PDA

View Full Version : 2nd at SCG 5k with Canadian Thresh

Enigma
06-23-2009, 01:19 PM
Here is my report from the SCG Boston 5k tournament.

A couple of weeks before the tournament, I was hesitating between 3 decks: 1. Ultimate Walkers, 2. Survival Bant and 3. Canadian Thresh. I tested out those three decks against what I was predicting to see there: Merfolks, RGW Goyf Sligh and ANT. My choice stopped with Thresh because I feel really confidant playing this deck, mostly because those MU were in my favor, and seriously, I don’t think I have as much as experience with Ultimate Walker, the deck Yan Lampron designed.

My list:

// Lands
2 Wooded Foothills
2 Polluted Delta
2 Flooded Strand
4 Tropical Island
4 Volcanic Island
4 Wasteland

// Creatures
4 Nimble Mongoose
4 Tarmogoyf

// Spells
4 Force of Will
4 Daze
4 Ponder
4 Brainstorm
4 Fire/Ice
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Stifle
4 Spell Snare
1 Wipe Away
1 Rushing River

// Sideboard
SB: 1 Pyroclasm
SB: 4 Submerge
SB: 4 Disrupt
SB: 1 Krosan Grip
SB: 1 Engineered Explosives
SB: 2 Pyroblast
SB: 2 Red Elemental Blast

Ok, now, the report:

1st round against Josh, playing GBW aggro:

1st game – He’s on the play:

It starts when I Spell snare his Spectral Lynx. I play ponder and pass the turn. I know he tries to play some creatures, but I have counterspells or burn for thems. Goyf finish it quite fast.

SB: +4 Submerge, -4 Daze
2nd game – He’s on the play:

In the first turns, he plays Vial and Jitte. I have a 5/6 goyf in play and manage to do 10 damage before it gets exiled, while my Mongoose keeps putting pressure. He has vial at 2 and a Jitte, I attack with my 1/1 Mongoose. He vial into a Qasali, which I submerge, he’s at 4. He draws Qasali, but do not play it. I attack, activate vial, which I Stifle, he’s now at 1, because of my threshed goose, and burn finish the job.

Now 1-0 (2-0)

2nd round against Daryl, playing Elves:

1st game – He wins the roll, but let me starts:

I really questioning myself why he’s letting me start this, but whatever. He starts with Essence warden, I put my land, go. He tries rofellos, which I Spell snare. I put 3 Gooses and a goyf, he’s stuck on 2 lands and I burn every elves I see.

SB: +4 Submerge, +1 Pyroclasm, +1 Engineered Explosives, -4x Stifle, -2x Daze (He doesn’t have fetches)

2nd game – He still let me start…

I put mongoose in play, he goes for Llanawar elves. I attack with mongoose. At his turn, he plays rofellos. Eot fire/ice on both his elves. I attack with mongoose and add a tarmogoyf to my beat down party. He lands a 1/1 with 3cc that taps for 2 G mana. Ok… I Submerge it twice, rushing river it once, and win.

Now 2-0 (4-0)

3rd round against John playing Dead Eva (GBW Eva Green):

1st game – He wins the die roll and he mulligans to 6.

I counter a couple of things in the first and second turns. He drops a Tombstalker really fast, I take 5 from it. He then plays a Tarmogoyf, which I let resolve. I Rushing river both, letting him with 2 lands in play and 1 in the graveyard. I cast Tarmogoyf at my turn and wasteland his Bayou. His life goes 15-11-7-3, mine 12-8-7-3, so I think we are both attacking with our goyfs. While being at 3 both of us, I land a mongoose and him a Dark confidant. I decide not to attack, but he manages to reveal a land at his turn. He fetches, I fetch in response, stifling his. He looks mad. I play a second mongoose at my turn, and pass the turn. He reveal a land again with his confidant, while being at 2 life. He cast vindicate on my goyf, but can’t attack because both of my Gooses have threshold. At my turn, I draw into another creature, play it, and pass the turn. He reveals another land from his confidant, and I start freaking out, because he now can play his Tombstalker. At my turn, I finally draw Lightning Bolt. He has a white mana open and a full grip, so I really fear the swords. I pass the turn, he doesn’t swords one of his creature at eot, so I predict he doesn’t have the swords. At his upkeep he reveals top, but doesn’t let him draw and bolt him for the win.

