PDA

View Full Version : [Classic Vanguard] The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, aka, Dakkon Blue

TheInfamousBearAssassin
05-14-2009, 07:53 PM
So, I'm pretty sure I've fucking busted this format in half. Classic is the online Eternal format- every card that's been released online, with a restricted list. Cards like Flash and Mana Crypt are restricted, although Necropotence isn't. Vanguard is Vanguard.

Dakkon Blackblade is a vanguard only legal in Classic that's absolutely insane;

Starting Hand: +1
Starting Life: +0
You may play any colored card from your hand as a copy of a basic land card chosen at random that can produce mana of one of the card's colors.

This is one of those effects that takes a second to think about; I know I met at least one person online who took this for, "Try to play a three color deck".

What it's actually busted in is any monocolor deck where you really want to run sixty spells and never get mana screwed (or flooded).

I spent some time tinkering around with cheap cards, and I've currently been wrecking face with this;

Counters:
4x Force Spike
4x Annul
4x Counterspell
4x Mana Leak
4x Remove Soul
4x Faerie Trickery
2x Spell Burst

Bounce:
4x Repeal
4x Echoing Truth

Card Draw:
4x Brainstorm
4x Peek
4x Lat-Nam's Legacy
4x Think Twice
4x Fathom Seer
2x Flash of Insight

Kill Conditions:
2x Meloku, the Clouded Mirror
2x Goblin Charbelcher

Vanguard:
1x Dakkon Blackblade

I should note that this is a budget version that could be built for less than ten dollars. Cards that would be good in the deck but are too rich for my blood are Daze ($9 each online, due to the fact that you can only get them in the Jace vs. Chandra boxed set), Stifle, Cryptic Command, Cunning Wish (for random things like Brain Freeze and Hibernation to deal with Progenitus), and obviously Force of Will (a whopping $300+ a playset online).

Some more affordable cards I'll probably make room for soon are Impulse (replacing Legacy, the weakest draw in testing so far- pretty much just there to get rid of cards with Brainstorm), Propaganda (probably replacing Repeal), and Disrupting Shoal (replacing I dunno yet. Probably Spell Burst plus a couple other things). And Dissipate would be strictly, if marginally, better than Faerie Trickery.

One card you should never cut is Fathom Seer. It was just filler when I put it in, but it basically says 2- Draw 4 cards. Put a 1/3 into play.

The deck loses to a few specific avatars- Jhoira tends to be problematic, and Momir Vig and Braids, Cabal Conjurer just straight up wreck you- but otherwise it's pretty much an unstoppable machine. I'm fairly sure I reduced a few opponents to tears.

A white version with Orim's Chant, Mana Tithe, Moats and Runed Halos and Wrath of Gods might be better, although it would lack the insane card draw. You could always use Enlightened Tutor + Top I suppose.

Roman Candle
05-16-2009, 01:17 PM
I dunno how expensive Fact or Fictions are, but they seem extra stupid here.

syssc9
05-18-2009, 10:57 AM
Gosh, I don't know where you are buying cards, but you surely need a new venue! eBay average for FoW over the last month or so is $20 a pop. Far from cheap, but also far from $300/set. Daze shows up as $0.96. Hey wait; where do these kind of prices show up? I'd love to unload a few cards at even half these prices.

KillemallCFH
05-18-2009, 11:25 AM
Gosh, I don't know where you are buying cards, but you surely need a new venue! eBay average for FoW over the last month or so is $20 a pop. Far from cheap, but also far from $300/set. Daze shows up as $0.96. Hey wait; where do these kind of prices show up? I'd love to unload a few cards at even half these prices.
Classic is the online Eternal format...

FoulQ
05-18-2009, 11:46 AM
syssc, please tell me you were trolling/joking.

Otherwise you just lost the internet.

syssc9
05-18-2009, 11:50 AM
Sorry. As my youngest daughter would say, "Well DUH, dad!" MOTL says $280 for FoW. Guess that must be why I don't play Magic Online.

rufus
05-18-2009, 01:33 PM
A landless deck + Recross the Paths should be solidly breakable.

elof
05-19-2009, 06:32 AM
Daze must be awesome however, doesn't that mean that you can take back any card put down or does it come back as a Island?

Roman Candle
05-23-2009, 07:48 PM
I think Curse of Chains could be solid here... I realize that it has a 50% chance of being a plains, but I think it balances that out by being solid spot removal.

Also, IBA, is Classic Vanguard tournament-supported?

Infinitium
05-24-2009, 04:39 PM
How much is a playset of High Tide? Solidarity looks crazy good with that ability.

Dark_Shakuras
06-15-2009, 05:38 PM
How much is a playset of High Tide? Solidarity looks crazy good with that ability.

It would be if Reset and Turnabout were printed. Sadly they don't exist (yet).