PDA

View Full Version : [EDH] Maga, Traitor to Mortals - MBC

Jak
11-18-2009, 12:32 AM
So I know I have a mono black EDH thread around here somewhere, but I figured this would be more of a final-ish decklist and one I could reference. It is mostly set in stone, but feel free to make suggestions because I am sure this isn't perfect, I just have it in a place that I like it a lot.

General - 1
Maga, Traitor to Mortals

Lands - 40
31 Snow-Covered Swamp
1 Scrying Sheets
1 Boseiju, Who Shelter's All
1 Volrath's Stronghold
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Strip Mine
1 Cabal Coffers
1 Deserted Temple
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Vesuva

Creatures - 9
1 Gatekeeper of Malakir
1 Withered Wretch
1 Crypt Rats
1 Magus of the Coffers
1 Visara the Dreadful
1 Phage the Untouchable
1 Reiver Demon
1 Avatar of Woe
1 Myojin of Night's Reach

Instants - 3
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Imp's Mischief
1 Tendrils of Corruption

Sorceries - 27
1 Innocent Blood
1 Mind Twist
1 Grim Discovery
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Chainer's Edict
1 Night's Whisper
1 Sign in Blood
1 Mind Shatter
1 Drain Life
1 Profane Command
1 Consume Spirit
1 Ambition's Cost
1 Ancient Craving
1 Syphon Mind
1 Diabolic Tutor
1 Temporal Extortion
1 Barter in Blood
1 Mutilate
1 Damnation
1 Mind Sludge
1 Beacon of Unrest
1 Promise of Power
1 Beseech the Queen
1 Corrupt
1 Cabal Conditioning
1 Decree of Pain
1 Plague Wind

Enchantments - 4
1 Phyrexian Arena
1 Necropotence
1 Pestilence
1 Enslave

Artifacts - 14
1 Sol Ring
1 Expedition Map
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Journeyer's Kite
1 Doubling Cube
1 Whispersilk Cloak
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Staff of Domination
1 Oblivion Stone
1 Nevinyrral's Disk
1 Mirari
1 Gauntlet of Power
1 Mind's Eye

Planeswalkers - 2
1 Liliana Vess
1 Sorin Markov

The deck is built for multiplayer and multiplayer only. Stuff like mass discard, mass removal, etc just doesn't cut it when you are head to head. This deck is built to start out slow and then accelerate itself into piles of mana and cards.

I decided to go with Maga because it is a threat. Something like Visara, Ashling, Horobi, and Kagemaro are much more controlling creatures. This is great but I was running into situations where I had the mana but lacked the threat. Maga allows me to always have that threat and drain life effect, which this deck loves. I think I run them all with the exception of Soul Burn because I just found out its legal.

The deck revolves around Coffers. When I get Coffers going, the deck really can't be stopped. I always have the threat for it in Maga, and I have all the cards to abuse it (Deserted Temple, Doubling Cube, Vesuva, etc). The only reason I am running cards like Strip Mine is to protect Coffers.

So go ahead and pick it apart.

Sims
11-18-2009, 01:08 AM
I've been playing a list very close to it and I've been very impressed with it so far. I'm really enjoying how you can make yourself not a threat for a while, playing political with sweepers and hitting the player in the best position with well timed mass-discard effects until you're ready to explode into knocking multiple players out in one turn.

How has the Dark Depths combo fared for you? I haven't put it in as I really don't wanna shell the cash out for a Depths for what is essentially a casual deck, and I'm prolly never gunna run that combo in legacy.

I guess really I'm not in a good spot to give critique, as my list is only like 2-3 cards off yours. Has there been anything in particular you've been finding weak? For instance, I cut Necrologia cause it usually set me up for more hurt than it was worth.

Jak
11-18-2009, 03:26 AM
I've been playing a list very close to it and I've been very impressed with it so far. I'm really enjoying how you can make yourself not a threat for a while, playing political with sweepers and hitting the player in the best position with well timed mass-discard effects until you're ready to explode into knocking multiple players out in one turn.

How has the Dark Depths combo fared for you? I haven't put it in as I really don't wanna shell the cash out for a Depths for what is essentially a casual deck, and I'm prolly never gunna run that combo in legacy.

I guess really I'm not in a good spot to give critique, as my list is only like 2-3 cards off yours. Has there been anything in particular you've been finding weak? For instance, I cut Necrologia cause it usually set me up for more hurt than it was worth.

I agree with you on everything. The deck performs better than I thought.

To be honest, I haven't been able to test the Depths combo. I haven't played with the deck since pre-Zen. I plan to play it this weekend so I decided I needed to update it. I am not really sure how it will work out. To make a guess, I think it will do well. Sword effects are low and the thing is sweeper resistant. If anything, it will have people focus on stopping the 20/20 and not your mana production which will win you the game anyway.

Necrologia is on my watch list. I recently cut quite a bit of draw because I was just sitting back and was having hands where it was overflowing with it. Since the deck isn't that aggressive early I decided to cut back. I took out Necropotence (so hard since the card is awesome) and Skeletal Scrying. I never empty my hand for these to be effective.

Off topic, but I was playing a game where I had Reliquary Tower in play and Necropotence. I drew a ton of cards since I wasn't in any danger from damage. Next turn I cast Promise of Power with entwine for a 30/30 token that then was equipped with haste.

When I play it this weekend, I'll be able to post a list with the cuts. I can really only cut things when I have to. I'll let you know how everything does.

Sims
11-18-2009, 07:48 PM
I thought about dropping Necro, though it seems so blasphemous. Few times I've played it out early I've not had a reliquary tower or i got hit by an oppoing black players Death Cloud and got put in a really bad spot. I've just only ended up playing it lately when I'm ahead on life/board position and can safely pick up stacks of cards looking for whatever i need to seal the game. I haven't had the same problem with Skeletal Scrying, but I've been playing that over necrologia. I know it's more restrictive, but the cheaper cost has mattered in a few games.

How have Wound Reflection, phage, and grim discovery been treating you?

JeroenC
11-18-2009, 08:30 PM
You're running Necro without Eternity Vessel? Seems weird to me, as those two cards together in play probably ensure victory.

Jak
11-18-2009, 08:45 PM
I thought about dropping Necro, though it seems so blasphemous. Few times I've played it out early I've not had a reliquary tower or i got hit by an oppoing black players Death Cloud and got put in a really bad spot. I've just only ended up playing it lately when I'm ahead on life/board position and can safely pick up stacks of cards looking for whatever i need to seal the game. I haven't had the same problem with Skeletal Scrying, but I've been playing that over necrologia. I know it's more restrictive, but the cheaper cost has mattered in a few games.

How have Wound Reflection, phage, and grim discovery been treating you?

Definitely true about Necro. I may just be playing it wrong at times.

Grim Discovery is nothing but awesome. It's CA that can get back the card your deck ticks with (Coffers) or a utility creature of some sort. Phage is there because its cool. I mean, I often times tutor for Lightning Greaves to make Maga so much more of a threat and winning randomly with Phage is nice. Wound Reflection is good at helping the deck explode earlier, but it does just sit there most of the time and make me a target.

I think I might actually cut down on my threats. Things like Avatar of Woe are lackluster at times and although I said it might be awesome, I may cut Dark Depths since that isn't what the deck really wants to be doing. I am working on putting Necro back in, Pestilence, Fleshbag Marauder, Shriekmaw, Big Game Hunter, and Nekrataal.

So...

-Hexmage
-Dark Depths
-Wound Reflection
-Swamp
-Necrologia
+Necro
+Pestilence
+Fleshbag Marauder
+Shriekmaw
+Big Game Hunter

This leaves me at 102.

With the addtions of all these small utility dudes, it makes me want to put Haunted Crossroads and Phrexian Reclamation in. Also, Bane of the Living would be good with this. Ugh, so many options.

MattH
11-19-2009, 01:28 PM
Black Market is pretty cool.

johanessen
11-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Black Market is pretty cool.

And Phyrexian Tower.

Zach Tartell
11-19-2009, 01:42 PM
How about a copy of Miren, so you can replay Maga/gain tons of life?

Bryant Cook
11-25-2009, 02:03 PM
I told myself I was done building EDH decks after I finish my 3rd. Then I saw this... It looks AWESOME. I came up with my own list.

