sb
2 red elemental blast
2 pyroblast
3 tormods crypt
3 krosan grip
2 pithing needle
1 meltdown
2 shattering spree

I had good matchups , didn't play against ANT or TES... I had a lot of good draws and top decking... My opp(s) some had game changing play errors. You know who I'm talking about if you were those people

I played against 2 counter top style decks, 1 zoo, 1 goblins and 1 B/g deck, 1 merfolk, 1 survival elves . and others

grim lavamanecer MVP

finish report later

thefreakaccident
06-01-2009, 09:10 AM
Mike Farrell (1st) Lotus Moxen Bazaar
1 Barbarian Ring
4 Taiga
7 mountain
4 bloodstained mire
4 wooded foothills
4 tarmogoyf
4 mogg fanatic
4 figure of destiny
4 grim lavamancer
3 keldon marauders
2 vexing shusher
3 fireblast
4 price of progress
4 lightning bolt
4 chain lightning
4 magma jet

sb
2 red elemental blast
2 pyroblast
3 tormods crypt
3 krosan grip
2 pithing needle
1 meltdown
2 shattering spree

I had good matchups , didn't play against ANT or TES... I had a lot of good draws and top decking... My opp(s) some had game changing play errors. You know who I'm talking about if you were those people

I played against 2 counter top style decks, 1 zoo, 1 goblins and 1 B/g deck, 1 merfolk, 1 survival elves . and others

grim lavamanecer MVP

finish report later

Kicked ass? Took Names?

Should be an interesting report to read when you actually get around to it :smile:

Albplayer
06-01-2009, 12:27 PM
ok! where did I leave off? oh !

grim lavamanecer MVP

And now the rest!

Its ok to drink at a 1.5 tourney as long as your over 21.... I did have x number of under age people ask me for drinks.. Say no! know matter how cool they say you are....lol...

First off let me say I had a great time and will definitely continue to go to Eli's tourneys .. but...
I wish there where more table in the middle where there was nothing ... I like to go to only 3 matches per table instead of four.. I am over weight :}
There was a mic set up at the far end of the room, next to the stage , I wish to "TO" used that, I made out most of what was said anyways. When I drew into the top8 my car went to get some spedies ( local sandwich ). Don't, you should go to tulys and get food instead. When we got back they where closing the place (tournament location) and I found out the tourney finals where being moved to the store and the finals won't start for another hour (dinner break) would have like to have known earlier lol, it was 9 and the tourney will start again at 10:15pm... remember 3 hour drive for mr to get home ... Did I mention I got back home at 4 in the morning lol....

now the goods, cards I got hellspark promo for entering, dan got a path to exile promo... I won a lotus and 4 volcanic islands. Dan won a mox emerald..

I don't remember to much about playing , bad memory, but what I do I will tell :

everyone I played was nice, real nice , except the non emotional goblin player who was still a nice guy...If I screw up the exact round or events, I'm sorry and help

Round one was a deck with top and counter balance, , I have main deck shusher and red spells, side in red blasts/pyro and grips, ...and win.. I hate to say it but any match that I've ever played the winning side get out 2 or more goyfs and the other side get only one or none and looses!
1:0

round two another counter top deck, yes same thing happened as first round.. My opp says to me when we sit down, you played me round one of the mana leak open and won it playing goyf sligh... I said yes I remember!
2:0

round three dredge/ icharid (MS) ;;; I played this guy from Syracuse ( i going to call him cookies) the previous weekend same match up.. I went first i believe with a mogg fanatic and win, I will say both games vs him he had bad draws and I know he muled at least once. games two I think I muled to another fanatic and drew and turn 3 crypt ( sided in crypt and sprees) and then he had no discard or dredge out let I win... he had to therapy to get a dredge outlet.... when the 1/1 guy that got put into play from dredging , they just died to burn or a fanatic..,, another really nice guy...
3:0

round 4 new zoo:: I believe he top 8ed... I won game one with a good draw, killed with 2 maurders on the board and a fireblast in hand.. he said to a friend that he was going to top 8 anyways with his deck after loosing to me ,, but he won the match lol... I sided in grips, I was thinking he would have jittes and I was right he was also running rancors and Sylvan libraries ( I still don't like sorry the libraries) : game two and three, I remember getting bad draws and muls , I died to a goyf with a jitte on it .. and game three I drew 11 lands and 7 spells and used like 4 sac lands.... not goodfor me but he was nice guy
3:1

This is when I found out the bar was open had had my first Heineken..

