PDA

View Full Version : [Deck Help]Destructive Flow variants.

Wyrath the Great
08-27-2009, 11:11 AM
Greetings everyone.

With the rumored upcoming split of the Classic format on MTGO into Legacy and Vintage, and my continued dissatisfaction with the Extended format, I've decided to try my luck in the Legacy format.

I currently have a quite decent card pool for Extended, but own almost nothing older than Onslaught, so I can't afford to go and pick just about anything up (here's looking at you FoW). I therefore decided to try my luck with a fairly fun deck while getting to know the format.

Here's the list(s) I have so far:

INSIDIOUS FLOW.

Mana (23):

1 Blood Crypt (Badlands in time)
1 Stomping Ground (Taiga in time)
1 Overgrown Tomb (Bayou in time)
2 Bloodstained Mire (upgrading to 4 when I can)
2 Wooded Foothills (see above)
7 Forests
2 Mountains
4 Swamps
3 Chrome Mox (Mox Diamond seems the obvious upgrade, but can't afford it yet)

Dorks (17):
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Great Sable Stag
4 Sakura-Tribe Elder
4 Birds of Paradise
1 Draco

Fun (21):
2 Duress
3 Thoughtseize
2 Terminate
2 Diabolic Edict
3 Destructive Flow
3 Insidious Dreams
1 Erratic Explosion
3 Sensei's Diving Top
2 Umezawa's Jitte

Cards I'm looking at for this list:

Engineered Explosives/Pernicious Deed/Crime // Punishment (aka mr. Budget):
EE could be better as I can be selective with it. On the other hand Deed is awesome. Both are a bit pricy, though.

:frown:

HATE THE FLOW.

Mana (23):

1 Blood Crypt
1 Stomping Ground
1 Overgrown Tomb
2 Bloodstained Mire
2 Wooded Foothills
5 Forests
2 Mountains
2 Swamps
4 Wasteland/Ghost Quarter
3 Chrome Mox

Dorks (18):
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Great Sable Stag
4 Dark Confidant
4 Birds of Paradise
2 Burning-Tree Shaman (will ping me a bit due to the equipment, but seems like it could really hurt some decks)

Fun (20):
3 Duress
4 Thoughtseize
4 Winter Orb
2 Terminate
3 Destructive Flow
2 Umezawa's Jitte
2 Sword of Fire and Ice

Root Maze:
Could be good here, I guess. Still, seems a bit overkill with Winter Orb around.

Thorn of Amethyst:
Goes in the board for sure, I think, but considering to try it MD as well.

Help and constructive criticism is most welcome. Particularly in regards to sideboard choices (as my knowledge of the format is still somewhat limited). Oh, and I play 61 cards as it's my homage to/mockery of mr. Chapin.

Thanks in advance to those that can be bothered to help.

EDIT:

I actually thought I was posting in Cavius' Casual and Budget Forum, so I apologize for the mistake. Will try to poke an admin and have my thread moved.

sco0ter
08-27-2009, 12:12 PM
It would be helpful if you describe your card choice (Dreams, GSS, the strange splits between Terminate/Edict and Duress/Thoughtseize, why Draco Combo?)...

Also, why are you whining about how expensive Deed is, while playing a full set of Tarmogoyfs (which each is about 3-4x the price of Deed)?

MWest52117
08-27-2009, 12:16 PM
Also, why are you whining about how expensive Deed is, while playing a full set of Tarmogoyfs (which each is about 3-4x the price of Deed)?

On Magic Online, cards like Pernicious Deed from Invasion block are actually more expensive than Tarmogoyf. At least when I last checked a few weeks ago.

iamajellydonut
08-27-2009, 12:33 PM
Both of these decks are trying to do too much at one time. You're playing tug of war with yourself. Draco combo? Really?

Burning-Tree Shaman blows. It is good against 0.00 decks. And among those 0.00 decks, yours would probably take the most damage from it. (Fetches, Wasteland, Equipment)

Great Sable Stag is a bit random.

Terravore is obvious, yet not here.

Winter Orb+Destructive Flow is a bit redundant. Ditch the Orb. Plus, you should be running a full set of Flows. It's not one of those cards that's dead in multiples (like Orb, which is a 4-of?). Plus, it works great with Chrome Mox if you don't need it.

Too much equipment is too much. In fact, any equipment seems to do no good. But really, at least get rid of the Swords.

Pulse is where? It seems like an obvious choice.

Second list
-4 * Wasteland
-4 * Great Sable Stag
-2 * Burning Tree Shaman
-2 * Sword of Fire and Ice
-4 * Winter Orb

+4 * Land
+4 * Terravore
+1 * Destructive Flow
+2 * Maelstrom Pulse
+4 * Life Gain
+1 * ???

Brushwagg
08-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Here's my old list.

