PDA

View Full Version : [Budget] UG Madness

kicks_422
09-14-2009, 04:14 AM
In light of recent "activity" in the UG Madness thread, I'm posting my budget version here so that I could get feedback and ideas as well.

BUDGET UG MADNESS

4 Terramorphic Expanse
8 Forest
8 Island

4 Basking Rootwalla
4 Wild Mongrel
4 Aquamoeba
4 Waterfront Bouncer
4 Looter il-Kor
4 Arrogant Wurm
4 Wonder

4 Daze
4 Circular Logic
4 Roar of the Wurm

Sideboard

4 Krosan Grip
4 Tormod's Crypt
4 Hydroblast
3 Echoing Truth

Card choices:

4 Basking Rootwalla, Aquamoeba, Wild Mongrel, Arrogant Wurm - Standard UG Madness pieces. Yes, they are all dwarfed by Tarmogoyf, but the synergy is just downright amazing. Also, you can get like a thousand Wild Mongrels for a playset of Tarmogoyf.

4 Waterfont Bouncer - Additional madness outlet and disruption piece. Surprisingly, one of the better cards in the deck, bouncing Tarmogoyfs and Dreadnoughts and also sometimes saving your own creatures. Shines against aggro-control.

4 Wonder - The full four?! Really? Yes, really. This is really the only thing that this deck has over Thresh, even in budget form - flying monsters. Getting it into the graveyard is easy, and additional ones can be used for other effects (pump Mongrel, bounce with Bouncer, etc). Also, extras can just be pitched to Force of... Oh wait, I don't have those.

4 Daze, Circular Logic - A light countermagic package just for anything scary. The creatures usually outclass those of the opponent's (save for Dreadnoughts and Goblin hordes), so the countermagic is saved for the Humilities, Deeds, and Jittes of the format.

4 Looter il-Kor, 4 Roar of the Wurm - These are the slots in constant flux. Sometimes I have 4 Deep Analysis and/or 4 Vexing Sphinx here. What I want to have in these last 8 slots is draw, discard outlet, and beater, and I think these 4 cards are the best options.

The sideboard is just generic. Nothing fancy, though I'd want some Back to Basics probably over the Echoing Truths.

Sad thing is I still can't build this budget deck, since I'm spending on thesis right now and all my cards are being disposed of. I'd probably pick this up piece by piece after a while, but until then, my testing is limited to MWS, where it performs well. Not format-breaking well, but good enough for a budget deck. The synergy is still a powerful tool, and i just love the feeling of smashing face with a 6/6 Wurm with wings.

Citrus-God
09-14-2009, 04:36 AM
Here's an old list I dug up for Madness.

// Lands 22
4 Terramophic Expanse
10 Island
7 Forest
1 Mountain

// Creatures 20
4 Basking Rootwalla
4 Wild Mongrel
4 Aquamoeba
4 Arrogant Wurm
2 Waterfront Bouncer
2 Wonder

// Spells 18
4 Careful Study
3 Deep Analysis
3 Roar of the Wurm
4 Daze
4 Circular Logic

// Sideboard 15
1 Mountain
4 Firesprout
2 Ancient Grudge
3 Krosan Grip
2 Genesis
3 Tormod's Crypt

endijian
09-14-2009, 05:46 AM
Terramorphic Expanse is some serious Budget...
Ever thought about Seaside Citadel?
Does not thin out your deck, but produces U/G continously.

Also, Needs more land. 20 Lands with a playset of 4-Drops is, imho, quite... optimistic.
22, maybe?

kicks_422
09-14-2009, 06:07 AM
I did once try to build this UGR, even dropped the countermagic for burn. Didn't work - it's really tough to make 3-color work on budget. However, the Firespout tech is neat.

Seaside Citadel doesn't enable Daze first turn. Also, it makes me prone to Wasteland. I know 20 is too low, but it's working fine so far.