PDA

View Full Version : 3rd With Survival- SoCal August 30th at Dear MrFantazy

hungryboi
08-31-2009, 04:34 AM
Got 3rd at a 23 man tournament this weekend. First time writing a real tournament report. Here goes!

Decklist: Survival

Main Deck
7 Forest
4 Bayou
4 Wooded Foothills
3 Savannah
2 Taiga
2 Windswept Heath

4 Survival Of The Fittest
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Birds of Paradise
3 Thoughtseize
3 Cabal Therapy
4 Swords To Plowshares
2 Pernicious Deed
3 Eternal Witness
2 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Squee, Goblin Nabob
1 Genesis
1 Anger
1 Faerie Macabre
1 Flametongue Kavu
1 Qasali Pridemage
1 Wickerbough Elder
1 Shriekmaw
1 Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
1 Big Game Hunter
qty: 61

Sideboard
4 Leyline of the Void
4 Engineered Plague
3 Krosan Grip
2 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Gaddock Teeg
1 Magus of the Moon

Match 1: Against my friend playing Dragon Stompy

G1: He wins roll.
1st turn chalice
2nd turn moon
3rd turn chalice @ 2
gg

G2: I play and end up with krosan grip on his chalice and beat him up with creatures while recurring grip with Witness. BoP is savior.

G3: Same exactly as g1!!!!

Games: 1-2 Matches: 0-1

Match 2: Elfball

G1: Win Die roll. Don't remember too well what happened but he early Land Grants which makes my Cabal Therapy Xtra Juicy on Sylvan Mess. Tries to restock with Glimpse of Nature but gets no where.

G2: He rushes me with creatures and gets forestwalk. I end up killing his sybiote. Kill the forestwalker guy and establish control from there.

Games: 3-2 Matches: 1-1

Match 3: Fetchland Tendrils

G1: I try to beat him up with Goyf but goes off on me.

G2: Get a t2 teeg and the rest is history

G3: He ends up killing himself with Adnauseam. At 3 life and decides to draw 1 more. Draws the Tendrils and kills him.

Games: 5-3 Matches: 2-1

Match 4: BG Loam Control

G1: Win Die roll and rip thoughtseize from his hand. He thoughtseizes me and rips Eternal Witness. I get cabal or thoughtseize (I forgot) and get his deed (He has tombstalker and volrath's stronghold in hand). He ends up playing Stalker and I get survival out with a Big Game Hunter in hand. He soon loses.

G2: I forget what happens except they extirpate my survival. It's a long game but I lose. I tried to cast leyline of the void, it didn't do anything as the Stalker was able to beat me down.

G3: I establish control and time is called. Turn zero goes to him in which he plays nothing. Turn 1 goes to me and I have survival, goyf 4/5, and witness out which brings him down to 10. Turn 2 goes to him and he Damnations me. Turn 3 I play out the Magus of moon. Turn 4 he shows me a goyf and tombstalker which he can't cast. Turn 5 (last turn) I power out 2 more goyfs with Survival and beat him for 10. Turn five bring him exactly down to 0.

Games: 7-4 Matches: 3-1

Match 5: Merfolks

Game 1: I play and thoughtseize him and rip out standstill. Next turn I then draw a cabal and take out his 2nd standstill. I forget what I did but I think swords is usually MVP against Merfolk.

Game 2: He overruns me with 3 4/4 merfolk lords. He has relic of progenitus and a bunch of hate (threads and submerge) that game.

G3: I get goyf, deed, top, pridemage, and plague out. He threads my pridemage (huge play error by no sacing my pridemage at sensei's top in response to him threading it). I still edge out a victory at 2 life though with a 5/6 goyf and flametongue kavu.

Games: 9-5 Matches: 4-1

Cut to top 8 (seeded 2)

Match 6: Faeries

G1: Deck Craps out on me. I draw more land than spells (wayy more)

G2: Beat him down bad.

G3: I have awesome hand with swords and plague and witness. I bait him to use up his counterspells and end up getting plague on board. He grips while Relicking my graveyard away turn by turn. I get another plague out and he can't handle it.

Games 11-6 Matches: 5-1

Match 7: Fetchland Tendrils

G1: I thoughtseize turn 1 and see 2x lotus petal, 1 land, 2x mystical tutorrs, tendrils, and adnauseam. It didn't matter what I took (a mystical) because that is an absurd hand.

G2: I play and see a teeg in my hand. He goes off 1st turn and wins.

Games 11-8 Matches: 5-2

GreenOne
08-31-2009, 06:02 AM
Match 7: Fetchland Tendrils

G1: I thoughtseize turn 1 and see 2x lotus petal, 1 land, 2x mystical tutorrs, tendrils, and adnauseam. It didn't matter what I took (a mystical) because that is an absurd hand.
It's not a busted hand, and the correct choice was to take AN: he would have cast both Mysticals to get Dark Ritual and AN, making him wait 2 turns before comboing off instead of 1, allowing you to find either discard or some fast clock to reduce his chances of winning.

Anyway, grats on the finish! :smile:

Bahamuth
08-31-2009, 06:26 AM
It's not a busted hand, and the correct choice was to take AN: he would have cast both Mysticals to get Dark Ritual and AN, making him wait 2 turns before comboing off instead of 1, allowing you to find either discard or some fast clock to reduce his chances of winning.

Anyway, grats on the finish! :smile:

That is even if he has a second AdN anyway. If he doesn't, he's pretty much fucked if he doesn't find a LED to iggy-loop.

Koby
08-31-2009, 11:47 AM
Hey max, congrats on the finish. You played me round 2.

Game one, I saw an opening to stall you by killing Goyf and Birds with my Grapeshot, and that forced me into going for the beatdown. Once you got Survival out I can't keep up. My mana flood didn't help (8/11 Forests drawn woot!)

Game 2, same thing - it's called Survival Advantage for a reason :P

hungryboi
08-31-2009, 03:24 PM
The Storm guy Topdecked a Lion's Eye Diamond. I thought I should have taken out Adnauseam, but I wanted to slow his acceleration down (I had witness in hand to try to recur the discard). I agree that if he played 1 AdN, then it would be an uphill battle for him. It was too late to take the decision back though once I said mystical tutor.

@Ruckus and GreenOne, Thanks. yeah I made that stupid mistake when you Grapshot me (also not blocking your elvish archdruid which I didn't know the rules about). I guess qurion ranger can be a threat though.

Still a lot of room for improvement in my game. I feel like my deck carried me through a lot of the games.