PDA

View Full Version : [EDH] Xiahou Dun The One-Eyed

Jak
09-03-2009, 09:33 PM
So I am still on my quest to find a mono-colored EDH deck. Red didn't play out well at all. Hardly any draw and one key spell getting countered turned my deck into a pile of junk. I really felt I needed something like red with a ton of acceleration but more card draw. I could have gone Green, but I saw Xiahou Dun and fell in love. Unblockable general damage! A Recursion spell that recurs! Black! I decided to run with it. Here is what I am working with.

General - 1
Xiahou Dun, The One-Eyed

Lands - 40
32 Snow-Covered Swamp
1 Leechridden Swamp
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Cabal Coffers
1 Vesuva
1 Scrying Sheets
1 Volrath's Stronghold
1 Strip Mine
1 Wasteland

Artifacts - 14
1 Sol Ring
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Charcoal Diamond
1 Worn Powerhouse
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Staff of Domination
1 Darksteel Ingot
1 Extraplanar Lens
1 Oblivion Stone
1 Nevinyrral's Disk
1 Thran Dynamo
1 Gilded Lotus
1 Gauntlet of Power
1 Mind's Eye

Enchantments - 5
1 Phyrexian Arena
1 Necropotence
1 No Mercy
1 Polluted Bonds
1 Subversion

Instants - 6
1 Entomb
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Skeletal Scrying
1 Corpse Dance
1 Tendrils of Corruption
1 Necrologia

Sorcery - 30
1 Innocent Blood
1 Mind Twist
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Chainer's Edict
1 Night's Whisper
1 Sign in Blood
1 Mind Shatter
1 Profane Command
1 Consume Spirit
1 Drain Life
1 Cruel Tutor
1 Yawgmoth's Will
1 Beseech the Queen
1 Temporal Extortion
1 Syphon Mind
1 Ancient Craving
1 Ambition's Cost
1 Diabolic Tutor
1 Barter in Blood
1 Mutilate
1 Damnation
1 Beacon of Unrest
1 Promise of Power
1 Mind Sludge
1 Dregs of Sorrow
1 Corrupt
1 Cabal Conditioning
1 Decree of Pain
1 Overwhelming Forces
1 Plague Wind

Planeswalkers - 2
1 Liliana
1 Sorin

Creatures - 12
1 Stinkweed Imp
1 Crypt Rats
1 Maga, Traitor to Mortals
1 Magus of the Coffers
1 Helldozer
1 Dread
1 Visara the Dreadful
1 Twisted Abomination
1 Duplicant
1 Skeletal Vampire
1 Reiver Demon
1 Avatar of Woe

I got it cut down to 110 cards but I hated doing it. Some cards deserve to be in like Wound Reflection, Mirari, Enslave, Journeyer's Kite, Altar of Shadows, etc. It sucks because some of those cards are so awesome to play with. However, I still need 11 more to go.

I played with the deck a little against my Intet deck and this deck is definitely powerful. The recursion was insane and I cast Barter in Blood like 4 times. It then just steam rolled Intet with Mind Twsits and then big beaters came down.

LostButSeeking
09-03-2009, 09:54 PM
I definitely want this to be MBC of EDH. . . and win with a huge drain life effect.

Usually, people who make this kind of deck use Maga, Traitor to Mortals. Recurring drain life is good, I hear. Not to mention that he can get lethal general damage without too much trouble.

Jak
09-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Usually, people who make this kind of deck use Maga, Traitor to Mortals. Recurring drain life is good, I hear. Not to mention that he can get lethal general damage without too much trouble.

Yeah, I thought of him forst but I felt Xiahou gave me more options like controlling the board by getting back a Damnation or getting a draw spell etc. I also don't like Maga because it can be chumped. I am probably going to add Sigil of Distinction for the late game win with Xiahou.

I don't necessarily always want to just mana ramp into a Drain life. I would love to beat down with some quality creatures as well. I think Xiahou fits the deck more.

I'm going to try to just cut a ton of cards right now so hopefully I can shape up the list.

AngryTroll
09-03-2009, 11:41 PM
Wow, his Oracle text is WAY better for EDH than his printed text. His Printed Text doesn't make him all that good, but his Oracle Text means you can sac him for that critical Damnation but still have him end up in the General Zone. Pretty sweet.

Jak
09-04-2009, 05:27 AM
Wow, his Oracle text is WAY better for EDH than his printed text. His Printed Text doesn't make him all that good, but his Oracle Text means you can sac him for that critical Damnation but still have him end up in the General Zone. Pretty sweet.

I know he is ridic. Costs like 40 fucking dollars though. Once I play with this a little and trim it down I'll try to post an actual list that isn't 30 cards over.

Jak
09-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Opening post is updated with some cuts. Some very hard cuts :(.

Koby
09-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Some cards seem really weak due to their enormous cost, like the Plague Wind effects. With the recursion - Damnation and the cheaper "wraths" should be enouth.

Jak
09-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Some cards seem really weak due to their enormous cost, like the Plague Wind effects. With the recursion - Damnation and the cheaper "wraths" should be enouth.

Ugh I just really like Plague Wind as a card. The art is sweet. I do agree though and was about to cut it myself until I convinced my self it was wrong because what if I had a creature on the table. You are right though.

On the fence about Overwhelming Forces. Such a badass card but I have so much removal and draw already. Plus, I don't want to spend 50 bucks on one. Cut.

So down to 108.

Jak
09-08-2009, 12:51 AM
So I went out and built the deck. Well, most of it. Some cards I wasn't able to get because the store just didn't have them, but that was like <10. Since Xiahou is hard to grab right now, I have switched the general to Chainer, Dementia Master. With the change, some cards got cut, like Entomb, Phyrexian Reclamation, and Coffin Queen (my general does what she does already). Anyway, here is the 108 card list.

