PDA

View Full Version : Top4 Double Report - SupremeBlue

Shimi
11-02-2009, 07:26 PM
Hi people, this weekend I played 2 tornaments (saturday and sunday) in Belo Horizonte - Brazil.

The deck choice:
I used to be a fanatic Dreadstill player and get some good results from it but recently i was disapointed with it.

"Nought is awful , CB and Goyf is great, just drop the bad cards and put some good ones" by Fuzzy the magus of MTG

So i decided to leave Dreadstill and try some CB/Top list that could deal with the aggros(Merfolks , Goblins and Zoo in my meta).That guide me to the Supreme Blue( CB japanese list by Sasou) and is was INCREDIBLE AWSOME FOR ME.

Saturday:
Leave São Paulo and go for Belo Horizonte and make up the list idea and sideboard options:

Mainboard:
2 Island
2 Volcanic Island
4 Tundra
4 Tropical Island
4 Polluted Delta
4 Flooded Strand
4 Sensei's Divining Top
4 Counterbalance
3 Firespout
3 Ponder
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Force of Will
4 Daze
4 Brainstorm
2 Trygon Predator
4 Tarmogoyf
3 Rhox War Monk
1 Vedalken Shackles

Sideboard:
1 Vedalken Shackles
2 Compost
3 Krosan Grip
3 Hydroblast
2 Relic of Progenitus
2 Tormod's Crypt
2 Engineered Explosives

Round 1: My opponent was a teammate (playing ichorid) and he concedes to me because top4 gona get an invitation for the final and he alreadly had it.

Round 2: Tharso playing Goyf Slight
Game 1: He begins and start to burn out me to 1 ( 8 dmg from price of progress) , then i control the matchu with CB + Top lock but lost to a 3cc spell cause with 1 life i could not fetchland to refresh the top of deck.
Game 2: T1 Top , T2 CB protected by Daze + Goyf beats 5 times finish the game.
Game 3:Got some burns , keep FoW for Price , counter his Goyf and i play RWM then counter Fireblast targeting RWM and he gives up.

Round 3: Willian Pro-Bant

Game 1: I begin and play T2 CB which counters his T2 CB with a blind flip.Then I play Top and Goyfs.CB countered his blockers ftw.
Game 2: We I play Goyfs and he monks but then he plays Quasali and starts to beat me while i try to find a StP or some other BigGuy , when i found it he plays natural order and i couldn't race his progenitus.
Game 3: He starts beating me but i StP his threat and start beating with RWM and countering his blocks once he missed 3 land drops.When he try a order i double daze it ( sensei's top help me find enought counters and Threats) and its game.

Round 4: Henrique Enchatress
Game 1: T2 CB + Top and Goyf swings 5 times.
Game 2: I beat him to 1 but he locks me and i give up cause i need time to play game 3.
Game 3: I counter his good stuffs and beats , he plays replanish and locks me but i find EE destroy his enchatment protections and grips his others thing FTW in the last turn of the game.

Round 5: Renato Loam
Game 1: CB + Top + Stp in his goyf and he give up.
Game 2: He plays Goyfs , Relicarys and Crusher and overcome my goyf and StP.CA form loam was the key for him.
Game 3: StP his Goyf , i play one and start beating , he plays Crusher when I'm at 12 and he is at 7 , so i hit him to 1 with goyf and plays Trygon then pass, his Crusher goes to 10/10 (4 lands from the top + loam dreadge + Cycling land) but trygon finish next turn.

Round 6: Alan Goblin RBg
Game 1: he begins with vial + lackeys + MANY goblins and i can't find firespouts, he kills my blockers and game.
Game 2: I play Goyf + Goyf + RWM and become the aggro player.His goblins could not race or block my threats.
Game 3: This game was VERY LONG , firespout stabilished the table but ringleader was always bringing more gas to goblins.At the end I play Goyf and firespout ftw.He brings in Perish which made this game be so long with board sweepers from both sides.

