PDA

View Full Version : Legacy champs top 8

irrelevant
08-17-2009, 10:58 PM
Well first I need to preface this with a little about the day before. So I didn’t get much sleep I had top 8ed vintage champs the night before and stayed out drafting and waiting for my friend to top 8 the standard event that started at 11pm. We got back to the hotel at 3 am and I began building a deck. After making a key decision to cut some dredge hate and triple checking my deck registration I finally got to sleep at 4am. So after a wonderful 5 hours of sleep and getting blown out by the hotels not having their continental breakfast or a working drink/coffee machine. We take what muffins and fruit we could find and head to gencon.

Here is my list

4 brainstorm
4 ponder
4 force of will
4 tarmogoyf
4 dark confidant
4 counterbalance
3 daze
3 spell snare
3 smother
3 thought seize
3 sensei’s diving top
2 trygon predator
1 engineered explosive

2 flooded strand
4 polluted delta
4 tropical island
3 underground sea
1 island
1 swamp
3 wasteland

SB:
3 krosan grip
2 sower of temptation
2 threads of disloyalty
3 extirpate
2 blue elemental blast
2 hydro blast
1 engineered explosives

I must apologize to my opponents. I don’t keep notes and my memory is poor so there are probably mistakes in here. I also don’t have anyone’s names, sorry about that.

Round 1 vs Eva green

G1 So round 1 my opponent is playing Eva green with lotus petals. I win the die roll lead with a thought seize and take his thought seize. Spell snare his goyfs and he scoops to the CB lock after he draws excessive amounts of land.
I boarded out 2 predator’s for 2 sowers
G2 He mulls to 5 keeps a hand of land and a goyf. I seize his goyf and he draws nothing but land the rest of the way.

I feel bad he drew so poorly in these matchups game 1 he ended with 7-8 land in play and almost all his fetches in the graveyard.
1-0

Round 2 vs golden graham’s

G1 I don’t see much of his deck besides a life from the loam and a hand full of LEDs. He tells me he shouldn’t have kept the hand.
I board out 3 smother for 3 extirpate
G2 He resolves a gamekeeper and I miss the fact that I can extirpate him when he hits the graveyard with the trigger on the stack and lose to progenitius.
G3 Turn one thought seize followed by a turn two extirpate on his gamekeepers with enough spell snares for his living wishes to let goyf get there.

He was a fun guy to play against and he gave me the pointer about gamekeeper actually having to go to the yard to trigger. So thanks for that.
2-0

Round 3 vs dredge
G1 Dredge does what it does
I board out 4 counterbalances and 2 trygons for 2 sower 3 extirpate 1 explosive
G2 I extirpate his bridges and have two goyfs. One to hold of the ichorid the other to swing for victory.
G3 Again I have an extirpate for his bridges followed up by some beats.

3-0

Round 4 vs mono white stax

G1 He is distraught to find out I run trygon main. After he finds an oblivion ring for my first one fetches and brainstorms reveal my second trygon and he quickly frees his banished brethren. They proceed to eat all his permanents.
I board out 4 counterbalance 3 spell snare for 3 krosan grip 1 explosive 2 sower 1 extirpate
G2 I don’t remember but I’m pretty sure I scooped to an armageddon with magus of the tabernacle in play.
G3 Is a drawn out game where I extirpate his armageddons and am able to thought seize and counter his dangerous spells. Winning on the back of bob’s awesome ability to generate card advantage.

There was a couple missed triggers in this matchup which I really should have been paying much more attention to. I let him keep his city of traitors in play for 2 extra land drops almost costing me the match. A spectator finally chimed in and let us know about it.
4-0

Round 5 vs train wreck
G1 He duresses me and takes spell snare leaving the counterbalance in my hand. My sleep addled mind doesn’t register this and play counterbalance next turn. Blind reveal doesn’t save me from the hymn which manages to dump all my relevant cards into the graveyard. A couple turns later a haunting echos blows me out. I keep playing trying to figure out what his deck does. He plays staff of domination, cabal coffers, and finally he plays a hell dozer and I figure it out. I board out 4 counterbalance for 3 grip 1 explosive
G2 he keeps a two lander with coffers and I waste it turn two. He never recovers.
G3 I don’t remember much of this game. I do remember him stumbling on land early and gripping a staff but not much else. Sleep addled memory.
We have some friendly chatter during the match which is always nice and I run into him later and he tells me he ends up in top 16 so congrats.
5-0

