-24-2009, 07:43 AM
I think I should start getting a share as you just use my cards, kind of like a stake in poker ...

If we all got a share for letting Ben use our cards he'd have no credit left.