PDA

View Full Version : [pauper] Mimic Aggro

(nameless one)
08-18-2009, 04:04 PM
hello all, im starting to get into pauper.

i saw some wicked aggro-control pauper deck that revolves around Nightsky Mimic. it obviously used W/B cards such as Unmake.

Im not exactly sure about the build that ive seen but heres my take on it:

2 Barren Moor
2 Secluded Steppe
7 Swamp
7 Plains
2 Terramorphic Expanse

4 Nighsky Mimic
4 Blind Hunter
4 Mourning Thrull

4 Beckon Apparition
4 Castigate
4 Edge of Divinity
4 Pillory of the Sleepless
4 Unmake
4 Oblivion Ring
4 Sign in Blood

Any positive comments or suggestion?

Aggro_zombies
08-18-2009, 04:08 PM
Putrid Warrior? Also, you have too many multicolored spells. You don't need that many to regularly trigger Mimic, so drop a few and add Duress and/or Doom Blade.

Koby
08-18-2009, 04:16 PM
You need more creatures than just those 12, probably closer to 22-24 for consistency. Up the count to 4 Terramorphics, since you don't generally have turn 1 plays.

Nip Gwnyllion & Phyrexian Rager (instead of Sign in Blood) are good choices.

Pillory is really weak from my testing - you're better off with removal. Like Nameless Inversion/Last Gasp/Doom Blade.

Duress isn't necessary since there's not a lot of non-creature strats in Pauper. It's better for the SB against combo/MBC.

Aggro_zombies
08-18-2009, 04:20 PM
Nip Gwnyllion & Phyrexian Rager (instead of Sign in Blood) are good choices.
Instead of? "In addition to" would be much better. He doesn't have any other ways to refill his hand outside of Sign in Blood, and the Mimics really want you to play at least one spell per turn.

Beckon Apparition is basically like Nip Gwyllion, but with evasion.

There's also the possibility of running those rats from Visions for creature control.

LostButSeeking
08-18-2009, 04:25 PM
I agree with AZ and Ruckus. I think you should cut the Beckon Apparitions for the putrid warriors. Because of your lifegain, you should be solid against burn and grapeshot combo. Make sure you have echoing decay in the sideboard for ETW combo.

Let us know how you do. Good luck.

EDIT: AZ posted this while I was posting, I wanted to talk about this.
Beckon Apparition is basically like Nip Gwyllion, but with evasion.

I disagree with this. With edge of divinity in the deck, nip gwyllion is a much stronger play. Lifelink is huge in the pauper I play, as so many people just port over burn.

Also, the rats AZ mentions about are Crypt Rats. That's probably a good SB card if you're facing something like slivers.

Koby
08-18-2009, 04:28 PM
Something closer to this:

4 Nip Gwnyllion
4 Nightsky Mimic
4 Phyrexian Rager
4 Blind Hunter
4 Mourning Thrull

4 Castigate
4 Beckon Apparition
4 Edge of Divinity
3 Oblivion Ring
4 Unmake

21 Land

You don't need "card draw" because games don't run down fast. Remember this is pauper, and it's unlike your normal constructed formats in that:

1) there are no good sweepers (Crypt Rats is the only one)
2) there are limited ways to deal with flyers
3) lifelink provides so much resiliency against random decks in races

Sticking 1 or 2 creatures out, protecting them with Castigate, and playing tight is a good way to run this deck.

Keep a focused game plan: play guys, remove blockers, and attack ftw. The Sign in Blood is better off in the MonoBlack control deck, with Corrupts & Tendrils of Corruption.

(nameless one)
08-18-2009, 04:37 PM
so i should play this ala aggro not aggro control?

Phyrexian Rager does sound more appealing than sign in blood if im going aggro...

apparently Holy Light is a good pseudo board removal... but it doesnt work with Rager

also, the key of the deck is playing W/B spells each turn to make Nightsky Mimic effective. i would love to stay at that flavor but if its detrimental to the deck, then my options are open.

has anyone actually tried running such deck?

Aggro_zombies
08-18-2009, 05:06 PM
I haven't played this deck specifically, but I played Dominus Deck Wins occasionally. If you want aggro-control-ish, that deck is probably more in line with what you're thinking of...in a way.

Koby
08-18-2009, 05:09 PM

I play this deck on MODO, and it mostly wins.

It has a tough time against COP:Black coupled with Obsidian Acolyte, due to the nearly "mono"black nature.

I usually play MBC/u or Storm in tourneys, but this deck is fun to auto-pilot with.

(nameless one)
08-18-2009, 10:32 PM
I haven't played this deck specifically, but I played Dominus Deck Wins occasionally. If you want aggro-control-ish, that deck is probably more in line with what you're thinking of...in a way.

do you have a decklist of this dominus deck of yours? also, how do you run it?

Koby
08-18-2009, 11:10 PM
Dominus Deck Wins is essentially mono-red U/R hybrid deck with the Clout of Dominus for pumping the hybrid dorks. It's like RDW, but runs a limited amount of the creatures.

I don't think it's consistent at all, since there definitely no control in it, and COP:Red or Pro:Red just beats it.

(nameless one)
08-19-2009, 07:51 AM
hey ruckus,

how exactly do you pilot your mimic deck? do you aim to play Nightsky Mimic right away and play W/B spells or you try to control the game 1st?

i would imagine play mimic ASAP and try to protect it, right?

Koby
08-19-2009, 02:08 PM
I play it aggro style, typically with the Mimic ASAP.

It also depends on the hands, but for the most part, i just raw dawg it.

(nameless one)
08-19-2009, 03:11 PM
since i cannot find Nip Gwyllion,

here is my current build:

5 Plains
5 Swamp
4 Terramorphic Expanse
2 Barren Moor
2 Secluded Steppe

4 Lotus Petal

4 Nightsky Mimic
4 Mourning Thrull
4 Blind Hunter
3 Phyrexian Rager

4 Beckon Apparition
4 Edge of Divinity
4 Castigate
4 Pillory of the Sleepless
4 Unmake
3 Oblivion Ring (could be Holy Light)

SB: im still deciding since pauper is still developing in my meta.

I dont have much 1-drop, so I decided to play Lotus Petals so I can pull off a 1st turn Mimic or Thrull

If the 1st turn Petal route is not available, hopefully I can just do the Terramorphic thing.

Although there arent much card choices in the pool, I like how the deck goes.