PDA

View Full Version : [pauper] trixx

(nameless one)
08-21-2009, 09:12 AM
No, this Trixx does not run Donate+Illusions of Grandeur combo...

Anyways,
This deck is a U/B/R deck that aims to control the board and to softlock the opponent out of the game. It was popular in MtG online apparently and I want to make a paper version of it. The beauty of paper version is we have more cards (some cards dont exist online)

The trick part of making such deck in pauper is that all the good control elements of MTG are either uncommon or rare.

Heres a decklist and some explanation:

Creatures:
4 Ravenous Rats - Discard with legs.

4 Steamcore Weird - Pauper's version of FtK. Really good in pauper.

3 Ninja of the Deep Hours - Allstar in Pauper. Gives card advantage and at the same time returns CIP creatures back to your hand. Even though its good, 4-of sometimes does not work out.

2 Izzet Chronarch - Pauper's Eternal Witness. Why not recur your spells?

2 Mulldrifter - Card Advantage that can wear boots (or wings)

2 Dimir Infiltrator - Toolbox. Never cast as a creature unless in dire need.

Spells:
4 Lightning Bolt - 1 for 3 is good enough

3 Innocent Blood - Early game board control. This deck tends to be on the slow side but theres no reason to control the early game

4 Probe - Pauper's FoF. Needs mastering to be used but its really good. Its also good to make opponents discard late game

1 Shred Memory - Toolbox and at the same time, gets rid of things your opponent might recur

1 Terminate - Whats the hype with Doom Blade? This is better. It can be transmuted as well

1 Echoing Decay - Just in case theres a token infestation going on. Can be transmuted

1 Rolling Thunder - Late game sweeper and sometimes can win you games. And yes, its a common and can be transmuted

1 Train of Thought - Late game card advantage that can be transmuted (although you dont transmute this unless theres nothing going on)

1 Death Denied - Creature recursion is good and this is one of the best in pauper. Works wonders with Dimir Infiltrator.

Mana Sources:
3 Prismatic Lens - Its a 3 color deck. We need all the help we need
2 Terramorphic Expanse - Pauper fetchland
3 Dimir Aqueduct - Pauper's Underground Sea
2 Izzet Boilerworks - Pauper's Volcanic Island
6 Island
5 Swamp
5 Mountain

If youve good positive comments or suggestions, please feel free to add.

Thanks!

Koby
08-21-2009, 12:33 PM
Peel from Reality is really good with Izzet Chronarch, Steamcore Wierd, and Mulldrifter. Granted, it's very situational and can't help you out when you're without creatures, but since the deck is all about incremental card advantage (over many many plays) this kind of card sets up that game state.

Grim Harvest is also really good in this deck too.

I'd suggest to boost up to 4 Innocent Blood and maybe even go for Diabolic Edict as a singleton (tutorable).

Nausea is a good way to deal with swarm strats, but typically this is the sux0rs against the decks that you want it against. Hurly Burly may be playable, as it can hit the flyer decks. (Don't underestimate how many weenies tokens a good Elf deck can generate.

(nameless one)
08-21-2009, 04:18 PM
Peel from Reality is really good with Izzet Chronarch, Steamcore Wierd, and Mulldrifter. Granted, it's very situational and can't help you out when you're without creatures, but since the deck is all about incremental card advantage (over many many plays) this kind of card sets up that game state.

Grim Harvest is also really good in this deck too.

I'd suggest to boost up to 4 Innocent Blood and maybe even go for Diabolic Edict as a singleton (tutorable).

Nausea is a good way to deal with swarm strats, but typically this is the sux0rs against the decks that you want it against. Hurly Burly may be playable, as it can hit the flyer decks. (Don't underestimate how many weenies tokens a good Elf deck can generate.

I love Peel from Reality. Combos out with Chronarch as well (cast it, return Chronarch and some next dude. Next turn, cast Chronarch, return Peel to hand and do the same thing over and over again!)

Grim Harvest sounds alright. I will try to playtest it.

I like Innocent Blood as well, definitely a 4x, although I do like Edict as the 4th Innocent Blood (like what you said, its tutorable)

Doesnt Nausea hit flying creature too? (all creatures). I do like the option Hurly Burly gives.

Sweet, this is why I ask for help! thanks for the suggestions ruckus! definitely doing some playtesting (if i get some time, been busy lately)

GenioDeArena
08-22-2009, 09:25 PM
I have some concerns with the mana base, for one side i really like terramorphic expanse more than just a 2 of, and for the other boilerworks and aqueducts... I dont know, ravinca karos never impressed me.

Thonking out loud here: a single Cavern harpy//wormfang drake might be interesting.

cRUMMYdUMMY
08-22-2009, 11:10 PM
This deck is called Parlor Tricks. There is already a well accepted decklist available here. http://pdcmagic.com/gatherling/deck.php?mode=view&id=9288

(nameless one)
08-22-2009, 11:16 PM
I actually saw that list. Most of my card choices are based from their list but that list is only for MODO. I'm pretty sure the paper version of that deck could do better (some cards that are printed are not available online)

cRUMMYdUMMY
08-23-2009, 05:30 AM
All the cards you listed are available on MTGO pauper. The only relevant cards missing from MTGO that are available to paper are Hymn to Tourach (uncommon online), Hide Tide (not printed), Frantic Search (not printed), Cranial Plating (banned), and Atog (no Antiquities version). Frantic Search and Hide Tide go in pauper storm. Atog and Plating in Affinity. Hymn would go to Mono-Black Control or Mostly Black Control. Otherwise, most of the best decks use commons mainly from extended.