PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer Decks

Damnosus
09-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Hello everyone,

I tend to play a decent amount of free-for-all magic (and with the release of planchase-really fun by the way-I will likely be playing more) and while I my normal decks work in multiplayer, I was hoping to construct something more specific to a multiplayer format. I have no idea where to start though so I was wondering what thoughts you all might have: what is your favorite multiplayer deck/strategies, what strategies/decks should be avoided, etc. Any advice you can give would be appreciated.

P.S. I was thinking of making a warp world multiplayer deck, but I am not sure if that would work well or not?

XSivPSI
09-09-2009, 11:33 AM
P.S. I was thinking of making a warp world multiplayer deck, but I am not sure if that would work well or not?

If it does work well everyone will get annoyed and quit after the 3rd or 4th time you WW back to back. I had one and it was fun the first time when nobody saw it coming but after that I always got taken out first. Its hard to make a good multiplayer deck that doesn't either suck or is too good and pisses everyone off. I never did find the right balance.

paK0
09-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Well, you can harldy answear such a question.

You can build combo decks with a nice goldfish, thats fun for you, but nobody will play with you =).

Yust look at the power level that your group uses and build something among those lines, thats all advice that can be given.

Koby
09-09-2009, 01:05 PM
My experience with FFA decks is to force interactions.

My personal favorite card in FFA is Grave Pact, as it gives your opponents the choice of messing with your guys, or leaving them alone. Both of which are fine by me.

I also am a big fan of "each of your opponents does x" type cards. Innocent Blood, Syphon Mind/Soul, Breath of Malfegor, etc. The effects have to be neglible in order to not paint a super big target on your head.

Also, cards that benefit everyone remove that target too, such as Howling Mine, Rites of Flourishing, and Mana Flare. These give you the bonus to go even crazier with a silly 5 card combo.

My Johnny Combo of the week: Hissing Iguanar, Living Death, Anarchist, & Goblin Bombardment. Fast way to deal a whole metric ton of pings.

Malchar
09-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Fact or Fiction or other cards that makes piles are always fun and also a little stronger in multiplayer. Playing defense into a combo win is usually the best choice. Playing a lot of offense usually makes people team up on you. A combo win that goes off all at once is a great surprise strategy.

Damnosus
09-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Ok, so after receiving your feedback, I can at the very least write off the warp world deck: while probably really fun, the combo nature of the deck will make me too big of a target in subsequent games. I don't want to have to change decks after the first game.

My thoughts on deck construction so far: I want to play some sort of control. Aggro, unless let alone, can't really hide from opponents that well. If you make yourself a target, you are dead meat. I could go for ramp/fatties, but that doesn't always work, and it is not really my style. So control it is. That being said, I don't want to play counters. People hate counters in multiplayer (plus I find them somewhat unwieldily, unless you get the countertop combo going and you are playing opponents with low curves).

What I am left with is something like black/white control. I think these colors fit very well into multiplayer due to their mass effects. I will try posting a list soon, but I am curious what you folks think of my reasoning thus far?