PDA

View Full Version : [FUN]Identical decks that boost eachother

Ectoplasm
08-09-2009, 12:41 PM
So my mate, who is in Thailand right now but moving back to the Netherlands in a month, is looking forward to playing our monday-night-casual-multiplayer magicgames again. We've had some fun times with him playing aggro elves and me playing manaramp with priest of titania, hurricaning an 8+ free for all multiplayer game for 58 and stuff like that.
So we decided, why not make two identical decks designed to boost eachother? Hilarity would be guaranteed right? So we quickly came up with accumulated knowledge and the 'burst' spells, out of which only aether burst is really worthwhile. Then he went to sleep (timezones etc) and I fooled around with the idea some more.

What I came up with was a WB deck with a blue splash for accumulated knowledge, aether burst, gifts ungiven (guess who's gonna make the piles) and psychatog (why not) in a BW weenie shell, with eventide and guildpact creatures being pumped by bad moon and crusade (which pump your 'opponent's' guys as well). I would play intuition instead of gifts, but it's a deck meant for casual multiplayer and I'm not shelling out €30 for a set of intuition just to annoy people on the multiplayer table.

So without further ado, the decklist I came up with:

Dudes:
3x Divinity of Pride (4/4 flying lifelink BW demigod from eventide which becomes 8/8)
4x Mourning Thrull (1/1 flying lifelink BW guy for 2 mana)
4x Nip Gwyllion (1/1 lifelink BW 1 mana)
2x Psychatog (roar)
2x Restless Apparition (2/2 BW 3 mana guy which can be pumped)
3x Voracious Hatchling (6/6 BW guy for 4 mana with lifelink, starts with 4 -1/-1 counters which will disappear when you play spells)

Pump:
4x Crusade
4x Bad Moon

Lame:
4x Aether Burst (bounce 1 guy and 1 guy for each aether burst in all GY's)
4x Accumulated Knowledge
4x Gifts Ungiven

Lands:
4x Arcane Sanctum (esper land)
4x Island
7x Plains
7x Swamp

Any ideas? I'm considering fact or fiction but that's IMO not even funny anymore, since you'll just split the piles 5-0 every time and I'm sure people are going to complain. It's just a step too gay :) But everything else is fair game!

Nihil Credo
08-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Rune Snag, Feast of Flesh, Myr Servitor, the obvious Plague/Relentless Rats and on-colour Slivers, Ascendant Evincar/Crovax, Ascendant Hero, Celestial Crusader.

Malchar
08-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Fact or Fiction?

edit: nevermind, saw that you talked about it. aether burst always makes me want to run scrivener. seriously though, fact or fiction is great in multiplayer. you can always give it to a different opponent and play some politics.

Ectoplasm
08-09-2009, 04:14 PM
I like the idea of running sinew slivers, I'll replace the mourning thrulls with 4 and I've replaced the hatchling with hunted horror.

Nihil Credo
08-09-2009, 07:53 PM
FWIW, I know it's casual, but still it doesn't feel right to me that you and your friend are playing together yet pretend to be "opponents" just to abuse a couple of cards, when you really are teammates (see: Imperial Mask).

Playing Crusades that also happen to benefit each other, OK; setting up temporary alliances during the game, OK; but agreeing from the start to make optimal Gifts pile for each other sounds like crossing an invisible line to me. Just a feeling - it's up to your group anyway.

Ectoplasm
08-10-2009, 08:05 PM
FWIW, I know it's casual, but still it doesn't feel right to me that you and your friend are playing together yet pretend to be "opponents" just to abuse a couple of cards, when you really are teammates (see: Imperial Mask).

Playing Crusades that also happen to benefit each other, OK; setting up temporary alliances during the game, OK; but agreeing from the start to make optimal Gifts pile for each other sounds like crossing an invisible line to me. Just a feeling - it's up to your group anyway.

We're just messing around, and that invisible line is the reason I'm not running stuff like FoF. At any rate, it makes for a nice brain-exercise :)

THEchubbymuffin
08-13-2009, 05:02 PM
Aren't Slivers the way to go here? I mean virulent sliver is the shizz.

Ectoplasm
08-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Aren't Slivers the way to go here? I mean virulent sliver is the shizz.

Slivers would be the easy way out :mad:

Malchar
08-13-2009, 08:43 PM
One deck is a combo deck. The other deck is all counterspells to protect the combo deck.