PDA

View Full Version : [EDH] Kumano, Master Yamabushi

Jak
08-09-2009, 04:20 AM
Since, I have one deck pretty set, why not start another? I was drawn to monocolor because it is cheap and since green is a better support color, black isn't very cool or original, white is weak, and my Intet is already heavy blue, I chose red. I feel the color is very strong and artifact cards provide most of the card advantage that you could ever want.

Here is the list and I'll discuss what I want to do with it.

General
Kumano, Master Yamabushi

Land
29 Snow Covered Mountain
1 Scrying Sheets
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Wooded Foothills
1 Madblind Mountain
1 Great Furnace
1 Darksteel Citadel
1 Wasteland
1 Strip Mine
1 Temple of the False God
1 Thawing Glacier
1 Hall of the Bandit Lord

Accel
1 Sol Ring
1 Ruby Medallion
1 Coalition Relic
1 Darksteel Ingot
1 Thran Dynamo
1 Worn Powerhouse
1 Gilded Lotus
1 Gauntlet of Might
1 Gauntlet of Power
1 Extraplanar Lens

Card Advantage
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Journeyer's Kite
1 Mind's Eye
1 Memory Jar
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Wheel of Fate
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Planar Portal

Creatures
1 Goblin Welder
1 Akroma, Angel of Fury
1 Hostility
1 Dragon Tyrant
1 Bogardan Hellkite
1 Dragon Mage
1 Sundering Titan
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Flametongue Kavu
1 Detrivore
1 Viashino Heretic
1 Anger
1 Shard Phoenix
1 Magma Phoenix
1 Knollspine Dragon
1 Bloodfire Colossus
1 Duplicant
1 Godo, Bandit Warlord

Equipment
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Sword of Light and Shadow
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Skullclamp

Control
1 Skred
1 Spitting Earth
1 Lightning Bolt
1 Oblivion Stone
1 Nevinyrral's Disk
1 Starstorm
1 Molten Disaster
1 Earthquake
1 Chandra Nalaar
1 Wildfire
1 Burning of Xinye
1 Rack and Ruin
1 Shattering Spree

FTW!?
1 Banefire
1 Fork
1 Reiterate
1 Wild Ricochet
1 Mindslaver
1 Inssurection
1 Dragon Roost
1 Trash for Treasure
1 Repercussion
1 Word of Seizing
1 Grab the Reins
1 Savage Beating
1 Rage Reflection

I run 42 lands and a ton (seriously, a lot) of acceleration. This is to bascially get me to my threats faster. My deck is top heavy as hell and running stuff like the Gauntlets, Dynamo, etc gets me to them. It also ramps up for X spells and my general, Kumano (I'll get to him later).

CA in red is lacking but it is better than white. The Wheels and Jar give me draw 7s which is pretty amazing since I will have the mana to do things with all the cards I got. Journeyer's Kite, Thawing Glaciers, and Scrying Sheets ensure I won't miss a land drop. Top and Scroll Rack smooth the deck out but may need some more shuffle effects. Mind's Eye is good in everything. Crucible is to recover from LD (my own and others). And finally Planar Portal gets me anything I need. It isn't better than blue but it does what I need it to do, keeps me in the game.

Most of the creatures I run are Dragons since they are red's best creatures. Goblin Welder is okay. I am definitely on the fence about it since I don't run too many artifacts to recur or to be sacrificed. It does allow me to run one of my favorite cards, Mindslaver, but it may not be worth it.

Removal is good. I can handle creatures and artifacts well. Oblivion Stone and Disk help me with Enchantments and are just good sweepers in general.

Other decks can do broken things while red really can't. The Fork effects are good at getting the good stuff for me. The X damage spells are nice finishers. Mindslaver is a favorite of mine and may have to go, but it is still pretty good even if you can only activate it once. Trash for Treasure is good at recurring dead Gauntlets, Disks, Stones, Mind's Eye, and the favorite, Mindslaver. Insurrection should be in every deck with red. Dragon Roost gets ridiculous when you have a ton of mana. Price of Progress is a decent little finisher. Repercussion is pretty damn good with sweepers like Earthquake, Molten Disaster, Wildfire, etc. Word of Seizing helps handle enchantments so I can attack for the win (ie Solitary Confinement), or steal a big dude, etc. Grab the Reins is the same but removal as well. Savage Beating is what its name says and Rage Reflection gives my big fliers another hit.

I think the deck could be good. I am unsure of which way to go with the general since Godo or Akroma could be decent. However, Kumano is amazing with a ton of mana and this deck produces tons of mana. Thoughts on this?

The deck does need trimming which is why I am posting it and I probably missed some goodies. Any thoughts on the list?

frogboy
08-09-2009, 04:27 AM
Rorix is probably a better general. Anger sucks without a good way to yard it. Mana Crypt is straight broken.

