PDA

View Full Version : Tournament Report from Dream Wizards 10 proxy Legacy 11/7

Zaresiy
11-09-2009, 01:47 AM
This is my second top 8 posted on this site (well soon to be posted, after the vestal tournament that is), the first being when i played a rock deck but was knocked out in the t8 against Dave Price. I lent out 3 decks to friends (merfolk goyf, tarmo-sligh, and solidarity), as well as lending out cards to 2 people who needed them for their decks. This turned out to be beneficial to the t8 as those people were all necessary for the increased level of prizes (as the cutoff was 24 people, and we just reached 24).

This is the list I played, it's very similar to the list on Doug Linn's article: http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/legacy/18235_Legacys_Allure_Exploring_Tempo_Bant.html I switched the Vendillion Cliques with Rhox War Monks, and they were very helpful in some matchups, but a liability in my final one. Also, the sideboard was revamped.

Main Deck:
1 Forest
1 Island
1 Plains
4 Force of Will
4 Qasali Pridemage
2 Knight of the Reliquary
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Ponder
4 Brainstorm
3 Rhox War Monk
4 Daze
2 Flooded Strand
2 Windswept Heath
4 Wasteland
4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Tropical Island
3 Tundra
2 Misty Rainforest
4 Spell Pierce

Sideboard:
2 Gaddock Teeg
1 Stifle
3 Hydroblasts
1 Blue Elemental Blast
2 Krosan Grip
4 Submerge
2 Path to Exile

Round 1 Vs my friend Donald playing my Tarmo-Sligh deck
This is my deaf friend Donald who usually plays standard but was interested in trying out legacy (he ended up going 3-2 in his first tournament) playing my freshly tarmo-fied sligh (before it was running stuff like ball lightning, keldon marauders, and rift bolts and no goyf) I was thinking this was going to be a tough matchup, as in my experience, blue (without countertop) usually has trouble with burn. My first hand looked really bad, lots of counterspells, and 1 land, a wasteland. After mulliganing that hand away, I got a 4 land 2 rhox war monk hand, so I was in a great position to win, and did so thanks to huge creatures, and life gain. In the second game neither of us drew out blasts, and he put in pyrostatic pillar, which wouldn't have helped him. In that game I drew 3 lands, 1 Noble Hierarch, and 3 tarmogoyfs, so both games I was just really lucky on my draws.

Sideboarding
-4 daze (something that can be cut second game if you're on the draw, when it isn't nearly as effective, though if I win the first, but lose the second I'll put it back in, and take out spell pierce instead)
+3 hydroblast
+1 blue elemental blast

2-0 (1-0)

Round 2 Vs Dark Depths Combo
In the first game my opponent opens up with Tolaria West tapped, and I thought he was perhaps playing landstill, but after that he proceeds to play swamps and islands after agonizing about his hand, and after beating him up with noble hierarch, and qasali pridemage, then another pridemage. Eventually he plays 2 hexmages one turn after another simply to chump block. Eventually he concedes after i have lethal on the board. I made a big new player mistake, I kept a 0-land hand on the draw after going to 6: Ponder, Brainstorm, Force of Will, Force of Will, Spell Pierce, Daze, (knowing when to mulligan is a big weakness of mine) so if I draw a blue source I can start finding stuff with the ponder and brainstorm, and I have tons of countermagic to stay alive until then. He's not sure whether to keep his hand either, but keeps, second turn he plays a vampire hexmage, which I force. Third turn he plays a vampire hexmage, which I force. Then on the fourth turn, he plays another Vampire Hexmage and follows it up with dark depths. This sadly is game over as I still haven't drawn a land... Onto the 3rd game, this time it is more even, but I am able to wasteland a crucial underground sea, as well as 2 dark depths and that was enough to keep him from geting his combo together. During this time I am able to get out a hierarch to start the attacks and multiple goyfs join the party to finish the job.

