PDA

View Full Version : Rats Off to Ya!

scrow213
02-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Here is my Casual Rats deck. I think it is a ton of fun, and actually pretty good as well. First the list, then an explanation:

Rats Off to Ya! v1.0

Disruption:
4x Ravenous Rats
4x Nezumi Bone-Reader
4x Nezumi Shortfang
4x Chittering Rats
4x Okiba-Gang Shinobi

Beaters:
4x Swarm of Rats
4x Pestilence Rats

Utility/Combo:
2x Marrow-Gnawer

Other cards:
4x Skullclamp
3x Rite of Consumption

Lands:
19x Swamp
2x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
2x Swarmyard
--------------------------------------------------

Here are the reasons for each card in the deck, as well as anything else that might work in here somewhere:

Ravenous Rats - Basic, cheap disruption
Nezumi Bone-Reader - Turn extra Rats into more disruption
Nezumi Shortfang - Reusable discard, flips to become "The Rack" with legs
Chittering Rats - Takes a card out of hand, makes them redraw the card
Okiba-Gang Shinobi - Reuse "comes into play" abilities and get more discard

Swarm of Rats - 2 mana for a (usually) very high-power creature
Pestilence Rats - 3 mana for a big beater with 3 toughness

Marrow-Gnawer - Turns extra Rats into a lot of tokens, pumps Swarm and Pestilence Rats

Skullclamp - Insane card draw with any Rat. Double clamp Okiba-Gang, or clamp them and sac to Bone-Reader for discard and draw.
Rite of Consumption - Added to prevent loss when not able to attack. Sac a Swarm of Rats or a Pestilence Rats for lethal damage, or just to recover life. Great in Multiplayer!

Swamp - Black mana?

Other ideas
Here are some cards that may or may not be worked in somewhere:

Ratcatcher: He is a Rat tutor, but expensive, and I was trying to keep the deck Tribal.

Swarmyard: Awesome that it can regenerate any of them, but doesn't produce colored mana. Can be combined with Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth to get black mana.

Patriarch's Bidding: Gets them all back, however my play group uses a lot of Tribal decks, so this may not be any good.

Aphetto Dredging: Can get back up to three dead Rats.

Door of Destinies: Makes them all bigger, prevents auto-loss to Engineered Plague. Worth the slots?

Pack's Disdain: Cheap removal for large creatures. Would prefer to just overrun my opponents anyway.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Edit: Changed list slightly

Zappa
02-09-2009, 12:57 AM
It looks like an interesting deck to say the least. I just worry about the safety of your ratsshould you run into cards like:

Infest
Engineered Plague
Darkblast
Pyroclasm

Then there's also worry of a resolved Jitte. I understand that alot of creatures you play works wonders with Skullclamp, but the the mentioned cards effect against your deck is also pretty brutal.

Have you also considered Volrath's Stronghold for the deck. recurring your little guys is pretty nice.

Also since you are running swarmyard, as an alternate win condition, and possible board control, have you also considered running Crypt Rats for your swarmyard?