Elfrago
08-09-2009, 04:29 AM
Braid of Fire man, braid of fire!

Jak
08-09-2009, 04:32 AM
Rorix is probably a better general. Anger sucks without a good way to yard it. Mana Crypt is straight broken.

I was hesitant to include Mana Crypt since it costs a shit ton. However, I did include Burning of Xinye, which probably shouldn't be.

Rorix seems okay. I just hate running a general that is just there to attack since the only good generals that just attack can do it much better (ie Rafiq). Still, it is up in the air so it could go either way (between RAkroma, Kumano, Rorix, and maybe Godo).

Edit- @BoF
I don't have many instants that are mana sinks and it is insanely slow. I guess EDH is slow so it may be good. Maybe with that one instant Fireball card.

Koby
08-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Possible additions:
Shivan Hellkite (mana sink)
Extraplana Lens (mana boost)
Grab the Reins (always fun on someone else's general)
Fire Imp
Tahngarth (with the equipment)
Godo the Bandit Lord (to get some equipment)

chokin
08-09-2009, 03:15 PM
Braid of Fire man, braid of fire!

That's the first thing I thought of when I saw the list. Starstorm is an "instant Wrath" that takes advantage of BoF. Ghitu Fire takes advantage of BoF too.

Godo, Bandit Warlord and Tatsumasa, the Dragon's Fang belong here. Godo tutoring up any equipment is nuts. TDF is a recurring threat (outside of exile effects).

Threaten is a decent inclusion. At least something to think about.

Brushwagg
08-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Bryant uses Godo as his General and it's a pretty good deck. You might borrow some ideas from him.

@Fungal Reaches: A little nit pick but you can't use it because it has a green mana symblow on it. You might look at Dwarven Hold.

Jak
08-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Bryant uses Godo as his General and it's a pretty good deck. You might borrow some ideas from him.

@Fungal Reaches: A little nit pick but you can't use it because it has a green mana symblow on it. You might look at Dwarven Hold.

Yeah my ba on the storage lands. I forgot they had the mana symbols.

I also heard about Bryant's list, can you ask him to post it?

Bryant Cook
08-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Godo, Bandit Warlord (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14247)

Hunter245
08-09-2009, 11:45 PM
1 Madblind Mountain- Do you ever use the second ability?
1 Mana Flare- Has this everworked in your favour? I think it's as bad as it is in constructed. Giving your opponents double mana is never good. Its fun I'll admit that
No strip/waste/vesuva?
No maze of ith too?
1 Scroll Rack How is this. It's a card I've been watching. Are you able to take advantage of it?
1 Planar Portal.. Way too mana intensive. I feel like throwing mana into your general would be better.
1 Gorrilla Shaman, Weak and way to mana intensive. Don't you have enough artifact hate?
No skullclamp/jitte?
Wildfire n Burning of Xinye. How has the wildfire effect worked out for you
1 Rack and Ruin
1 Shattering Spree

Fork, Reiterate, Wild Ricochet- How has these held up

1 Dragon Roost- Is this a better mana dump then kumano?

btw link to my list..
http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14481

Elfrago
08-10-2009, 04:04 AM
1 Scrying Sheets
1 Thawing Glacier
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Journeyer's Kite
1 Scroll Rack
1 Planar Portal
1 Akroma, Angel of Fury
1 Viashino Heretic
1 Gorrilla Shaman
1 Shard Phoenix
1 Dragon Breath
1 Oblivion Stone
1 Starstorm
1 Rack and Ruin
1 Mindslaver
1 Dragon Roost

yeah, you got no way to sink BoF mana.

Jak
08-10-2009, 05:42 AM
yeah, you got no way to sink BoF mana.

You got me. I'll add it in.

And I totally forgot Extraplanar Lens existed. That's going in inplace of the "meh" Mana Flare.

@ Hunter

I'll try to hit up each choice in order.

Madblind Mountain gives me a shuffle effect when I need it for Top and Scroll Rack.

Flare is out and Lens is in.

I will probably add Waste and Strip back in but I was trying to stay away from LD since it usually means you get ganged up on. Stuff like Moons, Ruination, dwarven blastminer, etc were cut because of it. I also
want a lot of Mountains.

Maze of Ith is meh. I would rather just have another Mountain since I run Alot if removal currently.

Yes to the Scroll Rack question. With shuffle effects it can just get rid of deAd cards in your hand. I have it in Intet where it is better but thought it would be decent in here where Draw is hard to come by.

Planar Portal really isn't way too mana intensive. I run a shit ton of acceleration and this can grab me answers or threats that I need. I also will probably wait to drop my general until I can win with it most of the time.

Agree on Shaman. Cut.

I could add both of these and will probably end up doing it.

