4 Wild Mongrel
2 Wonder

4 Accumulated Knowledge
4 Daze
4 Brainstorm
4 Careful Study

2 Umezawa's Jitte
2 Sword of Fire and Ice

I built this deck originally as a U/G Beats Deck. It slowly turned into the list above, abusing Lorescale Coatl and his ability as well as an almost Threshold type feel with cards like Mongoose and Werebear. After my card choice explanations i'll show which cards (after much CASUAL testing) need replacing.

Card Explanation:

River Boa: Cheap, efficent beater with islandwalk and regeneration

Werebear: Mana production, originally Birds of paradise, adding cards like Careful Study and Wild Mongrel quickly turned Birds into Bears.

Lorescale Coatl: Quite the monster, turns brainstorm into an Unstable Mutation with library manipulation.

Nimble Mongoose: Couldnt pass up this little guy, with threshold available and possible he was instantly added.

Wild Mongrel: Pitch garbage to, likes to eat Wonder.

Wonder: Feed it to the mongrel, pitch it to careful study. Either way your Coatls now fly, say Thank You.

Accumulated Knowledge: Probably the weakest slot. Not really much else to say, want to replace.

Daze: Early threat stoppers, pitch when useless to careful study or pump the mongrel.

Brainstorm: With islands in the deck and the wording saying Draw 3, this card is just way too good to pass up.

Careful Study: Draw 2, Pitch 2 for U. Good as long as you have cards worth pitching.

Umezawa's Jitte: The Swiss Army Knife of equipment.

Sword of Fire and Ice: Deal Damage, kill a potential threat, Draw a card.

Cards I wish to replace:

River Boa: Late game he is absolutely worthless to draw off a top deck, good beater against blue, but i know theres better

Accumulated Knowledge: Should this be ponder? Got a better idea? Let me know. Good when pitching 2 to careful study, weak when its turn 5 and you draw your first one.

Daze: Great Card, without Force of Will i feel its a dead draw, replace for Spell Pierce?

Please when giving advice for cards to add in dont suggest tarmogoyf, i know he should be in here but i just dont have the money to run him or the availability to borrow.

Would this be worth fine tuning for Legacy? Or merely a Casual pipe dream?

Phoenix Ignition
10-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Please when giving advice for cards to add in dont suggest tarmogoyf, i know he should be in here but i just dont have the money to run him or the availability to borrow.

Should probably go into the Casual and Budget forums then.

My comments would be to add in 4 Misty Rainforests, 3-4 other blue or green fetches since you use Brainstorm and want to abuse it's amazing card-quality generator.

Werebear isn't good enough anymore, unless you want to try Natural Order out, it probably won't be worth running.

If you really want to keep this a budget deck I've had some success with just Equipment + Regeneration guys, so throw in another jitte, another sword or two and run some Troll Ascetic.

It's just really hard to help people who can't buy the cards to make their decks as good as possible.

FluffyPinkBunnies
10-11-2009, 04:45 PM
Should probably go into the Casual and Budget forums then.

My comments would be to add in 4 Misty Rainforests, 3-4 other blue or green fetches since you use Brainstorm and want to abuse it's amazing card-quality generator.

Werebear isn't good enough anymore, unless you want to try Natural Order out, it probably won't be worth running.

If you really want to keep this a budget deck I've had some success with just Equipment + Regeneration guys, so throw in another jitte, another sword or two and run some Troll Ascetic.

It's just really hard to help people who can't buy the cards to make their decks as good as possible.

Theres thousands of Magic cards and because i say i cant afford 1 of them you say the deck isnt legacy viable? I never said I wanted it to be a budget deck, i'm not quite sure where you got that from. I'ts just a deck I've only used during casual play. Yes it needs fetches and trops. But useful help and information is always welcome. If you plan on shooting things down because no tarmogoyf, dont even bother "helping".

AngryTroll
10-11-2009, 05:22 PM
If you're running equipment, Cold-Eyed Selkie might be worth a slot. He's pretty great with Lore-Scale Coatl and Sword of Fire and Ice. I love Selkie...he just isn't quite good enough anywhere.

Careful Study seems pretty weak. It's good with Wonder, and getting Thresh is good, but you don't have a ton of cards you want to pitch to it. Ponder might be better? AK is in the same boat.

I like the solid manabase. Making opposing Stifles and Wastes worthless is always a solid plan.

Phoenix Ignition
10-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Theres thousands of Magic cards and because i say i cant afford 1 of them you say the deck isnt legacy viable? I never said I wanted it to be a budget deck, i'm not quite sure where you got that from. I'ts just a deck I've only used during casual play. Yes it needs fetches and trops. But useful help and information is always welcome. If you plan on shooting things down because no tarmogoyf, dont even bother "helping".

Hey man, cool the hell down, I gave you good, honest advice and you can ask anyone on here, if you're running an aggro-control deck with green in it, you need goyf just to keep up with other people's goyfs.

If you don't want to take the rest of my previous advice then go ahead and keep thinking I'm attacking you.