SB: +4x Submerge, -4x Daze

2nd game – He’s on the play, he mulligans:

He goes for turn 1 Dark rit into Bob, burn for 1. Fine, I have a bolt for a good 2/1. It’s game, since I have fow + goyf and he only has 4 cards remaining in his hand. I land a goyf at my 2nd turn and counter everything he plays. He scoops after 3 turns.

Now 3-0 (6-0)

4th round against Bryan playing Aggro Loam:

1st game, I win the die roll:

He’s land screwed and I have Goyf and Goose putting a lot of pressure. I finish him with Bolt while I don’t even see what he plays except I know he plays green with creatures.

SB: +4x Submerge, +1 Explosives, - I don’t remember what

2nd game, he’s on the play:

I spell snare his turn 2 Cotv, and now understand what he plays (good things I sided in EE!). I have 2 mongoose quite fast and start beating. His life goes 18-16-10-4. At a moment, he has goyf in play and a fetch open. He pass the turn. At my turn, I have submerge in hand and 2 goose in play. I decide not to attack because if he plays goyf next turn, I have no more answer to it. I pass the turn. He’s not sure he will fetch, but he finally does! I do not hesitate a second and throw his goyf into his library. Note that at this moment, I only had 1 land in play he had his Loam engines with wastelands. If he wouldn’t have fetched, I would have lost this game: waste my tropical, fetchs (so I cannot submerge). He drops a Vore at a moment, which is around 7/7. I remember I submerge it once, his life total going down to 4. At his turn, he plays Vore and dark confidant. I draw Lightning bolt after a ponder (Deja vue?) and pass the turn. He reveals another Terravore with his Bob and I show him my bolt for the win. He then shows me he’s Burning wish, letting me know I would have lost next turn to a killing Devastating dreams.

Now 4-0 (8-0)

5th round against Yan Lampron (my team mate) playing Ultimate Walker:

1st game – I win the die roll:

I play first turn goose and he knows this one will be hard (I’m he’s hardest MU). He has Vision first turn, but when I stifle it 4 turns later, he scoops.

SB: +4x Pyro/REB, +1x Grip, -4x Spell snare, -1x Fire/ice,

2nd game – He’s on the play:

I play early mongoose again and I draw 3 wastelands. His life count goes: (18-17-16-15-14-13-10-3-2-0). His Crucible comes too late, after he had to sac Relic and he doesn’t draw any of his EE.

Now 5-0 (10-0)

6th round against Mike, playing RGW Goyf Sligh:

1st game, he wins the die roll:

I really don’t remember these games, but he crushes me 1st game, and I win the 2 other ones.

SB: +4x Submerge, +4x Disrupt, +1x Pyroclasm, +1x Engineered Explosives, -4x Stifle, -4x Daze, -2x Bounce. (I’m not completely sure)

Now 6-0 (12-1)

7th round against Rich Shay, playing UGR Dreadstill:

ID

Now 6-0-1 (12-1-1)

8th round against Scott, playing UGR Dreadstill:

He’s really happy because I think he wasn’t sure if he would have to play it. But I’m 2nd in ranking with 100% of matches win.

ID

Now 6-0-2 (12-1-2)

TOP8:

Alex Bertoncini (U/G Merfolk) vs Alix Hatfield (RGW zoo)
Yan Lampron (Ultimate Walker) vs Scott Blumenthal (Ugr Dreadstill)
Pierremarc Dugay (Canadian thresh) vs Kyle Dorgan (Tendrils)
Eli Kasis (Thresh variant) vs Rich Shay (Ugr Dreadstill)

At this moment, I know Yan is really sick and my plan is trying to do the top8 cash split for him. I ask Alix first because he looks like a nice guy, and he says yes. Scott doesn’t have any problem with it, and finally everybody agree except Rich, who’s not still sure. When we are all sit at the feature match tables, he finally agrees, but we all decide to play it out, except Yan who takes the opportunity to go puke for the 10th times in last hour, and letting the win to Scott. As Scott said, I think it would have been a really hard MU for him.

1st round against Kyle, playing ANT:

I’m not 100% sure of what he plays, but have a feelings he plays combo, so I keep this hand: 1 Volcanic (as my only land), Force of will, Lightning Bolt, Wipe Away, Goyf, and 2 Fire/Ice. I play my volcanic and pass the turn. He plays Island brainstorm. I draw my 2nd land and goes for Tarmogoyf (wasn’t sure he was playing combo yet). At his turn, he brainstorm, cast Chrome mox, removing Inf tutor, and duress me. He takes FOW and pass the turn. I draw shit, attack, and pass the turn. At his upkeep, I try to Ice his mox, but he responses by a Pact of negation and he goes off.