Top8 game:
Canadian Trash Ramon
Game 1: I played around daze and stifle, get hurt by goose but CB lock + Goyf races him.
Game 2: He mulls to 4 and i keep a hand with 4 lands + 2 daze + 1 FoW, he draws 2 lands play goyf i play daze he plays force i play daze countering but he draw another goyf which i StP but i flood lands and he plays 2 goose 3/3 and i can't find EE and he submerge my blocker.
Game 3: CB alone blind flip counters goyf reveling my goyf , i play goyf but he counters , then i play monk and hit 2 times , he take control of my RWM for 4 turn, then i hits him and counters other threats , he ices RWM to gain tempo but at the end his 4 stifles in his hand were useless.

Top4 game ( once i was at Top4 i got the invitation to the final on sunday):
Alan with goblins.
I lost my notes but it was 2-1 for him.

Got the invitation and 7 zendikar boosters( opened U/R fetch , Nissa Foil and Lotus Cobra)

Sunday:

Mainboard:
2 Island
2 Volcanic Island
4 Tundra
4 Tropical Island
4 Polluted Delta
4 Flooded Strand
4 Sensei's Divining Top
4 Counterbalance
3 Firespout
3 Ponder
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Force of Will
4 Daze
4 Brainstorm
2 Trygon Predator
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Rhox War Monk

Sideboard:
1 Vedalken Shackles
2 Sower of Temptation
3 Krosan Grip
3 Hydroblast
2 Relic of Progenitus
2 Tormod's Crypt
2 Engineered Explosives

Zoo , goblins and merfolks in metagame made me change my list.Sower is there to stole some bob's , goyfs and Tombstalkers under CB protection.

The final had 16 players and 4 rounds , with cut for top8.

Lost notes and I'm to tired to write so i will just say my impressions.

Round 1: 2-0 vs Pro-Bant

Round 2: Got my teammate so we decided to ID since it is not bad for both.

Round 3: 2-1 vs goblins RB (Lebarion)
A intense matchup decided by every top deck from both, the deck has some hands that can just eat aggro but sometimes your hand can't control without firespout or 2+ goyfs or RWM in early game.

Round 4: My opponent suggested to ID so he can pass to top8 and i agree since if i ID i will not get any teammate before the final.

Top8 match Francis TempoTrash:
2-1 , RWM and playing wisely around daze and stifle was the key.Got some good luck blind CB flips.

Semifinal: Zoo
Game1:Got stomped by many burns and a fat relicary (7/7) and goyf.
Game2:Played StP in his big guys and 2 RWM which made him sac 4 mountains to 2 fireblast so he stayed at 2 lands and can't respond to CB and Goyf.
Game3:I miss readed my hand with 1 Volcanic 2 Tundra , 1 FoW and 3 RWM.
Thought one tundra was a Tropical.Since i could not find a fetch or another cantrip with Ponder(draw in T2) and just found a Fetch in T5 (with Top played in T3) , i played RWM but it was too late, 2 lavamancers burned me 6 over my 3 life gain and i conceded.

Props:
Fuzzy and his wise advice.
Mimo and ScatmanX my Teammates.
Lebarion , Nuclear and Mauro the nice guys that made this trip so funny.
Fuzzy coping my list.
Good food by fair price.

Slops:
Fuzzy coping my list BUT playing with Sowers in maindeck.
Needed to play agains Lebarion for Top8 in final.
Crazy roads and bus drivers from Belo Horizonte.

Fuzzy
11-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Props:
Fuzzy and his wise advice.
Lebarion , Nuclear and Mauro the nice guys that made this trip so funny.
Fuzzy coping my list.

Slops:
Fuzzy coping my list BUT playing with Sowers in maindeck.

I'm not funny? I'm not a nice guy? SAD PANDA FACE.

Sowers was garbage, but Trygon sucks too. This deck needs more real fatties, maybe Mystical Enforcer. He's a house :wink:

And where's that photo you take from me?

I'll post soon my report from this deck. A triple Anulatorspout Supreme Blue would be nice! :cool:

Shimi
11-02-2009, 08:49 PM
I'm not funny? I'm not a nice guy? SAD PANDA FACE.

