PDA

View Full Version : Parfait in Legacy

(nameless one)
11-16-2009, 01:12 PM
No, this has nothing to do with Rabid Wombat and Mighty Quinn decks although I will need TheInfamousBearAssassin's wisdom on this.

There is a local event going on around my area. It is sort like Legacy but they have actually allowed a couple of cards such as Grim Monolith and Land Tax.

Obviously, I am going to build a traditional Parfait deck. The problem is that the latest possible Parfait build dates back to 2000.

I would like ideas on an updated Parfait build. I would like to steal a couple ideas from Rabid Wombat and Mighty Quinn but they have different techs under the same ideology.

One of the suggestions were run Path to Exile over Swords to Plowshares. Obviously, I need to run Painterstone combo but I am budget tight right now, so no Grindstone for me. Instead, I would be running Stuffy Doll/Guilty Conscience combo.

Also, due to budget restrictions, there will be no Moat, although Solitary Confinement is apparently better (as I was told). The reason is that you will always have 3 fresh cards from Land Tax ready to be discarded. If you dont feel like discarding your lands, you can always Scroll Rack them.

If you guys have any more positive idea, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

hjalte
11-16-2009, 02:26 PM
You should definately play Mox Diamond and Zuran Orb. Mox diamond lets you play land tax, without playing a land (very good if you're on the play).

Instead of wasting 4 or more slots on stuffy doll/guilty conscience combo, I would rather play with Goblin Charbelcher, as you can almost always remove most plains (which should be the only lands you are playing, if you play charbelcher), which should net you some space for other nice cards :)

If you are going to win with Sacred Mesa, I will suggest that you run Planar Birth, so you can win fast. I'm not sure if this will be superior to running Elspeth.
I used to play Isochron scepter, when I played parfait, and then having both Argivian Find and Orim's chant, together with Swords to Plowshares (before Path to Exile was printed), which is quite nice.

You should definately get some humility, as they shut down Quasali Pridemage, which is too annoying.

I don't think I have other ideas. It's been around 7 years since I played Parfait, so I might be somewhat off....

nitewolf9
11-16-2009, 02:48 PM
Luminarch Ascension seems like it would be interesting in a deck like this as a win condition.

keys
11-16-2009, 03:09 PM
BIG EDIT. Sorry for not paying attention.

In any case, Red/White version with burn and humility seems like the best choice. Isochron/Helix would be good. 8-10 Chant effects between SB and MD against combo would be necessary.

Charbelcher for win con.

It's going to look something like this:

4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Orim's Chant
4 Lightning Helix
3 Enlightened Tutor
1 Argivian Find
3 Wrath of God

3 Humility
4 Land Tax
3 Scroll Rack
2 Sensei's Divining Top
2 Isochron Scepter
2 Goblin Charbelcher
1 Zuran Orb
1 Engineered Explosives

4 Mox Diamond
3 Ancient Tomb
4 Arid Mesa
2 Plateau
8 Plains
2 Mountains

Sideboard:
4 REB
4 Silence
2 Abeyance
2 Shattering Spree
3 Aura of Silence

hjalte
11-16-2009, 03:29 PM
How do you play Parfait without Land Tax????

He's not. In the event he's going to, they are allowed to play Grim Monolith and Land Tax.

There is a local event going on around my area. It is sort like Legacy but they have actually allowed a couple of cards such as Grim Monolith and Land Tax.

Benie Bederios
11-17-2009, 03:41 AM
http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6757&highlight=char+stick

It kinda looks like Parfait...

Benie

GreenOne
11-17-2009, 08:10 AM
I tried to build a parfait deck for legacy (obviously without land tax) long ago. I'll post the list without any will to explain the choices, just in case someone can gain some inspiration.

