PDA

View Full Version : Hissing Singularity

thesilentpyro
08-02-2009, 06:57 PM
As a Johnny, I have loved Leyline of Singularity since I saw it the first time. However, most of the best combos with it have already been done to death - Hunted Phantasm, Hunted Horror, Empress Galina, and Dovescape being the main ones. However, I decided I wouldn't let that stop me, and fired up Gatherer. As I was putting ideas together, I noticed that the very nature of the Leyline meant creatures were going to the graveyard quite a lot - enter Hissing Iguanar, the new Leyline tech. With the Leyline and the Iguanar out, your Hunted Phantasms are 4/6 unblockables with a Lava Axe for . It just went from there. I didn't leave out the classic combo pieces because, as previously discovered, they do work really well.

The list thus far is as follows. I have tried to explain the card choices.

The Engine
4x Leyline of Singularity [THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!]
4x Hissing Iguanar

The Synergy
4x Hunted Phantasm [Undercosted superthreat with a lava axe]
4x Varchild's War-Riders [On-color Hunted Horror with continual, increasing Iguanar damage]
3x Mogg Infestation [Destroy all creatures target player controls. For each creature put into a graveyard this way, deal 3 damage to that player.]
2x Empress Galina [Bomb stealer.]
3x Dovescape [Make their outs dead draws.]
4x Shapesharer [Spot removal, bomb cloning if they manage to kill the Leyline. Chosen over Clone for the rattlesnake threat/cheaper initial cost at the expense of targeting.]
4x Floating-Dream Zubera [Hatching Plans on legs, works well with Shapesharer.] Other Utility
2x Jaya Ballard, Task Mage [Turn every duplicate creature you draw into an Incinerate.]
3x Dreamscape Artist [More draw improving, fixes and accelerates]

Lands
4x Forbidden Orchard [Multiple activations nullify the drawback]
2x Minamo, School at Water's Edge [Why not?]
6x Mountain
11x Island

Although the rare count is high, they're mostly Johnny-tastic budget casual rares that work well together, so the entire deck is still fairly inexpensive - should be obtainable for ~$50 or less if you hunt well. Also, I'm looking for outs if/when the Leyline gets blown up. So far, the two best options seem to be Echoing Truth as it can be used to bounce a bunch of tokens, the Leyline itself, or other problematic permanents, and powder Keg, as it's a complete token wipe that works with the Iguanar, although sorcery-speed, does not protect the Leyline, and much less useful with a Leyline in play. Thoughts?

sauce
08-02-2009, 07:08 PM
Chrome mox may be nice to pitch some of the dead cards for extra mana at least.
Needs Karakas to go crazy w/ Hunted Phantasm and like an Aether vial maybe as well..

Shanghi Knights
08-03-2009, 12:08 AM
best bet is greater auramancy (spelling) to protect the leyline. its cheap and easy to get out

thesilentpyro
08-03-2009, 09:00 AM
Karakas, yes. I wish it produced blue, but the uncounterable bounce is too useful for me to toss it on that alone. I also wish it worked on more than just creatures (why wasn't it errata'd to 'target legendary permanent?), but, once again, I can never have it all easy. What would I switch out for the Mox? The deck's kinda tight on slots, but it'd be good to allow me something to do T1 instead of land, go. Also, it ruins the budget nature of the deck a bit, but I'm planning on picking some up eventually as I build my Legacy collection, so may as well go for it now. Aether Vial? Why? The deck's curve isn't concentrated in any one slot and getting the cards out fast isn't as much of a priority. Greater Auramancy is quick, easy, and dirty, but also white (no jokes about women here). I hate splashing that shit in a deck that can have some pretty heavy color requirements. Yes, I know I have Dreamscape Artist to help the splash, but it still weakens the manabase noticeably. Also, it's useless if the Leyline's already gone, which would be an issue as something like that I'd only want to run as a two-of (slots here are already tight).