Sowers was garbage, but Trygon sucks too. This deck needs more real fatties, maybe Mystical Enforcer. He's a house :wink:

And where's that photo you take from me?

I'll post soon my report from this deck. A triple Anulatorspout Supreme Blue would be nice! :cool:

Of course you are funny and a very nice guy , i just thought it was too obvious for anyone who ever seen any of your posts or know you.
About the photo I'm too tired to take it from my celphone so i'll edit it later.
About the real big fattie , enfocer seens worst than the SECRET WEAPON GUY.

Illissius
11-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Interestingly a few days ago I brainstormed a deck which looks almost exactly like this one. So given your success (congrats, by the way), maybe the idea wasn't a bad one. Allow me to spam it.

4 Tarmogoyf
4 Rhox War Monk
2 Rafiq of the Many

4 Brainstorm
4 Sensei's Divining Top
4 Counterbalance
4 Force of Will
4 Spell Snare

4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Firespout
3 Engineered Explosives

4 Misty Rainforest
4 Flooded Strand
3 Tropical Island
3 Tundra
2 Volcanic Island
2 Island
1 Forest
1 Plains

SB: 4 Tormod's Crypt
SB: 4 Misdirection
SB: 4 Red Elemental Blast
SB: 3 Ancient Grudge

Shimi
11-02-2009, 10:14 PM
Illie , Daze is very important in this deck , it improves 2cc spells for CB and alow you to play protected CB or Goyf , also it stops 4cc vary often and make people play slower so you can survival or you can stabilish CB + Top.

About Rafiq i don't like him since he don't saves you like Goyf or RWM and dies to simple burn or 3/3 creatures (pridemage , natcal) BUT i would like you to test and send your feedback to me or fuzzy so we can improve the "Anulator3spout deck"

Illissius
11-03-2009, 01:49 PM
About Rafiq i don't like him since he don't saves you like Goyf or RWM and dies to simple burn or 3/3 creatures (pridemage , natcal)

It's worth pointing out that the same is true of Trygon Predator, and that it's not possible to just play more Goyfs and Monks. I think the next best option if you really want another creature with high toughness might be Knight of the Reliquary along with more fetchlands.

If I ever play games with the deck I'll post about it. It's on my short list of options at present for the next online legacy tournament that comes around, whenever that is.

ScatmanX
11-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Rafiq dies to Firespout. Trygon doesen't.

TotallySweet
11-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Rafiq dies to Firespout. Trygon doesen't.
Firespout deals 3 damage to each creature without flying if :r: was spent to cast Firespout and 3 damage to each creature with flying if :g: was spent to cast it. (Do both if :r::g: was spent.)
Trygon Predator is a 2/3.
?

EDIT: For some reason I thought you were talking about firespout not killing opposing predators. Ignore me.

Illissius
11-03-2009, 04:25 PM
The trick in the first case is to attack with Rafiq first, and in the second case to not spend :g:. Very complicated.

SMR0079
11-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Congrats on your performance with a good deck

Are the Ponders necassary?

I'm trying to decide between this deck and Pro Bant Countertop. I like that Supreme runs maindeck Firespout which helps agaisnt FOLK.

The lists are very similair
+4 Natural Order/Progentius
+4 Noble Heirarch
(you can sidebaord the firespouts)

-3 Firespout
-3 Ponder
-1 land
-1 ?

Any analysis on the difference?

Shimi
11-03-2009, 04:50 PM
Congrats on your performance with a good deck

Are the Ponders necassary?

I'm trying to decide between this deck and Pro Bant Countertop. I like that Supreme runs maindeck Firespout which helps agaisnt FOLK.

The lists are very similair
+4 Natural Order/Progentius
+4 Noble Heirarch
(you can sidebaord the firespouts)

-3 Firespout
-3 Ponder
-1 land
-1 ?

Any analysis on the difference?

I got NO/Progenitus Bant twice and both times the more controlish and cantrip + firespout seems more eficient for me. NO is great agains players who can't stop it or aren't prepared for it.
It is like Daze , if you play around it you don't have to fear it.

