PDA

View Full Version : 2nd at Legacy Tournament Berkeley CA July 25th with Tempo Thresh

hyc8028
07-27-2009, 04:26 AM
Warning: Wall of text.

I have been a long time lurker on the different MTG forums and recently just joined the Source. First of all, I want to thank everyone who contributes on the Source. All your information and opinion is very helpful. This is my first tourney report on here, so please take it easy on me. My purpose of writing this report is to help promote legacy is THE format to play in magic, especially in an area such as Bay Area where standard is the dominated format and people can drop ton of cash on cards played in FNM and PTQ.

As soon as I knew there will be legacy tournament near San Francisco, I was excited because I can finally put my legacy deck in action. I had several ideas in my mind, but I figure that there would be some tribal showing up and maybe dredge. I had some choices. UGR Dreadstill, Mono Blue Merfolk, Tarmfolk, Tempo Thresh, CounterTop. I love Merfolk, but from my experiences, it owns any deck running island and folds to any deck running mountain. I need something more dependable, especially the legacy metagame in our area is non-existence and I expected someone might bring a Standard/Extended/Jank deck to a legacy tournament. Therefore, I decided I am going to play Tempo Thresh.

My list:

// Lands
3 Polluted Delta
3 Flooded Strand
4 Tropical Island
4 Volcanic Island
4 Wasteland

// Creatures
4 Nimble Mongoose
4 Tarmogoyf
1 Vendilion Clique

// Spells
4 Force of Will
4 Daze
4 Ponder
4 Brainstorm
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Stifle
4 Spell Snare
3 Fire/Ice
1 Wipe Away
1 Rushing River

// Sideboard
SB: 4 Submerge
SB: 2 Pyroblast
SB: 2 Red Elemental Blast
SB: 2 Pithing Needle
SB: 2 Krosan Grip
SB: 1 Pyroclasm
SB: 1 Firesprout
SB: 1 Engineered Explosives

My deck is pretty standard and my SB is really diverse. I had a debate about Clique vs Isochron Scepter and needle vs relic/crypt. Scepter imprints bolt/blast/ Fire/Ice is devastating. At the end, 3 cmc 3/1 Flash evasion thoughtseize beater is too much to pass up.

There were 16 spots, but only 7 people show up and we had tables set up on the sidewalk. The weather was very nice. We get to play everyone (6 rounds) to decide who will win 1st.

Round 1, Mono Red Goblin, Alex

G1: He plays. First turn lackey. I dropped a goose to block, then I casted a goyf. He tried to matron to get more blocker, but I stifle his trigger. Goyf for the win.

In: 1x Engineered Explosives, 1x Firespout, 1x Pyroclasm, 2 Pithing Needle
Out: 1x Rushing River, 1x Wipe Away, 1x Ponder, 2 Spell Snare

G2: He started with vial turn 1. I forced. I spell snared a turn 2 piledriver. I landed 2 Goyf next 2 turns. He then drop a ringleader, which I stifle the trigger. For the next turn, he plays matron and lackey to chump block goyf. However, I top deck Fire/Ice and get lackey and matron off the board and goes distance.

I shouldn’t SB out Spell snare against goblin. However, I did use both of them in game 2.

Note: He is in my legacy group and I played merfolk against him 5 times last meeting and only won 1 game. Another reason why I decided to play tempo thresh.

2-0, 1-0

Round 2, Burn, Kevin

G1: He threw burn at my face. I land a big goyf on turn 2. He tried to seal of fire and fireblast my goyf, but walk right into a daze. Goyf and burn him to seal the deal.

No SB

G2: Same as game 1. He threw burn, then I land a thresh goose. My goose and burn goes distance.

4-0, 2-0

Round 3, Mono Blue, Bryant

G1: I had no clue what he was playing. I had nothing but stifles. He countered my goyf and landed a Sturdy Hatchling with Favor of the Overbeing. His Hatchling went all the way. I was shocked. Haha.

In: 2x Pyroblast, 2x Red Elemental Blast, 1x Firesprout, 1x Pyroclasm
Out: 4x Stifle, 2x Spell Snare

G2: I had a goose beating his life down. He then played Slippery Bogle with Favor of the Overbeing. On my turn, I played firesprout taking down my own goose and his guy while getting threshold at the same time. Thresh goose then took his remaining life away.

G3: I just have god hand this game. With a clique, 2x goyf and he had nothing. I was able to take him down very fast despite of he played snakeform twice on my goyf.