General: Maga, Traitor to Mortals

30x Swamp
1x Leechridden Swamp
1x Wasteland
1x Reliquary Tower
1x Boseiju, Who Shelter's All
1x Volrath's Stronghold
1x Cabal Coffers
1x Deserted Temple
1x Petrified Field
1x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1x Vesuva
1x Mind Stone
1x Expedition Map
1x Journeyer's Kite
1x Extraplanar Lens
1x Doubling Cube
1x Gauntlet of Power

1x Withered Wretch
1x Gatekeeper of Malakir
1x Fleshbag Marauder
1x Nekrataal
1x Shriekmaw
1x Crypt Rats
1x Magus of the Coffers
1x Phyrexian Gargantua
1x Phage the Untouchable
1x Myojin of Night's Reach

1x Vampiric Tutor
1x Demonic Tutor
1x Diabolic Tutor
1x Beseech the Queen
1x Sensei's Divining Top

1x Skeletal Scrying
1x Night's Whisper
1x Sign in Blood
1x Phyrexian Arena
1x Necropotence
1x Ambition's Cost
1x Ancient Craving
1x Promise of Power
1x Staff of Domination
1x Mind's Eye

1x Innocent Blood
1x Smallpox
1x Chainer’s Edict
1x Barter in Blood

1x Syphon Mind
1x Mind Twist
1x Mind Shatter
1x Mind Sludge
1x Cabal Conditioning

1x Grim Discovery
1x Beacon of Unrest
1x Mirari

1x Drain Life
1x Consume Spirit
1x Profane Command
1x Tendrils of Corruption
1x Corrupt

1x Pestilence
1x Mutilate
1x Damnation
1x Oblivion Stone
1x Nevinyrral's Disk
1x Decree of Pain
1x Plague Wind

1x Lightning Greaves
1x Whispersilk Cloak

1x Liliana Vess
1x Sorin Markov

Bryant Cook
11-26-2009, 12:34 PM
What do you guys think about Altar of Shadows?

Artifact, 7 (7)
At the beginning of your precombat main phase, add {B} to your mana pool for each charge counter on Altar of Shadows.
{7}, {T}: Destroy target creature. Then put a charge counter on Altar of Shadows.

Also, I need to make room for Graveborn Muse.

phthisis - could be very good, removal and a drain life effect.

Is Yawgmoth's Will worth it? It replays Coffers and a Drainlife effect, Draw, ect. We wouldn't be able to go broken...

Jak
11-26-2009, 01:49 PM
What do you guys think about Altar of Shadows?

Artifact, 7 (7)
At the beginning of your precombat main phase, add {B} to your mana pool for each charge counter on Altar of Shadows.
{7}, {T}: Destroy target creature. Then put a charge counter on Altar of Shadows.

Also, I need to make room for Graveborn Muse.

phthisis - could be very good, removal and a drain life effect.

Is Yawgmoth's Will worth it? It replays Coffers and a Drainlife effect, Draw, ect. We wouldn't be able to go broken...

I like Altar, I just am trying to fit it in. It's awesome at hitting black creatures and Iona.

Graveborn Muse is good. I have been trying to make a heavier creature version that uses all the good guys from our lists and then some others, but the list is much better with Xiahou Dun as the general alond with Haunted Crossroads and Phyrexian Reclamation. I don't have a Xiahou.

Yawgmoth's Will is okay. I just haven't felt the need for it with as much draw and multiples of cards (ie multiple Drain Life effects, a lot of mass removal, enough CA already). I may be overlooking the power of replaying Coffers though.

Bryant Cook
11-26-2009, 02:12 PM
I like Altar, I just am trying to fit it in. It's awesome at hitting black creatures and Iona.

Graveborn Muse is good. I have been trying to make a heavier creature version that uses all the good guys from our lists and then some others, but the list is much better with Xiahou Dun as the general alond with Haunted Crossroads and Phyrexian Reclamation. I don't have a Xiahou.

Yawgmoth's Will is okay. I just haven't felt the need for it with as much draw and multiples of cards (ie multiple Drain Life effects, a lot of mass removal, enough CA already). I may be overlooking the power of replaying Coffers though.

I'm not playing Crucible because people are throwing fits about recurring Waste/Strip.

Jak
11-26-2009, 02:31 PM
I'm not playing Crucible because people are throwing fits about recurring Waste/Strip.

I really don't go for recurring LD anyway. The only reason I have Strip Mine in there is to take out Academy Ruins, Dust Bowl or any other Wasteland effect out there so I can then drop my Coffers. Plus, it is out interest to keep playing Swamps, recursion on one land to take out one player from the game is terrible.

I may cut Enslave and Night's Whisper for Fleshbag and Shriekmaw. I really want to fit in Nek too.

Bryant, you should try Bane of the Living and Haunted Crossroads out since you have all the 187 removal creatures. You would probably need a sac outlet for Maga and things to make it even better.

Bryant Cook
11-26-2009, 02:42 PM
I really don't go for recurring LD anyway. The only reason I have Strip Mine in there is to take out Academy Ruins, Dust Bowl or any other Wasteland effect out there so I can then drop my Coffers. Plus, it is out interest to keep playing Swamps, recursion on one land to take out one player from the game is terrible.

I may cut Enslave and Night's Whisper for Fleshbag and Shriekmaw. I really want to fit in Nek too.

Bryant, you should try Bane of the Living and Haunted Crossroads out since you have all the 187 removal creatures. You would probably need a sac outlet for Maga and things to make it even better.

I don't like Bane of the Living, it's not my style. People always know what it is and costs too much for a little effect. X3BB is a lot of mana. I also don't like Crossroads, skipping a draw is weak. I'd run reclamation first.

I'll never just Whispers or Sign, they're too good.

Jak
11-26-2009, 02:48 PM
I don't like Bane of the Living, it's not my style. People always know what it is and costs too much for a little effect. X3BB is a lot of mana. I also don't like Crossroads, skipping a draw is weak. I'd run reclamation first.

I'll never just Whispers or Sign, they're too good.

Eww I thought Crossroads had the same ability as Reclamation. I would play Bane to just have the recurring sweeper effect. I wouldn't care if they knew what it was.

I guess I agree about them. I'll look to free up slots elsewhere.

badjuju
11-26-2009, 06:48 PM
Is Bane of the Living really not that good? I think it's pretty powerful, along with Kagemaro (I have no idea if he's too slow or not). I'd also consider Dimir House Guard as a way to tutor up sweeper effects. Also, how good has Phage been for you?

Jak
11-26-2009, 11:15 PM
Is Bane of the Living really not that good? I think it's pretty powerful, along with Kagemaro (I have no idea if he's too slow or not). I'd also consider Dimir House Guard as a way to tutor up sweeper effects. Also, how good has Phage been for you?

I don't know about the first three, but I will try them. Kagemaro is a kickass general though. Phage is good. I like that I have a threat that wins me the game that doesnt cost a fuck ton of mana. It's nice to be able to win a lot of different ways, something my older EDh didn't really have.

badjuju
11-27-2009, 02:28 AM
I don't know about the first three, but I will try them. Kagemaro is a kickass general though. Phage is good. I like that I have a threat that wins me the game that doesnt cost a fuck ton of mana. It's nice to be able to win a lot of different ways, something my older EDh didn't really have.

Is Kagemaro better than Xiahou Dun or Maga as a general though? The response sorta has me interested, cause Kagemaro is probably one of my favorite creatures of all time. I don't really play EDH, but I want to start, just not sure what the format really looks like or how valuable something like Kagemaro's ability would be, especially if I'm against decks that are more creature light. I just like how Maga is a powerful, recurring win condition that is also probably pretty crazy at stalling.

Jak
11-27-2009, 03:11 AM
Is Kagemaro better than Xiahou Dun or Maga as a general though? The response sorta has me interested, cause Kagemaro is probably one of my favorite creatures of all time. I don't really play EDH, but I want to start, just not sure what the format really looks like or how valuable something like Kagemaro's ability would be, especially if I'm against decks that are more creature light. I just like how Maga is a powerful, recurring win condition that is also probably pretty crazy at stalling.

Kagemaro, Xiahou, and Maga are the three I would run in a black control deck. You could really argue for any one of them. I felt Maga was more explosive and could finish games faster which is why I picked it. Kagemaro serves a different function. I have no idea how I would build the deck around him because using him means you won't need as much mass removal. You could probably end up fitting more creatures in there, but I really haven't given him much thought.

IMO, Xiahou would be the best. It can get back control elements, win cons, CA, or just win it himself with that unblockable 3 damage. It can essentially do what the other two can. It does require more work though. You really need stuff like Phyrexian Reclamation and Haunted Crossroads.

badjuju
11-27-2009, 05:13 AM
Kagemaro serves a different function. I have no idea how I would build the deck around him because using him means you won't need as much mass removal. You could probably end up fitting more creatures in there, but I really haven't given him much thought.

Sorry to veer off topic a bit, but what do you think if an MBC with Kagemaro as general, and replacing some of the mass removal with hand disruption? This would probably gear the deck in a direction that is better for duels...maybe?

edit: Braids is pretty good for that too. I wouldn't play her in multiplayer though, unless you want the world to hate you.

Jak
11-27-2009, 05:36 AM
Sorry to veer off topic a bit, but what do you think if an MBC with Kagemaro as general, and replacing some of the mass removal with hand disruption? This would probably gear the deck in a direction that is better for duels...maybe?

edit: Braids is pretty good for that too. I wouldn't play her in multiplayer though, unless you want the world to hate you.

If it were for duels, then yeah, hand disruption would be better. I don't think it would be horrible, but I really would only play this deck in multiplayer.

Braids is banned as a general.

Bryant Cook
11-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Leechridden Swamp? I don't see a reason not to play it over the thirty first swamp.

badjuju
11-27-2009, 12:41 PM
How about Shizo, Death's Storehouse? Drain Life with Maga then swing. Might be overkill, but just throwing it out there.

