PDA

View Full Version : [Report] BUG ANT – Top 8 at The Grid

B.C.
02-16-2009, 12:10 PM
Even though nobody else from Team Car wanted to go, I made the solo trip from Boston to Manchester, CT for what I expected to be a good sized Legacy tournament, and more importantly a much needed tune up for GP Chicago. It did not disappoint. 36 players, 6 rounds of Swiss, with good representation from the best of New England’s Legacy players. Here’s what I played:

BUG ANT

4 Polluted Delta
2 Flooded Strand
2 Bloodstained Mire
2 Underground Sea
1 Tropical Island
1 Bayou
1 Swamp
1 Island
3 Chrome Mox
4 Lotus Petal
4 Lion’s Eye Diamond
4 Dark Ritual
4 Cabal Ritual
4 Duress
4 Thoughtseize
4 Mystical Tutor
4 Brainstorm
3 Ponder
3 Infernal Tutor
2 Ad Nauseam
1 Tendrils of Agony
1 Ill-Gotten Gains
1 Krosan Grip

Sideboard:
4 Xantid Swarm
3 Dark Confidant
2 Krosan Grip
2 Slaughter Pact
1 Hurkyll’s Recall
1 Rebuild
1 Swamp
1 Mox Diamond

This is a pretty standard ANT list, with a couple small changes. Most importantly, I have dropped W completely, replacing the customary 4 Orim’s Chant with 4 Thoughtseize. My rationale for this decision is fourfold. 1) It allows you to drop an entire color. This lets you run a much more reliable mana base or have a stronger splash of another color, which I have done. 2) Thoughtseize is superior to Orim’s Chant against proactive disruption. This includes Duress/Thoughtseize/Hymn, Counterbalance, Sphere effects, Canonist, Meddling Mage, Gaddock Teeg, etc. 3) Against counters, Thoughtseize and Orim’s Chant often do the same thing. When playing against heavy control, making them get rid of their FOW etc. is absolutely necessary. This can be achieved just as easily by Thoughtseizing it out of their hand as by having your Orim’s Chant countered. Additionally, Thoughtseize is often played a turn before going off, so it does not tie up any of your mana on the turn that you are trying to win. 4) The “residual disruption” effect of Orim’s Chant that protects an IGG loop can be achieved post-board by Xantid Swarm. The only difference is that Xantid Swarm works every turn that it’s in play.

The other change I have made from typical ANT lists is my inclusion of G. I have 2 G dual lands and a Krosan Grip in the main, with 2 more Grips and 4 Xantid Swarms in the board. Grip is the best removal spell for Counterbalance and most other permanent-based disruption. Xantid Swarm has tested very well against heavy control decks. It is a turn 1 must-counter.

On to the tournament.

Round 1: “Judge” Joe – Survival

Game 1: I Thoughtseize early, taking a Faerie Macabre, and win on turn 3 with little resistance.
-4 Duress, +1 Swamp, +1 Mox Diamond, +2 Slaughter Pact

Game 2: I keep a good hand and attempt an Ad Nauseam on turn 3. He plays Orim’s Chant in response to Ad Nauseam. This stops my combo, but allows me to completely refill my hand. On my next turn I attempt to Infernal Tutor with lots of mana floating, but he has Orim’s Chant #2. I am left with pretty much no hand, and he Eternal Witnesses back one of his Chants just in case.
+4 Duress, -1 Swamp, -1 Mox Diamond, -1 Slaughter Pact, -1 Ponder

Game 3: I have my Duresses back to answer his Chants, but this time he goes the Cabal Therapy route. He has two, and he casts and flashes back several times, using Eternal Witnesses to refill his hand. My lone Slaughter Pact is a discard victim, and he lands Gaddock Teeg to seal it.

0-1, 1-2

Round 2: Mike – TES

Game 1: He mulligans to 5. I keep a hand with 3 LED, Brainstorm, Mystical, 2 lands. I am on the play, so I play a land and 2 LEDs and pass. He plays a City of Brass and passes. I am pretty sure he isn’t running FOW, so I Mystical up Ad Nauseam and cast it during my Draw Step. It resolves and I win.
+3 Confidant, -1 Ponder, -1 Cabal Rit, -1 Krosan Grip

Game 2: He mulligans to 5 again. I spend my first couple of turns Duressing and Toughtseizing. He casts Brainstorm each time, hiding Ad Nauseam and Cabal Rit (I asked him after the match). Regardless, I take his Cabal Rit and Mystical Tutor and cast my own Ad Nauseam on turn 3 or 4 and win.

1-1, 3-2

Round 3: Paired up against Jeff (2-0) – Eva Green

Game 1: He plays Hymn to Tourach on his second and third turns. Each time I play Brainstorm to hide my Dark Rit, Ad Nauseam. I discard some good stuff, but nothing too important. I am able to play Ad Nauseam on turn 4 or so and win.
No board

Game 2: He plays Thoughtseize on his first turn, taking my Infernal Tutor. I don’t remember exactly what my hand was, but I remember thinking that this was the wrong card to take. He follows a couple turns later with Choke. None of my lands are tapped, so I just shrug. They’re Lotus Petals now. A turn later he plays Hypnotic Specter, and I realize it’s time to do this thing. On my next turn I am able to play Ad Nauseam and win before Hippie gets in there.

