PDA

View Full Version : Tezzeret Stax Premier

jurda
11-01-2009, 11:49 PM
As a preface, please bear with me. This is my first tournament report ever :smile:

On Sunday, Premier Coins in Lansing, MI held its first legacy tournament, coincidentally it's also my first (semi) competitive legacy event. Being the day after Halloween, and on short notice, only 12 people showed up to play, with about half of them playing modified standard or extended creations. The rest of the field was made up of canadian threshold, suicide black, ichorid, and Golden Grahams (LED/Auriok Salvagers combo). I ended up playing a blue stax varient

Tezzeret Stax
4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
4 Seat of the Synod
1 Academy Ruins
8 Island

3 Painter's Servant
3 Venser, Shaper Savant

4 Chrome Mox
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Trinisphere
1 Crucible of Worlds
2 Tezzeret the Seeker
4 Force of Will
4 Thirst for Knowledge
2 Fabricate
2 Echoing Truth
3 Mana Severance
2 Goblin Charbelcher
1 Grindstone

Sideboard:
2 Pithing Needle
2 Mind Harness
2 Tormod's Crypt
2 Hydroblast
2 Propaganda
2 Hurkyl's Recall
1 Stifle
1 Arcane Lab
1 Ensnaring Bridge

I've been playing around with this deck after it was suggested to me, and I'm still tinkering with it. In testing I've been using a slighly different build, but in my sleep-deprived rush to get out the door, I didn't grab my entire deck and had to play this. The sideboard was an attempt to catch anything that might come my way in an unknown metagame. After playing some EDH before hand, pairings came out, and play started.

Round 1: Adam playing LED Ichorid
This seemed to be a fairly standard LED Ichorid build. The only differance I saw was a pair of maindecked FOW for added disruption.

Game 1: I get out a turn 1 trinisphere off of a mox and ancient tomb, and stop him from any fast discard. He doesn't do too much, and on turn 4 I mana severance into a belcher activation for game.
Game 2: Ichorid does what it's supposed to do in this game. A turn 2 breakthrough after a turn 1 Putrid Imp fills his graveyard with enough to overrun me as I try to draw into some hate.
Game 3: I get out a first turn pithing needle for P.Imp, crypt, and a chalice for 0 to stop him from going crazy. Turn two I try to resolve a grindstone with a Painter's servant in play. He forces, I force back, and he forces again to empty both of our hands. He plays a breakthrough next turn, but I pop the crypt to empty his graveyard. We both take several turns drawing nothing as I beat him down with a servant and a Venser. He doesn't draw anything in time, and I win.
(1-0) (2-1-0)

Round 2: Ian playing Extended? Merfolk.
I'm not sure what kind of merfolk deck this was. It had 12 lords, cursecatcher, but no Jitte, FOW, or standstills.

Game 1: I get out a turn 1 grindstone and servant and go off on turn two. My opponent looks a little suprised.
Game 2: I resolve a turn one trinisphere, and dig for a win condition. He gets stuck on two lands, and couldn't find a third to play anything. I burn myself down to 8 with my tombs before finding a grindstone and servant and comboing out.
(2-0) (4-1-0)

Round 3: Matt playing modified Jund Aggro.
Matt plays Vintage and standard, but doesn't have a legacy deck. He ended up replacing the lands in his jund cascade deck with duals, switching in kird apes, and adding cabal therapies and pithing needles to the sideboard.
Game 1: I keep a questionable hand and get stuck on two lands. He sat next to me in the previous round, so he is able to cabal therapy away my painterstone combo pieces. Before I can assemble a secondary win condition, he beats me down with bloodbraid elves and lightning bolts.
Game 2: I keep an all-in hand and go for the win. My turn one grindstone and servant are met by a turn one pithing needle on grindstone. I dig for bounce while he burns away my creatures and beats down with putrid leeches. I lose with an echoing truth on top of my library.
(2-1) (4-3-0)

At this point one person has a 3-0 record, and four people are 2-1. I get paired up to play the only person who has gone undefeated.