Bryant Cook
11-27-2009, 12:52 PM
How about Shizo, Death's Storehouse? Drain Life with Maga then swing. Might be overkill, but just throwing it out there.

If you cut a non-swamp for it I don't see a problem. You want to keep the swamp count high for Gauntlet, Extraplanar Lens, and coffers.

Leechridden Swamp counts as a swamp.

MattH
11-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Leechridden Swamp counts as a swamp.
True, although it still doesn't work with Lens.

Jak
11-27-2009, 08:06 PM
True, although it still doesn't work with Lens.

Or Gauntlet. I am on the fence about it.

Koby
11-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Altho it's vastly underpowered compared to the rest of the cards, I like running Urborg Syphon-Mage as an early game drop. Trouble is, I hardly ever want to discard any of my cards since they're all bombs. Works well with Crucible/Journeyer's Kite tho.

Jak
11-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Altho it's vastly underpowered compared to the rest of the cards, I like running Urborg Syphon-Mage as an early game drop. Trouble is, I hardly ever want to discard any of my cards since they're all bombs. Works well with Crucible/Journeyer's Kite tho.

I had that as a card in my first list. I just hated it. It has a really good effect, but it just makes you a target early and you have to discard a card to use it.

I have added another early drop in Nezumi Graverobber. More GY hate is nice, its reusable GY hate, and it can be a nice win condition. I would like something that isn't as vulnerable, but I don't think there is.

Bryant Cook
11-28-2009, 06:43 PM
I saw another mono-black control EDH deck this weekend and stole some card ideas...

30x Swamp
1x Strip Mine
1x Wasteland
1x Reliquary Tower
1x Volrath's Stronghold
1x Cabal Coffers
1x Deserted Temple
1x Petrified Field
1x Vesuva
1x Mind Stone
1x Expedition Map
1x Journeyer's Kite
1x Extraplanar Lens
1x Doubling Cube
1x Gauntlet of Power

1x Withered Wretch
1x Gatekeeper of Malakir
1x Fleshbag Marauder
1x Shriekmaw
1x Graveborn Muse
1x Crypt Rats
1x Magus of the Coffers
1x Phyrexian Gargantua
1x Reiver Demon

1x Vampiric Tutor
1x Demonic Tutor
1x Diabolic Tutor
1x Beseech the Queen
1x Sensei's Divining Top

1x Skeletal Scrying
1x Night's Whisper
1x Sign in Blood
1x Phyrexian Arena
1x Necropotence
1x Ambition's Cost
1x Ancient Craving
1x Promise of Power
1x Staff of Domination
1x Mind's Eye

1x Innocent Blood
1x Smallpox
1x Chainer’s Edict
1x Barter in Blood
1x Phythisis

1x Syphon Mind
1x Mind Twist
1x Mind Shatter
1x Mind Sludge
1x Cabal Conditioning

1x Grim Discovery
1x Beacon of Unrest
1x Mirari

1x Drain Life
1x Consume Spirit
1x Profane Command
1x Corrupt

1x Pestilence
1x Mutilate
1x Damnation
1x Oblivion Stone
1x Nevinyrral's Disk
1x Dregs of Sorrow
1x Decree of Pain
1x Overwhelming Forces

1x Liliana Vess
1x Sorin Markov

Dregs of Sorrow - INSANE.
Overwhelming Forces - Cut Plague Wind for it, only targets some player, but draws cards.
Phythisis - Saw it in action, very good.
Graveborn Muse - We run enough removal, so I cut Nekratall for it
Reiver Demon - I didn't like Phage. Cut equipment, without Phage they're not worth it in my eye.

Shabbaman
12-03-2009, 04:29 AM
With the risk of posting something completely obsolete, last week I read an article on SCG (http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/multiplayer/18320_Feature_Article_MonoBlack_Stax_in_Elder_Dragon_Highlander.html) on this deck.

Bryant Cook
12-07-2009, 09:50 AM
What do you guys think about Deathcloud? Is it too much? Would losing the lands hurt more than the overall effect? I think it's something to look into. I wanna try it, I'm wondering if anyone else has already.

Jak
12-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Eh, I'm not too big on things that make me sac lands. This deck abuses its mana better than most I've seen, so sacrificing that seems terrible.

Bryant Cook
12-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Eh, I'm not too big on things that make me sac lands. This deck abuses its mana better than most I've seen, so sacrificing that seems terrible.

I agree, but I saw it as a multiple person finisher rather than sacrifice outlet. Drain up to 60 or something then D.Cloud for a TON.

badjuju
12-18-2009, 01:28 AM
Okay so this is kinda dumb but I just had my friend sleeve up the Vendilion Clique MUC deck and I beat it 4-0 with a variant of Maga. He could NOT handle the amount of mana I was constantly producing and the must-counter spells I kept playing. Since this deck is creature light, I blanked a lot of his removal. Granted he never got Crucbile lock on me, I was literally shocked at how effective MBC was. I think in duels if I took out a few sweepers (like Plague Wind) and put in Stax elements or more discard (Persecute comes to mind), this is actually a REALLY scary deck to play against. The first thing I always tutor for is a Mind Twist, play out a bunch of mana and card draw, then just unload threat density and twist him out of the game. Sludge/Cabal Conditioning/Mind Shatter all have the same effect - God forbid I have a Boseiju.

I'm going to run this against some combo archetypes to see how it does.

EDIT:

By the same stroke of luck, my friend just won the next two games cause he Stripped/Wasted/Ghosted my Boseiju/Coffers every game. lol.

Carabas
12-18-2009, 09:29 AM
The biggest problem MBC has in duels is that quick disruptive generals, like rofellos or Gaddock Teeg can get out of hand before something can be done. Turn 3 plow under is pretty much game over, and Teeg negates a lot of our spells. More spot removal helps this a lot, and while I just lost two games in a row to a resolved Iona, I think that some form of EDH MBC has two-player potential.

Bryant Cook
12-20-2009, 08:52 PM
The biggest problem MBC has in duels is that quick disruptive generals, like rofellos or Gaddock Teeg can get out of hand before something can be done. Turn 3 plow under is pretty much game over, and Teeg negates a lot of our spells. More spot removal helps this a lot, and while I just lost two games in a row to a resolved Iona, I think that some form of EDH MBC has two-player potential.

I don't see too much of a problem with either general you mentioned to be honest. My list packs a lot of removal.

Iona on the other hand only has two anwers in Disk and O-Stone. But I've been considering adding Alter of Shadows. It's an additional answer and it creates mana.

Bryant Cook
12-24-2009, 03:09 PM
I lost to Iona for the first time, it's quite gay. However, what can you do with a mono color deck? Play tons of Duplicants?

Anyway, I've cut Small Pox, card is awful. I never wanted to cast it since losing lands hurts. I've added Korlash, Heir to Blackblade. He's insane.

I currently want to add Mortivore. These guys get out of hand - FAST. Plus they regenerate for a cheap amount. However, I don't know what to cut from my list.

Has anyone else found Syphon Mind underwhelming? Same could be said for Mirari, this could just because I haven't gotten it working. I could cut Phyrexian Gargantuan, but I'm a big fan. I'm lost. Help?

EDIT: Pestilence? There's never creatures in play. I think thats Mortivore.

Koby
12-24-2009, 05:19 PM
The larger the game (more players I mean) the better the chance that Pestilence will stay to wreck havoc. I really like it in the red deck (Pyrohemia obv) and it seems like it could be lots of fun (read lots of damage).

Jak
12-24-2009, 05:26 PM
I lost to Iona for the first time, it's quite gay. However, what can you do with a mono color deck? Play tons of Duplicants?

Pretty much. Also, Disk and Stone. You really have to rely on other players to get rid of Iona and Enchantments.

Anyway, I've cut Small Pox, card is awful. I never wanted to cast it since losing lands hurts. I've added Korlash, Heir to Blackblade. He's insane.

Good. Is Korlash better than Nightmare though?

I currently want to add Mortivore. These guys get out of hand - FAST. Plus they regenerate for a cheap amount. However, I don't know what to cut from my list.

I like the card, but I hardly ever play against creature decks.

Has anyone else found Syphon Mind underwhelming? Same could be said for Mirari, this could just because I haven't gotten it working. I could cut Phyrexian Gargantuan, but I'm a big fan. I'm lost. Help?

Syphon Mind is ridiculous but does get weaker when you play in a smaller group. Mirari is weak unless you get Coffers going but so are most of the cards. Getting it working with tutors gets crazy because you just keep tutoring for another tutor and other crazy cards. It also makes the discard and drain life effects better.

EDIT: Pestilence? There's never creatures in play. I think thats Mortivore.

I actually haven't been playing with this. I want to and would but again, I play against zero creature decks. It is good to hit players but I have enough cards that do that.

I am basically with the same list. Not much to change in MBC.

badjuju
12-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Okay I'm glad there's some talk going on. There are a few cards that I think we should take a look at.

