PDA

View Full Version : [Casual] Making a Warcraft 3 Themed Deck with Hero mechanics

AcidFiend
03-29-2009, 10:54 PM
Hi,

I play War3 with my mates and wanted to create a deck based on the units for each race. These decks will only play against 'each other' therefore their power level can be pretty low. I have only fleshed out the 'Human' based deck so far. Any suggestions or decklists for other races appreciated!

Hero mechanics:
-Each Hero can cast one of his nominated spells per turn for without paying its mana cost
-Each deck contains 4 legends, to represent the 4 heroes of that race
-If a creature a Hero dealt damage to is put into a graveyard this turn, that Hero gets a +1/+1 counter
-When Heroes die, they are removed from game
-When a Hero is removed from game, during your upkeep you may pay its Revive cost (casting cost). If you do, it gains 4 Time Counters (Remove a time counter in your upkeep. When the last time counter is removed, put this card into play).

4 x Volunteer Militia / 3 x Militia's Pride (Peasants/Militia)
4 x Duergar Assailant (Riflemen)
4 x White Knight (Footmen)
2 x Cavalry Master (Knight)
4 x Flying Men (Gyrocopter)
2 x Armored Griffen (Gryphon)
1 x Castle (Castle)
1 x Auriok Siege Sled (Steam Tank)

1 x Ith, High Arcanist (Archmage)
1 x Water Elemental (Water Elemental)
1 x Unearthly Blizzard (Blizzard)

1 x Konda, Lord of Eiganjo (Mountain King)
2 x Thunderbolt (Thunderbolt)

<insert 'Paladin' card here>
2 x Healing Salve (Healing Light)

<insert 'Bloodmage card here>
1 x Shivan Phoenix (Phoenix)
1 x Flameshot (Flame Strike)

14 x Plains
3 x Mountain
3 x Island
3 x Terramorphic Expanse
2 x Coastal Tower

Thoughts? :smile:

Nihil Credo
03-30-2009, 10:15 AM
Rule question: are the Hero spells both in the deck and freely castable by the Heroes in play? It seems you should pick one.

The Paladin can be any of a dozen such cards in the game; Pentarch Paladin seems the most appropriate in terms of power level compared to the other hero cards. If you really want a legendary creature, Crovax Ascendant or Darien should do the job. You can also add a protection-type effect to represent Divine Shield: Shelter or Razor Barrier come to mind. Lumithread Field (face-up only) or Parapet can stand for Devotion Aura, but it's probably better to skip that since the other Auras are hard to translate.

For the Mountain King, Hurly-Burly could represent Thunder Clap.

For the Blood Mage, Kaervek or Kumano are good candidates. I'd also cut Shard Phoenix for consistency reasons, since no other Hero has (nor, I think, should have) access to his Ultimate. Banish could be added instead, represented by Turn to Mist.

Some unit suggestions:

Flying Machine -> Roterothopter or Drill-Skimmer or whatever flying artifact creature works best
Riflemen -> Alaborn Musketeers maybe? Got to pick between dwarves and rifles

This is actually pretty fun to plot. I may come back later for some of the other decks.

CaptShetz
03-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Paladin: Do the hero cards need to be legendary?
Parapet (Devotion Aura)

Mountain King:
Stun (Bash)

Jaya would be a good Bloodmage.

Not sure how to make the Archmage's Brilliance Aura work, nor the Blood Mage's syphon mana.

AcidFiend
03-31-2009, 09:10 PM
Rule question: are the Hero spells both in the deck and freely castable by the Heroes in play? It seems you should pick one.

Hmm I'm not sure what you mean.. the intention was that the Hero 'ability' spells can be cast for zero if that Hero is in play. Any suggestions on mechanics very welcome though :)

The Paladin can be any of a dozen such cards in the game; Pentarch Paladin seems the most appropriate in terms of power level compared to the other hero cards. If you really want a legendary creature, Crovax Ascendant or Darien should do the job.

Its a shame PP & Darien are on horses, as Paladin isn't. Crovax looks good, although its a shame he weakens our non-white cards.

You can also add a protection-type effect to represent Divine Shield: Shelter or Razor Barrier come to mind.

Shelter it is.

Lumithread Field (face-up only) or Parapet can stand for Devotion Aura, but it's probably better to skip that since the other Auras are hard to translate.

Yeah I was thinking to avoid auras, just get the abilities that are easily represented.

For the Mountain King, Hurly-Burly could represent Thunder Clap.

For the Blood Mage, Kaervek or Kumano are good candidates. I'd also cut Shard Phoenix for consistency reasons, since no other Hero has (nor, I think, should have) access to his Ultimate. Banish could be added instead, represented by Turn to Mist.

Hurly-Burly is cool, and Shard Phoenix is probably imbalanced hehe. I think Kumano + Turn to Mist.

Flying Machine -> Roterothopter or Drill-Skimmer or whatever flying artifact creature works best

I didn't think of artifact creatures. Drill-Skimmer is more like it.

Riflemen -> Alaborn Musketeers maybe? Got to pick between dwarves and rifles

Oh wow Alaborn Musketeers is a near-perfect fit! Nice find.

Paladin: Do the hero cards need to be legendary?

Yeah I'd prefer them to be.

Mountain King:
Stun (Bash)

I like it.

Jaya would be a good Bloodmage.

Jaya is sexy and on-theme but I'd prefer to keep the sexes accurate hehe.

Ok so after all that, here is an updated list!! I doubled up some abilities because we had the space. If you feel its better filled in with other unit cards let me know.

Humans

4 Volunteer Militia (Peasants/Militia)
4 Alaborn Musketeers (Riflemen)
4 White Knight (Footmen)
3 Cavalry Master (Knight)
2 Drill-skimmer (Gyrocopter)
2 Armored Griffen (Gryphon)
1 Castle (Castle)
1 Auriok Siege Sled (Steam Tank)

1 Ith, High Arcanist (Archmage)
1 Water Elemental (Water Elemental)
1 Unearthly Blizzard (Blizzard)

1 Konda, Lord of Eiganjo (Mountain King)
1 Thunderbolt (Thunderbolt)
1 Hurly-Burly (Thunderclap)
1 Stun (Bash)

1 Crovax (Paladin)
2 Healing Salve (Healing Light)
1 Shelter

1 Kumano (Bloodmage
1 Flameshot (Flame Strike)
2 Turn to Mist

12 Plains
5 Mountain
3 Island