Round 6 vs bant thresh
G1 good game here I remember resolving a bob and a goyf and just keeping control from there but it was a slim margin for sure.
I have no recollection of how I boarded this matchup
G2 this game was an epic we struggle back and forth trading counters and him killing my CB with a resolved pridemage. Only to have me take back advantage with a goyf the next turn. He then breaks my back by resolving a sower and I die a few turns later unable to recover.
G3 This game hinges on the first two turns. I play bob and he thinks about it and ends up forcing it. He untaps plays a land and plays counterbalance which I daze. He about falls out of his chair. “You play daze in there!?” I play another bob and draw to many cards for him to come back from.
I overheard him saying that this was only his second actual tournament so very well played for that little experience. He made some comments and remarks during the match which gave me many clues to him not quite sure what I was playing and not knowing what cards where in my deck. Specifically daze which I was very surprised by him not knowing was in my list. The look on his face when I played daze was unforgettable.
6-0

Round 7 vs tempo thresh (goobafish)
ID
6-0-1
Round 8 vs dredge the guy who won
ID
6-0-2

Top 8 match vs dredge
G1 i keep a marginal hand and get blown out pretty quickly
I board in 3 extirpate 1 explosives 2 sower and take out 4 counter balance 2 spell snare
G2 he mulls to 4 and I force his turn one breakthrough. Then extirpate grave troll, brainstorm into another extirpate and get his bridges. He scoops.
G3 I mull to five looking for a force or an extirpate keep a sloppy hand with an explosive, goyf, 2 delta, force. I think he had a turn one led breakthrough hand and he played it safe not popping led but I'm not sure here. All I remember is not sacking explosives after his zombie triggers resolved but before his dread return resolved giving him the chance to empty my hand with sadistic hypnotist. I quickly lost after that. Good games and congrats on the win.

Well this was my first tournament report so I hope you enjoyed it.

Props my opponents for being cool players and good sports
gen con in general
my friends for feeding me fruit throughout the tournament, Jeff thanks letting me watch some of the bears game with you

Slops fire alarms
not enough dredge hate
60 min rounds

audioslave
08-17-2009, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the props. Too bad I was only good for some random fruit and granola bars. Hopefully next time I can do a little better then my 3-2 record. Nice work Deven.

cdr
08-17-2009, 11:22 PM
G3 Turn one thought seize followed by a turn two extirpate on his gamekeepers with enough spell snares for his living wishes to let goyf get there.

Why was Living Wish relevant? You know you can't get exiled cards with Wishes anymore, right?

He was a fun guy to play against and he gave me the pointer about gamekeeper actually having to go to the yard to trigger. So thanks for that.

What you mean is that you have to be able to exile Gamekeeper from the graveyard when the Gamekeeper's ability resolves.

Jeff Kruchkow
08-17-2009, 11:43 PM
Why was Living Wish relevant? You know you can't get exiled cards with Wishes anymore, right?

However, his opponent could wish for Salvagers and win or he might main 3 Gamekeeper and side 1.

cdr
08-17-2009, 11:45 PM
That's why I was asking.

irrelevant
08-18-2009, 12:21 AM

What you mean is that you have to be able to exile Gamekeeper from the graveyard when the Gamekeeper's ability resolves.

Yes I know you can no longer wish for cards that were exiled. I felt countering the wish was relevant because I was unsure what he had in his sideboard and having the spell snares for his wishes it seemed like the correct play. He did side out his salvagers for games two and three. He told me after the match that he was going to wish for shriekmaw to kill my goyf.

Yes I needed to be able to extirpate his gamekeeper while it's in his graveyard with the exile trigger on the stack. I worded that awkwardly.

goobafish
08-18-2009, 12:22 AM
Congrats on the finish. Nice meeting you!

cdr
08-18-2009, 12:55 AM
Maybe I wasn't clear either - I meant "you" as in the person with Gamekeeper in the yard.

When Gamekeeper is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you may exile it. If you do, reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a creature card. Put that card onto the battlefield and put all other cards revealed this way into your graveyard.

Bardo
08-18-2009, 12:59 AM
Sweet list. I totally dig it. About it, did you consider Doom Blade over Smother? How was Trygon? Seems to be junk or awesome when I play it (not a lot of middle ground with that guy). Wasteland seems might random w/o Stifle. I think I'd rather have 2 more Strands and an Island. How were they? Also that 1 EE looks pretty random too.

