PDA

View Full Version : 9th @ Hadley 7/18/09

Joe_C
07-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Well, I took 9th yesterday at Hadley <sorry scrumdogg for not realizing you got paired down and hosing you>

The List:
4 City of Brass
4 Gemstone Mine
3 Cephalid Coliseum
2 Undiscovered Paradise

4 Putrid Imp
4 Tireless Tribe
4 Golgari Grave troll
4 Stinkweed Imp
4 Golgari Thug
4 Ichorid
4 Bridge from Below
2 Breakthrough
4 Cabal therapy
4 Careful Study
4 Narcomoeba
3 Dread Return
1 Cephalid Sage
1 Flame Kin Zealot

SB:
2 Ancient Grudge
3 Null Rod
1 Ancestor's Chosen
3 Wispmare
3 Firestorm
1 Bogardan Hellkite
2 Ray of Revelation

Here is a breakdown with some specifices and some afterthoughts:

Round 1: Nicholas Playing UGR Trash
G1:I win the die roll/kept opening 7 with tribe x2 and a coliseum, and a stinkweed
I lead with turn 1 tribe which sticks.He plays land, go. I dredge stinky on my draw step, play coliseum and activate it for another 14 card dredge and hit nothing(no moeba, no ichorid, no bridge), He plays nimble mongoose, pass. I dredge and hit a moeba and an ichorid to bring back next turn, he bolts moeba before my main phase(still no bridge). After this my notes get fuzzy, I start recurring Ichorid and finally hit bridge and take it down in a few turns.

G2: He plays land go. My hand is Imp, tribe x2, and 2 dredgers, a land, and a therapy=score. I walk my turn 1 Imp into daze as expected. He plays goose, go. I play another land, tribe-resolves, pitch a troll and play careful study-resolves- I hit 2 moebas off the dredge(hotness), I also got bridge and therapy into the yard and see myself winning shorlty unless he gains an army of men, so I sac a moeba to flashback therapy and get a zombie, naming goyf, which he has in hand. He draws another goyf off a EOT brainstorm, he plays it. I reanimate an Ichorid and I have 2 bridges in my grave at that point,I therapy him(intending on naming force) but it gets dazed. I swing in with my creatures and then dread return an 8/8 Troll which will win me the game the next 2 turns.

1-0-0

Round 2 Roddy with UW Slivers(note:flying creatures are a bitch)
I lost the die roll(mull to 6)
He plays land, aether vial:go. I play turn 1 Imp. He STP's my Imp during his turn(damn youz), I pitch a thug, ichorid, and a troll in resp. I reanimate ichorid, dredge for 6, play tribe:pass. EOT he brings in crystalline sliver, then winged sliver via vial on his turn, and plays standstill, swings for 2 in the air, pass. I start dredging and swinging on the ground, but those damn flying creatures are going to kill me faster than I can kill him since I run out of Ichorid fodder quickly, so I pop standstill by flashbacking therapy naming force, which gets forced, but I get a few tokens.So I try to go for the throat and try to push through a dread return that is hopefully bring back zealot to swing in for 9 total and leave him at 2 life to die to ichorid beats next turn, he drew another force off standstill. so it fails and I die to flying creatures since I am out of gas.

G2:(mull to 6). I keep a hand that is questionable, but dont want to mull to 5. I therapy myself naming troll. He goes turn 1 relic<ouch>. I dont draw any of my hate hosers and lose to flying slivers quickly.

1-1-0

Round 3: Jesse playing UG Merfolk
G1: Won die roll, kept opening 7.
I keep a good hand with some lands and tribes and dredgers. He lands a goyf, then another before I can get really going, but tribe holds 1 off.. But I get my land drops and actually hardcast Ichorid from my hand and start gaining zombie tokens and overwhelm him quickly after that.

G2: He gets turn 1 vial. I play careful study on my first turn and get things moving. He starts vialing in merfolk. I get beat for a few turns then play firestorm with x=4 tagetting his lord of atlantis, 2 adepts, and my moeba which puts me way ahead with 3 zombies on board and his side empty. He wastes my one land, then plays propaganda, and then drops another wasteland, then vials in a lord, I will die before I hit my 2nd land so I scoop.

G3: He hits the nuts, with force,wasteland, relic, me not getting to 2 lands to cast the null rod in my hand and I get pounded by blue men.

1-2-0

Round 4 Pete playing Tombstone(?)
lost roll, kept opening 7.
He plays land go. I play turn tribe. He plays land. Snuff Outs my tribe which I toss an ichorid, a thug, and a troll to in response. My turn I dredge some hotness and he will be dead in a turn or 2 so he scoops.

G2: He plays Leyline of the void, I have wispmare in my hand and ray or revelation. My turn I evoke mare and pass. He plays sinkhole on my land. I play another land, play putrid imp, pass. He plays pernicious dead. My upkeep I pitch ray and flashback it to nail deed. He lands a goyf and 2 hippies over the next few turns. I get an 11/11 troll in play and a ton of zombies and squeak it out with me at 1 life since he topdecks a land instead of a hate card.

2-2-0

Round 5: Alan (srumdogg) playing Imperial Painter
G1:I lose the roll. Kept opening 7
He plays turn 1 magus of the moon, ok, yeah that hurts. Then drops combo pcs on turn 3 which will rock my turn 4 so I scoop.