First off, some underwhelming cards:

-Magus of the Coffers (slow as all hell, or maybe i'm just bitter cause he never survives past a wheel)
-Phthisis (it's been okay, but just OKAY)
-Smallpox (doesn't really do anything for me)
-Mindstone (not that it isn't good, just meh)

And cards that I think could make it in:

-Death Cloud
-Soul Burn
-Altar of Shadows
-Duplicant
-Bloodchief Ascension
-Bitter Blossom (1v1)
-Hero's Demise (1v1)
-Sudden Death (1v1)
-Nightmare Incursion (1v1)

As for Iona, I guess there's no other way around it. It's possible to just run more tutors or extraction spells (Demonic Collusion, Cruel Tutor, Imperial Seal // Sadistic Sacrament, Nightmare Incursion), although that's pretty loose. Adding Duplicant and Altar of Shadows is probably the best bet. Mirari has been on the fence for me. Most of the time it's win more, but in certain multiplayer games it can turn really brutal if they give you time to develop. Copying X spells is just mean.

I'm also considering dropping Maga and using Xiahou Dun instead. That guy is bonkers in many cases. If I do that I'll probably add in Soul Burn so I have more kill spells to abuse. Korlash also seems like a good add, but is he necessary?

Koby
12-24-2009, 06:48 PM
PS: Expedition Map is MVP in MBC

Jak
12-24-2009, 08:23 PM
PS: Expedition Map is MVP in MBC

Word.

Also, yeah, I have been using Altar as well. Great versus Iona and pro black crap. It lso gives mana.

Bryant Cook
12-25-2009, 12:14 AM
Okay I'm glad there's some talk going on. There are a few cards that I think we should take a look at.

First off, some underwhelming cards:

-Magus of the Coffers (slow as all hell, or maybe i'm just bitter cause he never survives past a wheel)
-Phthisis (it's been okay, but just OKAY)
-Smallpox (doesn't really do anything for me)
-Mindstone (not that it isn't good, just meh)

And cards that I think could make it in:

-Death Cloud
-Soul Burn
-Altar of Shadows
-Duplicant
-Bloodchief Ascension
-Bitter Blossom (1v1)
-Hero's Demise (1v1)
-Sudden Death (1v1)
-Nightmare Incursion (1v1)

As for Iona, I guess there's no other way around it. It's possible to just run more tutors or extraction spells (Demonic Collusion, Cruel Tutor, Imperial Seal // Sadistic Sacrament, Nightmare Incursion), although that's pretty loose. Adding Duplicant and Altar of Shadows is probably the best bet. Mirari has been on the fence for me. Most of the time it's win more, but in certain multiplayer games it can turn really brutal if they give you time to develop. Copying X spells is just mean.

I'm also considering dropping Maga and using Xiahou Dun instead. That guy is bonkers in many cases. If I do that I'll probably add in Soul Burn so I have more kill spells to abuse. Korlash also seems like a good add, but is he necessary?

Out of the cards you mentioned I like...

Duplicant (But I don't feel it's really needed, it'd be added over Shriekmaw)
Altar of Shadows (Probably over Mindstone/Pestilence)
Sadistic Sacrament/Nightmare Incursion (Over ?) - I've been considering these because people have started playing Armageddon decks.
Mortivore - I decided one useless fattie (Korlash) is enough. Seriously, they need to kill something when they CIP.

Jak - Yes, Korlash is better, it's 4 mana and regenerates. Flying is meh.

badjuju
12-25-2009, 02:35 AM
Ok this might be slightly off topic, but it's still MBC and was one of jak.'s original threads. I really, really like Xiahou Dun, and even though I may not own one yet, I plan on obtaining him very soon. Since the spells in MBC are all very high impact, recurring them will be bonkers.

Tutors
1 Vampiric Tutor
2 Demonic Tutor
3 Diablolic Tutor
4 Beseech the Queen

Discard
5 Mind Twist
6 Mind Shatter
7 Mind Sludge
8 Syphon Mind

Removal
9 Innocent Blood
10 Chainer's Edict
11 Barter in Blood
12 Tendrils of Corruption
13 Phthisis
14 Altar of Shadows

Sweepers
15 Damnation
16 Mutilate
17 Decree of Pain
18 Plague Wind
19 Dregs of Sorrow
20 Pestilence
21 Nevinyrral's Disk
22 Oblivion Stone

Mana Ramp
23 Expedition Map
24 Journeyer's Kite
25 Doubling Cube
26 Extraplanar Lens
27 Gauntlet of Power

Drains
28 Corrupt
29 Drain Life
30 Consume Spirit
31 Soul Burn
32 Profane Command

Card Draw
33 Night's Whisper
34 Sign in Blood
35 Ambition's Cost
36 Ancient Craving
37 Phyrexian Arena
38 Necropotence
39 Promise of Power

Utility
40 Sensei's Divining Top
41 Grim Discovery
42 Beacon of Unrest
43 Crucible of Worlds
44 Mirari
45 Haunted Crossroads
46 Phyrexian Reclamation

Walkers
47 Liliana Vess
48 Sorin Markov

Creatures
49 Fleshbag Marauder
50 Gatekeeper of Malakir
51 Crypt Rats
52 Avatar of Woe
53 Kagemaro, First to Suffer
54 Reiver Demon

55 Withered Wretch
56 Graveborn Muse
57 Solemn Simulacrum
58 Myojin of Night's Reach
59 Magus of the Coffers
60 Maga, Traitor to Mortals

61-100 Mana Base

Swamp x30
Cabal Coffers
Vesuva
Petrified Field
Deserted Temple
Volrath's Stronghold
Reliquary Tower
Uborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Boseiju, Who Shelters All
Strip Mine
Wasteland

Things that should probably be in here:
-Sol Ring
-Duplicant
-Shriekmaw
-Nekrataal
-Chainer, Dementia Master
-Hatred (maybe)
-More tutors

Shenanigans. If you have one tutor, you can get Crossroads or Reclamation, allowing you to get whatever you need whenever. And if course if the tricks fail for whatever reason, he's still an Eternal Witness that can double as an unblockable win condition.
I'm interested to hear what you guys think (although it's pretty much just the same deck).
Also note that Staff of Domination is banned in my meta :(

Eatatjoes
12-25-2009, 09:50 AM
This deck is so much fun to pilot. Been playing it for the past week, and its very consistent, its almost unfair. Its also really good to slow play. Once everyone thinks your a threat, its already to late, since you swept the board, and made everyone discard there hand, all in the same turn, most of the time. Ive seen some versions playing insidious dreams. Is there any combination of cards, that you can stack, that will win you the game when you draw them? I only want to cast it when i have alot of mana, so i can stack my deck with something like promise of power on top, so i can get all the cards in hand at the same time, instead of over a couple of turns. Staff of domination and magus of the coffers wins the game, but sometimes he wont survive before the next turn comes around to use his ability.

My list is like 7 cards different then bryants version, i also play with 1x relic of progenitus, since there is alot of graveyard reliant decks in my meta. I wouldnt run it otherwise, but when you sit down with 4 other players dumping a gang of shit in there yard, it sucks when i have to dump 20 mana into my withered wretch and waste my turn, before they untap and wreck me.

Bryant Cook
12-27-2009, 08:48 PM
I won a six person game tonight with Maga. Active Mirari took it down, I'm never cutting it. Playing Corrupt and copying it was enough to secure my stability.

Jak
12-28-2009, 01:18 AM
@Yesmilord

Xiahou is definitely a good choice in general. You have the right idea of the recursion. Corpse Dance is ridiculous with Xiahou as well as Haunted Crossroads, Phyrexian Reclamation, and Profane Command. Hatred is solid, but there is also Sigil of Distinction.

Out of the list of cards you were suggesting, I don't really like any of them. They could be good to build around, but stuff like Smokestack and Braids is not fun, and you will get hated out. This deck is pretty ridiculous against control with the mass discard, low amount of creatures, powerful card advantage, and crazy mana creation. The only card I see as worthwhile is The Abyss because it is great disruption.

Jak
12-28-2009, 01:20 AM
I won a six person game tonight with Maga. Active Mirari took it down, I'm never cutting it. Playing Corrupt and copying it was enough to secure my stability.

You should totally write a mini report.

And if anyone has the chance to play this in Emperor or whatever it is, do it. Undisruptable mana production wins the game. I single-handedly took one player out that was a guard or whatever and then the other general in consecutive turns on like turn 10.

Bryant Cook
12-28-2009, 11:35 AM
Well I won't do a play by play but I'll do something.

There wasn't much action the first few turns, Isamaru, Lightning Greaves, and Preacher happened on the white weenie side.

Myself and the Ally deck player both had Arena.

Godo deck had turn 2 Godo with Sword of Light/Shadow and next turn Godo's Maul.

Catacylsm happened.

I kept Coffers and Arena. Played Urborg. Preacher stole Godo, hit the Ally player. I played Wretch and the Gatekeeper. Soon to follow Shriekmaw on Godo. Coffers put me very far ahead of everyone else. I attacked the Ally deck since he could only keep up with me. I played Lens, Gauntlet, then Consume Spirit in the same turn to kill him.

Gauntlet was killed a few turns later. Kresh played Spitful Visions. On my turn I played Mirari then copied Corrupt to Kresh, then attacked him for 7. He's out.

Next turn I played Lillian tutoring for Doubling Cube. Played Vesuva copying Coffers, killed something passed.

