PDA

View Full Version : [Extended] BGW Glare

KillemallCFH
10-02-2009, 09:10 AM
I started paying attention to Extended last season, and have decided to try it a bit this season. There's a good chance I'll settle on some established deck, but until then I want to have some fun and try my hand at making my own. Anyway, here's the list I've been testing out:

// Lands
2 [GP] Godless Shrine
2 [FNM] Treetop Village
1 [RAV] Vitu-Ghazi, the City-Tree
2 [RAV] Overgrown Tomb
2 [RAV] Temple Garden
1 [TE] Forest (2)
1 [TE] Swamp (2)
4 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
1 [SHM] Wooded Bastion
1 [EVE] Fetid Heath
4 [ZEN] Marsh Flats

// Creatures
4 Birds of Paradise
2 [LRW] Ajani Goldmane
4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
1 [ALA] Elspeth, Knight-Errant
4 [ZEN] Lotus Cobra

// Spells
3 [ARB] Maelstrom Pulse
3 [US] Duress
4 [MOR] Bitterblossom
4 [LRW] Thoughtseize
3 [RAV] Glare of Subdual
4 [SHM] Spectral Procession
3 [CFX] Path to Exile

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [SOK] Pithing Needle
SB: 3 [RAV] Dark Confidant
SB: 3 [TSP] Krosan Grip
SB: 3 [ARB] Zealous Persecution
SB: 3 [TE] Circle of Protection: Red

The SB was just thrown together and the manabase seems a bit off, but besides that it plays out pretty well. With a few creatures on the board (which usually isn't a problem for this deck), a resolved Glare can single-handedly win games. Even playing against MWC, where Glare is obviously not too strong, I was able to win off the back of Glare tapping his Crovaxes (Crovaces?) and handful of Sacred Mesa tokens.

Individual card explanation:

[b]Mana Base: I originally made this deck before the new fetches were spoiled, so the current manabase was just thrown together in response to Zendikar being spoiled. It definitely needs tweaking. The deck aims to have B and/or G in the first 2 turns and WWW and/or 2WW by turns 3 and 4 (hence the filter lands). I have no idea how prominent Moons (or other nonbasic hate) will be this season, but it seems a good idea to pack a couple basics.
Vitu-Ghazi, the City-Tree - I'm not sure if this is really strong enough to run. Its certainly good against control, but slow as fuck in every other matchup. As a one-of though, it's never really gotten in the way and has helped me win a few games, so I'll keep it for now.

Creatures
Birds of Paradise - Accelerates into 3/4 mana bombs? Check. Fixes mana? Check. Taps down dudes with Glare? Check. Auto 4-of.
Lotus Cobra - This slot was originally occupied by Noble Hierarchs, and I might go back to Hierarchs. Cobra does a fantastic job of setting up your turn 3, but this deck really wants to lead with a mana dude/Duresseize and be able to use its second turn to play a threat (Bitterblossom/Goyf). Cobra's manafixing is invaluable, however (moreso than Hierarch). I'm still on the fence on this one.
Tarmogoyf - He possesses many Tarmogoyf-like qualities. Thus, an auto 4-of.

Planeswalkers
Ajani - Ajani is nuts with tokens, as Standard players have know for a while. Providing some life gain against Zoo as well as giving your guys vigilance, which is amazing with Glare, makes him an auto-include.
Elspeth - Good if you plan on beating with tokens or with a single Goyf/Treetop Village. She's a bit slow against aggro, hence being a one-of. I'd fit more if I could, but Ajani gets the nod over her, and there really isn't any more room to squeeze a second one in.

Spells
Duresseize - This is the original reason why I splashed black. They ensure that, between them and Birds (and Hierarch if I play it), you will usually have a strong turn 1 play that either disrupts your opponent or accelerates you. There aren't really any matchups you don't want to see these in.
Maelstrom Pulse - All-purpose removal. Its inclusion shouldn't really come as a surprise in any Extended deck playing BG.
Path the Exile - There are a good amount of creatures that Glare can't adequately deal with (Bob, Magus, etc.); thus spot removal is needed. Also, at one mana, it is (obviously) much more manageable than Glare in the early game.
Glare of Subdual - Namesake of the deck. Not as good as Opposition, in that in can't tap down lands, but nullifying your opponent's entire board of creatures is nothing to scoff at. This card ensures that you don't die and gives you the means of winning with your abundance of little dudes.
Bitterblossom - Token producer and amazing threat on its own. Fits perfectly into the deck, so its inclusion as a 4-of shouldn't be a surprise.
Spectral Possession - I was a bit skeptical about this card at at first, but it is surprisingly good. Even at 2WW, it has an powerful effect which becomes amazing with Glare or Ajani in play.

Sideboard: I admitted at the beginning that this was a clusterfuck. Especially with no idea how the Extended meta will look like, it's hard to build a suitable sideboard.
Pithing Needle - The most generic sideboard card in existence (aside from maybe Crypt). Hits Planeswalkers, EE, and plenty of other random stuff you might encounter.
Dark Confidant - To be brought in against control, I guess. Honestly this was a last minute toss-in. I'm not sure if its needed, or if there are better options.
Krosan Grip - Again, extremely generic sideboard choice. There will certainly exist plenty of targets in any meta, so this shouldn't really require much explanation.
Zealous Persecution - Not sure how good this is. Seems really good against Fae, Elves, and any other token/tribal decks that may arise. Meh.
Circle of Protection: Red - Another last minute toss-in. I needed something against Zoo, though there's a really good chance Jitte is a much better choice.

There you have it. I haven't gotten to do too much testing yet, so if anyone wants to help me test, I'd appreciate it. Obviously this deck is viable to some extent, as any idiot can stick Goyfs, Bitterblossoms, and disruption into a deck and have some success. Whether Glare is actually good or if the idea would be better as just a generic BGW Goodstuff/Rockish deck, I don't know.