PDA

View Full Version : [EDH] Experiment Kraj

Brushwagg
07-13-2009, 07:33 PM
Experiment Kraj
Legendary Creature - Ooze Mutant 4/6, 2UUGG (6)
Experiment Kraj has all activated abilities of each other creature with a +1/+1 counter on it.
{T}: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.

// Lands
1 Llanowar Reborn
11 Island
10 Forest
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Flooded Strand
1 Polluted Delta
1 Oran-Rief, the Vastwood
1 Vivid Grove
1 Vivid Creek
1 Tropical Island
1 Breeding Pool
1 Simic Growth Chamber
1 Novijen, Heart of Progress
1 Tolaria West
1 Yavimaya Coast
1 Urza's Mine
1 Urza's Power Plant
1 Urza's Tower

// Creatures
1 Experiment Kraj
1 Plaxcaster Frogling
1 Cytoplast Manipulator
1 Spike Weaver
1 Spike Feeder
1 Murkfiend Liege
1 Triskelion
1 Body Double
1 Indrik Stomphowler
1 Novijen Sages
1 Wood Elves
1 Vesuvan Shapeshifter
1 Mycoloth
1 Wickerbough Elder
1 Inkwell Leviathan
1 Elvish Aberration
1 Glen Elendra Archmage
1 Ixidron
1 Eternal Witness
1 Aquastrand Spider
1 Skill Borrower
1 Woodfall Primus
1 Quirion Ranger
1 Devoted Druid
1 Scryb Ranger
1 Overbeing of Myth
1 Sages of the Anima
1 Fungal Behemoth
1 Imperious Perfect
1 Cytoplast Root-Kin
1 Brine Elemental
1 Sage of Fables
1 Mulldrifter
1 Phantom Centaur
1 Trygon Predator
1 Quirion Dryad

// Spells
1 Fact or Fiction
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Power Conduit
1 Incremental Growth
1 Decree of Savagery
1 Concentrate
1 Regrowth
1 Tooth and Nail
1 Scapeshift
1 Sylvan Library
1 Sword of Light and Shadow
1 Opportunity
1 Harmonize
1 Rite of Replication
1 Temporal Spring
1 Ovinize
1 Counterspell
1 Put Away
1 Krosan Grip
1 Negate
1 Snakeform
1 Simic Signet
1 Rushing River
1 Dissipate
1 Hinder
1 Cryptic Command
1 Wipe Away

rufus
07-13-2009, 08:50 PM
Have you considered any of these:

Phyrexian Devourer
Skill Borrower
Quicksilver Elemental
Jodah's Avenger

Anthroplasm
Descendant of Masomaru
Fungal Behemoth
Golgari Grave Troll
Wiitigo

Sims
07-13-2009, 10:31 PM
Something I would point out, cause it's hilarious and in the spirit of EDH:

Experiment Kraj + Mycosynth Lattice + March of the Machines + any way of getting +1/+1 counters (the kraj itself, dragons blood, anything) + Planeswalkers = Instant Win.

The Planeswalkers become Aritfacts (lattice) and then Aritfact Creatures (march), and as long as they have a +1/+1 counter on them, Kraj can copy their abilities. However, not being a planeswalker, he is able to activate those abilities for loyalty counters as many times as you'd like. This allows you to draw up and mill your opponent out (jace), tutor up every artifact in your deck and make everything a 5/5 for the win with Tezzie, or use Garruk to pump out an ungodly amount of 3/3s and blow a million overruns FTW.

Okay, I know, probably not worthy of space in the deck. But the possibilites that are available are hilarious and awesome and fit the spirit of the format, and depending on what you're looking at doing, not too difficult ot squeeze in.

TheAardvark
07-14-2009, 11:50 AM
This deck needs Forgotten Ancient something fierce. That card is freaking insane in a Kraj deck, esp. with Triskelion. It was my MVP in my Kraj build.

Needs more Tooth & Nail.

