PDA

View Full Version : Double Legacy Report from Boston

GThompson
08-06-2009, 02:26 PM
http://strategy.channelfireball.com/featured-articles/chasing-victory-double-legacy-report/#comments

Enjoy.

Nightmare
08-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Gerry, I'm glad to hear you've been enjoying the format so much. Always good to see pros playing our little format here.

Aggro_zombies
08-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Congrats on the finish!

How was the 3-1 Deed-Explosives split for you? Did you ever wish you had more Explosives?

What did you think about Visions? There's been some concern over the time it takes to resolve and the ease with which it can be Counterbalanced, so I'd be interested to hear a Pro's evaluation of it.

Nessaja
08-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Try Ultimate Walker next time, seems like a deck that would fit your needs.

Nice reading your report, quite enjoyed it. Very diverse tournament you got into, with unpredictable metagames like that, it's probably better not to metagame too much and just go at it with your standard optimized list.

MULocke
08-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Very diverse tournament you got into, with unpredictable metagames like that, it's probably better not to metagame too much and just go at it with your standard optimized list.

<3 Legacy. That's how it usually is. None of this 32 Vivid/Pool/Fallout junk. Force/Brainstorm/Top has nothing on standard.

Very well done report. Echoing Nightmare, it's nice to get some pro-level attention to Legacy once in a while.

Volt
08-07-2009, 02:33 AM
Okay, I was going to say some sarcastic shit about how y'all are falling all over each other to grab the pro's ass, but never mind...

GThompson
08-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Congrats on the finish!

How was the 3-1 Deed-Explosives split for you? Did you ever wish you had more Explosives?

What did you think about Visions? There's been some concern over the time it takes to resolve and the ease with which it can be Counterbalanced, so I'd be interested to hear a Pro's evaluation of it.

I played the Explosives so that I could have some recursion with Academy Ruins, which is easily accomplished by resolving a single Intuition. I think I like Deed more on average, but I would definitely play the one EE.

Ancestral was awesome. Aside from Wienburg winning the die roll and nut drawing me in game one of top eight, Ancestral was always good. There just aren't very many good raw card drawing options available. Everything else is too slow.

Spending a turn casting something like Fact of Fiction is often a death sentence in this format. Getting to that point only to see it Dazed is embarrassing.

Ancestral is slow, and so is basically everything else assuming you want a non Top engine. I'd much rather have Ancestral than FoF. Obviously you need a lot of answers to Counterbalance if you're Ancestral-ing. I think I had enough, although playing Snare and another Grip in the sideboard (and a fourth FOW, heh) would help.

bruno_tiete
08-07-2009, 02:32 PM
...What he probably should have done was use the Petal to cast Tinder Wall, Rite of Flame, Manamorphose for RB, play both LEDs, cast Spoils, cracking the LEDs in response, and finding another Empty the Warrens. That would have guaranteed him a bunch of guys (assuming he didn’t die to Spoils of course), and wouldn’t rely on him hitting a mana source and basically being dead if he didn’t.

I believe the correct play would be playing Spoils, cracking LEDs, naming Burning Wish to With for ETW. This seems to not only reduce his odds of being Spoiled out of the game (4 BW opposed to 2 EtW left), but also to increase storm count so that you had no way to buy an extra turn through a blocker or spot removal. (Although that could be irrelevant depending on number of fetchlands you played up to that point)

Very nice read. I hope you write about Gencon.

jeanbathez
08-10-2009, 07:38 AM
Very nice report !!!
Your thoughts about counterbalance and how the metagame changed and the metagame were very interesting.
It was very good to read !!!
Please keep on writing about Legacy !!!

AngryTroll
08-10-2009, 11:34 AM
I really like the discussion about Wurm Harvest (and the Exile into Darkness tech before that). Wurm Harvest as a win condition and a way to negate your opponent's Tarmogoyfs- I mean, creatures- is awesome. Plus, I've always loved that card.

Bardo
08-13-2009, 08:02 PM
Just read this. Excellent stuff. Keep it up. :)

Citrus-God
08-13-2009, 11:12 PM
It's nice seeing a Minnesotan do well.

Mictlantecuhtli
08-14-2009, 06:10 AM
@GThompson: thanks for writing those reports, they're excellent. I saw you at GP Brighton. I was surprised you chose to play the second day of the GP instead of signing up for the main event on Sunday (Legacy)!!! :wink:

Pulp_Fiction
08-18-2009, 01:35 AM
Wow, its to bad there aren't many competent pilots, hell, people playing DDFT, based on your matchups that deck with the SB plan for aggro would have been disgustingly good in that meta.

HAVE HEART
08-18-2009, 03:32 PM
@GThompson: thanks for writing those reports, they're excellent. I saw you at GP Brighton. I was surprised you chose to play the second day of the GP instead of signing up for the main event on Sunday (Legacy)!!! :wink:

He was pretty busy on that Sunday.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/gpbri09/standfin

Use the find function (Ctrl + "f" and type in "thompson"). I am pretty sure he came out ahead in his decision to skip any Legacy action.