PDA

View Full Version : BgrMadness (budget)

GenioDeArena
08-23-2009, 06:16 PM
Ive been toying with this deck for the last couple of days and Is like to hear feedback on it. My meta is VERY creature heavy And i think this might give some edge.
The decklist so far:

Land 21
1_Darigaaz Caldera
4_Tendo Ice Bridge
4_Terramorphic Expanse
7_Swamp
4_Forest
1_Mountain

Beats: 22
3_Initiates of the ebon hand
2_Putrid Imp
4_Basking Rotwalla
4_Wild Mongrel
4_Gathan Raiders
3_Gorgon Recluse
2_Roar of the Wurm

Control: 11
4_Vendetta
4_Diabolic Edict
3_Earthquake

Draw: 3
2_Gaeas Blessing
1_Skeletal Scrying

Equip: 3
3_Grafted Wargear

Explanations:
As far as the manabase goes the Tendos+Fetches offer a lot of flexibility, The Caldera is there to provide a nice trick with the Ice Bridges, and They Both CIP untapped, wich is a big plus.
Initiates are a poor mans Tomb of Yawgmoth. plus one drops are never enough.
The Vendetta Spot used to be Snuff out, but wile they both cost lifeloss, Vedetta can be manageable at times (killing utility creatures) Snuff out can be a lot more reckless on its wielder, and the deck is very mana hungry, so making four mana turn four to just kill a guy is very slow.
Earthquakes are very nice cards, cost only one colored mana and have some Deed feeling going on. Not a super card, but effective for now. Will upgrade them to Firestorm someday soon.
The idea is, with time and budget, turn this into Dawn of the dead.

Aggro_zombies
08-24-2009, 02:09 AM
The deck needs more draw. Sign in Blood, Night's Whisper, and Harmonize should all be cheap ways to refill your hand.

GenioDeArena
08-27-2009, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the advice, Ive been toying around with it and made the following changes: -2 Gaeas Blessing (potentially moved to the SB) GB is a really great way of ensuring card quality if the game get to drawn out, not the idea of this deck, but a great card overall, lousy as draw engine; and -3 Gorgon Recluse, Is groud control beater, but relies to much on the madness mechanic, and I wasnt able to constantly support the BB cost. First I added Expunge in this please, but It was just overkill.
So: +4 night`s whisper, great refiller, Sign in blood and Harmonize didnt make the cut because of the double colored cost.
And +1 Skeletal scrying, Great splashable draw, and let`s be honest, Without Squee, Anger, or Loam I dont care about my yard at all.

Goldfishing so far is promissing.

Thanks for the advise.

tsabo_tavoc
08-27-2009, 03:31 PM
There is no reason to keep red here, as black offers a ton lot creature kills.

4 Llanowar Wastes
9 Swamp
8 Forest

4 Putrid Imp
4 Wild Mongrel
1 Zombie Infestation

4 Elves of Deep Shadow
4 Basking Rootwalla
3 Brain Gorgers
4 Arrogant Wurm
3 Roar of the Wurm

4 Hymn to Tourach
3 Smother
2 Diabolic Edict
3 Putrefy

chokin
08-27-2009, 05:47 PM
Gathan Raiders is "colorless" because of morph. Big Game Hunter is a nice Goyf/Tombstalker killer too and he's actually castable if you don't have an outlet.

Here's my take on the deck:
4 Llanowar Wastes
8 Swamp
8 Forest

4 Wild Mongrel
4 Putrid Leech
4 Putrid Imp
4 Big Game Hunter
4 Arrogant Wurm
4 Basking Rootwalla

4 Smother
4 Diabolic Edict
4 Night's Whisper
4 Macabre Waltz

Macabre Waltz seems kinda cool. I'm not going to defend it if you guys think it's horrible though. It was just an idea :P

GenioDeArena
08-31-2009, 03:17 PM
As far aparently red is not liked in the deck, counting only for Earthquake, and not much else. If I ever get my hands on some Squee`s, Anger, and Firestorms Red will absolutely come back. Meanwhile Ill stick to BG aggro-rock Madness or something like it.

Thanks for the support.

tsabo_tavoc
09-01-2009, 04:18 AM
As far aparently red is not liked in the deck, counting only for Earthquake, and not much else. If I ever get my hands on some Squee`s, Anger, and Firestorms Red will absolutely come back. Meanwhile Ill stick to BG aggro-rock Madness or something like it.

