PDA

View Full Version : A_Z's Pauper decks

Aggro_zombies
08-18-2009, 05:00 PM
Since there seems to be some interest in Pauper, I though I'd put up a few of my lists and see what people thought.

:b::g: Threshold

4 Terramorphic Expanse
3 Tranquil Thicket
3 Barren Moor
4 Forest
8 Swamp

4 Putrid Leech
4 Werebear
3 Shambling Shell
4 Viscera Dragger
3 Springing Tiger
2 Undertaker

4 Ghastly Demise
4 Doom Blade
4 Duress
2 Raven's Crime
4 Sign in Blood

The deck uses cycling cards and cheap spells to get Threshold quickly, then beats down with gigantic guys. Recent additions are Doom Blade over Terror and Sign in Blood over Frightcrawler.

:b::g: "The Rock and His Millions of Minions"

4 Terramorphic Expanse
4 Golgari Rot Farm
6 Forest
10 Swamp

4 Essence Warden
4 Deathspore Thallid
4 Putrid Leech
4 Dreamspoiler Witches

4 Doom Blade
4 Sign in Blood
4 Sprout Swarm
4 Expunge
4 Scatter the Seeds

This deck is a modified version of a deck popular during Time Spiral / Lorwyn Standard. Basically, you use Sprout Swarm to put a lot of creatures in play, thus gaining a lot of life with Warden and getting a lot of sacrifice fodder with Thallid. If you do it on your opponent's turn, you can easily kill things off with Witches. The deck is pretty powerful in the late game, but the curve is iffy.

:w::b: Rebels

6 Swamp
8 Plains
4 Orzhov Basilica
4 Terramorphic Expanse

4 Ramosian Sergeant
4 Defiant Falcon
4 Blightspeaker
4 Rathi Trapper
4 Aven Riftwatcher
4 Amrou Seekers

4 Doom Blade
3 Oblivion Ring
3 Unmake
4 Glorious Charge

Not much to say here, really. Pretty standard Rebel deck using black for removal.

:u::b: 'Tog-less Control

4 Dimir Aqueduct
4 Terramorphic Expanse
12 Snow-Covered Island
4 Snow-Covered Swamp

4 Nightscape Familiar
3 Mulldrifter
3 Errant Ephemeron

4 Brainstorm
4 Compulsive Research
4 Gigadrowse
4 Doom Blade
2 Condescend
4 Counterspell
4 Soul Manipulation

Also pretty straightforward. Draws cards, kills things, counters things, wins on the back of a 4/4 with flying. Ephemeron was originally the 1/1 snow Shade from Coldsnap, but I didn't like tapping down that much on my turn.

Koby
08-18-2009, 05:22 PM
For the UB Togless, why do you run Brainstorm. It seems really weak to just see the top 3 cards.

I run a MBC/u list that looks more creature control heavy:

3 Dimir Aqueduct
2 Grixis Panorama
2 Island
14 Swamp
3 Terramorphic Expanse

4 Chittering Rats
3 Crypt Rats
4 Mulldrifter

3 Deep Analysis
4 Diabolic Edict
4 Distress
2 Echoing Decay
1 Grim Harvest
4 Innocent Blood
4 Probe
3 Tendrils of Corruption

The edict effects handle the pro:black bears, as they are frequently around to try to quash the black decks.

Crypt Rats is huge in fighting a bunch of decks.

Soldar
08-18-2009, 05:45 PM
If you have your heart set on using Nightscape Familiar, I think some number of Mystical Teachings and Excludes should be in that list.

I was working on a Nightscape control deck for a while, but decided to quit until Accumulated Knowledge hit the shelves on MTGO.

(nameless one)
08-18-2009, 10:42 PM
i love rebels!

and how does the rebel deck do in general? is it good or just for giggles?

Jeff Kruchkow
08-18-2009, 11:51 PM
For the rebels, why are you using Blightspeaker over Amrou Scout? Scout hits for more and is white.

Koby
08-19-2009, 12:33 AM
Blightspeaker can ping for damage. Amrou Scout can attack for 2.

Most often, the board will be stalled and Blightspeaker can break through that.

Aggro_zombies
08-19-2009, 03:05 AM
Blightspeaker can ping for damage. Amrou Scout can attack for 2.

Most often, the board will be stalled and Blightspeaker can break through that.
This. Most of the attacking creatures in the deck have some form of evasion - Seekers, Falcon, Riftwatcher - while the Scout does not. Blightspeaker is guaranteed damage, even if it's only half of what Scout would do unblocked.

The Rebel deck was made for giggles. I haven't played it in a while, so I don't know how good it still is. At the time, it was fun but not anything that could stand up to a competitive deck.

The deck I play most often is the Threshold deck, since it's a beast.

Valdez
08-19-2009, 04:27 AM
Bout the first list:

I'd rather play Mongrel and Wretched Anurid or Basking Rootwalla over Shell, Tiger and Undertaker, and have you tryed Pit Keeper out?

(nameless one)
08-19-2009, 07:56 AM
This. Most of the attacking creatures in the deck have some form of evasion - Seekers, Falcon, Riftwatcher - while the Scout does not. Blightspeaker is guaranteed damage, even if it's only half of what Scout would do unblocked.

The Rebel deck was made for giggles. I haven't played it in a while, so I don't know how good it still is. At the time, it was fun but not anything that could stand up to a competitive deck.

The deck I play most often is the Threshold deck, since it's a beast.

have you ever tried building/running a counter-rebel deck?

Aggro_zombies
08-19-2009, 10:28 AM
have you ever tried building/running a counter-rebel deck?
Not really. Dropping black cuts your options for playable Rebels way down: you can replace Blightspeaker with Amrou Scout, but there isn't a replacement for Rathi Trapper or Doom Blade, and Unmake becomes much more difficult to support. Plus, counters lose their effectiveness at controlling your opponent's plays when it takes you forever to get there with your 1/x and 2/x guys, and blue doesn't give you anything outside of counters (draw is useless because you're playing creatures that tutor for more creatures).

(nameless one)
08-19-2009, 11:58 AM
i see what you're saying.

i have most of the rebels mentioned, i'll try playtesting it

thanks again!