2-1, 5-2. After the match, Jeff is amiably complaining that he got paired down and lost to one of his best matchups. Frankly, I consider this matchup pretty favorable as well. Discard effects are mostly ignorable in my opinion, particularly with 4 Brainstorm, 4 Mystical Tutor.

Round 4: Jeremiah Rudolf – Transmuter Artifacts

I am excited for this matchup. Jeremiah is a very good player and always has excellent original decks. I have no idea how this will shake out.

Game 1: I Thoughtseize/Duress, seeing nothing I’m really worried about. I take his TfK, in case there is something scarier just below the surface. I resolve Ad Nauseam a turn or two later and win.
+1 Hurkyll’s Recall, +1 Rebuild, +2 Krosan Grip, +3 Confidant, -3 Ponder, -1 C Rit, -1 Chrome Mox, -1 Duress, -1 ???

Game 2: I Duress/Thoughtseize turn 1, seeing a bunch of lands, Sphere of Resistance, Trinisphere. I take his Sphere of Resistance, and don’t worry too much about Trinisphere since I drew 3 lands and Hurkyll’s Recall. A couple turns later Trinisphere hits the board. At his end of turn, I Hurkyll’s him (also getting 2 Seats) and Ad Nauseam/win on my turn.

3-1, 7-2. This matchup was surprisingly favorable. Jeremiah’s deck has FOW, and he brought in several permanent-based disruption pieces. Maybe my hands were just good.

Round 5: Brian – Goblins

Game 1: I have 2 lands, D Rit, C Rit, Ad Nauseam, but he does a remarkable job of keeping me off Ad Nauseam with a Port and a Wasteland. He has a Lackey that at first was just attacking for 1 with no effects, but finally gets a SGC in play and makes short work of me.
+2 Krosan Grip, +1 Swamp, +1 Mox Diamond, -4 Duress

Game 2: I Thoughtseize turn 1, seeing something like Badlands, Port, Piledriver, Warchief, Ringleader, Earwig Squad. I take Piledriver, leaving him with no immediate plays. Over the next few turns I play 2 Brainstorms and 1 Ponder, shuffling several times, but I am still not in a position to win. He is on 3 lands (Badland, Port, Waste), but still can’t play any of his dudes. I have 2 LED, 2 C Rit, Ponder in hand, but he keeps tapping my Island during Upkeep. He eventually hits land #4 (another Port) and plays Ringleader, attacks, then flashes back Cabal Therapy naming C Rit instead of setting up Earwig Squad the next turn. On my turn I rip Infernal Tutor off the top, then combo out with LED/IGG loop. This was a very stressful game.

Game 3: He plays Cabal Therapy blind naming Brainstorm, but misses (I had 2 Ponder). He plays Piledriver, flashes back Therapy taking my Ad Nauseam, but I am able to Mystical Tutor another one and play it for the win.

4-1, 9-3

Round 6: Jason (I think) – Goyf Sligh – ID. Jason’s friend is trying to get him to dream crush me so he has a better chance at Top 8, but I think I could have won. It seems pretty favorable. Who knows.

The Top 8 seems really good for me. The other decks are Survival, Merfolk, Goblins, Painter, Dragon Stompy, Eva Green, Goyf Sligh. Of those only Merfolk and to a lesser extent Dragon Stompy really worry me. Of course I get paired with Merfolk. And after I had jokingly told Ray I was going to crush him in the Top 8.

Top 8: Ray Robillard – Merfolk

Game 1: I keep a hand with Bloostained Mire, Thoughtseize, D Rit, C Rit, Ad Nauseam, Mystical Tutor… This hand has a good chance of a second turn Ad Nauseam if I can protect with Thoughtseize and then draw a land/acceleration. Unfortunately, Ray plays Island go, and when I crack my Mire it gets Stifled. I sit on no lands for about 4 turns. When I get another land I am still in a position where I can play D Rit, Duress, C Rit, C Rit, Ad Nauseam at about 10 life, but Ray smartly FOWs the D Rit. His ever growing dudes finish me in no time.
+4 Xantid Swarm, +3 Dark Confidant, -3 Ponder, -1 Chrome Mox, -1 C Rit, -2 Duress

Game 2: I have a second turn unprotected Ad Nauseam that gets pushed to third turn because of a Cursecatcher. I play LED, at which point Ray is acting very much like he has FOW. Almost too much. Ray’s a very good player, so I think that he might just be acting like he has FOW to make me hesitate and not try to go off. I play D Rit and Ad Nauseam without activating LED. He sacs Cursecatcher, I activate LED to pay for it. He FOWs my Ad Nauseam. We both play off the top for a few turns, but he rebuilds a lot faster than I do and his fishes beat me soundly.