And 32 lands really doesn't seem like enough. I'd rather have lands than things like Llanowar/Quirion Elves in a deck like this, personally.

Brushwagg
07-14-2009, 09:41 PM
@Sims: That would be great. I think the space for the combo and to find the combo would be the whole deck though.

@Tooth and Nail: I just need to meet up with Bryant to get it.

@Lands: I might try cuttin the Bop, Llanowar, Quirion and wall. The Devoted Druid stays since it can lead to Kraj abuse.

Koby
07-17-2009, 05:53 PM
@Sims: That would work... if Mycosynth Lattice made non-permanents into artifacts. It doesn't however, just makes them colorless.

sorrel
07-17-2009, 05:59 PM
@Sims: That would work... if Mycosynth Lattice made non-permanents into artifacts. It doesn't however, just makes them colorless.
You need to reread Mycosynth Lattice. Its first line:

All permanents are artifacts in addition to their other types.

Tosh
07-17-2009, 06:01 PM
Also, planeswalkers are permanents, so his large and complicated combo does work.

frogboy
07-17-2009, 06:39 PM
Something I would point out, cause it's hilarious and in the spirit of EDH:

Experiment Kraj + Mycosynth Lattice + March of the Machines + any way of getting +1/+1 counters (the kraj itself, dragons blood, anything) + Planeswalkers = Instant Win.

The Planeswalkers become Aritfacts (lattice) and then Aritfact Creatures (march), and as long as they have a +1/+1 counter on them, Kraj can copy their abilities. However, not being a planeswalker, he is able to activate those abilities for loyalty counters as many times as you'd like. This allows you to draw up and mill your opponent out (jace), tutor up every artifact in your deck and make everything a 5/5 for the win with Tezzie, or use Garruk to pump out an ungodly amount of 3/3s and blow a million overruns FTW.

Okay, I know, probably not worthy of space in the deck. But the possibilites that are available are hilarious and awesome and fit the spirit of the format, and depending on what you're looking at doing, not too difficult ot squeeze in.

frogboy likes this.

Koby
07-17-2009, 06:44 PM
You need to reread Mycosynth Lattice. Its first line:

All permanents are artifacts in addition to their other types.

Reading FTW.

I specifically mentioned non-permanents. Thus Tezzeret is largely useless with Mycosynth Lattice unless to untap all your new artifacts. The cards in your deck are not artifacts, they're just colorless.

frogboy
07-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Reading FTW.

Indeed.

tutor up every artifact in your deck

Koby
07-17-2009, 07:24 PM
Yes, this ability is still powerful. In fact, any of the planeswalkers make it pretty ridiculous. Especially Nicol Bolas.

Brushwagg
07-17-2009, 07:49 PM
Posted an updated list and no it doesn't have the "combo" in it.

I am looking at Glen Elendra Archmage (http://magiccards.info/eve/en/22.html). But that might take the F-U-N out of fun for other people.

Malchar
08-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Are you sure that the mycosynth lattice combo works? I agree to the point that Kraj gains the plainswalker abilities, but can he use them if he doesn't have any loyalty counters?

Rules that are likely relevant:

306.5. Loyalty is a characteristic only planeswalkers have.

[snip]

306.7a The cost to activate an ability of a planeswalker is to put on or remove from that planeswalker a certain number of loyalty counters, as shown by the loyalty symbol in the ability’s cost.

306.7b An ability with a negative loyalty cost can’t be activated unless the planeswalker has at least that many loyalty counters on it.

Also, with Glen Elendra Archmage you would have to sacrifice Kraj whenever you activated it. Even though the ability says "Sacrifice Glen Elendra Archmage" if a card refers to itself using its own name, the game counts that as a relative reference if it is copied. The way around this would be if it said, "Sacrifice a card named Glen Elendra Archmage."

