PDA

View Full Version : 1st at 35 man- Faeries Albuquerque, NM

loveisgreen
10-28-2009, 04:56 AM
Finally took a break from playing ANT to sleeve this up for a 35 man tourney here in NM and I finished 1st with a record of 4-0-1.

Faeries

4x Spellstutter Sprite
4x Cloud of Faeries
2x Sower of Temptation
4x Dark Confidant

4x Bitterblossom
4x Standstill
4x Force of Will
4x Swords to Plowshares
4x Brainstorm
2x Engineered Explosives
4x Daze

4x Polluted Delta
4x Flooded Strand
4x Underground Sea
2x Tundra
4x Mutavault
1x Island
1x Swamp

Round 1: 0-0-1- MUC- Larry Trujillo
Draw with a good friend of mine because his deck wasn't sleeved and I didn't want to be a jerk about it. Plus I was hungry.

Round 2- 1-0-1 Hypergenesis- ?
Game 1- he goes off turn 2, I Daze, he scoops
Game 2- he goes off turn 2, I Daze, he scoops

Round 3- 2-0-1 B/G Loam/Crime Variant- Justin Macdonald
Game 1 he mulligans to 3 and concedes. How lucky.
Game 2 I see extirpates and some other garbage and he says he thought I was playing ANT so he sideboarded wrong. Either way, this game came down to Jitte not resolving on his side. He has Dryad Arbor untapped after casting, so I swords it, he fails to float the mana and his Jitte gets dazed out of existence. If he was a better player I would have lost for sure.

Round 4- 3-0-1 Dreadstill- Derek Umamoto
By far the closest match of the night, my best friend and I can't feasibly draw at this point, so we get comfy for a long and disgusting match.
Game 1 starts out with a Brainstorm for him and a fetch in response from me. He flushes the chaff with a fetch of his own and drops a Goyf. I attempt a Confidant, which meets a Daze, then make a Tundra and send Goyf packing with Swords. A couple turns later, nothing of note has happened, but eventually I stick a Blossom and Standstill after some Force wars. While I'm out of mana, he attempts Brainstorm number 3, and tries to stifle the Standstill trigger. I explain to him that this would trigger the effect again and ask if he wants to take it back, but he says it was his fault and lets it go, I fail to draw a force as I watch him drop a Nought and Stifle. I attempt an explosives at 1 and blow it, but he has the Trickbind, and we're off to game 2....

I bring in 3 Vendilion Clique and 3 Relic of Progenitus, and am under the assumption he will be bringing K. grips and Explosives for me in lieu of Dreadnoughts. Despite the first game, I know that he knows they aren't very good vs. Spellstutter/Explosives/Sower/StP.

I start off with a fetch for a basic swamp, he drops Island and passes. I play Tundra and try to land a Bob, and when he fails to float a blue before dazing, I happily Daze back. Unfortunately he untaps and Plows. So much for the game being easy.... I drop the Blossom, and he makes a Counterbalance on his turn. His next turn sees Goyf coming in, and I land a Vendilion Clique in his end step to strip a Force from him. On my turn I drop an explosives on two with UUWW, and leave a dork behind to chump. He swings and drops Explosives at zero. I force and he reveals force off the CB. Hate this game. Fortunately, there is a Sower waiting on top for me and immediately bring his Goyf to work for me. He stops me and shows me a Stifle. He takes another dead swing at a faerie token on his turn and passes. I draw....Sower number two! I enlist it's thieving services and when he tries to Stife again I drop the Spellstutter and wait for the Force. He drops his hand on the table, revealing the force and three lands facing lethal next turn with a Misty Rainforest on top of his deck.

I failed to take notes for game three because we had seven minutes left when it started, but I do remember it ended much the same way as game 2. Sower is just too damn good.