Untapped made a bunch of mana and Maga'd out the Land based deck. The players left passed. I attacked Godo, before blockers killed his dude. He's dead.

Only the white weenie deck was left. He played some enchantment and passed.

I Drain Life'd him for 36 exactly, his life total.

Bryant Cook
01-04-2010, 01:13 PM
I recently added Thawing Glaciers, it was pointed out to me. I will also be adding Rings of Brighthearth over Overwhelming Forces. Forces has been not pulling its weight recently. I saw Rings + Coffers + Deserted Temple = Infinite mana. Plus rings + Coffers by itself its insane.

xXxBretWeedxXx
01-04-2010, 01:20 PM
I recently added Thawing Glaciers, it was pointed out to me. I will also be adding Rings of Brighthearth over Overwhelming Forces. Forces has been not pulling its weight recently. I saw Rings + Coffers + Deserted Temple = Infinite mana. Plus rings + Coffers by itself its insane.

While Rings is sick it doesn't directly combo with Coffers. Rings doesn't copy mana abilities, still it's good with so many other cards. Maybe you can throw in Basalt Monolith if you want to abuse infinite mana a bit more.

Nightmare
01-04-2010, 01:52 PM
While Rings is sick it doesn't directly combo with Coffers. Rings doesn't copy mana abilities, still it's good with so many other cards. Maybe you can throw in Basalt Monolith if you want to abuse infinite mana a bit more.

Rings copies the Deserted Temple ability to untap itself and Coffers. As long as Coffers taps for more than five mana, it goes infinite.

xXxBretWeedxXx
01-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Rings copies the Deserted Temple ability to untap itself and Coffers. As long as Coffers taps for more than five mana, it goes infinite.

Oh I know, I was the one that went off with it last night and gave him the idea. I was responding to this :

Plus rings + Coffers by itself its insane.

Bryant Cook
01-06-2010, 09:21 AM
I went infinite last night after I was about to lose the game. I didn't lose.

Onto things with more of a point. I added Thawing Glaciers and Terrain Generator, they're incredible lands. However it brings me down to 28 Swamps. I'm a little uncomfortable with this, these are the non basics...

Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth - Not getting cut.
Terrain Generator - More than one land a turn seems like it would be worth it.
Thawing Glaciers - Amazing.
Wasteland - I could probably cut one of these.
Stripmine - I could probably cut one of these.
Reilquary Tower - Amazing.
Volrath's Stronghold - I've never once used this.
Vesuva - Coffers?
Cabal Coffers - Vesuva? Not getting cut.
Bosieju, Who Shelters All - Never once have I used it but I feel like it'll be worth it someday.
Petrified Field - Could be cut, but I'd have to add crucible to recur Coffers. Crucible would require fetchlands.
Deserted Temple - Coffers?

Eatatjoes
01-06-2010, 04:07 PM
I dropped petrified field a long time ago, and put in crucible. I didnt like the one shot use of the field, and crucible is to good with strip/waste, and i play deathcloud as a reset button if a couple players get threatening. What would be a safe number of basics if we went the fetchland route? Its really good to hit your land drop every turn.

Sims
01-16-2010, 11:14 PM
Maga takes a game of 4-way chaos vs. Scion of the ur-Dragon, Jhoira, and Kamahl, fist of Green.

Long game, but good effin times.

badjuju
01-17-2010, 02:49 AM
Maga takes a game of 4-way chaos vs. Scion of the ur-Dragon, Jhoira, and Kamahl, fist of Green.

Long game, but good effin times.

Care to enlighten on a few details? ^_^

Sims
01-17-2010, 10:19 AM
Game took like 3 hours... Mostly my fault. Early game we were sitting under an arcane lab from the zur player and I was abusing the power of Necropotence and Lilliana Vess to whittle peoples hands down and keep mine full until the lab was gone. Post Lab, people started playing out their hands and I kept them in check with Mutliate and Decree. I think the lowest my life got from a few beat ins from other players small critters and my own Necro was about 14 life. Grim Discovery was clutch in getting Coffers back after a strip mine, though it got stripped again later on..... really it's hard to describe this game cause it was essentially 1 mana screwed Zur (my fault, Helldozer and Strip Mine do that), a scion of the ur Dragon that when he finally got his general active I had Staff of Domination for him, and a kamahl player who had his general killed so many times that it was going to cost him 12 mana for it... and he had sac'd animated lands to a mycoloth that ended up dying anyways.... I just played board control, only casting my sweepers when things really started to get scary, and ultimately (on 17 lands with urborg) found demonic tutor -> yawg's will. Re-Played coffers, generated obscene mana with that and deserted temple (no rings though :(), replayed tutor for mirari, corrput + mirari to kill 1 player. Temporal Extortion + Mirari and a draw spell into another tutor to find myself a consume spirit.... it didn't get exciting til the end.

badjuju
01-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Game took like 3 hours... Mostly my fault. Early game we were sitting under an arcane lab from the zur player and I was abusing the power of Necropotence and Lilliana Vess to whittle peoples hands down and keep mine full until the lab was gone. Post Lab, people started playing out their hands and I kept them in check with Mutliate and Decree. I think the lowest my life got from a few beat ins from other players small critters and my own Necro was about 14 life. Grim Discovery was clutch in getting Coffers back after a strip mine, though it got stripped again later on..... really it's hard to describe this game cause it was essentially 1 mana screwed Zur (my fault, Helldozer and Strip Mine do that), a scion of the ur Dragon that when he finally got his general active I had Staff of Domination for him, and a kamahl player who had his general killed so many times that it was going to cost him 12 mana for it... and he had sac'd animated lands to a mycoloth that ended up dying anyways.... I just played board control, only casting my sweepers when things really started to get scary, and ultimately (on 17 lands with urborg) found demonic tutor -> yawg's will. Re-Played coffers, generated obscene mana with that and deserted temple (no rings though :(), replayed tutor for mirari, corrput + mirari to kill 1 player. Temporal Extortion + Mirari and a draw spell into another tutor to find myself a consume spirit.... it didn't get exciting til the end.

That's awesome!
I haven't been running with temporal extortion or yawg will, but then again I play Xiahou Dun now.

Sims
01-17-2010, 06:36 PM
is your Xiahou Dun list on this forum somewhere so I can get an idea of where to go? I picked one up today and I'm trying to decide if i switch from Maga to Xiahou what in the deck needs to shift.

badjuju
01-19-2010, 04:00 PM
is your Xiahou Dun list on this forum somewhere so I can get an idea of where to go? I picked one up today and I'm trying to decide if i switch from Maga to Xiahou what in the deck needs to shift.

My list is in the other Xiahou Dun thread (which is still on this page).

He really is ridiculous - more so than Maga imo. My opponents cannot keep their generals on the table for the life of them, and if they let me resolve one of my recursion enchantments, it'll be a really rough battle for them. When the time comes, you can just go nuts with him and keep returning drains or tutors to finish the job. Where as Maga is good for ending the game, Xiahou Dun is ALWAYS good.

I'm always looking for ways to improve the list, so go ahead and chime in with your thoughts in that thread.

EDIT: ALso a lot of the time I always think about tutoring for a cool combo, but then I just tutor for Sorin or Twist and end the game lolool. They can't counter Xiahou Dun forever!!! Tutoring for a recursion effect is just as good, but only in mutliplayer where you have time to continuously sac him to re-tutor for other things. That said, I should probably be running Grim Tutor. Not as big a fan of Imperial Seal or Cruel Tutor though.

Against bad decks you can just tutor for Hatred and win the next turn.

Koby
01-21-2010, 04:16 AM
@Yesmilord:

When I'm back in the OC, we're going to have a headsup Monoblack matchup to see who's got the more pimp deck. No proxies allowed!

badjuju
01-22-2010, 02:15 AM
@Yesmilord:

When I'm back in the OC, we're going to have a headsup Monoblack matchup to see who's got the more pimp deck. No proxies allowed!

I think I already win unless your deck is all foil too. Then it'll be a battle for altered cards!

JonBarber
01-26-2010, 05:03 PM
Bryant, whats your current decklist looking like now?

Bryant Cook
01-26-2010, 05:37 PM

30x Swamp
1x Thawing Glaciers
1x Wasteland
1x Reliquary Tower
1x Volrath's Stronghold
1x Cabal Coffers
1x Deserted Temple
1x Petrified Field
1x Vesuva
1x Terrain Generator
1x Expedition Map
1x Journeyer's Kite
1x Extraplanar Lens
1x Doubling Cube
1x Gauntlet of Power

1x Withered Wretch
1x Gatekeeper of Malakir
1x Fleshbag Marauder
1x Shriekmaw
1x Graveborn Muse
1x Korlash, Heir to Blackblade
1x Crypt Rats
1x Magus of the Coffers
1x Reiver Demon

1x Vampiric Tutor
1x Demonic Tutor
1x Diabolic Tutor
1x Beseech the Queen
1x Sensei's Divining Top

1x Skeletal Scrying
1x Night's Whisper
1x Sign in Blood
1x Phyrexian Arena
1x Necropotence
1x Ambition's Cost
1x Ancient Craving
1x Promise of Power
1x Staff of Domination
1x Mind's Eye

1x Innocent Blood
1x Chainer’s Edict
1x Barter in Blood
1x Phythisis

1x Syphon Mind
1x Mind Twist
1x Mind Shatter
1x Mind Sludge
1x Cabal Conditioning

1x Grim Discovery
1x Beacon of Unrest
1x Nightmare Incursion
1x Sadistic Sacrament
1x Mirari
1x Rings of Brightearth
1x Altar of Shadows

1x Drain Life
1x Consume Spirit
1x Profane Command
1x Corrupt

1x Mutilate
1x Damnation
1x Oblivion Stone
1x Nevinyrral's Disk
1x Dregs of Sorrow
1x Decree of Pain

1x Liliana Vess
1x Sorin Markov

The bosieju is going to become the new crypt land.

