PDA

View Full Version : GP: MN Top 2 Split with Belcher

Damoxx
11-17-2009, 01:34 PM
Being the only event that I wanted play in at the GP, I was pumped to play the Legacy side event. After being ridiculed by my friends for wanting to take a belcher deck into format that runs Force of Wills I sleeve up:

4 Belcher
4 Dark Ritual
4 Rite of Flame
4 Lotus Petal
4 LED
4 Tinder Wall
4 Land Grant
4 Seething Song
4 Chrome Mox
4 ESG
4 SSG
4 Desperate Ritual
4 Burning Wish
3 Manamorphose
3 EtW
1 Bayou
1 Taiga

SB:
4 Shattering Spree
3 Duress
4 Xantid Swarm
1 Hull Breach
1 Pyroclasm
1 Tendrils
1 EtW

My memory is hazy and my notes were written the day after, so here we go.

58 Players. 6 Rounds. Cut to Top 8.

Round 1: Death and Taxes W2-1
G1: T1/2 win, I forget.
G2: He gets an early Canonist out and I had brought in swarms instead of Sprees. :(
Game 3 I drop a turn 1 belcher w/o mana to activate. He proceeds to drop a pithing needle turn 1, canonist turn 2, jitte turn 3. He beats me to 8 with Canonist with Jitte and Hound out. I proceed to rip a shattering spree off the top with an LED on the table. Whew.

Round 2: Dream Halls Combo W2-1
G1: I win T1
G2: I keep a hand with threats but little accel. He combos before me.
G3: T1 Swarm = T2 win.

Round 3 Zoo W2-1
G1: I make 12 gobbos and he tries to race. It did not work
G2: I mull to 5 and he does what Zoo can do.
G3: I win T1/2

Round 4: Ninja Faeries W2-1
G1: He goes T1 island, vial. Hmm. I go for t1 belch with an extra spirit guide in my hand. He tries daze. I pitch FTW.
G2: I mull to 6 trying to find swarm. He has enough disruption to stop me while beating with mutavaults and a cloud of faeries.
G3: I keep a hand with 2 belchers and accel. He didn’t have enough countermagic.

Round 5&6- ID

Top 8 Zoo W2-1
G1- I belch turn 3
G2- He plays turn 2 teeg with nacatl out. I was going to belch next turn.
G3- T1 I go for belcher he pops arid mesa-> orim’s chant. Hmm, that’s surprising. Pass turn. He plays a land and a cat. I am one mana short of playing and activating belcher and if I play belcher and he has a pridemage and a land, I’m dead in the water so I pass turn. He misses his land drop, plays pridemage, swings and passes. I proceed to get a SSG and go off.

Top 4 Ninja Faeries W2-1
G1- He has no FoW and I make 12 goblins turn 1.
G2- I mull to 5 and he gets double mutavault, vial and standstill running.
G3- I open my grip to see land and 2 xantid swarms. That’s all I need to pull off a turn 5 burp.

Finals Belcher Split
We have to play it out to have a winner and to decide who gets to draft the U.Sea first.
G1- He wins die roll and EtW for 10. I EtW turn 2 for 12. I try to beat him down by casting ESG and SSG, but he finds a belcher and mana first.
G2- Mull to 6 and I cast turn 1 belcher, but 2 mana short of activating. He proceeds to land grant to show me. 2x LED, SSG, Manamorphose, Dark Ritual, Burning Wish, ESG. He goes through the motions and draws belcher off the manamorphose. Nice.

johanessen
11-17-2009, 01:48 PM
Finals Belcher Split

Funny.

Btw, Belcher reports are ... well - It's ok.

Damoxx
11-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Yeah, they are actually kinda boring to write too.

Phoenix Ignition
11-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Freaking combo winter.

I'm glad to say I took down an ANT deck before biting it to Enchantress and then Dreadstill. 1-2 drop :-(.

Gratz though, it was mildly entertaining to see I think 3 belchers, 2 AnTs, and a Dream Halls deck among some Ichorids.

/bored of combo.

Damoxx
11-17-2009, 03:39 PM
Freaking combo winter.

Yeah, but it wasn't THAT cold here during the GP.

badjuju
11-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Rofl.

How long were your rounds?

MMogg
11-17-2009, 04:33 PM
Rofl.

haha, yeah that kind of sucks about playing combo. If your deck works really well you have to wait forever for the next round.

Damoxx
11-17-2009, 04:51 PM
Rofl.

I think my longest round was about 20 minutes. The IDs were nice, it allowed me to go get dinner before the Top 8. Mmm Chipotle. I also was able to have some drinks before the finals, which was nice.

But then the next day I watched a guy in the Vintage tournament ask for a time extension because he needed to use the bathroom. His previous the match went to extra turns and the judges were seating the next round literally seconds after the match slip was signed. Thankfully he got the extension.