PDA

View Full Version : Oh ye Gods, 3-3 UWb landstill at OP legacy.

Mijorre
03-29-2009, 03:42 PM
There, I spilled the beans. All you need to know is in the title.

Of course, I will now, for my own pleasure and entertainment explain in horrific lack of detail how it went.
You see, I decided to get a landstill deck after my previous horrid tourney experience with Angel Stompy ("So, your deck plays Loam and Top? Awesome. Mine plays Armageddon and such. I'll just scoop now.") and found UWb to be quite interesting.

The list, as I ran it:

23 Lands
2 Plains
2 Island
1 Swamp
4 Tundra
1 Underground Sea
3 Polluted Delta
3 Flooded Strand
2 Wasteland
3 Mishra's Factory
1 Academy Ruins
1 Scrubland

19 Instant
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Force of Will
3 Counterspell
3 Spell Snare
2 Fact or Fiction
3 Brainstorm

8 Sorcery
2 Decree of Justice
3 Vindicate
3 Wrath of God

4 Enchantment
4 Standstill

1 Creature
1 Eternal Dragon

3 Artifact
2 Engineered Explosives
1 Crucible of Worlds

2 Planeswalker
2 Elspeth

Side:
2 Sorcery
2 Chainer's Edict

7 Enchantment
4 Engineered Plague
3 Runed Halo

4 Creature
4 Meddling Mage

2 Planeswalker
2 Ajani Goldmane

My matches, in short order and with some form of description:

1) Against Mark, posting here as Reagens (if I read his handwriting correctly :S)
I win the roll, he mulligans. He resolves a standstill that I eventually break at end of turn with fact or fiction. There is some Elspeth and Ajani shenanigans on his behalf, which are solved with vindicate. I then proceed to utilize a crucible and a wasteland to great effect.
1-0
Second game, I side in something irrelevant, as I get a happy little wastelock going. He has nothing left on the board by turn 10. Into scoop.
2-0, 1-0 in matches.

2) Against Martijn, playing FaeRock (and not knowing the Source).
Though I win the roll, he totally runs over me with Bitterblossom, Top, loads of non-basic lands, Elspeth (who I nuked. Very nuked), Witness returning Elspeth (at which I frowned) and the bash to the head. C'est la vie.

Game two is more in my favour. 4 Meddling mages hop in to disrupt the Bitterblossom, I get a wasteland - crucible thingy going on. Yeah. That's game. He scoops after Thoughtseize resolves, for some reason :P.

Game three has more of the same. I Meddling on Vindicate, the mage gets a plow, I play standstill and have to break it as he has a factory beating me to 14. I then proceed to play crucible with protection and win from there.

Up to 2-0 with me :3
Random note: Crucible is awesome. Wasteland is pretty good too.

3) Against Sander, running Enchantress (and not being a Sourcer)
Game one has the following notes:
'cate (Karmic Justice), 'cate (sacred ground), counter (things), ...
Eventually Presence resolves, he gets a huge board going. He then plays Solitary Confinement with a moat down, a bloodmoon, an o-ring on my crucible, ghostly prison and a Sigil of the Empty Throne.
Eep.
I kill his enchantress with WoG.
He cannot keep his confinement and goes all-out on a single presence, getting two angels.
I Plow the angels, topdeck explosives, run out explosives for 3, get back my crucible (kaboom), watch as he resolves another angel, hardcast decree for FOUR angels. Win from there.
Game two has:
Meddling mage -> Presence
Meddling mage -> O' ring
Vindicate -> forest
Elspeth -> scoop.

Yup. 3-0. This is where I find out that the top 8 is going to have a play-off. And I have to get up at 5:40 to go to work the next day. Ieh. This may have influenced my mulligan decisions :(.

Luckily enough, my next opponent is very happy to give a clear statement on how to allow me to escape top 8.
He plays some sort of Eva Green or GBW Rock. This one could go either way, it's not like I saw lots of the deck. Notes go:
Game 1: Turn 1 dark ritual into Confidant + top -> Card Advantage (vindicate) -> Goyf -> win.
Game 2: Turn 1 dark ritual into hypnotic specter -> goyf -> colourscrew.

So 0-2 on this one, 3-1 in games.

Then I play Maarten with Affinity, God knows if he has an account here. Cool guy though.
Game 1: Too quick, good draw, involves vial. Frown.
Game 2: He opens: Ornithoper. Scratches head. Facepalms. Remembers Springleaf Drum costs :1:. Scoops. (Turn 1 kill with landstill. Yay!)
Game 3: I get stuck on all colours except double white. I have two wraths in my hand and an Elspeth. Sad face.

So 3-2. This is not too bad, right? My next match is bound to be decent.

Oh look. It's burn. Very sad face. Player wrote his name down as Camstra.
Game 1: LOADS of bolts. Some suspended, some straight. Also, Price of Progress.
Game 2: LOADS of bolts. Some suspended, some straight. Also, Price of Progress.

>_<. That...kind...of...sucked.
3-3.

Ah well, a good time was had by me though. Some photos on
facebook (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=238586&id=745645462&l=dfbd49ede5)

Oh, minor interesting detail, there was someone modding cards on site. I would not know for the life of me who it was, but they looked quite cool ^^.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
03-29-2009, 04:04 PM
If you had played Dromar's Charm...

Mijorre
03-29-2009, 04:22 PM
It'll be on my playtest list, maybe pile, third from the right, I swear.

Ectoplasm
03-29-2009, 05:30 PM
Nice picture of my cousin Bart :eek:

citanul
03-30-2009, 03:38 AM
It's funny how both me and my cousin do the thumb thing :).

Mijorre
03-30-2009, 03:32 PM
Clearly, the Fonz is still influencing the minds of Rock players?

citanul
03-30-2009, 03:59 PM
Probably. I just want to state here, despite what the picture sais, I HATE Veteran Explorer.

Mijorre
03-30-2009, 04:09 PM
@ Ectoplasm: Oh yes, my picture skills are awesome. Or something along those lines. Next time, I'm doing an actual photo-report.

@ Citanul: I added sarcasm tags of a dubious nature. Happy now? ^^

Waikiki
03-31-2009, 08:45 AM
Yay im the pairing dude. the guy that went no pictures please is Jeroen who split in the finals

Mijorre
03-31-2009, 03:29 PM
Brilliant :) That means I was pretty close to winners at some point :D.
I sure hope Werner manages to pull out a new tourney pretty quick, I really enjoyed this one.

citanul
04-01-2009, 03:11 AM
There's one in Hasselt on the 19th of April. Why don't you just roam the world and actually go somewhere else as well?

And the sarcasm tags make it seem like I like LIKE! them ;). (so many likes).

Mijorre
04-01-2009, 11:57 AM
Because I only have friday and saturday off.
:(.
I love roaming though, so once I get enough overtime in...