Bryant Cook
02-11-2010, 11:21 PM
Is there any cards in the new set worth playing?

DuxDucis
02-13-2010, 04:41 AM
Everflowing Chalice ??

badjuju
02-13-2010, 05:36 AM
Everflowing Chalice ??

Resounding meh, considering that many of our drain life spells require the use of pure black mana.

Bryant Cook
02-13-2010, 08:33 AM
Resounding meh, considering that many of our drain life spells require the use of pure black mana.

What he said, only thing I've found is the Bog. Which has gone into 3 of my EDH decks. That land is tits.

Bryant Cook
02-14-2010, 03:54 PM
I need to add Yawgmoth's Will to the deck. Right now I don't know what to cut, at the moment it's Nightmare Incursion. Any thoughts?

badjuju
02-14-2010, 04:51 PM
If there's still a lot of geddon/combo in your area, I wouldn't cut it. If anything, Cabal Conditioning was cut from my list a long time ago - the card just makes too many enemies.

Bryant Cook
02-14-2010, 05:28 PM
If I was to cut a discard spell it'd be Syphon Mind. Card is terrible a lot of the time. I can't think of too many times its drawn me 3 or more. Most of the time it's draw 1-2.

badjuju
02-14-2010, 05:43 PM
If I was to cut a discard spell it'd be Syphon Mind. Card is terrible a lot of the time. I can't think of too many times its drawn me 3 or more. Most of the time it's draw 1-2.

Or that. I've found Syphon Mind pretty underwhelming too.

Koby
02-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Bitter Ordeal is pretty bonkers with Xiahuo shenanigans after Damnation or a Black Myojin activation. I would directly replace it with Nightmare Incursion.

Surging Chaos
02-21-2010, 03:27 PM
Bitter Ordeal does not work with the black Myojin, as Gravestorm cares about permanents that hit the graveyard. So something like Damnation/Mutilate/O-Stone/Disk is golden with Bitter Ordeal, but not with the black Myojin.

I like Sadistic Sacrament as my weapon of choice for pre-emptive removal. Early game, it's a Jester's Cap for 3 mana, and late game it completely maims someone.

Bryant Cook
02-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Bitter Ordeal is weak. Being forced to kill things in order to remove cards from the game seems too situational to be useful.

JonBarber
03-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Two things I've been a fan of are Tainted Aether and Black Vise. First turn black vise sets you up as an immediate annoyance, but its such a great way to suck life from opponents. My meta is very aggro heavy, so Tainted Aether really works well to help slow things down giving me more time to ramp mana. Thoughts?

badjuju
03-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Two things I've been a fan of are Tainted Aether and Black Vise. First turn black vise sets you up as an immediate annoyance, but its such a great way to suck life from opponents. My meta is very aggro heavy, so Tainted Aether really works well to help slow things down giving me more time to ramp mana. Thoughts?

Totally dude. Run all of the annoying enchantments - man am I jealous that you have an aggro meta. Off the top of my head...

Tainted AEther
No Mercy
Pestilence
Call to the Grave
The Abyss
Kuon, Ogre Descendant / Kuon's Essence
Gravepact
Lethal Vapors

Hissing Miasma
Black Market
Contamination

swarm187
03-19-2010, 11:39 AM
I agree with Yesmilord:

Lethal Vapors allows you to cast Maga multiple times in one turn. If you're generating tons of mana, like you should be, multiple huge Magas every turn is disgusting.

You definitely need Yawgmoth's Will in here, and No Mercy is a multi-player must have in Mono-Black.

I would also consider the following cards, all of which are in my Mono-Black Maga EDH:
Plague Spitter- Hoses elves and other swarmy-aggro decks.
Gate to Phyrexia/Phyrexian Tribute- Both of these get rid of artifacts, which black has a real hard time with.
Promise of Power- This gives you a little flexibility and power.

Hope these help!

Bryant Cook
03-21-2010, 03:16 PM
I agree with Yesmilord:

Lethal Vapors allows you to cast Maga multiple times in one turn. If you're generating tons of mana, like you should be, multiple huge Magas every turn is disgusting.

You definitely need Yawgmoth's Will in here, and No Mercy is a multi-player must have in Mono-Black.

I would also consider the following cards, all of which are in my Mono-Black Maga EDH:
Plague Spitter- Hoses elves and other swarmy-aggro decks.
Gate to Phyrexia/Phyrexian Tribute- Both of these get rid of artifacts, which black has a real hard time with.
Promise of Power- This gives you a little flexibility and power.

Hope these help!

Lethal Vapors isn't needed to kill your own Maga. You have enough ways to kill creatures on your own, I won a 6 person game last weekend after going infinite mana in one turn and killing my own Maga a bunch. You just need to not have 0 cards in hand. Without infinite mana, you don't need to kill Maga, she can attack for lethal too.

I agree on Yawgmoth's Will.

The creature enchantments: Pestilence, No Mercy, Abyss, ect... There aren't enough creature based decks that I play against where I find these to be acceptable. There might be near you, if there are, have fun winning every game.

The artifact destroying cards: How often do you have two creatures in play that you don't need? I only run 10 or so. I never want them to just die either.

Promise of Power: Who isn't running this? It's been a staple for a while.

Bryant Cook
04-10-2010, 03:43 PM
Nirkana Revenant 4bb
Creature - Vampire Shade 4/4 Mythic Rare
Whenever you tap a Swamp for mana, add {B} to your mana pool. (In addition to the mana the land produces)
{B}: Nirkana Revenant gets +1/+1 until end of turn.

Pestilence Demon 5bbb
Creature - Demon 7/6 Rare
Flying
{B}: Pestilence Demon deals 1 damage to each creature and each player.

Suffer the Past* xb
Instant Uncommon
Exile X target cards from target player's graveyard. For each card you exiled this way, that player loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.

Cards to look at. I'm unsure of what would be cut to add these, but these are all solid additions.

Bryant Cook
05-21-2010, 03:43 PM
Maga, Traitor to Mortals

30 Swamp
1 Thawing Glaciers
1 Wasteland
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Volrath's Stronghold
1 Cabal Coffers
1 Deserted Temple
1 Petrified Field
1 Vesuva
1 Terrain Generator
1 Expedition Map
1 Extraplanar Lens
1 Doubling Cube
1 Gauntlet of Power

1 Withered Wretch
1 Gatekeeper of Malakir
1 Fleshbag Marauder
1 Shriekmaw
1 Graveborn Muse
1 Korlash, Heir to Blackblade
1 Crypt Rats
1 Nirkana Revenant
1 Pestilence Demon

1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Diabolic Tutor
1 Beseech the Queen
1 Sensei's Divining Top

1 Skeletal Scrying
1 Night's Whisper
1 Sign in Blood
1 Phyrexian Arena
1 Necropotence
1 Ambition's Cost
1 Ancient Craving
1 Promise of Power
1 Staff of Domination
1 Mind's Eye

1 Innocent Blood
1 Chainer’s Edict
1 Barter in Blood
1 Consuming Vapors
1 Phythisis

1 Mind Twist
1 Mind Shatter
1 Mind Sludge
1 Cabal Conditioning

1 Grim Discovery
1 Beacon of Unrest
1 Yawgmoth’s Will
1 Sadistic Sacrament
1 Mirari
1 Rings of Brightearth
1 Altar of Shadows

1 Drain Life
1 Consume Spirit
1 Profane Command
1 Tendrils of Corruption
1 Corrupt
1 Suffer the Past

1 Mutilate
1 Damnation
1 Oblivion Stone
1 Nevinyrral's Disk
1 Dregs of Sorrow
1 Decree of Pain

1 Liliana Vess
1 Sorin Markov

New list

swarm187
06-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Baneful Omen- has anyone else tried this card out? It's been awesome for me in testing, although it's never a card I'd tutor for. I've also had alot of fun with Suffer the Past, but there's a lot of reanimator-type decks where I play.

I've also decided to maindeck Virtue's Ruin because almost every single deck around here runs at least a little white. Perish is also a thought, but these are purely based on your meta, obviously.

Bryant Cook- I use Gate to Phyrexia in the deck because there are a lot of nasty artifacts in EDH decks around this area. Black really doesn't have a way to deal with artifacts, and if it's something really nasty like Lifeline or Pithing Needle, that can be GG pretty quickly. Surprisingly, although I run more creatures than most of the lists in the thread, my low creature count isn't normally effected by Gates drawback...mostly because I don't really care if my creatures die, especially Maga.

