PDA

View Full Version : Pauper Tribal deck

(nameless one)
08-09-2009, 11:03 PM
Im a big fan of tribal decks (my legacy decks are: X-land Elvish Stompy, Vial Goblins and Merfolk)

we're having a pauper tourney soon, any suggestions for pauper tribal?

Willoe
08-13-2009, 06:15 PM
With the new Swordsmiths, Soldiers just seem incredibly sexy. Popping out 2 2/2s with raise the alarm at instant speed seems tournament worthy to me.

Also because white can answer artifacts and enchantments and because one can maindeck 4 Unmake without problems.

Here's what I'd like to try out soon (untested sketch)

4 Icatian Javelineer
4 Duergar Assailant
4 Ballyrush Banneret
3 Advance Scout
3 Veteran Armorer
2 Veteran Armorsmith
4 Veteran Swordsmith
4 Ballyknock Cohort

4 Oblivion Ring
4 Exile
4 Raise the Alarm
2 Cenn's Enlistment

22 Plains

I don't know if this is any good, but if you could test & post thoughts, it'd be awesome.

Koby
08-13-2009, 06:22 PM
GW Slivers!

Plated, Poisonous, Sinew, Muscle, Flanking, "Reach", that mostly fulfills the "tribal" requirement. Changelings help meet that quota as well.

MU Fae is also decent.

Monored Goblins with 17 land is stupid crazy good. Nothing more than 2cc along with Rites of Initiation and/or Song of Blood.

EDIT: www.pdcmagic.com aka Pauper Deck Constructed

LostButSeeking
08-17-2009, 09:34 AM
Mmmm, faeries. This is a MUFish list from PDC classic. That's . . . um *takes off socks to count* . . . 15 faeries.

4 Zephyr Sprite
3 Faerie Squadron
4 Spellstutter Sprite
3 Looter il-Kor
4 Pestermite
4 Ninja of the Deep Hours
4 Spire Golem
4 Aether Burst
4 Counterspell
4 Rune Snag
2 Lonely Sandbar
20 Island

+1 faerie squadron, +4 cloud of faeries rounds you out, although I'm too lazy to figure out what you should cut. You might need equipment--bonesplitter or vulshock morningstar--to make your clock fast enough to cut it.

Skeggi
08-17-2009, 09:44 AM
You're allowed a few uncommons right? Catapult Squad is broken in Soldiers and I guess it'd be even more broken in pauper. And I thought rares weren't allowed, so Exile is banned, right?

Waikiki
08-17-2009, 09:46 AM
pauper is common only

LostButSeeking
08-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Pauper is common only. Peasant is commons and five uncommons.

Exile was printed at Common in Masters edition on MTGO, and so for online tourneys is counted at a common. I don't know if that makes it count for being "in print" at common in a paper tournament.

The other thing you should check is whether your event is going to "round down"--that is, if something was ever printed at common, it counts as a common, or if they're going to "round up", and anything printed above common is disallowed. This affects whether you can use things like counterspell or soul warden.

(nameless one)
08-17-2009, 12:30 PM
mogg fanatic was printed common back in tempest, would he still count as common or uncommon (mogg fanatic is uncommon in Xth)

Waikiki
08-17-2009, 12:33 PM
counts as a common if its ever printed as one.

LostButSeeking
08-17-2009, 12:40 PM
counts as a common if its ever printed as one.

That depends on your playgroup. Most do it this way, but I've seen groups that say "silver is always silver" and won't let you do it.

Aggro_zombies
08-17-2009, 03:19 PM
Mmmm, faeries. This is a MUFish list from PDC classic. That's . . . um *takes off socks to count* . . . 15 faeries.

4 Zephyr Sprite
3 Faerie Squadron
4 Spellstutter Sprite
3 Looter il-Kor
4 Pestermite
4 Ninja of the Deep Hours
4 Spire Golem
4 Aether Burst
4 Counterspell
4 Rune Snag
2 Lonely Sandbar
20 Island

+1 faerie squadron, +4 cloud of faeries rounds you out, although I'm too lazy to figure out what you should cut. You might need equipment--bonesplitter or vulshock morningstar--to make your clock fast enough to cut it.
I would think blue-black would be better because then you'd have Dreamspoiler Witches and Doom Blade. Something like:

4 Zephyr Sprite
4 Spellstutter Sprite
4 Cloud of Faeries
4 Pestermite
4 Dreamspoiler Witches

4 Brainstorm
2 Compulsive Research

4 Counterspell
4 Rune Snag

4 Doom Blade

4 Terramorphic Expanse
4 Lonely Sandbar
11 Island
3 Swamp

Waikiki
08-17-2009, 03:28 PM
really miss ninja of the deep hours in there.

Aggro_zombies
08-17-2009, 09:40 PM
really miss ninja of the deep hours in there.
Yeah, but it doesn't really fit. I'd replace Zephyr Sprites with it, but then you're under the minimum number of creatures for the tribal requirement. You could replace Compulsive Research with Ninjas, but Research is generally much more powerful, and if I was going to replace Research with anything it would be Inspiration for the instant speed. The rest of the cards in there are instants to support Witches, which are pretty much a total house against anything small and aggro-y - in other words, pretty much everything he should be facing.

In some ways, losing Spire Golem is a bigger deal since it's so hard to kill in combat relative to the amount of mana you'd realistically spend to play it. Ninja will get through once and then almost always bite it to removal or a blocker.