// Lands
13 [6E] Plains (4)

// Creatures
4 [SC] Eternal Dragon

// Spells
3 [NE] Seal of Cleansing
1 [WL] Phyrexian Furnace
4 [CHK] Ghostly Prison
3 [MR] Goblin Charbelcher
3 [MR] Chrome Mox
3 [TE] Scroll Rack
2 [WL] Argivian Find
4 [U] Swords to Plowshares
1 [SOK] Pithing Needle
4 [VI] Tithe
4 [MI] Enlightened Tutor
1 [LG] Moat
1 [UD] Powder Keg
1 [8E] Ensnaring Bridge
4 [PLC] Porphyry Nodes
1 [MR] Rule of Law
1 [TE] Humility
1 [CH] Tormod's Crypt
1 [10E] Aura of Silence

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [SOK] Pithing Needle
SB: 3 [MR] Rule of Law
SB: 1 [MM] Story Circle
SB: 3 [CH] Tormod's Crypt
SB: 1 [MM] Spiritual Focus
SB: 1 [6E] Warmth
SB: 3 [DK] Tivadar's Crusade
SB: 1 [9E] Sacred Ground

(nameless one)
11-17-2009, 09:03 AM
The tournament that I am going isnt sanctioned and we were actually allowed to use Land Tax or some list of banned cards (although its optional)

The tournament I think is more of an experiment to see how broken some cards are. We did the same thing last year when Entomb and Dream Halls were banned.

So a list that actually utilizes Land Tax would be nice.

I am currently at work right now but as soon as I have time, I will post my take on this Neo-Parfait deck.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
11-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Land Tax is almost certainly worse than Scrying Sheets.

But that being said, if you absolutely have to make the attempt;

14x Plains
4x Fieldmist Borderpost
4x Wildfield Borderpost

4x Land Tax
3x Scroll Rack
3x Enlightened Tutor

2x Goblin Charbelcher
2x Sacred Mesa

3x Wrath of God
4x Path to Exile
2x Swords to Plowshares

2x Runed Halo
3x Oblivion Ring
1x Story Circle
2x Humility
1x Moat

4x Orim's Chant
2x Isochron Scepter

4x Ethersworn Canonist
3x Tormod's Crypt
3x Ray of Distortion
1x Sacred Ground
1x Karmic Justice
1x Faith's Fetters
1x Genju of the Field
1x Rule of Law

(nameless one)
11-20-2009, 09:32 AM
Land Tax is almost certainly worse than Scrying Sheets.

But that being said, if you absolutely have to make the attempt;

14x Plains
4x Fieldmist Borderpost
4x Wildfield Borderpost

4x Land Tax
3x Scroll Rack
3x Enlightened Tutor

2x Goblin Charbelcher
2x Sacred Mesa

3x Wrath of God
4x Path to Exile
2x Swords to Plowshares

2x Runed Halo
3x Oblivion Ring
1x Story Circle
2x Humility
1x Moat

4x Orim's Chant
2x Isochron Scepter

4x Ethersworn Canonist
3x Tormod's Crypt
3x Ray of Distortion
1x Sacred Ground
1x Karmic Justice
1x Faith's Fetters
1x Genju of the Field
1x Rule of Law

Cool. Thanks for the input IBA!

Malchar
11-20-2009, 02:51 PM
When I played Parfait back in the day (or what I thought was parfait) it was something like this:
land tax + scroll rack shell for card advantage
fetchlands to shuffle and power the scroll rack without land tax
white weenies (especially the ones with shadow) to apply pressure and sure up the ground game
empyrial armor/empyrial plate for the win (again, the shadow weenies are great)
enlightened tutor to help find the parts

This mono white build seems very techy and it could also accomodate something like trinisphere if you wish to make a few changes. This is a meta choice. Personally, I always opt for mono colors when possible, but it's because I always seem to get burned in my current meta when I add too many colors.

Enlightened tutor or something like it seems really useful if you want to keep things like pithing needle or solitary confinement as tutor targets. It also works great with the painter + grindstone combo.