Do you plan on making any changes to the main or side?

Anyway, nice run. Congrats!

Leftconsin
08-18-2009, 01:30 AM
Congratulations again Deven. Too bad I didn't get there in round 7 to join you in the T8.

Majin_ZERO
08-19-2009, 12:45 AM
Deven, (sorry if I spelled that wrong). I just wanted to say congrats on making T8. And also wanted to thank you for your congrats to me for my win. Youre a nice guy and a great player. It was a pleasure sitting across the table from you.....twice. Maybe ill see ya there again next year.

Ghoulax
08-19-2009, 01:51 AM
Does anyone knows the rest of the Top 8 at GenCon??? Or where it's published???

Thanks in advance.

Greets.

Korsakow
08-19-2009, 03:04 AM
The same here, T16 would be interesting. Anybody knows a link?

thx

irrelevant
08-19-2009, 09:20 AM
Sweet list. I totally dig it. About it, did you consider Doom Blade over Smother? How was Trygon? Seems to be junk or awesome when I play it (not a lot of middle ground with that guy). Wasteland seems might random w/o Stifle. I think I'd rather have 2 more Strands and an Island. How were they? Also that 1 EE looks pretty random too.

Do you plan on making any changes to the main or side?

Anyway, nice run. Congrats!

Yeah the only reason I ran smother over doomblade is because of Bob and that never came up so today I would swap them out. I also would cut the explosives for the 4th top I didn't see it as often as I would have liked. The wastelands where in there as more of a manland removal suit. I expected a lot more mutavaults and mishras factories then I saw. It also helps to have outs against glacial chasm, maze of ith main deck. They were pretty good all tournament.
The sideboard threads were useless so I would cut them probably add 4th extirpate and add the 2nd explosives to the sideboard. I haven't really tested that but its what I would start trying out.

Thanks everyone for the congrats. It was good to meet you to Dave and Ernest hope to see both of you in the top 8 next year.

Giles
08-19-2009, 09:12 PM
Slops
60 min rounds

How is this a slop? I rather have longer rounds then shorter rounds every single time I play magic.

MULocke
08-20-2009, 05:15 PM
How is this a slop? I rather have longer rounds then shorter rounds every single time I play magic.

The rounds just took forever, making the tournament itself take forever. If you need 60 minutes to finish a match, you're playing too slowly and should be getting slow play warnings.

irrelevant
08-21-2009, 09:21 AM
Yeah the tournament started at 10am. Round 8 was scheduled to finish at 8:50 before the fire alarm. The least amount of time I had between rounds was 14 minutes the most 38. At our FNM we play with 40 minute rounds. If you play at a reasonable pace there is no way we need 60 minute rounds. It just dragged out an already long tournament.

Our_Benefactors
08-23-2009, 12:18 AM
I was your r4 Stax opponent. Nice job finding your second trygon in the first match :rolleyes: And apologies on missing that trigger. It was not intentional cheatery.

Nice to see one of my opponents made T8.

_erbs_
08-24-2009, 01:24 AM
Congrats to the champ and the winners !!!

The top 8 decks
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/53c

Funny tons of thresh variants and not a single merfolk deck made in through... nice to see the lone stax aswell.

congrats all again !!

Giles
08-24-2009, 03:22 AM
The rounds just took forever, making the tournament itself take forever. If you need 60 minutes to finish a match, you're playing too slowly and should be getting slow play warnings.

I only really play dedicated control decks or combo. When I am playing dedicated control, I would like to have a bathroom break.
And it gives control mirrors ample time.

Legacy
08-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Hey, I was your round 6 player. About the daze, it is just that i didn't see any 1st or 2nd game on the spell snare, plus you ran smother, cb, tarm, bob all at 2cc, so i figured you omitted the daze since you already had a good 2cc for counterbalance not to mention spell snares. I figured no waste land as well and vedalken shackles at first too.

Great job on the making top 8 though!

Just wondering if you were happy with your manabase, i figured you would have just rolled over and died to waste lands and stifles etc. (18 lands 3 of which are waste land). I always found 20 lands to be a minimum, also because counter balance needs a lot of lands to run comfortably. What is your opinion on this matter?

congrats again