Bryant Cook
06-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Baneful Omen in a deck with 40+ lands? I don't like the idea of this card at all to be honest. I haven't played it, but it just seems terrible.

Suffer the Past is always good. Most mono-black decks play it, I do.

Perish/Nature's Ruin - Too narrow for me too be honest. I don't metagame for EDH. I just build my best well rounded deck.

I run Disk and O-Stone for Artifacts/Enchantments. I rarely have two dudes in play that I'm willing to sacrifice to kill an artifact. I probably play fewer guys than you.

Nightmare
06-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Gate to Phyrexia only makes you sacrifice one guy. You're thinking of Phyrexian Tribute.

Bryant Cook
06-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Gate to Phyrexia only makes you sacrifice one guy. You're thinking of Phyrexian Tribute.

Whoops. Maybe I should actually look at the cards in the links.

Regardless, I dislike the card. Your opponents are there to kill enchantments.

swarm187
06-04-2010, 03:19 PM
Like I said, Gate to Phyrexia is a meta choice, so we can agree to disagree. :)

What do you guys think of Emissary of Despair? I ran across this card while going through some of my old junk and it seems like a solid card in EDH. In my EDH community here, there are TONS of artifacts around, and this little lady begs to be taken care of as soon as she's put on the table.
I've also considered running Oubliette for the O-Ring type effect, and maybe even Guardian Beast. The more I look at lists here, the more I see that my build is much different in make-up but the same in overall gameplan. Guardian Beast is a great example of a card that would work great in my deck but might not make the cut in other Maga Control builds.

Also, why no Grim Tutor? Seems like a lock for this type of deck.

Bryant Cook
06-04-2010, 11:54 PM
Honestly? It's a white boarded card that doesn't come foil and costs a bunch of money.

sligh16
06-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Why playing wasteland over strip mine?, and no sol ring?

Bryant Cook
06-06-2010, 11:20 PM
That's a change that was made a long time ago but have just missed it in the decklist.

Sol Ring is not an auto staple in every EDH Deck. This is a slow control deck. Its strength it's lands, it thrives off swamps, it doesn't need to accelerate into anything. This deck would be better off playing Wayfarer's Bauble over Sol Ring.

swarm187
06-07-2010, 01:28 PM
Wow, Bryant. In regards to Grim Tutor, that might be the most honest response to a Magic-related question I've ever heard. :) I can appreciate that. My deck is about 98% foil, with the exception of the cards that cannot be foiled and some whacky stuff like Braids.

Anyways, after much debate, I've decided to post my list. I know it will get picked apart, but it's discussion fodder and maybe someone will find a nugget that they might enjoy. My list is Artifact and Creature heavy, mostly because that type of build fits my play-style more than a straight control build. I'll get into some of the cards choices later in the post.

Here's the list:

Creatures:
Abyssal Persecutor
Big Game Hunter
Braids, Cabal Minion
Dusk Urchins
Emissary of Despair
Kagemaro, First to Suffer
Korlash, Heir to Blackblade
Gatekeeper of Malakir
Graveborn Muse
Guardian Beast
Midnight Banshee
Nezumi Graverobber
Nirkana Revenant
Vampire Hexmage
Vampire Nighthawk

Instants/Sorceries:
Barter In Blood
Beseech the Queen
Bubbling Muck
Chainer's Edict
Consume the Meek
Consume Spirit
Damnation
Death Cloud
Decree of Pain
Demonic Tutor
Diabolic Edict
Grim Tutor
Insidious Dreams
Mutilate
Night's Whisper
Profane Command
Sadistic Sacrament
Sign in Blood
Slaughter Pact
Smother
Sudden Death
Sudden Spoiling
Suffer the Past
Terror
Vampiric Tutor
Yawgmoth's Will

Enchantments:
Baneful Omen
Gate to Phyrexia
Lethal Vapors
Leyline of the Void
No Mercy
Oubliette
Phyrexian Arena
Underworld Dreams

Artifacts:
Crucible of Worlds
Extraplanar Lens
Gauntlet of Power
Gilded Lotus
Helm of Obedience
Kill Switch
Jester's Cap
Nevinyrral's Disk
Oblivion Stone
Pithing Needle
Sensei's Divining Top
Smokestack
Solemn Simulacrum
Sol Ring
Vedalken Orrery

Planeswalkers:
Liliana Vess
Sorin Markov

General:
Maga, Traitor to Mortals

Lands:
Ancient Tomb
Bojuka Bog
Cabal Coffers
Dark Depths
Lake of the Dead
Strip Mine
Vesuva
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Volrath's Stronghold
25x Swamps

So, here is the rationale behind some of weirder card choices:
Emissary of Despair- This card is just rotten in my play group. A lot of the EDH decks I see use artifacts heavily and this little lady makes them pay. She also soaks up a lot of spot removal due to the damage she can potentially have to one's life total. She's strictly a meta call, but for me, she's awesome. She almost always turns into a 4/3 flyer for 3, which is pretty strong.

Guardian Beast- Again a meta choice, but the protection this guy provides is amazing. The most common ways to get rid of artifacts is through general board-sweepers like O-Stone and Disk. That being said, Guardian Beast protects all of my artifacts through mass-removal of that type and keeping a Gauntlet/Orrery/Lotus/Helm/etc. or all of them, on the board after someone pops Disk or Stone is unbelievably strong.

Nezumi Graverobber- If you play this guy early against most EDH decks, he's super powerful. If he comes down mid-game or late, he takes some work to really abuse his potential. Either way I feel like he's worth a try. Unless you're playing against some type of reanimator or recursive deck, he is usually flipped within a turn or two, making him a big threat to any deck running creatures. Since most of the rest of this build is made to keep the board clear and creatures in the graveyard, Graverobber can be a real asset once he's flipped.

Leyline of the Void/ Helm of Obedience combo- I'm not sure if there is a more explosive combo available in mono-back EDH. You instantly shut off reanimator strategies, you mill a ton of cards with the ridiculous amounts of mana you can generate, and they get milled to NOWHERE. They literally get removed from the game, unable to come back even if your combo is broken, disrupted, or destroyed after you use it. It's so sick to watch your opponent removing 10-15 cards from the game every turn, with no recourse.

Gate to Phyrexia- I've already discussed this one earlier in the thread, but bloack has almost no way to deal with artifacts. This provides an option.

Oubliette- Oblivion Ring is strong for a lot of reasons. I know Oubliette only hits creatures, which makes it fundamentally weaker than O-Ring, but it still removes it from the game and it's still an enchantment. It's just another type of answer to aggro strategies.

Dark Depths/Vampire Hexmage combo- Why not run this? I's an instant speed 20/20 indestructible flying creature. That's pretty good.

Sudden Spoiling- I feel like I constantly have to defend this card to other players, but it really is amazing in this type of format. With all the crazy creatures that get played in EDH and all of the ridiculous plays that can find you facing a swarm of swinging fatties, this card is an indispensible part of my control strategy. Even if it's just to get rid of ONE Akroma, Sphinx, or Progenitus, it's worth it.

Some cards that are always "on the bubble":
Bubbling Muck- This card can sometimes win the game for you in one turn, but it's weak just as much as it is strong. It's never a dead draw when you can sink the extra resources into a huge Maga, Helm of Obedience, or Profane Command, but it seems weak at times. I don't run a lot of mana-ramping spells for this reason, but this one seemed like the best out of the lot.

Sol Ring- I agree with Bryant to a certain degree, because late game, this thing sucks. If you get it early enough, it can really help in my build, mostly because I have a lot of 4cc stuff that has 2 colorless in the casting cost. I'm on the fence with this card though, since most of the time it's underwhelming.

Insidious Dreams- I don't really like this card, but the alternative that I see in most peoples' lists is Dregs of Sorrow, which I like even less. I took Dregs out awhile back because it seemed like I could never cast it as early as I needed to. Likewise, I always seem to draw into Dreams when I have a hand stocked with stuff I want to keep. If someone has a better draw spell/library fixer, please let me know. How has Skeletal Scrying been working for you, Bryant?

So, there's my list. I would love some feedback as long as it's constructive. I am far from a Magic pro, and these forums are to help people build better decks. Hopefully the comments can help me to make this one better.

swarm187
06-09-2010, 03:32 PM
Cards that I'm currently testing in my deck:

Deserted Temple
Yixlid Jailer
Grim Discovery
Fleshbag Marauder

Bryant Cook
06-21-2010, 10:28 AM
With the banning of Staff of Domination. I've added Jet Medallion, I don't know why I wasn't playing it before.

I'm also now playing All is Dust over Altar of Shadows.

FakeSpam
06-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Pestilence Demon 5bbb
Creature - Demon 7/6 Rare
Flying
{B}: Pestilence Demon deals 1 damage to each creature and each player.

If you are considering Pestilence Demon, think about Thrashing Wumpus. It's still pestilence on a stick, but the wumpus comes down a lot faster. In the situations that you would want to use a pestilence effect, the speed is important.

That, and you get to say 'wump, wump' when you activate it.

Preemptive Edit:

Yes, I realize that a 3/3 isn't a 7/6 flier. 5 mana also isn't 8 mana.

