PDA

View Full Version : Faeries Takes home the gold!

thefreakaccident
11-14-2009, 03:18 AM
Its nice to actually be writing a report for this game again. I got first last night at a 14 man tournament that I ran, participants included friends and friends of friends who were willing to put in 5 dollars in prize money to buy booster packs (winner and runner up would get the packs 60/40).

There were proxies allowed, and there were a few people who actually had entirely proxied decks (this was not sanctioned, but the decks and players were competitive)…

The metagame was (approximately… some of the numbers may be off)
1 merfolk
2 goblins
3 elves
1 Faeries (me)
2 counter-top
1 survival
1 ichorid
1 funkbrew
2 random T2 decks

This is the list I took into battle:

Lands//20
3 mutavault
3 volcanic island
3 underground sea
1 badlands
3 polluted delta
3 scalding tarn
4 island

creatures//13
4 scion of oona
4 spellstutter sprite
3 vendilion clique
2 sower of temptation

spells//27
4 brainstorm
4 ponder
2 fact or fiction

4 force of will
3 spell snare

4 bitterblossom
3 firespout
3 repeal

sideboard//
4 relic of progenitus
1 firespout
2 red elemental blast
3 extirpate
2 perish
3 engineered explosives

The list was designed with an agro metagame in mind, but also had tools for control and combo.

I took very good notes throughout the tournament, as I was looking forward to writing a detailed report.

My first round opponent was Thomas playing RB goblins:

My hand is: fetchland, island, firespout, ponder, ponder, force of will, scion of oona

I win the roll and start with island -> ponder, seeing bitterblossom, land, land… I draw the blossom… He starts off with vial, which promptly sees my FoW removing the extra ponder. I then begin to play bitterblossom on my turn, and he plays a piledriver on his turn… His next turn he plays a matron for a ringleader and passes, at his EOT I play my scion… I draw a dead spell snare, attack for 3 and pass with one token left to block… He plays the ringleader getting two goblins and attacks with all… I take it and go to 10, my turn I fall to 9 and attack with everything leaving 1 totken left for blocks, play a drawn muavault and sweep his board with spout… I have him on a two turn clock and he concedes.

Game 2 I board out a snare for a fourth spout…

He starts with lackey go… My turn I play a land ponder, go… I have the spout, but no bitterblossom or any real action, so I decide to slow roll the spout… he plays frogtosser bannerett, and attacks with lackey to make a cheiftan… My second turn is slightly less eventful with a turn two brainstorm/fetch… Now I have a FoW, but I may be dead on my next turn… he then plays a second chieftain and makes a siege-gang off of his lackey, he has two cards in hand, but after his attack, I’m at low life, so my turn I decide I cannot wait any longer to use it and spout his guys away… he tries for a matron (now at one card in hand), but I FoW… I then proceed to play a FoF at his end step which hits gold In 2 scions, 1 sprite, 1 land, and a sower of temptation.. he gives me the split of: scion, scion, land, or sprite sower… I look at my hand to see a vendilion clique… I decide to roll with the scions. My draw is a mutavault, which I play and pass… after his draw I play the clique to see he drew a ringleader which goes to the bottom and he apparently draws a vial which he plays. My turn I play my fifth land and play the scion to attack for 4… he doesn’t do anything on his turn and I kill him on mine.

Record: 1-0-0

Round 2: Elves

Game 1 I mulligan to 6 and have a decent hand of: 3 land, bitterblossom, scion, ponder

I win the die roll and start with fetch, ponder, go (I knew he was playing elves)… he of coarse starts with a mana elf, and I promptly make a turn two bitterblossom…. His turn he makes a priest of titania and another 1 mana elf… I drew the spout, but I didn’t have the red mana, so I decide to stall him with a bunch of 2/2s and a scion… After about two turns of him building a ridiculous board position, I draw the fetch and we quickly go to game 2.

