PDA

View Full Version : [pauper] tortured zombies

(nameless one)
08-24-2009, 01:50 PM
Hello yall,

I love tribal decks (i run merfolk, goblin and elves for my legacy decks). Pauper is also my newfound love. I want make a deck that brings the best of both worlds. Ive been trying to break zombies for legacy but to no avail. Now Im giving zombies a chance in pauper!

I've also found out an awesome common: Tortured Existence. Its basically a poor man's Survival of the Fittest!

Anyways, heres my zombie build:

18 Swamps

4 Festering Goblin
4 Viscera Dragger
4 Twisted Abomination
4 Gempalm Polluter
4 Grave Scrabbler
4 Brain Gorgers
4 Useful Unearth Zombie

Xx Control Spells/Utility Zombies

So far, this is a rough draft.

The basic idea of the deck is to keep cycling for card advantage (landcycling isnt a problem), then return those cycling zombies back to your hand by discarding either a Madness zombie or an Unearth zombie.

With enough card advantage, you can always have your hand full of control spells such as Innocent Blood, Hymn to Tourach, Doom Blade etc.

Im planning to keep this a zombie deck (and possibly mono-black) for a pauper-tribal casual event. Although it doesnt have to be format breaking, i still want this deck to be competitive good (good enough to beat standard decks)

If you guys have any positive comments, suggestions or ideas, feel free to post.

Koby
08-24-2009, 04:15 PM
You're missing some cards:
Nantuko Husk (gogo Festering Goblin combo!)
Stinkweed Imp
Vampire Hounds (Wild Mongrel or no?)

The last two aren't Zombies, but they are really synergistic with Tortured Existence. One gives you a useful discard ability which you can use with an empty g/y, and the other fuels the g/y to get access to more goodies.

I also like Raven's Crime for any extra lands you draw (you typically don't need more than 4 in play), and with the dredge cards you can get it in the bin.

Is Dark Ritual worth it to play here? What about Lotus Petal?

(nameless one)
08-26-2009, 08:27 AM
Even though M10 nurfed that combo, I will run Nantuko Husk + Festering Goblin Synergy

On Stinkweed Imp: I like the dredge flavour but i dont want to rely to much to my graveyard because of Relic of Progenitus. I know this is contradictory to the card Im trying to build the deck but I want the deck to be reliable without Tortured Existance

Vampire Hounds/Wild Mongrel: I will be building a Rock Existence deck shortly after I finish building this deck.

I will be running Raven's Crime

Dark Ritual and Lotus Petals sounds optimal as well. Although I dont have a proper decklist, I am getting sweet ideas from you. I am still busy at the moment but when I get free time, I will be crafting this zombie deck.

Any more Ideas? Whats a good zombie to run? Maybe Barrow Ghoul?

Skeggi
08-26-2009, 08:53 AM
Tortured Existence.
I think this card is awesome with cyclers. I know it breaks your tribal efforts, but I'd run this with some Architects of Will or Monstrous Carabid.

(nameless one)
08-26-2009, 10:23 AM
i like the idea of that (actually i will be making a rock existence deck shortly after this deck... Krosan Tusker is really good)

but for now, i am making a tribal deck for a tribal pseudo-tournament

syssc9
08-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Zombie tribal is one of my favorites. I have 2 decks currently using the concept, and one uses maddness. For my maddness enablers I only use 2 Tortured Existence because of the limitation that only allows the discard of a creature. I use 4 Putrid Imp and 4 Undertakers (common in M. Masks) mostly because I am attracted to 4 Call to the Netherworld with a 0 maddness cost.

I never had any luck with Brain Gorgers - opponents always seem to counter them. I just aquired 4 Dregscape Zombies and so far they are working well.

(nameless one)
08-26-2009, 12:13 PM
never consider brain gorgers as a creature... i consider it the pauper version of fleshbag marauder

its really good to madness it, then take him back (if you have two, one in hand and one in graveyard)! paying three mana every turn to make the other dude sac a creature is always good!

the question is: can you activate madness as an instant?

cRUMMYdUMMY
08-26-2009, 03:57 PM
Yes, you can activate Madness as an instant via Tortured Existence. The reason Tortured Existence decks don't work well is due to Relic of Progenitus. It also takes a while to get out the combo so Grapeshot Storm combo can generally beat it very easily as well.

(nameless one)
08-26-2009, 09:23 PM
I see, but my playgroup right now doesn't really run both card (which I'm going to take advantage of) and the fact that we're all trying to build tribal. As long as it can beat slivers or elves, I'm good

Edit: also, I think Duress can protect me from Relic just in case. Also, Grave Peril sounds like a good Qasali Pridemage hater?

GenioDeArena
08-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Any more Ideas? Whats a good zombie to run? Maybe Barrow Ghoul?

I just hope anyone manages to break this card... Is just too good.

(nameless one)
08-31-2009, 12:04 AM
So far, the deck has been superb lategame and card advantage is really good (as long as Tortured Existence stays online/no mass graveyard removal).

Here's the list:

16 Swamps
4 Barren Moor

4 Tortured Existence

3 Gempalm Polluter
3 Twisted Abomination
3 Viscera Dragger

4 Grave Scrabbler
3 Brain Gorgers
3 Dregscape Zombie
3 Rotting Rats
3 Festering Goblin

4 Innocent Blood
4 Duress
2 Tendrils of Corruption
1 Raven's Crime

Although the deck provides tons of card advantage late game, early game has been the problem. The deck just can't keep up with speed simply because Innocent Blood isn't enough. Duress is necessary and has been really good dealing with potential threats but it can't deal with creatures. So far, Dregscape Zombie and Festering Goblins has been suboptimal, although I'll admit that I haven't used their full potential.

I was thinking of adding more cheap creature removal or mass hand disruption in place of the two.

Any suggestions?

GenioDeArena
08-31-2009, 03:13 PM
as far as board control, recurring crypt rats seem sweet. Too bad they arent zombies... But im guessing they deserve a spot by themselves. Otherwise, Ill go: Evincar justice.

(nameless one)
08-31-2009, 03:42 PM
i like the idea of both but so far, its not what i need. maybe sideboard material (against swarm decks)

Signatus
09-08-2009, 10:48 PM
nausea?

Shabbaman
09-09-2009, 04:30 AM
Although the deck provides tons of card advantage late game, early game has been the problem. The deck just can't keep up with speed simply because Innocent Blood isn't enough.

Sickening dreams. You can use a few uncommons right?

(nameless one)
09-11-2009, 12:53 PM
unfortunately, no...

pauper is all commons, i think youre confusing it with peasant (5 uncommons allowed)