Lands/Mana
4x Bayou
2x BloodStained Mire
1x Wooded Foothills
1x Windswept Heath
1x Mountain
4x Forest
5x Swamp
1x Taiga
3x Chrome Mox

Creatures
4x Sakura-Tribe Elder
4x Dark Confidant
3x Eternal Witness
4x Troll Ascetic

Discard/Board Control
3x Duress
3x Hymn to Tourach
4x Putrefy
4x Pernicious Deed
4x Destructive Flow

The Rest
2x Haunting Echoes
2x Sensei's Diving Top
2x Oversold Cemetery

SB:
2x Krosan Grip
4x Chalice of the Void
3x Jailer
4x Damnation
2x Engineered Explosives

Haven't played it in a while, but I'd proabably add in a few Wastelands and a couple of Crucibles or Loams.

iamajellydonut
08-27-2009, 12:44 PM
By the way, here's a rough sketch of what my list was. I posted it on here a bit back, and here's the list I posted. I later updated the deck itself, but I lost that when my comp shit the bed. ("Taken Out" obviously means I clearly remember taking it out. I believe Scullers were in at one point in the final draft.)

Landsx18
3 * Forest
1 * Mountain
1 * Plains
2 * Swamp
4 * Bloodstained Mire
1 * Scrubland
1 * Taiga
4 * Windswept Heath
1 * Wooded Foothills

Creaturesx26
4 * Dark Confidant
4 * Mogg Fanatic <--Taken Out
4 * Tarmogoyf
3 * Terravore
3 * Gaddock Teeg
4 * Kitchen Finks <--Taken Out
4 * Qasali Pridemage

Other Spellsx16
4 * Destructive Flow
4 * Lightning Helix
2 * Maelstrom Pulse
2 * Terminate
4 * Chrome Mox
------------------
Sideboard
4 * Vexing Shusher
4 * Darkblast
4 * Tormod's Crypt
3 * ???

Wyrath the Great
08-27-2009, 01:08 PM
That was a lot of feedback. I'll try to get around it.

It would be helpful if you describe your card choice (Dreams, GSS, the strange splits between Terminate/Edict and Duress/Thoughtseize, why Draco Combo?)...

Well, the Draco Combo was simply a gimmick. That's it. I already wrote in my initial post, that I wasn't going for the penultimate deck, but merely wanted a fun and decent entry deck to the format (in case you were wondering it is a port of an extended list), and that's also the reason you see me post in the forum for substandard decks. I do intend to get as good a list as possible for what it's worth, so if it's simply too slow/laughable for Legacy then just say so, and feel free to come with suggestions for some replacements.

Odd splits between Duress/Thoughtseize? I merely wanted a split so I wouldn't have to open every other game by taking 5 damage until I get the duals.

I don't understand why you dislike the split between Edicts/Terminates. Both can hit just about every bad boy in the format, and going all Edicts would be bad against some decks, and all Terminates would be bad due to the mana demands and not being able to hit everything (say Progenitus, Pro Black shiat). I did consider Smother over Terminates for a bit as it seems better in some situations. Input?

Whining? First of all I didn't whine one bit. Secondly, as another guy pointed out old cards like Deed/Vindicate are insanely expensive online, and like I also pointed out, I have an extensive card collection for Extended (including said Goyf).

Both of these decks are trying to do too much at one time. You're playing tug of war with yourself. Draco combo? Really?

Well, I'm not going to defend the Draco combo as explained already. A simple gimmick that can be easily removed. I simply felt the need to try something different.

Burning-Tree Shaman blows. It is good against 0.00 decks. And among those 0.00 decks, yours would probably take the most damage from it. (Fetches, Wasteland, Equipment)

Great Sable Stag is a bit random.

Terravore is obvious, yet not here.

I'll accept your advice on the Shaman. It does seem like it would hurt me more than most actually. What's wrong with the Stag? Simply a matter of better bodies around? You mention Terravore, but will he get big enough? I've considered Dark Flipalot or Endless Witness here, but another big dude would be nice, and he even has evasion.

Winter Orb+Destructive Flow is a bit redundant. Ditch the Orb. Plus, you should be running a full set of Flows. It's not one of those cards that's dead in multiples (like Orb, which is a 4-of?). Plus, it works great with Chrome Mox if you don't need it.

Sounds fair. I've just always been a bit hooked on Winter Orb, and tried to fit it in.

Too much equipment is too much. In fact, any equipment seems to do no good. But really, at least get rid of the Swords.

You seem a bit hostile towards equipment in general, but yes, Sword is fairly slow.

Pulse is where? It seems like an obvious choice.

Pulse is expensive, and that's the reason it's not in the deck. Great card, though.

Second list
-4 * Wasteland
-4 * Great Sable Stag
-2 * Burning Tree Shaman
-2 * Sword of Fire and Ice
-4 * Winter Orb

+4 * Land
+4 * Terravore
+1 * Destructive Flow
+2 * Maelstrom Pulse
+4 * Life Gain
+1 * ???

I'll try to look it over a few hundred more times, I guess.

@Brushwagg

That's a really nice list, and a lot more streamlined than what I've got. Thanks for sharing.

beastman
08-27-2009, 02:12 PM
I love you for playing the draco combo.

baghdadbob
08-27-2009, 03:14 PM
I love you for playing the draco combo.

QFT

Brushwagg
08-27-2009, 09:31 PM
Looking at my list again there should be a Volrath's Stronghold in there.