Thanks for the support.

You're welcome. However, a 3 color mana base with balanced weight requires Fetchlands. Fortunately, red is not good enough to be included. Firestorms is a random discard outlet which Madness does not like. Squee and Anger are good only if 4 or 3 of your discarding outlets are Survival of the Fittest.

@chokin, Waltz is amazing, the deck may need less than 4 to keep it as real CA. Hymn provides better CA than Night's Whisper because 2 cards from a competent deck are usually better than 2 cards from this deck. Putrid Leech rocks, but I do scare BGH could end up hunting Wurms.

GenioDeArena
09-03-2009, 10:38 AM
This is the deck as is now:

outlets
4_Putrid Imp
4_Mongrel
3_Gathan Raiders

Discards thinguies
4_Basking Rotwallas
4_Roar of the Wurm

Draw
4_Sign in Blood
2_Skeletal scrying

Ground Control
4_Vendetta
4_Edict
3_Tendrils of corruption

3_Grafted Wargear

Lands
4_Terramorphic expanse
3_Barren Mor
2_Tranquil Thicket
3_Forest
9_Swamp

I feel very comfortable with the outlets, everybody attacks (I havent tested Waltz yet, but surely seems interesting), (I havent ryed Leech either, but seems to be off theme, sadly it sure has power)
the discard thinguies are preety standard (I think, wasnt playing magic during Madness decks) but Walla is superb and Roar offers flexibility as far as discarding it now and casting it later (arrogant wurm doesnt have this, but hey! it tramples and roar doesnt, actually is more of a money tag issue, remember I live in Argentina and cards arent that affordable around here).
The ground control part is mandatory, everything in my casual playgroup plays creatures, lots of them.
The draw feels very sweet, aggro zombies really opened my eyes in this area.
(Both cost loss of life Hence the tendrils creature control backup), plus drawing cards has, is and allways be sweeeeeeeeet.
The equip is the most affordable playable one I found, really makes my guys thougher and improves the clock overall.
Land are very straight forward, no tech that i can think about. Except maybe for the cycling lands and the expanses that help a fodder for the Skeletal Scryings

As far as Hymn goes, I have a plyset, but i rather put it into the SB (If I use ine) casual players tend to be a bit fanatic regarding the undiscriminative use of maindecked Couters/Discard/LD, so I rather skipp it instead of listening to a whole lot of bitching about sportmanlikehood or anything. But If I ever goe to play this for serious, Hymn will be number one absolute candidate to get MD use.

Tsabo, I agree even if I really like to play Junky decks, red is not missed at all.

Thanks folks. Ill let you know how this evolves.

GenioDeArena
09-03-2009, 10:43 AM
(sorry, I wanted to change the name of the Thread, removing the R in the deck description, but i couldnt find a way of doing it without posting a reply)

chokin
09-03-2009, 05:05 PM
I'm glad someone liked Waltz. It's a nice recovery card.

Night's Whisper > Sign in Blood mainly because of the mana requirements. I don't think making an opponent draw is the best idea.

Tendrils of Corruption is too slow. Smother and Edict are better. Vendetta is probably why you like ToC so much, to be honest.

Drop Wargear. If you want a quasi-Jitte, I'd think that Loxodon Warhammer is better. It takes a total of 6 mana, but the lifelink is awesome. Mask of Memories might be cute too. Lets you draw and provides an outlet.

If you're going to add cycle lands, add Life from the Loam. Basically each turn it can provide +3/+3 to Mongrel for 1G and your draw for the turn.

If you're scared of BGH eating Wurms or even Leeches, you can always opt not to run Wurm/Roar for other options. But I see BGH as a removal spell for a conditional instant at B or a sorcery speed removal spell for 1BB. You don't play him if only you have big dudes.

I also hated Gathan Raiders in this deck after a while. He's a one time use for a 3/3 or an occasional 5/5. If you are Hellbent all the time, you're probably playing the deck wrong (overcommitment).

Another card to consider might be Rakdos Guildmage. He's a vanilla 2/2 for BB, but midgame he provides an outlet and removal. I'd play him in place of Raiders.