G2: Notes are fuzzy, but I know I land rod to keep his artifact foolishness at bay and his life does from 20 to 11 then to 1(I did something right apparently)

G3: He lands turn 1 3sphere but I have 2 lands and I draw a third so I play Imp on turn 4. He lands blood moon(after playing a 2nd city of traitors without tapping the first and sets himself back a turn on mana). I start dredging and playing ichorids from the grave. He lands blood moon, I firestorm his creatures( i make my play error for the game by failing to remember painter has toughness 3 and firestormed for x=2) so he lives but I outnumber him and end up winning.

So I finish in 9th place

As always it was a fun tournament, and I wish Kevin the best of luck in the future.

For future reference: Ancestor's chosen will probably be the only other return target I will keep in my board. I may want to increase my maindeck land count and run the 4th rod in my board. Other than that, I felt good about how the deck played.

edit: I did not win ONCE by reanimating zealot for the kill. Makes me think a slow rolling build like sunshine is working on may be quite effective. I won via Ichorid/zombie/troll beats all day. Also, I did not cast breakthrough at all the whole day, I had it in my opening hand once, but had to toss it back.

beastman
07-20-2009, 01:33 PM
Nice report.
I think the LED is the better version of Ichorid, any reason you didnt play that version?

FredMaster
07-20-2009, 02:32 PM
The reason must have been, that LEDless Ichorid can handle Hatecards easier than normal Dredge does.
It is also more consistent (doesn't loose to itself much) with a minimal loss of speed.
Plus Tireless Tribe pwns ya - at least it should survive a Pyroclasm.

beastman
07-20-2009, 02:46 PM
I actually think regular Ichorid can handle hate about the same. It's just a lot harder to play.

Joe_C
07-21-2009, 06:27 AM
I actually think regular Ichorid can handle hate about the same. It's just a lot harder to play.

Ive played both versions and if you read through the thread here you will see I never mulled below 6 cards in 5 rounds. I would love to see LED ichorid do that unless you are lucl sacking your ass off. Tireless tribe in a field where goyf and merfolk are rampant is a solid choice. And the deck doesnt need breakthrough to win, I may drop it all together with some more testing of other options.

Parcher
07-21-2009, 10:39 AM
Regardless of any other points of contention, who cares what you mulligan to if you win?

Joe_C
07-21-2009, 12:20 PM
Regardless of any other points of contention, who cares what you mulligan to if you win?

True Parcher, but going into games 2/3 having more permanent discard outlets and more opportunities to cast our sideboard cards makes this list my preferred. I am in no way saying that it is truly better than LED based Ichorid. I have played both and I feel more comfortable with this build

scrumdogg
07-21-2009, 03:16 PM
It was nice putting another face to another name, and no worries as I didn't tell you I was 3-1 cuz I didn't look long enough to see your point total. I assumed we were both 3-1, win & get in. Even had I noticed the point totals, you didn't know me, why scoop me in (although it would have been appreciated and rewarded, notice to all future opponents in last round of Swiss :cool: )? Quite frankly I didn't deserve to win the match as I made a play mistake game 2 by making a meaningless attack when I should have held the Recruiter as a blocker, which would have neutralized Bridges (or the attack step, just as good) and given me time to stabilize & find an answer. Then I made the series of misplays in Game 3... I was impressed by the ability of your deck to give you a billion lands every game...I can't get decks running 20+ to do that, PM me your secret? Running into 2 of the 3 Dredge decks (all different versions, interestingly enough...) with zero true sideboard hate was frustrating. I need to remember that Dredge is everywhere & keeps coming back from the dead & always pack something. The Null Rod (unexpected...) and Grudge were very good against me and you definitely outplayed me.

Joe_C
07-21-2009, 05:18 PM
It was nice putting another face to another name, and no worries as I didn't tell you I was 3-1 cuz I didn't look long enough to see your point total. I assumed we were both 3-1, win & get in. Even had I noticed the point totals, you didn't know me, why scoop me in (although it would have been appreciated and rewarded, notice to all future opponents in last round of Swiss :cool: )? Quite frankly I didn't deserve to win the match as I made a play mistake game 2 by making a meaningless attack when I should have held the Recruiter as a blocker, which would have neutralized Bridges (or the attack step, just as good) and given me time to stabilize & find an answer. Then I made the series of misplays in Game 3... I was impressed by the ability of your deck to give you a billion lands every game...I can't get decks running 20+ to do that, PM me your secret? Running into 2 of the 3 Dredge decks (all different versions, interestingly enough...) with zero true sideboard hate was frustrating. I need to remember that Dredge is everywhere & keeps coming back from the dead & always pack something. The Null Rod (unexpected...) and Grudge were very good against me and you definitely outplayed me.

Game 3 when you landed 3sphere turn 1 I had 2 land in my hand and I drew the 3rd on my first draw step. Had you played moon a turn earlier I would have never had Imp into play, and you probably would have killed me at that point although I was dogging the firestorm for quite awhile... :wink: So I take it you saying you could board in tormod's crypt and relic was a bluff then :laugh: . Thats why I play rod, as a HUGE bonus is stopped your combo schenanigans as well

scrumdogg
07-21-2009, 06:22 PM
Straight up bluff :cool: I was hoping to induce a little uneasiness, but your hate for my deck straight up trumped my bluff...dammit... If I had the Moon Turn 1 I would have played it first, but it was my first draw. And yes, I was trying to play around Firestorm as much as possible, but it is hard to do (and even harder after you start using my Trinisphere more effectively than I can >.<). Gratz again on the win & we'll meet again