PDA

View Full Version : Purple Dragon. (Semi-Casual)

DragoFireheart
09-30-2009, 08:42 PM
This is my pet deck that I have been working on for the last year or so.

The List:

Creatures
4 Grim Lavamancer
4 Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
4 Wee Dragonauts

Other Spells
4 Accumulated Knowledge
1 Beacon of Tomorrows
4 Brainstorm
3 Dismiss
4 Electrolyze
4 Ponder
4 Remand
1 Feldon's Cane

Lands

2 Flooded Strand
9 Island
3 Mountain
1 Steam Vents
4 Terramorphic Expanse
4 Volcanic Island

Concept of the deck:

- Every non-creature spell needs to be able to cantrip due to the nature of the deck. Every land drop ensures that you can consistently drop Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind on turn 6. Once you play Niv, your entire deck turns into burn, which allows you to blow up any creature short of nonsense like Progenitus. The large number of instants/sorcery cards quickly fills your deck, which also feeds Grim Lavamancer. Since every instant/sorcery cantrips, you also quickly find Niv. Should the game drag out, you can win by simply gaining as many turns as you wish by casting Beacon of Tomorrows over and over again.

Kill conditions are:

* Wee Dragonaut beat down.

* Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind killing them with his burn abiity.

* Having the last card in your deck be Beacon of Tomorrows. Uncountered, you gain infinite turns.

Now the cards:

Remand: Excellent stall card that basically buys you a free turn when your opponent taps out for a large spell.

Brainstorm/Ponder: These cards cantrip to find other spells and quickly fill up your graveyard. Once Niv-Mizzet comes out, they turn into burn spells that you can chain into other spells for lots of damage.

Accumulated Knowledge: Another cantrip that turns into card advantage late game. Has some minor bad synergy with Grim Lavamancer in the early game, but isn't a huge issue as there normally isn't a shortage of cards in the graveyard.

Electrolyze: This fun card is great for killing lots of weenies, and when combined with Niz or Grim, can kill larger creatures as well. Killing two smaller creatures at no card disadvantage is an excellent way to control your opponent earlier on.

Dismiss: A place holder for the more powerful and versatile Cryptic Command.

Grim Lavamancer: The red wizard meshes well with this deck. All of the cards going into your graveyard will feed him to burn creatures. Early on, aggro decks need to kill him, else he'll just burn them away. Against control decks, he can shoot without having to engage in combat. He can also combine his mini-shocks with Niv-Mizzet to take down larger creatures. It's not unusual to chain cantrips and simply burn out large creatures.

For the longest time I have been looking for a home for this guy. I tried him in my Counter-Top decks, but he didn't mesh well with making my Tarmogoyfs smaller. I tried him in burn, but my lack of creatures always resulted in him being killed. For this deck, he's a perfect fit.

Wee Dragonauts: He's a secondary kill condition in the event all of your Niv-Mizzets or Grims die. He's far more dangerous than he seems: since all of your spells cantrip, it's possible to chain a large number of spells and grow his attack power to enormous amounts. In this deck, one wee can easily kill an opponent.

Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind: He's our MVP. He turns the entire deck into burn. Brainstorm turns into a Lightning Bolt that replaces itself, while late-game Accumulated Knowledge can deal 2-4 damage. Crazy, and really annoying for your opponent since they'll have to keep playing with their die every time you draw a card.

Feldon's Cane: Helps prevent us from decking.

Beacon of Tomorrows: A third kill condition. If this is the last card in your deck and your opponent doesn't stop it, you win (assuming you have creatures left). it's also nice at giving you another turn for beats.

Feel free to add any comments.

ebbitten
09-30-2009, 09:52 PM
Needs more curiosity.

In all seriousness if you're going to maindeck beacon of tommorows and feldon's cane there is no reason not to just get the instikill.

DragoFireheart
09-30-2009, 10:15 PM
Needs more curiosity.

In all seriousness if you're going to maindeck beacon of tommorows and feldon's cane there is no reason not to just get the instikill.

I'd rather use Ophidian Eye honestly. Problem is making room for it, since the deck is sorta low on creatures and having Ophidian Eye / Curiosity opens up a two-for-one against me.

Tangle.Wire
10-02-2009, 04:28 AM
I nearly play a same list, but i also added curiosity and currently trying to use Niv Mizzet with Traderouts/Loam to genereate wicked situation :D

Tha Gunslinga
10-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Wedge Curiosity in; it would be killer on a Lavamancer.

Mayk0l
05-13-2010, 09:59 AM
I'm thinking, since you're running Accumulated Knowledge, would it be worthwhile to add Intuition to the deck?

DragoFireheart
05-13-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm thinking, since you're running Accumulated Knowledge, would it be worthwhile to add Intuition to the deck?

Yes it would be since you could grab 3 AKs and then have a Ancestral Recall for 2 mana on hand.