Round 4: Other Matt playing Canadian Threshold
I played a test game with a dredge deck against Matt before the tournament started, so I knew what he was playing. Pretty standard tempo thresh list with spell pierces in the sideboard for the stax matchup.

Game 1: My turn 1 chalice for one is dazed, but my turn two trinisphere resolves. We trade back and forth until he gets out a goose and a goyf and burns out my side. He swings a couple of times while I watch.
Game 2: My turn one grindstone is met with a pithing needle set to stop it. He starts wasting my lands, but I get my crucible up to save my mana. I land a Tezzeret and a servant and start digging for a way to bounce his pithing needle. He lands a mongoose, but can't hit threshold. He beats me down one life at a time while all of my Vensers and Truths are countered. I finally build up Tezz to swing with a board full of artifacts, but the activation gets stifled. He wastes his own tropical island to give himself threshold and finishes me with his mongoose.
(2-2) (4-5-0)

Even with a bad record I end up in third place. The two people I lost to ended up 1st and 2nd, with threshold Matt never losing a game for the day. I get a little bit of store credit, which I turn into a sucessful booster draft.

Props:
-Dave, the owner of Premier for offering to hold regular legacy events, and for providing good prize support for a small turnout.
- All of my opponents, for being fun to play against
- Adam, for beating me in a counterspell war with an ichorid deck
-Anyone reading this, for putting up with my first report

Slops:
-Not being able to find bounce spells after an opponent got a first turn pithing needle. Whenever this happen it stuck on the board.
-Not grabbing the right cards to play leaving my house

LostButSeeking
11-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Did you get Tezzeret out all day? I play Dragon stompy, and one of the problems we have is that, without seething song, we have a very rough time getting to five mana for our big beater, arc slogger. It seems to me that Tezz would have a similar problem, except you'll NEVER hit seething song. mightn't you want to cut him for another card?

How was the trinisphere / FoW interaction? Playing dragon stompy, I couldn't fathom not playing 3sphere in a stompy/stax shell--it just wins so many games when you play it on the first turn. But 3sphere / FoW seems so bad . . .

santeria
11-02-2009, 02:43 PM
I burn myself down to 8 with my tombs before finding a grindstone and servant and comboing out.

you dont list tombs in your decklist. also, is this what you ran there or would run if you werent missing cards ?

mossivo1986
11-02-2009, 03:42 PM
yes he runs tombs and yes tezzerett is completely castable. In current lists hes a 4 of.

jurda
11-02-2009, 03:43 PM
:3:
Did you get Tezzeret out all day? I play Dragon stompy, and one of the problems we have is that, without seething song, we have a very rough time getting to five mana for our big beater, arc slogger. It seems to me that Tezz would have a similar problem, except you'll NEVER hit seething song. mightn't you want to cut him for another card?

How was the trinisphere / FoW interaction? Playing dragon stompy, I couldn't fathom not playing 3sphere in a stompy/stax shell--it just wins so many games when you play it on the first turn. But 3sphere / FoW seems so bad . . .

-I didn't need Tezzeret in the first two rounds, and didn't draw it third round, but against the threshold player I was able to cast it second or third turn and keep it on the board long enough to get 6 or 7 loyalty counters on it.
- FOWs are in to protect a turn one 3sphere or chalice. The decklist I tested with includes metalworkers, and with the 2lands and artifact sources I generally don't have a problem keeping :3: up to play it through a trinisphere, or just to hard cast it. It loses some of its power when paired with a 3sphere, but it's still useful enough that I wouldn't cut it.

you dont list tombs in your decklist. also, is this what you ran there or would run if you werent missing cards ?

Sorry, I typed up my list and then deleted the first line of it. I do run the full 2land package of 4 City of traitors and 4 Ancient Tomb.