SB: +4x Disrupt, +4x REB/Pyro, -4x Bolt, -2x Bounce, -2x Fire/ice
2nd game, I’m on the play:

My hand is: 2xPonder 2xForce et Daze and 2 lands.

I play 1st turn ponder into a 3rd FOW. At his turns, he tries to go off without protection and I use one of my FOW for his Ad nauseam. I start attacking with a goyf and then land a second one. He scoops.

3rd game, he’s on the play:

My hand is: FOW, ponder, Disrupt, Goyf, waste and 2 lands.

Kyle goes for Ponder and Petal. I play land go. At his upkeep, he Mystical, which I let resolve. It was a hard decision not to try the Disrupt, but I think I wanted him to go all in (letting him think I do not have that much answer). He draws his Ad nauseam, he brainstorm, and then duress me while he still has his petal open. I try a first Disrupt, and he pays with his petal, but I draw into another disrupt, which I cast immediately, countering his duress and drawing a REB. He pass the turn. I draw, land, go. He tries Dark rit, Dark Rit, Ad nauseam, I FOW, he Pact, I REB. At my turn, I land Goyf and he scoops 3 turns later.

Now 7-0-2 (14-2-2)

2nd round against Rich Shay, playing UGR Dreadstill:

I keep a really slow hand, which I should have mulliganed.

Land, go. Him: Land, go. Me: Land, Go. He Brainstorm EOT. Tries a Standstill at his turn, which get dazed. Me: Land, go. He plays waste and a second standstill, I try to find an answer by Icing his 3rd land, but I draw Brainstorm without any mana open. I put a land into play, and says go. He seems have topdecked his Mishra, and pass the turn. I Brainstorm EOT, as he has 5 cards in hand, and waste my trop + brainstorm in response. He discards Lightning bolt. I don’t remember what I play in my turn. He plays CB at his, I fetch in response, but Rich stifle it. He then lands a top. I continue to draw, land, go. And he lands Goyf. Ok. Next turn, he attacks and plays Trinket, which I Stifle, and my stifle resolves. EOT, I play Rushing river on CB and it resolves. At my turn, I play Ponder and 2x bolt on his goyf. I waste one of his Mishra, but he stifles it. He attacks with his 2 Mishras at his turn. At my turn, I land goose. At his next turn, he attacks with 2x Mishra’s + his Trinket, and I block 1 mishra + Fire the other one. I take 2 from the mage and now I’m at 4. He plays CB again.

At my turn, I play ponder and Rich try to put Top in top, which I respond by a Brainstorm. I find a stifle to let resolve my ponder and it works. I then land a second mongoose. Rich bolt me at the end of turn and fire at his turn.

SB: +4x Submerge, +4x REB/Pyro, +1x Grip, +1x E.E., -4x Bolt, -4x Fire/ice, -1x Daze, -1x Stifle

2nd game, I’m on the play, Rich mull at 6:

Keep this hand: REB, Brainstorm, 2x Goyf, Ponder , land, fetch.

Fetch for Volcanic, Ponder for me. He lands tropical at his turn and pass. I waste his tropical, he stifle, I REB (crucial play here). He goes for Mishra and passes the turn. I play goyf, he plays mishra, I play another goyf. I finally have 3 goyfs against 2 mishra’s and he’s at 10. He draws with his top to put an island in play. At my turn, I attack. He tries to submerge one of my goyf, but I respond by a blast. He looks the top 3 cards and FOW but now as he is tapped out, I daze. He’s now at 1. At his turn, Rich plays Relic and I Grip it EOT ftw.

3rd game, He’s on the play:

1st turn mongoose for me. 1st turn top for him. At this second turn, he wastes my land and play brainstorm. I play another land in my turn and swing. He tries another waste, which I stifle. I play my land, swing and try a goyf, who met a FOW from Rich. At his turn, he plays another waste after another Brainstorm. I play brainstorm at my turn. I finally decide to waste his waste before fetching. He puts waste in stack, but I declare my attack step. Then I fetch and pass the turn. Rich fetch for a 2nd Island and plays E.E. at 1. I FOW, he tops, He fow, I daze. I attack him, and he’s now at 3. He plays relic at his turn but I succeed to attack 2 turn with my non-threshed goose.

