PDA

View Full Version : Pauper URw Fish

Cyrus
10-11-2009, 08:26 PM
I love to build Pauper decks, and there is a pauper legacy tourney coming soon in my city. Any ideas to improve this one? I have no idea of how the metagame will be like, and I really love playing fish.

// Lands
8 [ZEN] Island (1)
3 [ZEN] Plains (1)
5 [ZEN] Mountain (4)
4 [TSP] Terramorphic Expanse

// Creatures
2 [AT] Mogg Fanatic
2 [BOK] Mistblade Shinobi
4 [LRW] Spellstutter Sprite
4 [LRW] Mulldrifter
4 [UL] Cloud of Faeries
3 [BOK] Ninja of the Deep Hours

// Spells
3 [9E] Mana Leak
3 [PLC] Sunlance
4 [M10] Ponder
3 [TSP] Momentary Blink
4 [NE] Daze
4 [M10] Lightning Bolt

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [ALA] Relic of Progenitus
SB: 3 [ALA] Hindering Light
SB: 4 [R] Blue Elemental Blast
SB: 4 [R] Red Elemental Blast

Phoenix Ignition
10-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Looter il-kor would fit in here pretty well with the ninjitsu, and he's almost playable in normal legacy fish so I would just assume he would be pretty good here.

Nihil Credo
10-11-2009, 09:32 PM
- Frenzied Goblin over Fanatic
- Burst Lightning over Sunlance
- 4x Rune Snag over 3x Mana Leak

can be a good start.

Cyrus
10-11-2009, 10:28 PM
Frenzied Goblin should be amazing with Ninjutsu and sunlance really sucks, but maybe firebolt > burst of lightning. I'm not so sure about mana leak tho, rune snag seems really awful. I included 2 looters:

// Lands
8 [ZEN] Island (1)
3 [ZEN] Plains (1)
5 [ZEN] Mountain (4)
4 [TSP] Terramorphic Expanse

// Creatures
3 [BOK] Mistblade Shinobi
4 [LRW] Spellstutter Sprite
4 [LRW] Mulldrifter
2 [UL] Cloud of Faeries
3 [BOK] Ninja of the Deep Hours
2 [RAV] Frenzied Goblin
2 [TSP] Looter il-Kor

// Spells
4 [9E] Mana Leak
3 [M10] Ponder
3 [TSP] Momentary Blink
4 [NE] Daze
4 [M10] Lightning Bolt
2 [OD] Firebolt

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [ALA] Relic of Progenitus
SB: 3 [ALA] Hindering Light
SB: 4 [R] Blue Elemental Blast
SB: 4 [R] Red Elemental Blast

Phoenix Ignition
10-12-2009, 12:21 AM
You can use Uncommons? Frenzied Goblin is uncommon I thought.

I would just take out the 3 Momentary Blinks at this point so you can cut down to just U/R fish since mana consistency without fetches and duals seems difficult.

(nameless one)
10-12-2009, 12:48 AM
Why no Steamcore Wierd? its one of the best creatures in pauper. And why not its the goblin version: Torch Slinger

Man o War is good too....

and yes, Frenzied Goblin is uncommon, although Firefright Mage isnt

Cyrus
10-12-2009, 08:51 AM
Frenzied Goblin is an uncommon. Damn. Steamcore Weird is awesome, I`ll switch the goblins for them. And although that blink + mulldrifters/spellstutter combo is cute its not practical.

Willoe
10-12-2009, 11:16 AM
You can go UR to make your manabase a lot better. Unless it is raw control, three color decks have a hard time in Pauper.

Anyway, Mistblade Shinobi is also cute, but it's not that good. After he has connected once, they can just play a dude again to block it, since it's only 1/1. Alright, if you have 2 and a Writ of Passage they are rather awesome, but you don't. And that is a sucky thee card combo for what it does. I'd rather play Sigil of Sleep (but that card is pretty fragile).

All of the bombs you want to counter with Spellstutter Sprite has cmc3+. It _is_ cool to counter a Bolt and get a 1/1 dude, but in the late game, it is not that good unless you play Faerie Tribal. I'd play Wierds and Torch Slingers instead.

Of course, that makes the list a lot slower, but Pauper is not a very fast format. Of course, you will have some trouble against Burn, but that is the king of Pauper anyway, and noone plays it because it is so boring. I'm also not so fond of Daze. If your Faeries are going to get thrown out, so is Daze. When you're playing EtB-aggrocontrol, you don't want to get tempo advantage. You want card advantage. If you can clear his board, you will have an easy time beating him with 2/2's and 1/3's.

Oh, and play Chain Lightning if you can get it. Or Skred, but you will then have to change to snow lands (which isn't much of a problem I suppose).

To sum up what I said, this is the route I'd go:

4 Terramorphic Expanse
11 Island
7 Mountain

4 Looter Il-Kor
4 Mulldrifter
4 Steamcore Wierd
3 Ninja of the Deep Hours
3 Torch Slinger
2 Man-O'-War
2 Intimidator Initiate (speculative, but I think it will make the cut)

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Chain Lightning
4 Rune Snag

(nameless one)
10-12-2009, 08:07 PM
if youre going UR, Izzet Chronarch and Peel from Reality is a cute trick.

Willoe
10-13-2009, 07:02 AM
if youre going UR, Izzet Chronarch and Peel from Reality is a cute trick.

But rather expensive. Why not just Capsize?