Sideboarding
-3 daze (switched to spell pierce for game 3)
+1 stifle
+2 path to exile

2-1 (2-0)

Round 3 Vs Dave Price playing Bant Land-Based Aggro http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15244
Dave Price mentions what is on the line in the match, which I wasn't thinking about, whoever wins this match would be able to draw into the t8, going 3-0-2. I was a bit worried about this match going into it b/c of my lack of graveyard hate for him. I was able to win largely through luck. In the first game I have 3x daze and each one hits managing to take out key spells. In the second I was able to remove most of his threats (to be fair he removes most of mine) in the end he makes a mistake and loses his knight of the reliquary as he can't buff it up enough to reach the level of my 12/12 knight (that had been exalted once). After which he has sufficiently cut out his own mana enough that he can't get anything done, and concedes.

Sideboarding
-2 Spell Pierce (he had so little in the way of non-creatures, and daze was really helpful in the previous so I kept it in)
+2 Path to Exile (he only has 12 threats, so have 6 removal puts me in a good situation)

2-0 (3-0)

Following this match I drew the next 2 to assure my top 8 status. Once in the top 8, everyone chooses to forgo the regular prize structure, that totally screws over 5-8 (getting 3 packs for the $16 entry fee... that was upgraded to $20 store credit). Instead the value of the prizes was split among the participants, with each top 8 player getting $45 in store credit.

The top 8 decided to play it out to determine placement in the t8.

Quarterfinals

I win my first match against merfolk with what seems like an endless stream of big creatures, exalted, and lifelink to put the final nail in the coffin.
No Sideboarding

Semifinals

I play against James Shi playing entomb-hulk, and win the first b/c I have a counter to stop his combo. The second two I keep awkward hands as I really don't feel in the mood to play, and I have already gotten my prize, so I lose the next two (once with a 1 tundra, 2 wasteland hand, and green creatures, and once when I don't have enough disruption to stop his combo).

Wrapup

So I ended up in 3rd/4th and he ended up in 1st/2nd (as his opponent had to leave), and I had a lot of fun. I made a last minute switch to this from the canadian thresh I had been testing with, and fully expected to lose most of my matches, but thanks to the similarity to other decks I've played and/or my play skill (possibly, though probably not) I did well with it. I hope you enjoyed reading this tourney report, and if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Michael Keller
11-09-2009, 10:50 AM
I win my first match against merfolk with what seems like an endless stream of big creatures, exalted, and lifelink to put the final nail in the coffin.

Well to be fair, I was severely mana-screwed both games one and two and mulliganed to five on the play game two without a Vial either game.

Nice work, at any rate.

Zaresiy
11-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Yeah, neither of us sideboarded, and you were quite mana-screwed both games. Though it wasn't a good test of the matchup, I had done a lot of testing vs merfolk (against my friend Dan's mono-blue, as well as James' build w/puresight merrow and patron wizard) and I felt confident playing against it even without the burn of ugr thresh.

Tacosnape
11-09-2009, 12:18 PM
How often was it a problem running Wasteland and Rhox War Monk together?

Zaresiy
11-09-2009, 12:33 PM
I was wondering that myself, but it wasn't nearly the problem I thought it would be, as a result of the noble hierarchs. This is in addition to fetching basics instead of duals in some of the matches (b/c of price of progress, or wasteland). Since I was coming from playing ugr thresh, I was worried the lack of stifles would make the denial from wasteland irrelevant. What I found wasteland doing more often than not was just slowing the opponent down, rather than keeping them low on lands consistently. It worked out well, with noble hierarch allowing me the mana and colors I need, despite the use of wasteland (similar to vial in gobs/merfolk). The only time mana color came up was that bad hand in the semifinals.

Btw, I like your sig, I lent out my solidarity to a friend who thought there would be a lot of zoo (as it turns out there was none, with only my lent out tarmo-sligh being similar).

beastman
11-09-2009, 01:18 PM
I managed to beat the solidarity player while playing elf survival, by killing him on turn 4 twice. It was awesome.

Zaresiy
11-09-2009, 01:25 PM
Wow, were you playing RGBSA or Elf Survival?

beastman
11-09-2009, 01:27 PM
I managed to beat the solidarity player while playing elf survival, by killing him on turn 4 twice. It was awesome.