Now 8-0-2 (16-3-2)

For the final, go read Scott’s report: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14019

He played really well, he drew like a pro (2 CB each games ;) ) and was a really nice dude. I really appreciated playing the final against him, and I’m really happy we made a top4 from thesource. I think I made my only mistake from the tournament in the 2nd game, but it wouldn’t have changed anything.

Props:
-Montreal crew, putting 4 top8 in the week-end
-Yan Lampron, for both of this Top8 (Faeries in T2, Ultimate Walker in 1.5)
-Canadian Thresh, for being the best metagame choice
-Submerge, for being my best SB card
-Disrupt, for being game breaking against ANT
-SCG and their judges, for being soooo nice
-All my opponents were good manner and nice to play against
-Scott for winning this tournament!!!
-Rodney and Sam for their coverage
(Youtube Coverage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZuM-loQ2ss&feature=channel )

Slops:
-Coming back at 6:00 AM to montreal.
-Yan L., having to drop in the top8 (It would probably have been a top 2, facing each other)
-This report, for being too long
-My English

Thanks guys, and see you later!

P-M

beastman
06-23-2009, 01:39 PM
I'm glad to see that the source did so well at this tournament. Great job, and nice report.

Waikiki
06-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Nice report, congrats on your finish. Interesting boarding plans.

Atog
06-23-2009, 02:13 PM
Congratulations for finish! Couple questions:

You boarded submerges against elf, are they really necessary against them?

Against dead eva you boarded dazes vs. submerges, did you see other stifle targets than fetchs / wastelands or did you fear he had deed?

And last, against that ultimate walker.deck, weren't there enought 2-drops to side dazes out instead of snares?

Nice finish still, so those sideboarding plans do their trick for you :)

Enigma
06-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Congratulations for finish! Couple questions:

You boarded submerges against elf, are they really necessary against them?

Against dead eva you boarded dazes vs. submerges, did you see other stifle targets than fetchs / wastelands or did you fear he had deed?

And last, against that ultimate walker.deck, weren't there enought 2-drops to side dazes out instead of snares?

Nice finish still, so those sideboarding plans do their trick for you :)

1. The Elf deck was not really good.
2. Dead Eva doesn't have a really good mana base. But you just remind be something: I sided in Krosan Grip and EE in this MU because I was fearing Choke. I probably sided-out -2 stifle for them.
3. Ultimate walker has been created to be resilient to 2 things: Spell snare and CB. His only 2 CC are Fire/Ice and Daze, and against me, I know he would side out his Fire/ice for Relics.

P-M

Atog
06-23-2009, 02:28 PM
1. The Elf deck was not really good.
2. Dead Eva doesn't have a really good mana base. But you just remind be something: I sided in Krosan Grip and EE in this MU because I was fearing Choke. I probably sided-out -2 stifle for them.
3. Ultimate walker has been created to be resilient to 2 things: Spell snare and CB. His only 2 CC are Fire/Ice and Daze, and against me, I know he would side out his Fire/ice for Relics.

P-M

Ok, thanks for clearing. Did those disrupts do their work against RDW? Or is there just that idea that they have to pay 1R instead of R when playing lightning bolt? :P You didnt't consider to side disrupts also against that Dead Eva? Just throught something like -2x stifles more and -1x fire/ice and -1x L.bolt. Does that make any sense?

Enigma
06-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Ok, thanks for clearing. Did those disrupts do their work against RDW? Or is there just that idea that they have to pay 1R instead of R when playing lightning bolt? :P You didnt't consider to side disrupts also against that Dead Eva? Just throught something like -2x stifles more and -1x fire/ice and -1x L.bolt. Does that make any sense?

The Zoo decks was playing wasteland himself, so it was a really easy choice for the disrupts. Never forget that Disrupts draws you a card!

Against Dead Eva, Disrupt is also a good card, but I would definitely not side out burns, mostly because Dark confidant is a pain in the ass.

PS: I already saw people siding-out Ponder in this deck, and I really think it's a bad decision. I never side out cantrips, never.

P-M

goobafish
06-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Congrats on the finish!

J.V.
06-23-2009, 06:21 PM
Great Job, congrats on the finish.

Rood
06-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Nice meeting you Enigma, really nice guy and great player. Hopefully we shall meet in the near future of a T8.

VsTheWorld
06-23-2009, 08:03 PM
Congrats on the finish! I won't lie, I drew ridiculously well both games against you. CB + retarded amounts of counters while still hitting land drops certainly gets there.

sauce
07-17-2009, 05:09 PM
congrats, you played well.
submerge is the mortal nuts.