Fuzzy just like to sideout the ponders but i think ponders are really necessary cause you dont want to play T1 brainstorm but just set up things for T2 CB or just need a suffle effect.And ponders made your T2 or T3 Goyf 3/4 which is very relevant agains bolts and early beats.

Firespout is just a wrath of god one side only for Zoo , Folk and Goblins , i can't see me cutting them for anything.

Fuzzy
11-03-2009, 04:58 PM
Fuzzy just like to sideout the ponders but i think ponders are really necessary cause you dont want to play T1 brainstorm but just set up things for T2 CB or just need a suffle effect.And ponders made your T2 or T3 Goyf 3/4 which is very relevant agains bolts and early beats.

Just an adendo, Ponder is great and I love it, but it's still is the worst card in MD. Everytime I don't know what to SB out, I cut Ponders for something else. It's like Mogg Fanatic in Joblins.

The hardest part playing this pile is Sideboarding. All cards are so great and I never know what cut. :rolleyes:

I'm trying to decide between this deck and Pro Bant Countertop.

NO -> Progenitus looks nice, but for me it's like a guy that don't know what do with your own deck so he just plays a big finisher and attacks twice. But for that, he plays bad cards like Dryad Arbor, Noble Hierarch, Natural Order and Progenitus. A Supreme Blue with 10 cards that don't do nothing by itself.

It's better than Dreadnought, but smells like shit too. Firespout, on another side, smells like toasts.

SMR0079
11-03-2009, 04:59 PM
Being able to run Firespout maindeck is the reason to run this deck IMO. If you can post a good MU vs Folk, Zoo, combo, and go 50% vs countertop then you are golden.

In regards to Natrual Order though, How do you "play around it" other than Force/Daze? I don't see any outs other than racing, and they have the same counters as you do. In fact, there are very few decks right now that have outs for Progentius short of counters and racing.

lorddotm
11-13-2009, 05:26 AM
Take that picture off, its impossible to read your report.

o13g
11-13-2009, 07:16 AM
Take that picture off, its impossible to read your report.

Seconded.

keys
11-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Seconded.

read it anyway but yeah.

gamegeek2
11-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Canadian Trash

LOL

Unless this is beyond your budget, highly recommend 4 Misty Rainforest and 1 basic Forest - it's amazing in any matchup featuring Wasteland and/or Blood Moon.

Zaresiy
11-15-2009, 06:43 AM
I tried your sunday list (albeit with a modified sb) at my local monthly legacy tournament, and suffice to say, it didn't work out nearly as well as the tempo bant I t8'ed with the previous saturday. I haven't played much cb-top before, outside of swans-thresh and dreadstill, but this seemed like a nice change from tempo blue decks I've been playing recently. While two of my matches were negligible ones that are not usually metagame factors (a loss to 5 color cascade, and a win against mono-white clerics...), the match that I lost initially was vs countertop w/recurring EE through Academy ruins. The deck wasn't as fun as I thought it would be, so I think I'll steer clear of cb-top for now.

gamegeek2
11-15-2009, 11:17 AM
I tried your sunday list (albeit with a modified sb) at my local monthly legacy tournament, and suffice to say, it didn't work out nearly as well as the tempo bant I t8'ed with the previous saturday. I haven't played much cb-top before, outside of swans-thresh and dreadstill, but this seemed like a nice change from tempo blue decks I've been playing recently. While two of my matches were negligible ones that are not usually metagame factors (a loss to 5 color cascade, and a win against mono-white clerics...), the match that I lost initially was vs countertop w/recurring EE through Academy ruins. The deck wasn't as fun as I thought it would be, so I think I'll steer clear of cb-top for now.

Well, why not try out the list that you lost to? :D

Zaresiy
11-15-2009, 09:13 PM
Well, why not try out the list that you lost to? :D

You're right, I think I will give that 5 color cascade list a try. :wink:

Shimi
11-15-2009, 10:16 PM
@Zaresiy: I'm sad about your results but some players just don't like this archtype or player better with aggro or combo decks so it is up to you which deck you gona play.
I and Fuzzy just loved this deck , and we are working in this list.We now decided to put trygons on SB and put 2 Knight of Relicary in main and try some tests.
Thx for your feedback.