Brushwagg
08-04-2009, 11:55 AM
Also, with Glen Elendra Archmage you would have to sacrifice Kraj whenever you activated it. Even though the ability says "Sacrifice Glen Elendra Archmage" if a card refers to itself using its own name, the game counts that as a relative reference if it is copied. The way around this would be if it said, "Sacrifice a card named Glen Elendra Archmage."

To answer:

To activate the abilities you must use the correct colors of mana and all other applicable costs. [Dissension FAQ 2006/04/13]
If an ability has text that refers to the name of the card it is on, then this card gains a version of that ability that refers to this card instead of the card it came from. These rulings use the keyword '~this~' to mark all places where an ability means "this card" and does not mean to refer to something by name. [D'Angelo 2008/03/16]
If an activated ability is added to a creature through an effect, that ability will still be copied. For example, Fire Whip gives the creature it enchants an activated ability, and so Experiment Kraj will get that same ability. [D'Angelo 2009/02/07]
As a weird case, Shuriken grants an ability that refers back to itself. So if another creature has Shuriken on it, Experiment Kraj will end up with an ability that can be used to unattach Shuriken from whatever it currently equips. [D'Angelo 2009/02/07]
Note - Also see Legendary, Rule G12.9.

But I would never sac Kraj to that ability. Mage is there to just be annoying to other players.

Sac Mage she Presists back into play, then you either Graft a +1/+1 counter on to it or have Kraj give her a counter. The -1/-1 and +1/+1 counters cancel each other out so you can keep countering with her.

Malchar
08-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Ah, I see how you're using the mage. I hadn't really thought it through that much. I just assumed that you meant to have Kraj gain the ability and use it through him.

Edit: I suppose that I'm right that the planeswalker thing doesn't work.

merfolkotpt
10-03-2009, 02:15 PM
I think that the Kraj thing works because he can do the +X Loyalty abilities too, gain infinitely many, and then use the negative ones. Like If garruk is in play he can just untap the same lands over and over again. Make infinite mana, and have a bunch of loyalty counters. He gains the whole ability which reads something like, "add a loyalty counter: do something" so I think it does work. I don't think the rules say that non-planeswalkers can't get loyalty counters.

EDIT: Correction, it used to work this way until the Zendikar rules changes came out. They changed the planeswalker abilities to become "linked abilities" the point being that now those abilities have as part of them, only use once each turn, not the planeswalkers themeselves. See Section 606 in the comprehensive rules.

Mnemon
10-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Wouldn't Morphling and Thornling be good with Kraj? They would give him a bunch of useful abilitys. Shroud, indestructibility, U: Put a +1/+1 counter on a creature...

Anusien
11-05-2009, 06:21 PM
Deck seems like really wants Wickerbough Elder. Can Machine Gun artifacts and Enchantments.

I second Skill Borrower.

Brushwagg
11-05-2009, 09:03 PM
Deck seems like really wants Wickerbough Elder. Can Machine Gun artifacts and Enchantments.

I put it in. The list has changed some and when I get around to it I'll update it.

Wrecked
11-06-2009, 02:15 AM
Maybe Bounty of the Hunt is worth a look? Could be used to reload persist crits, or give Kraj abilities in a pinch when you'd rather tap him to abuse abilities. Also funny with Trike.

JeroenC
11-06-2009, 03:06 AM

Elder needs -1/-1 counters, Kraj needs creatures with +1/+1 counters...

Wrecked
11-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Seems like Oran-Rief is a must here.

Brushwagg
11-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Elder needs -1/-1 counters, Kraj needs creatures with +1/+1 counters...

Enter Devoted Druid. With a +1/+1 counter both Kraj kills all enchantments and artifacts on the board himself.

Oran Reif will be in the deck.

yankeedave
11-11-2009, 05:59 AM
How about Fangren Firstborn? a +1/+1 counter for each attacking creature, each time seems strong here.

Dave

MattH
11-12-2009, 02:43 PM
Enter Devoted Druid. With a +1/+1 counter both Kraj kills all enchantments and artifacts on the board himself.

Oran Reif will be in the deck.