I board out snares in favor of 1 more spout and 2 explosives… you really don’t want to board out the scions, as they allow you key battle tricks, as well as making an army of 2/2 with blossom which is just sooooo good against agro its not even funny…

Game 2, he has the same opening two turns, while I open with ponder on my turn 1, and brainstorm/fetch on my turn two… my hand was perfectly sculpted being:
1 spout, 1 explosives, 2 sprite, 1 force of will, 1 sower of temptation, land…

I started with the spout to clear his quickly created 5 dudes… he then proceded to play a imperious perfect, which I sowered… He didn’t resolve another spell that game other than 1/1 mana elves.

Record: 2-0-0

Round 3: Counter-top (why do I get the hard bracket :cry: )

Anyways, he’s literally playing my exact list, so I try to play really careful… but his draw was simply amazing… He was on the play, with a ponder, I followed suit, he then plays a turn two goyf… My turn I think about it and decide to try for a turn two bitter with FoW backup (I would have been able to win had it stayed on the board)… his turn, he plays a pridemage, I fow, he dazes with one of his tapped lands, he attacks with goyf, exalted trigger on the stack, he sacrifices his pridemage to kill my blossom and hit me for 7!!!... I play a scion on my turn and get smashed for another 6, and im at 6… he plays a second mainphase jitte and I scoop… oh well.

For game 2 I cut the spouts for explosives… this time im on the play… and he mulliganed to 5…

Anyways, I set up two scions and wait to play my blossoms/sprites until he clogs the 2cc slot up for explosives, once he sees im more than capable of winning a counterwar, he concedes after I showed him my busted hand of bitterblossom/double sprite (of coarse after sweeping a balance AND goyf)…

Game 3 went back and forth all the way, he drew 3 pridemages to kill all 3 bitterblossoms I drew!

I counter his balances, and bounce his goyfs to annoy him… A late game FoF led to a huge counterwar that I ended up losing (somehow), but it was at his endstep, and I had another for my turn, which pretty much put me too far ahead in cards for him to have any hope… I set up double scion and a sower to steal his goyf FTW… It may seem like a blow out at the end there, but that was only 3 turns after a VERY long game of attrition.

Record: 3-0-0

Round 4: Ichorid played by Michael

We talk about splitting, but he is confident he will win, so we have to play it out.

Game 1, I have a mediocre hand, but I kept it because I had the spout… I stall him out a little while, but the MD just isn’t able to handle double ichorid every turn and two bridge from below triggers every turn… he just simply overran me over time.

I board:
-3 spell snares
-3 repeal
-2 sower of temptation
-2 fact or fiction
-1 bitterblossom

+4 relic of progenitus
+1 firespout
+3 engineered explosives
+3 extirpate

Game 2 I get a hand including both firespout and relic of progenitus, and I’m on the play… Needless to say I win it pretty handily.

Game 3 I mulligan into explosives and spout and a few cantrips… I stall after he makes several dudes by making a sprite as a blocker to stall him… eventually I get an extirpate for his ichorids, and then I decide to activate my mutavult the next turn and spout it and all his dudes away… this leaves him with 1 bridge, and a couple of moebas to make things to dread return… I had the FoW, and after a long while I kill him with sprites and a scion.
I told him he should have split… my board was just too anti-ichorid.

So… I guess I beat the odds against a few problem MUs, and I ended up getting first.

We all had a good time, and are planning on trying to make the Thursday night magic thing at my house a weekly thing (We played on picknick tables in my backyard… whatever works).

Hopefully I will have an opportunity to write another report very soon.

Props:
-Firespout… definitely my MVP ALL DAY… it allows this archetype to cheat and its beautiful!
-Cute furry animals spectating at the tournament (I'm talking to you bunnies and squirrels)

Slops:
-People who had things come up and could not make it to play (you know who you are!)

Mister Agent
11-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Great job on the first place win Robert!

Your list reminds me of Gavin Verhey's type 2 faeries list. Here is a link for reference: http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/standard/17877_Flow_of_Ideas_Faeries_Evolved_UBr_Faeries_in_Standard.html.

Also, it seems that splashing red for firespout paid off in like half of your matches. Well played on the metagame card choice. ;)