Rack and Ruin is amazing and so is Shattering Spree. So many targets that I feel both are necessary.

Wild Ricochet is awesome and playing it on time walk effects or draw spells is murder. The forks are pseudo counterspells, can steal cards, etc definitely worth it. It gives red something busted.

I think Dragon Roost is worth it. Again, sometimes I don't just want to throw my general out there so having other mana sinks is good.

I think that's all of it.

@ Bryant
Thanks for the list I'll check it out.

Jak
08-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Newest list in opening post. Trimmed the land count down and cut a few
other spells.

AngryTroll
08-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Wild Ricochet is awesome and playing it on time walk effects or draw spells is murder.

Truth. As you said, it's also sick against card draw like Opportunity, time walk effects, and even pretty solid against targeted removal. Oh, and winning off of someone else's Banefire is awesome (especially when they have just under twice your life and think they have the game in the bag...).

Insurrection looks savage.

Kaerevac's Torch might be worth a slot.

Both Rimescale Dragon and Scourge of Kher Ridges might be worth slots, as they're a threat and pretty potent removal (that can use Braid of Fire mana) in one.

Hunter245
08-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Shattering spree and Rack and Ruin, was a question I forgot to type up. How do you play these? Blow up goodstuff or signets, and accel? I'm trying to fit in more artifact hate in my list.

Blood Moon effects should be run, They seriously are not a win card.. They moan about magus of the moon but not something like mindslaver or sundering titan? Seriously run it they just have to take out a few of those edh crappy nonbasics. Your playing red! Strip mine/waste/vesuva (legendary land hate) are all neccessary, One they get tolerian academy and you get gorge, they have academy ruins/volrath. You also run wildfire, I'd be more upset about sacrificing 4 lands then turning them into colorless.

I didn't even notice madblind mountain was a mountain lol.

Give the Maze a shot. Seriously don't underestimate this card, try it.

My question is how many turns do they usually sit in your hand (wild ric/fork) before they do something, How many turns do you have to keep mana open?

Card Suggestions:

Jitte, Gamble, Muze Vessel, Capricious Efreet (Destroy enchantments woo!), Maze,

Jak
08-10-2009, 04:05 PM
Are you asking when and on what I cast Shattering Spree and Rack on? Usually I try to wait until they play their artifacts since most decks play Duplicant, Titan, and Mindslaver. If necessary I will hit their artifact mana if I can color screw them or mana screw them. Shattering Spree is amazing at knocking all their artifact mana out. However, don't just waste them. Make sure you hit something of value.

Moon effects aren't wins, you're right, but they are annoying and players hate that. I would run Ruination, a card that will win the game, over cards that are just meant to set the oppenent back. I have added Waste and Strip Mine but Vesuva is meh since I don't run many awesome things to copy.

Maze of Ith would have to be run instead of a non land card and I just don't think it's worth it.

You really never cast them early in the game since they get stronger as the spells you opponent play get stronger. This deck can produce a lot of mana so leaving some open isn't that hard.

I don't like running a lot of equipment because my individual threats are usually enough. Equipment is pretty bad alone. I run the 4 since they do things that I need, draw cards, provide protection, and recur some fallen threats.

@ Angrytroll
I really like the ice counter dude. I'm really unsure how many sweepers I should run so maybe the sweeper dragon could be decent.

THEchubbymuffin
09-04-2009, 04:04 AM
I was looking through your list, pretty sure you can't use detrivore.

Jak
09-04-2009, 05:12 AM
I was looking through your list, pretty sure you can't use detrivore.

The red one? I misspelled his name. I meant Detritivore.

MattH
09-07-2009, 11:46 AM
DUDES

Pretty sure Detritivore sucks. :P

Flameblast Dragon would be pretty excellent.
So would red Akroma.
Jaya Ballard usually has plenty of targets to REB.
Scourge of Kher Ridges is a decent answer to (large) fliers, against which your deck seems a little lacking.
Heartless Hidetsugu is a guy who is good if you don't mind everyone hating you.
Jiwari, the Earth Aflame is a split creature/sweeper. Ryusei is both.

UTILITY

I would consider Shattering Pulse over Rack and Ruin. Another way to use Braid, and more reusable. Not so great with Wheels but meh.

Seismic Strike is probably better than Spitting Earth. +1 mana, but instant speed. Similarly, Fault Line > Earthquake.

Lightning Bolt also seems terribly underpowered. Could this be Unwilling Recruit or something? Pulse of the Forge?

EPIC

Vicious Shadows is insane, if you don't know!

Twist Allegiance is a mini-Insurrection.

Aggravated Assault can unleash an unholy amount of damage if you're the type of deck that can get to 5 or 10 mostly-red mana, which you are.

Obliterate as an "oh shit" button? Bad if you see a lot of Knowledge Exploitation.

Furnace of Rath?