General
Chainer, Dementia Master

Lands - 40
32 Snow-Covered Swamp
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Cabal Coffers
1 Vesuva
1 Scrying Sheets
1 Volrath's Stronghold
1 Strip Mine
1 Wasteland
1 Dust Bowl

Artifacts - 14
1 Sol Ring
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Jet Medallion
1 Journeyer's Kite
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Staff of Domination
1 Darksteel Ingot
1 Extraplanar Lens
1 Oblivion Stone
1 Nevinyrral's Disk
1 Mirari
1 Gauntlet of Power
1 Mind's Eye

Enchantments - 7
1 Phyrexian Arena
1 Necropotence
1 No Mercy
1 Polluted Bonds
1 Subversion
1 Wound Reflection
1 Enslave

Instants - 4
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Skeletal Scrying
1 Tendrils of Corruption
1 Necrologia

Sorcery - 30
1 Innocent Blood
1 Mind Twist
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Chainer's Edict
1 Night's Whisper
1 Sign in Blood
1 Mind Shatter
1 Profane Command
1 Consume Spirit
1 Drain Life
1 Cruel Tutor
1 Yawgmoth's Will
1 Beseech the Queen
1 Temporal Extortion
1 Syphon Mind
1 Ancient Craving
1 Ambition's Cost
1 Diabolic Tutor
1 Barter in Blood
1 Mutilate
1 Damnation
1 Beacon of Unrest
1 Promise of Power
1 Mind Sludge
1 Dregs of Sorrow
1 Corrupt
1 Cabal Conditioning
1 Decree of Pain
1 Overwhelming Forces
1 Plague Wind

Planeswalkers - 2
1 Liliana
1 Sorin

Creatures - 10
1 Maga, Traitor to Mortals
1 Magus of the Coffers
1 Helldozer
1 Dread
1 Visara the Dreadful
1 Duplicant
1 Nightmare (more of a nostalgic card)
1 Reiver Demon
1 Avatar of Woe
1 Myojin of Night's Reach

The things I really want to add are Slaughter, Doom Blade, Slaughter Pact, Doubling Cube, Guiltfeeder, Skeletal Vampire, Helldozer, Skeleta Scrying, and Altar of Shadows. however, I still need to cut 9 cards, so it doesn't look like these favorites will be going in, but I do think I need some more instant speed removal to stop some combos and handle hasty dudes. I may have to find spots for Slaughter Pact and Slaughter at least.

I think the deck is really strong. I wish there were better answers to artifact and enchantments outside of Disk and Stone. I am also worried about the new Angel in M10 because she hoses mono colored decks. I still think this deck is fun and strong, so thoughts?

Koby
09-08-2009, 12:41 PM
The funny thing about Xiahuo Dun is that you never really want to cast him until you're about to win. It becomes a survival game until you can fire off a huge Drain Life or Corrupt, and recur the spell to land the finishing blow.

That said, it's a blast to play the black regrowth.

Jak
09-08-2009, 01:03 PM
The funny thing about Xiahuo Dun is that you never really want to cast him until you're about to win. It becomes a survival game until you can fire off a huge Drain Life or Corrupt, and recur the spell to land the finishing blow.

That said, it's a blast to play the black regrowth.

He does get pretty nutty with Corpse Dance, Phyrexian Reclamation, Coffin Queen, and Chainer, as well. Sadly he is 40 bucks and incredibly hard to find.

DrJones
09-08-2009, 02:39 PM
I know he is ridic. Costs like 40 fucking dollars though.Now you know why he is called the one-eyed, then. :wink:

Koby
09-10-2009, 03:04 AM
Xiahou Dun is broken and needs to be banned.

I went infinite with the deck involving Corpse Dance with Magus of the Coffers and a sac outlet.

THEchubbymuffin
10-06-2009, 03:04 AM
I just won like 4 games on mws due to hatred. That card on a your horsemanship bearing general can easily swing for 21.

Atwa
10-06-2009, 03:13 AM
Sadly he is 40 bucks and incredibly hard to find.

40 bucks?

Somehow I feel bad about owning this card and not playing with it now...

Jak
10-06-2009, 03:23 AM
40 bucks?

Somehow I feel bad about owning this card and not playing with it now...

You should feel bad. Give it to me. :)

keys
10-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Nezumi Graverobber and Shriekmaw are pretty good black creatures I hear.

Atwa
10-06-2009, 02:27 PM
You should feel bad. Give it to me. :)

Nope, that guy is sitting nice and and warm in my collection binder along with some 400 other Legends. But knowing this makes him the star of the collection along with my Tabernacle and foil Cradle.

Phoenix Ignition
10-08-2009, 04:39 PM
40$?

This site is expensive as hell usually, but its only 27 here... http://www.cardkingdom.com/index.php?sid=443878945&keyword=xiahou&main=catalog&catalog_id=125

Koby
10-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Dude. You're awesome. Time to build this in paper (have an online version of the deck cuz Xiahou is only... $0.15 on MTGO)

LegacyDan
10-09-2009, 10:17 PM
If you love recursion, I would suggest keeping Chainer in the deck at the very least. The dude is freaking awesome ( I used to use him in a recur.deck when i started in EDH ).

Mr.C
10-10-2009, 03:44 PM
40$?

This site is expensive as hell usually, but its only 27 here... http://www.cardkingdom.com/index.php?sid=443878945&keyword=xiahou&main=catalog&catalog_id=125

So they restocked. They were 4.95 for a while, and I bought like 8.