Illissius
11-18-2009, 12:42 PM
rafiq sucks he dies to bolt etc.
It's worth pointing out that the same is true of Trygon Predator, and that it's not possible to just play more Goyfs and Monks. I think the next best option if you really want another creature with high toughness might be Knight of the Reliquary along with more fetchlands.

After seeing the idea in the other thread, I think the right choice for this slot might be Elspeth. She fulfills the same purpose as Rafiq -- swinging in for a lot with a War Monk or perhaps a Goyf on the turn you play her -- while being more robust, versatile, and all around impactful. On the downside, harder to cast and doesn't pitch to Force.

Shimi
11-18-2009, 01:16 PM
After seeing the idea in the other thread, I think the right choice for this slot might be Elspeth. She fulfills the same purpose as Rafiq -- swinging in for a lot with a War Monk or perhaps a Goyf on the turn you play her -- while being more robust, versatile, and all around impactful. On the downside, harder to cast and doesn't pitch to Force.

Elspeth is in my mind since it wins Goyf fights , is hard to remove from table , but not pitch to force seems very relevant in my tests and that's why I droped the idea of Reliquary , the 4cc may be good but it is painfull to keep it in the top or find it in the right moment even running alot of cantrips.
I think it just helps in control or control-aggro matchups and that's why for me it did not deserve 2 MD slots.

jeanbathez
11-19-2009, 06:43 AM
@Shimi : nice report and i like the picture with 3 golden cards :smile: But i admit i have high speed internet and so its no problem...

I also like this deck very much, and played around with it. I was thinking of testing Elspeth, but are still not sure about it..

What do you think of cutting 4 Polluted Deltas and 1 Tropical for 4 Misty Rainforests and 1 Basic Forest ?

I also thought about adding REB to the SB, what do you think ?
I still have Gaddock Teeg in my SB, in my meta he is good for Natural Order, and a lot of dredge lists here play iona which can be a huge problem...and Teeg is so good against them...

Shimi
11-19-2009, 12:40 PM
@Shimi : nice report and i like the picture with 3 golden cards :smile: But i admit i have high speed internet and so its no problem...

I also like this deck very much, and played around with it. I was thinking of testing Elspeth, but are still not sure about it..

What do you think of cutting 4 Polluted Deltas and 1 Tropical for 4 Misty Rainforests and 1 Basic Forest ?

I also thought about adding REB to the SB, what do you think ?
I still have Gaddock Teeg in my SB, in my meta he is good for Natural Order, and a lot of dredge lists here play iona which can be a huge problem...and Teeg is so good against them...

That Giant picture is just a joke to make fuzzy mad.
I'm just testing and discussing Elspeth and soon will post some results( I'm not sure about it too).

About changing Delta to Misty it think it is not really necessary since you play many fetchs and cantrips you can find the lands you need even if they waste your tropical, the reason i don't like basic forest is that unless you have 2 other blue mana sources it is really bad.

2 Gaddock Teegs were in my SB but i drop them because there is no landstill in my meta and even Pro-Bant is rare(and i like to play the MU so i dont think it needs help , but again it is a metagame choice).

The REB , umm ,you play only 2 Volcanics so it is not good to fetch it until you realy need to cast a red spell(avoid wastelands agains Trash and Goblins and merfolks), i'm not saying that the deck does not suport but you will get all your volcanics wasted or locked(rishada port in goblins) and see some dead cards, futhermore i think BeB > ReB because moon effects so i can see how to put in SB some 2 or 3 ReB.But just test it for yourself and please give your feedback so we can keep discussing this CB list here.

Fuzzy
11-20-2009, 06:28 PM
That Giant picture is just a joke to make fuzzy mad.

I liek my pic here. Makes your report much more beauty.

o13g
11-23-2009, 07:11 AM
I liek my pic here. Makes your report much more beauty.

The problem with the pic is not its kb size but its width, as it spreads the post beyond reason and screws formatting, making the report unreadable.