-1/-1 counters and +1/+1 counter cancel each other out. You can't have a creature with both -1/-1 counters and +1/+1 counters on it...

704.5r If a permanent has both a +1/+1 counter and a -1/-1 counter on it, N +1/+1 and N -1/-1 counters are removed from it, where N is the smaller of the number of +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters on it.

Brushwagg
11-12-2009, 08:24 PM
I am aware they cancel each other out. (With a +1/+1 counter on Devoted Druid and Wickerbough Elder)

1. Tap Kraj for a Geen.
2. Untap Kraj giving him a -1/-1 counter.
3. Use the Green mana to remove the -1/-1 counter and kill an artifact.
4. Repeat until there are no more artifacts or enchanment you want dead.

Of course your going to use the -1/-1 off Elder first.

MattH
11-13-2009, 01:30 PM
You know, I spent literal minutes trying to figure that out, and I couldn't, so I posted the above...I was assuming Kraj had +1/+1 counters on himself. Now I feel very silly. :laugh: :mad:

Brushwagg
11-15-2009, 07:04 PM
You know, I spent literal minutes trying to figure that out, and I couldn't, so I posted the above...I was assuming Kraj had +1/+1 counters on himself. Now I feel very silly.

Don't worry about it.

I would love something like Morselhoarder. Too bad it has Red in it.

Found a good combo in the deck a couple of days ago. Sages of the Anima and Sylvan Library.

MattH
11-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Sylvan also works with Parallel Thoughts and Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar.

Mnemon
12-22-2009, 01:12 PM
I wanted to put a Kraj deck together on MWS so I searched Gatherer for creatures with activated abilities. Here are some interesting things:

Solarion - 2/2 for 7 maybe isn't that impressive but I think this deck can generate some counters to double.
(while we're at doubling, no Doubling Season ?)

Pili-Pala - comboes with Kraj and/or creatures that produce more then one mana

Gilder Bairn - another doubler and untap ability

Quicksilver Elemental - Don't know how useful it is but it could be iteresting to let it have all of Krajs abilitys or let the deck use abilitys of other colors

Jodah's Avenger - "Say hello to my unblockable, doublestriking general." (oh, just noticing that it was alredy mentioned)

Spearbreaker Behemoth, Leech Bonder, Spincrusher, Chameleon Colossus, some of the Spikes from Tempest block and maybe other creatures like Vigor and Forgotten Ancient...

...oh and I still think Morphling and Thornling are Kraj's best friends.

Mystical_Jackass
12-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Needs more accel. Less cards that are bad on own

I suggest like a good 8-10 spells just to mana ramp though... I mean, your deck seems very combo/General orientated, if that's your game plan I'd try get there as fast as you can 'cause that's turn 6+ till Kraj

Skyshroud Claim
Journey to Discovery
Yavimaya Elder
Wood Elves
Solemn
Sol Ring
Gilded Lotus

Garruk
Seedborn Muse
Predator Flagship
Memnarch

Mnemon
12-22-2009, 06:29 PM
Fertilid woud be synergetic with the deck. He is accel and could profit from additional counters later.

Brushwagg
12-22-2009, 09:42 PM
I haven't updated the list in the opening post in a while. I'm sure there are alot of different cards in there.

When I first put the deck together I had a almost every graft creature in there. But it didn't work that great. So of the cards that just got mentioned I have already tried.

The real problem is the lack of removal. It's bouce or nothing.

Brushwagg
12-24-2009, 10:07 PM
Updated list in opening post.

Mystical_Jackass
12-26-2009, 01:54 AM
Still, I say.. Green and no accelleration?

Also, Sylvan is good but when I see stuff like Harmonize, Opportunity, etc. To me it seems like you're running too many "Legacy" spells, instead of running group powerhouse spells like Solemn, Minds Eye, Mystic Remora, skullclamp, Rhystic Study, and such. Don't go average, go broken ;P MOAR DUPLICANT too (also, never been a fan of the Urza lands :\)