6-1, 3-0

Round 4, Burn, Erin

G1: He rift bolt me twice and threw burn at my face. I was at 2 while he is at 12. He played a chain lighting, which I had to force it, down to 1. My 2x thresh goose get him down to 6. Any burn he drew would have beaten me. Instead, he topdeck a mountain. I win.

SB: None
Note: I knew he had 4 fallout in his SB and I know he is going to bring it in against goose.

G2: Another close game. I was basically racing him with 2x goose. He got me down to 2 again while he was at 16. I bolt him twice and get my threshold. I get him down to 9. He tried to unearth his hellspark elemental. I stifle and he does it again. I had fire and bolt in hand. EOT bolt and 2x goose finish him.

8-1, 4-0

Round 5, Mono Red Goblin/Storm, Mark

G1: My opening hand was pretty good with force, 2x BS. However, I had only one Island in the whole game with 3x wasteland. I processed to draw 2 more BS, but I just can’t find another Island. Meanwhile, he beats me with goblin token from dragon fodder. He then finishes me with seeing song, rite of flame twice and empty the warren.

In: 1x Engineered Explosives, 1x Firespout, 1x Pyroclasm
Out: 1x Rushing River, 1x Wipe Away, 1x Spell Snare

G2: Game 2 is a very close one. I had 2 goose on turn 2. I took him down to 5 with them. He then played Caldera Hellion, took down all my goose. At that time I was at 18. Next turn, he played voracious dragon. One attack with the dragon and banefire took me down to 9. Just when I thought I still have a chance, he topdeck his foil banefire and seal the deal.

8-3, 4-1

Round 6, RWU Fish, Peter

G1: I had 2 stifles opening hand while he had 2 wastelands. He kept trying to waste my volcanic island, but he kept running into my stifle. He then drew the 3rd wasteland and destroys my red source. However, I drew my own wasteland and wasted his only land in play. My goyf then went all the way in 5 turns.

In: 2x Pyroblast, 2x Red Elemental Blast, 1x Firesprout, 1x Pyroclasm
Out: 4x Spell Snare, 1x Rushing River, 1x Wipe Away

G2: Good hand. My hand was stifle, wasteland, delta, goyf, force, volc, daze. I landed a turn 2 goyf while he was manascrew. I stifle his fetch and waste his tundra to cut off his white source. He was able to plow the goyf 2 turns later, but goose and bolt end the game.

10-3, 5-1

Unfortunately for me, Alex had a slightly better tie breaker despite I won against him head to head. Banefire really owned me in this tournament.

Here is the top 3:
1st: Mono Red Goblin
2nd: Tempo Thresh
3rd: Burn (Erin)

I was able to walk away with 5 boasters and some uncommon/rare. Not a bad day, but I could have won the whole thing if I didn’t lose both of my matches in round 5.

As far as my deck goes, MD is perfect. Tempo thresh is a very powerful deck if you don’t get mana screw. It also doesn’t hurt when you topdeck the right card at the right time. Next time if I play this deck again, I would possibly take out submerges for 4x disrupt or 4x BEB. I talked to the judge and there might be a chance they will host another legacy event around November. Also, I might be going back for the EDH league once I put my deck together.

Props:
-Warm weather
-Tempo thresh did well for that metagame
-Goose and Goyf, for being MVP of the day
-Winning a M10 boaster from the legacy challenge and opened Elvish Archdruid
-The judge, Gabriel, for being so nice and helpful
-all my opponents, for the good manner and friendly atmosphere
-Alex winning 1st place
-Me, for taking notes
-You, for reading my wall of text

Slops:
-Saturday, had to miss work
-Losing to sturdy hatchling in round 3
-Losing to banefire in round 5
-Not drawing a single blast in an entire day
-Wasteland, Spell Snare were dead most of the time
-Me spending too much time writing this

This tournament was unsanctioned and low attendance, but it might be the beginning of something special. My goal of write this is to hope to get more mainstream attention, so cards stores such as Eudo or Superstars willing to host legacy event again. We are currently having bi-weekly legacy meeting in San Francisco. Those of you who interested can PM me for the details.

Feedback is welcomed. Thank you for reading!

goobafish
07-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Glad you enjoyed the deck. The submerges might not've been so useful because you didn't face one green deck in all six rounds.

beastman
07-27-2009, 02:48 PM
Congratulations on the finish, and welcome to the source.

hyc8028
07-27-2009, 11:47 PM
Thanks you for the comment.

LegacyFTW
08-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Congrats man. I've been looking at this deck for a while, and debating over whether playing this or UGR Dreadstill.

gieli0
09-18-2009, 05:51 AM
I am realy curious what the mono red goblin list was, can you give a link?