Zaresiy
11-09-2009, 01:30 PM
lol, I totally misread that post. Congrats on the fast wins, I saw part of one of those games, and it seemed like he ran out of gas.

dyzzy
11-09-2009, 01:37 PM
I was the Solidarity player, one time he beat me because I was stuck on 2 lands. The other time I fizzled out, partly because I forgot I played 2 High Tides and was tapping for 2 instead of 3 (facepalm) and partly because my last Meditate gave me 3 lands and a Cryptic Command... which then gave me another land.

Hollywood was borrowing my deck (Merfolk). If anyone cares, here is the list:

Lands (20):
11x Island
1x Minamo, School at Water's Edge
4x Mutavault
4x Wasteland

Creatures (20):
4x Cursecatcher
4x Silvergill Adept
4x Lord of Atlantis
4x Merrow Reejerey
2x Merfolk Sovereign
2x Wake Thrasher

Spells (20):
4x Aether Vial
3x Stifle
4x Daze
3x Standstill
2x Echoing Truth
4x Force of Will

SB:
3x Pithing Needle
3x Relic of Progenitus
2x Mind Harness
2x Blue Elemental Blast
2x Hydroblast
3x Back to Basics

jeanbathez
11-10-2009, 03:02 AM
@ Zaresiy : Gratulation !!!
I also was thinking of taking this deck to a tournament. But wasn't sure of some points.

What do you think, can stifle be played instead of Spell Pierce or as a split 2/2 ?

How worked the Knights for you ?

I also wanted to add war monks, but i wanted to cut the knights and 1 clique ? I like exalted clique beats in the air ;-)

Zaresiy
11-10-2009, 04:10 PM
From what I ran into at the tournament, it seems like stifle could be run instead of the spell pierce (against hexmage I would've been happier with either spell snare or stifle, the pierce wasn't very helpful overall). In some of the matches, particularly ones where some combo element was at play, I was holding back on 3-drops, either knights or rhox war monks. The reason for that was to keep mana up for spell pierce and because I could get the job done with the help of exalted. On the other hand though, the 3-drops were very helpful against tarmosligh, as well as against merfolk and Bant land-based aggro. I switched out the cliques as I worried they would be picked apart by zoo (in the philly 5k I played against zoo 3 times) but this time, there was no zoo. I think I would've kept the deck similar to the list I saw online, maybe switching the pierces for something else.

gamegeek2
11-10-2009, 09:00 PM
I don't play Bant, but I would play Spell Snare over Spell Pierce, mainly because Snare stops Goyf and Bob, while still hitting stuff like Counterbalance and Hymn.

I would also play more fetches - they work well with KotR and set up your basics. Some number of Stifle would be a good idea as well.

Zaresiy
11-10-2009, 11:46 PM
I agree with you completely about the spell snare (those were the same kind of 2-drops I was worried about countering) but at the same time being able to stop a first turn top/vial, as well as being able to stop force/fireblast is what convinced me to try it (I think it was a better choice now that I think about it as some people were using misdirection as well, which could mean I swords my own threats).

In the past I ran 7 fetches in canadian thresh (since I only have 2x volcanic island) but cut it down to 6 after having all my trops or all my volcs wasted leaving me out of a color (wishing I had another one to find) and I found it worked out find for the shuffling I wanted for my brainstorms. This isn't the same problem here, but I like having the extra fuel for fetching wastelands, while still having lands to operate. If I was running sensei's divining top, I would probably run 8 fetches, but 6 seems just right.

gamegeek2
11-10-2009, 11:57 PM
Misdirection seems like a strong choice in a creature-oriented deck like the one Gerheart was playing, and your deck as well.

The thing is, Canadian Threshold doesn't have basics to find - this deck does, and basics are immune to Wasteland.

Zaresiy
11-11-2009, 12:33 AM
Yeah, like I said, that isn't the same problem here, what I want here is just more physical lands (as opposed to fetches) to fetch wastelands with. The reasoning being, when I am losing my lands to find wastes, I don't want my chance to draw lands to go down too much, and I have 5 3-drop threats to cast (as opposed to canadian where I can operate on 2 lands). While noble hierarch helps me rush them out, it does occasionally soak up removal, so it's not the most reliable mana source.