PDA

View Full Version : Magosi, the Waterveil + Rings of Brighthearth

Mark Sun
10-30-2009, 02:06 AM
So, I'm trying to study for an exam, and I've blanked out... probably done for the night. However, during this time, I've had this lingering want to at least make this combo work in a Casual setting. I'm on the brink of insanity! Help me brainstorm! :laugh:

Anyhow, the goal is really simple. With Rings, Magosi basically becomes a Time Vault... if you can somehow survive 2 turns where your opponent could potentially take it out. Probably not viable in Legacy, but at the very least, hilarious in Casual! Rings trigger + activated Magosi will yield infinite turns, and you'll net 1 more turn for each Rings in play.

We begin with the basic shell of the combo:

3x Magosi, the Waterveil
3x Rings of Brighthearth

Seems... really simple. In fact, that's really all you need. But you'll probably want, say, some way to protect said combo, or at least conceal it to the point where your opponent has no clue why you're giving them extra turns until you drop a Rings. The protection package for this is certainly familiar, but a little different. I'd say:

4x Force of Will
4x Teferi's Response
4x Chalice of the Void

Teferi's Response is crucial here, as it can pitch to FoW. And with so many MD land destrution (Wasteland, of course), this seems like a good idea.

All right, so how do we search for Magosi? For now, the only thing I can think of is Sylvan Scrying. I'd like to have Loam, but it kills most of your deck, and Crop Rotation is a 1, which we would like to have Chalice set on. Plus, we are running 3, so 2x of a Tutor seems enough. What about Rings? Seems a little important too. I think Tezzeret would be perfect here, as a 1 of (maybe higher). So your tutor package is pretty much:

2x Sylvan Scrying
1x Tezzeret, the Seeker

You can also dig with an additional 4x Brainstorm, and 4x Ponder. Oh, and Tezzeret can also make some dudes 5/5.

Last but not least, I think this deck can use it, is 4x Tarmogoyf. These guys will draw fire as you set up the combo, and you can probably have the guy out the first turn as a 1/2 (small, but will grow on the very next turn if you BS/Ponder).

Okay, so, this is the deck as it stands:

Lands: (26 - Mox Diamonds ftw!)
4x Misty Rainforest
4x Tropical Island
4x Wasteland
3x Magosi, the Waterveil
1x Tolaria West
1x Academy Ruins
2x Petrified Field
3x Forest
4x Island

Artifacts: (11)
4x Chalice of the Void
4x Mox Diamond
3x Rings of Brighthearth

Draw/Tutor: (11)
4x Ponder
4x Brainstorm
2x Sylvan Scrying
1x Tezzeret, the Seeker

Creatures: (4)
4x Tarmogoyf

Counters: (8)
4x Force of Will
4x Teferi's Response

Looks like a ton of fun to play. Any comments? All in fun,

--M

Phoenix Ignition
10-31-2009, 12:06 AM
Deserted Temple makes it work right away, no need to waste that turn. Also fits in there with being a land so maybe Life ftLoam would be a good idea.

santeria
10-31-2009, 12:11 AM
what exactly do you plan on setting chalice on ? why dont you try a mono blue stax shell instead ?

Mark Sun
11-02-2009, 07:03 PM
what exactly do you plan on setting chalice on ? why dont you try a mono blue stax shell instead ?

Good call. It was late :laugh:

Stax shell seems to be the way to go them. I tried to add more dig, and for some reason it completely slipped my mind that Ponder/BS are cmc1, when I had worked so hard to remove cmc1 stuff from the list (Crop Rotation, etc).

Media314r8
11-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Expedition Map is sylvan scrying for 1 + 2 activation, which would jive well with tezzeret, as he can tutor for rings and for the map to find the waterveil.

Media314r8
11-02-2009, 07:10 PM
4x Chalice of the Void

Crop Rotation is a 1, which we would like to have Chalice set on.

You can also dig with an additional 4x Brainstorm, and 4x Ponder.

Nonbo, as is my recomendation of chalice at 1 + expidition map, though teferi can still tutor for map, may be fine as a one-of tutor target for trinket mage., as he could also fetch EE for 1 to clear opposing pithing needles, chalices, colored mana in seat of the synod, or just a card to pitch to thirst for knoledge, which I think is an auto-include here.

I think this would be a better shell:

Lands: (26)
4x Wasteland
4x Ancient tomb
4x City of Traitors
4x Magosi, the Waterveil (not legendary!)
4x Seat of the synod
2x Island
2x Tolaria West
1x Academy Ruins
1x Vault of Whispers

Artifacts: (21)
4x Chalice of the Void
4x Mox Diamond
4x Rings of Brighthearth
3x Crucible of Worlds
3x Ensnaring Bridge
2x Engineered Explosives
1x Expedition Map

Draw/Tutor: (13)
4x Ancestral Visions
4x Thirst for knoledge
3x Trinket Mage
2x Tezzeret, the Seeker

Trinisphere probably deserves a slot, but fights for it with ancestral visions. I think being able to disrupt your opponent with 4 CoTV + 3 more tutorable + recursion is more important, and visions seems like just the draw power the deck needs to not run out of gas so quickly and just putz around behind a 3 sphere hoping to raw-dog combo pieces before their opponent can overcome the common stacks disruption.