Merfolk was a very bad matchup for me. It had lots and lots of counters, plus all kinds of dudes that provide a fairly fast clock. I don’t know what I could have done differently. Final standings 4-2, 9-5, 5th-8th place. I get my $20 back for my trouble. If you don’t count all the gas, food, and tolls I played Magic for free.

If I were playing the deck again tomorrow I wouldn’t change the main deck at all. I only mulliganed twice all day, and I never fizzled on an Ad Nauseam. I was never in a situation where I wished Thoughtseize was Orim’s Chant, and the life loss from Thoughtseize was not an issue. I think I want Tarmogoyfs in the board, though. I would probably go +4 Tarmogoyf, -1 Swamp, -1 Mox Diamond, -1 Krosan Grip, -1 Dark Confidant/Slaughter Pact. Tarmo could have helped me a lot against Goblins and Merfolk, and maybe even against Survival. I’ll be testing it.

Anyway, it was a good tournament. I like the deck a lot. I’ll be playing it in Chicago. See you all there.

jazzykat
02-16-2009, 02:29 PM
Wow, this deck is sex!!!

I played against goblins and I experimentally boarded in Tarmo's for duress and then I decided to put in DC for a grip and 2 thoughtseize (maybe not the best idea?)

The poor guy was subjected to Tarmo and DC beat down while I created an anemic storm of 4 to kill him on my last turn of life.

Could you share with us your sideboarding strategy?

loveisgreen
02-16-2009, 07:09 PM
The only thing I question is the inclusion of Krosan Grip in the main. What can it do that Wipe Away can't? Wipe Away has the added advantage of getting rid of Gaddock Teeg and (in my metagame anyway) Glowrider. Anyway congrats on the finish and i'll be testing the deck for Chicago as well.

KillemallCFH
02-16-2009, 08:10 PM
The only thing I question is the inclusion of Krosan Grip in the main. What can it do that Wipe Away can't? Wipe Away has the added advantage of getting rid of Gaddock Teeg and (in my metagame anyway) Glowrider. Anyway congrats on the finish and i'll be testing the deck for Chicago as well.Wipe Away is useless against CB/Chalice except when you're about to go off. With Grip, you can permanently get rid of their CB/Chalice as soon as you hit 3 mana, and be free to set yourself up (via cantrips, Mystical, Duresseizes) over the next couple of turns.

B.C.
02-17-2009, 11:51 AM
Wipe Away is useless against CB/Chalice except when you're about to go off. With Grip, you can permanently get rid of their CB/Chalice as soon as you hit 3 mana, and be free to set yourself up (via cantrips, Mystical, Duresseizes) over the next couple of turns.

This.

I played against goblins and I experimentally boarded in Tarmo's for duress and then I decided to put in DC for a grip and 2 thoughtseize (maybe not the best idea?)

The poor guy was subjected to Tarmo and DC beat down while I created an anemic storm of 4 to kill him on my last turn of life.

That seems like a perfectly cromulent way to win a game. I'm not sure I would bring in DC. I think I would rather have brought in more Grips in case they side in Pyro Pillar or Thorn or something.

As to sideboarding, if I am playing against a deck that does not have counters (such as Goblins, Sligh, Survival, Loam, etc.) I usually don't side more than about 4-6 cards. I think your best chance is to try to combo off fast. I start by taking out Duress, and bringing in Tarmogoyf, or you could bring in Grip/Hurkyll's/Rebuild if you expect permanent-based hate, or Slaughter Pact if you expect Teeg or Mage.

Playing against a heavy control deck is obviously much harder. I am still working on exactly how many of which cards to bring in and out. Xantid Swarms and Confidants are obviously in, and I usually start by taking out -3 Ponder, -2 Duress/Thoughtseize, -1 Cabal Rit, -1 Chrome Mox. Tarmogoyf could come in if it's something with a faster clock like Merfolk, but I might leave him out if it's Landstill or something much slower. An extra Krosan Grip would also help against CB, but at this point it's hard to figure out what else to take out. Maybe another Duress/Thoughtseize, -1 LED, -1 Ad Nauseam... It's tough.

Jaynel
02-17-2009, 12:11 PM
Do you bring in Xantid Swarm against decks that would bring in Chant from the board, or do you just depend on discard to clear the way?

B.C.
02-17-2009, 12:44 PM
Do you bring in Xantid Swarm against decks that would bring in Chant from the board, or do you just depend on discard to clear the way?

I would probably just depend on Duress/Thoughtseize.

jazzykat
02-17-2009, 01:16 PM
With regards to playing against counterspell decks I usually take out an AdN and/or the IGG. My logic here being that I'm only going to get 1 shot and I may be at lower than optimal life so I want to set up and make my one shot count.... I'm not sure if that's right but that's what I do.

I'm also testing divert (cutting goyf: GASP) in my board because my meta is rife with burn, discard and other stupid things of that ilk.