round 5 goblins.. with mr. no emotion..but still nice. my match up vs goblins I have never lost.. I have bigger and better creatures, I have burn to take down pile drivers and warchiefs... And then goblins goes on the defensive.. I lost game one with a bad hand and draws/ he had optimal draw turns one vial and then the nuts , I think a drew 2 creatures the whole first game and had to throw my burns at his infinite creatures... games two was quick with double goyf on my side .. game 3 went to turns ,, I was at 12 he was at 7 I had a lavamancer in play 2 mountion 1 barbarian ring, in hand 2 fireblast. he kills my mancer at his end of turn , I only had one card in the yard. so I fireblast him adding a red and using the mancer on the stack .. so all I have is a bararion ring in play and off the top draw a lighting blot he was at one.. gg in turn 3 fo 5 ET! I sided in needles and sprees and 2 grips

4:1

Round 6 B/g with hyppies , hyms, goyf, snuff out (yes) etc.... game one he plays 3 non basics and I price for 6 and win... I side in (needle and crypts) game 2 he blows me out.. game 3 end of game he has a tombstalker and plays a jitte lucky for me he only had three lands when he cast the jitte, wasn't able to equip... I have a grim and play with a 2/2 FOD with one land and I draw a needle of top, he was at six and now can't attack , I win nice

5:1

round 7: aggro loam, game one he goes first turn chalice for one , I have 4 one casting cost spells in my hand , I play spells they get countered and then turn 3 I play a goyf as a 4/5 stil loose games one. I side in sprees, crypts, grips and needles, game 2 I spree for 3 turn 3.... killing his mox diamond and chalice for one,, kill soon after with goyf . Game three it doesn't look good for me but he attacks with a Countryside as a 3/3 not knowing the goyfs where 3/4 I had one and he had one .... I then gain control of the game and win ... it was a wierd game , I'm pretty sure he should have won in he made different plays ...

6:1

round seven get paried with dan the guy I came with and draw into top 8

6:1:1

Top 8 after 1 hr of doing nothing except eating cold stone creamery: right next to tulys

round 1 of top 8
I go against a guy from Canada who is playing aggro survival elves he looks just like Mark Herberholz, really nice guy... game one I mul to 5 and keep a bad one land hand.. He win, I side in needle grips and crypts . OK grim lavamancer against this deck in awesome, ( definite MVP all day) game 2 comes down to a final turn with a survival, wellwisher and a quiron ranger, if he didn't try to use the ablility at my end of turn and the game would have been different he was at 4 and I had a fireblast in hand with a lavamancer on the table with I believe one card in the yard. but he tries EOT and i respond and just fireblast him... game 3 I killl everything he put out , mancer on turn 2, and he never gets survival... i win he hates lavamancer!!!!!

Semis
I have to play my friend from Albany : he scoops to me locking in his 3rd place pick for the mox he had the best brakers... I know I would have won the match anyways I have never lost to merflok :}

we then watch the other semi match and yes :

Finals Merflok :::} First off I would like to say relic of progenitus is really good vs me , but i won swinging with men and burning , game 2 I side in needles, red blast / pyros, and grips.. I have 5 lands out with shusher in my hand with a FOD,, guess what I play first, nope FOD ! he forces, the I play shusher and everyone laughs at me. Soon after I win with men (Grim lavamancer) and burn !!!!

I still want to play test against Smelski deck to see what would have happened if he won....

thanks for reading any question or comments feels free .........................

Happy Gilmore
06-01-2009, 01:42 PM
round 4 new zoo:: I believe he top 8ed... I won game one with a good draw, killed with 2 maurders on the board and a fireblast in hand.. he said to a friend that he was going to top 8 anyways with his deck after loosing to me ,, but he won the match lol... I sided in grips, I was thinking he would have jittes and I was right he was also running rancors and Sylvan libraries ( I still don't like sorry the libraries) : game two and three, I remember getting bad draws and muls , I died to a goyf with a jitte on it .. and game three I drew 11 lands and 7 spells and used like 4 sac lands.... not goodfor me but he was nice guy
3:1

You might have gotten that a bit mixed up. I said only after the match that I wouldn't worry since YOU will probably make T8 anyway and I would see you there. I'm all for acting confident and arrogant, but I like doing it myself.

Albplayer
06-01-2009, 09:27 PM
are you sure? I thought you said after game one (which I was up 1-0 at that point) to a friend that I was going to be your only loss, that you would win out and you would still make top 8 ....

ask your friend: :}

If I am wrong thanks for the correction! If your wrong and I am right, I believe having confidence is not being arrogant at all, and is needed to have a better chance of top 8ing any tourney....

peace

Ectoplasm
06-02-2009, 11:27 AM
Fun report and congrats on the finish!

Happy Gilmore
06-02-2009, 01:16 PM
Either way it was a fun match and we both made T8 :P

neon_havoc
06-06-2009, 03:17 AM
Fun read, thanks for the report(:

afireinside3241
06-15-2009, 08:07 PM
What cards did you find yourself siding out a lot?
And what would you cut for hellspark elemental?
In my build i cut keldon marauders and one fod.

Albplayer
06-22-2009, 10:22 PM
I prefer marauders over hellspark I like the guaranteed 2 damage vs guaranteed nothing with the hellspark. both are good in various situations... Its really up to you....gl