Round 5- 4-0-1 Cephalid Life- Tanya Kenney
She is the only other 3-0-1 and she offers a draw. I explain to her that we would be drawing into 2nd and 3rd due to the fact that there were three 9 pointers. Besides that, this is an incredible matchup for me.
Game 1 sees me on the play, and I play explosives on 1 and pass. She sighs as she plays vial and passes. I make double cloud of fae with standstill and pass, while she gets an Illusionist dazed on her turn. I use my mana to blow explosives and swing, playing yet another standstill.

"Are you serious?"

"It gets a whole lot worse...."

I reveal the two Spellstutters in my hand and she angrily scoops for game 2.

Game two was much the same, I force her turn one vial and play Relic on my turn, while she is trying to recover from a mull to 5. Two Spellstutters later the game is over.

I think Bitterblossom was definitely the weakest card in the deck overall, and Spellstutter by far the best. I would probably cut the blossoms for more Sower and possibly Smother. Not quite sure, but I will be playing this deck for a while, as I think it has real potential.

jazzykat
10-28-2009, 05:42 AM
David, you posteth! ZOMG. Congratulations I will add something constructive once I finish reading the thread.

The congratulations was more pointed towards playing a real legacy deck, than your win but it is of a sizable tournament. I think your list is interesting, however I think alot of the power of faeries is harnessed by aether vial paired with standstill. I also think you should have some Jittes in the board.

I need to talk to Derek about the power of Dreadstill. Unfortunately, he made some play mistakes that you have pointed out. The other really large one is that if he had played a land a turn I am almost sure he would have been able to hard cast his force at that point. It only makes sense to hold lands to shuffle back with BS, if you don't have something to do with them and making your plays daze proof or being able to hardcast FOW is pretty tech.

All in all, I'm very excited you posted the report. The meta is getting better. You are still playing flawlessly and hey you won! Congratulations!

loveisgreen
10-28-2009, 02:15 PM
The meta is WAAY different. We started having more competitive events at noble and a lot of people who had stopped playing a long time ago started again after the end of hurricane schulte. I was watching the matches and I saw Merfolk vs. Goblins, Replenish vs. Dragon Stompy, Dreadstill vs. MUC, a couple of breakfast decks, and one other person is playing ANT. Theres even a decent POX deck haha.

I'm going to start posting more reports on here, I feel selfish not sharing all the techy trash I've done with the 300+ sanctioned games of ANT I've had to wade through haha.

jazzykat
10-28-2009, 04:05 PM
Wow, Schulte was the problem? All along, I thought they hated losing to me.

JACO
11-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the nice report! What was your sideboard like for this event, and why did you think this would be better than ANT for the expected field?

In regards to the main deck, what do you think about the following changes?
-2 Bitterblossom
+1 Sower of Temptation
+1 Engineered Explosives or Sensei's Divining Top

The reasoning would be you really never want or need to see more than 1 Bitterblossom in the deck, but it's obviously good with Spellstutter Sprite and against a lot of random decks and situations. Also, Sower is great against a lot of things, but due to the casting cost you probably wouldn't want 4.

Does Sensei's Top have a place in here? It seems like with maybe 2 Tops (plus the Brainstorms and fetches) you could really dig for more of your situational cards more easily.

thefreakaccident
11-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Dark confidant + bitterblossom = nonbo

Seriously, it would be nice to have both, but having tested the idea extensively in the past, the lifeloss is just too much to deal with without cards to produce lifegain...

Umezawa's jitte is a potent tool in the fae, simply because when you start to suit up the bitter tokens, you begin to have an endless stream of possible wearers, as well as powerful beaters and possible lifegain... it really is a beating against agro too (lots of blockers, evasion, AND being able to kill dudes/gain life at will)...

As for cloud of faeries... it does have synergy with standstill/sprite... but the card itself is VERY lackluster, I could only see it with cards that simply benefit from a lot of faeries (mistbind/scion)... however these cards are usually a little too slow for normal metagames.

I am very happy that you did well though, its about time other people start to perform with the fae.