Bryant Cook
06-22-2010, 12:10 AM
If you are considering Pestilence Demon, think about Thrashing Wumpus. It's still pestilence on a stick, but the wumpus comes down a lot faster. In the situations that you would want to use a pestilence effect, the speed is important.

That, and you get to say 'wump, wump' when you activate it.

Preemptive Edit:

Yes, I realize that a 3/3 isn't a 7/6 flier. 5 mana also isn't 8 mana.

I could add him over Shriekmaw. He never seems to do much anyway. I'll look into it.

bakofried
06-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Have you guys thought about a possible snow manabase? You'd be able to run another CA engine with Top+Sheets, and you could get recurring removal with Mouth of Ronom via Crucible or Grim Discovery.

Bryant Cook
06-23-2010, 06:13 PM
I have and I already have a deck that abuses the snow engine. I don't want two decks doing the same thing all the time. Plus I already have the manabase completely foil, who wants to go and get 35 Foil Snow-Covered Swamps? I already have 30 Snow-Covered Mountains.

That and...Black has plenty of ways to draw cards. You don't need Sheets/Top.

JonBarber
06-23-2010, 06:18 PM
I have and I already have a deck that abuses the snow engine. I don't want two decks doing the same thing all the time. Plus I already have the manabase completely foil, who wants to go and get 35 Foil Snow-Covered Swamps? I already have 30 Snow-Covered Mountains.

That and...Black has plenty of ways to draw cards. You don't need Sheets/Top.

Haha, the first thing that came to my mind was "I already have foil odyssey swamps, I don't want to find snow covered ones..."

fusionshogun
07-02-2010, 04:39 AM
Might as well post my list here too. Cards I'm surprised not to see in lists so far include Ashes to Ashes and Infernal Darkness.

1 Maga, Traitor to Mortals

26 Snow-Covered Swamp
1 Cabal Coffers
1 Vesuva
1 Shizo, Death's Storehouse
1 Strip Mine
1 Wasteland
1 Tectonic Edge
1 Mouth of Ronom
1 Volrath's Stronghold
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Thawing Glaciers
1 Petrified Field

1 Mana Crypt
1 Sol Ring
1 Mana Vault
1 Grim Monolith
1 Coldsteel Heart
1 Coalition Relic
1 Darksteel Ingot
1 Gauntlet of Power
1 Gilded Lotus
1 Extraplanar Lens

1 Reiver Demon
1 Chainer, Dementia Master
1 Nirkana Revenant
1 Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni
1 Butcher of Malakir
1 Avatar of Woe
1 Crypt Rats
1 Phage, the Untouchable
1 Herald of Leshrac
1 Nezumi Graverobber

1 Phyrexian Arena
1 Ambition's Cost
1 Ancient Craving
1 Necropotence
1 Necrolagia
1 Promise of Power
1 Skeletal Scrying
1 Night's Whisper
1 Sign in Blood
1 Syphon Mind

1 Damnation
1 Decree of Pain
1 Barter in Blood
1 Forced March
1 Death Cloud
1 Innocent Blood
1 Sudden Death
1 Sudden Spoiling
1 Mutilate
1 Ashes to Ashes
1 Rend Flesh
1 Eyeblight's Ending
1 Altar of Shadows

1 Demonic Tutor
1 Grim Tutor
1 Demonic Collusion
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Cruel Tutor
1 Diabolic Tutor
1 Insidious Dreams
1 Expedition Map

1 The Abyss
1 Enslave
1 Oblivion Stone
1 Beacon of Unrest
1 Infernal Darkness
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Mind's Eye

1 Sorin Markov
1 Liliana Vess

Bryant Cook
08-18-2010, 04:30 PM
New List. It's been awesome.

Maga, Traitor to Mortals

32 Swamp
1 Stripmine
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Terrain Generator
1 Cabal Coffers
1 Deserted Temple
1 Petrified Field
1 Vesuva
1 Expedition Map
1 Wayfarer’s Bauble
1 Armillary Sphere
1 Doubling Cube
1 Jet Medallion
1 Extraplanar Lens
1 Gauntlet of Power

1 Fleshbag Marauder
1 Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief
1 Graveborn Muse
1 Nirkana Revenant
1 Pestilence Demon
1 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
1 Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Skred Memory
1 Diabolic Tutor
1 Beseech the Queen
1 Demonic Collusion

1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Crystal Ball
1 Skeletal Scrying
1 Night's Whisper
1 Sign in Blood
1 Phyrexian Arena
1 Necropotence
1 Ambition's Cost
1 Ancient Craving
1 Mind's Eye

1 Innocent Blood
1 Chainer’s Edict
1 Small Pox
1 Barter in Blood
1 Phythisis

1 Mind Twist
1 Mind Shatter
1 Mind Sludge
1 Cabal Conditioning

1 Grim Discovery
1 Beacon of Unrest
1 Yawgmoth’s Will
1 Sadistic Sacrament
1 Rings of Brightearth

1 Drain Life
1 Consume Spirit
1 Profane Command
1 Corrupt

1 Mutilate
1 Damnation
1 Oblivion Stone
1 Nevinyrral's Disk
1 All is Dust
1 Dregs of Sorrow
1 Decree of Pain

1 Liliana Vess
1 Sorin Markov

abraxas
08-20-2010, 08:11 AM
What are everyone and their playgroups' thoughts on Sorin Markov?
A significant amount of people at my LGS detest Sorin Markov and his second ability -- while meanwhile liking effects that are on the same level as "douchey" or "cheap" (recurring slaver, Sundering Titan, Woodfall Primus, etc).

I don't play 1v1 for the most part -- mostly FFA multiplayer EDH.

I'm too lazy to post my decklist at the moment, but here's a few comments:

Insidious Dreams is too slow and almost always a card I don't want in my hand unless I have a huge hand + huge draw spell, or excess lands to pitch for it.....I'm thinking about taking it out, but I'm not sure for what.

Pestilence Demon >>>> Thrashing Wumpus because with the demon you can do 5 damage to everything each turn it's in play w/o it dying. Wumpus is just a small upgrade from Crypt Rats. Sure the Demon is expensive, but with so many mana generators and doublers, along with already a significant amount of board removal and spot removal/sacrifice effects, the Demon's cost is negligible.

Anyone test out Phyrexian Etchings and Scroll Rack? While I use Crystal Ball (on top of Sensei's Divining Top) and Memory Jar currently, I think these might be a better fit. I have Necropotence too, but Phyrexian Etchings seems like a great card to draw from. I can't imagine it getting out of hand for too long as, like Phyrexian Arena, these enchantments create a target for your opponent and Oblivion Stone/All Is Dust/Nevinyrral's Disk help out too.

My friend who plays Omnath recommended me Gate to Phyrexia more recently. One of Maga's weekpoints can be Voltron decks that utilize a ton of Equipment/Artifacts that are timed well (ie. not rushed onto the field all early before o stone & disk are cracked). While MBC EDH decks don't run many creatures, it seems like having a sac effect for Maga aside from Lethal Vapor's natural destroy effect, might be worth testing.

I had Phthisis in my deck for awhile, but I never seem to see it enough when I want to (against Omnath, Kresh, huge general type decks). I think Barter in Blood is better at this point....

I don't think running too many Eldrazi is a great decision in Maga either. Even with Death Cloud, Boseiju, and Mishra's Helix, defeating a Mono-Blue deck is pretty difficult; letting them Bribery an Emrakul and a host of other Eldrazis is only salt on the open wound. I personally just run Ulamog. Spot-removal that's specific helps mono-B a ton, as well as the indestructible.

Armillary Sphere > Journeyer's Kite. Kite is too slow and gets killed after a few uses quickly, depending on the meta.

& finally, what's all of you guys' opinions on Equipment? While I was a fan of Loxodon Warhammer at first, I never really needed it to pull out wins. It was sort of win-more, and if I ever needed to gain life ASAP, Warhammer was too slow and I'd rather use a drain life-esque spell. It has a cool interaction with Pestilence Demon, but other than that....meh. I'm going to test out running Lightning Greaves in my deck instead, to protect/speed up Nirkana Revanant, Maga, and Ulamog. Not sure if it'll be anything more than temporary.

ooooh, I forgot. For all the doubters: Sudden Death is an AMAZING card.
Azami? DEAD.
Gaddock Teag? DEAD.
...along with a host of other generals you can kill w/o letting your opponents' respond. It MIGHT ....just MIGHT.... be a meta choice though. So I could understand the critique, perhaps.

Bryant Cook
08-20-2010, 12:41 PM
What are everyone and their playgroups' thoughts on Sorin Markov?
A significant amount of people at my LGS detest Sorin Markov and his second ability -- while meanwhile liking effects that are on the same level as "douchey" or "cheap" (recurring slaver, Sundering Titan, Woodfall Primus, etc).

I don't play 1v1 for the most part -- mostly FFA multiplayer EDH.
I play in a very cut throat group, where Maga is considered my worst deck. “Doushey” things are fine where I play.

I'm too lazy to post my decklist at the moment, but here's a few comments:

Insidious Dreams is too slow and almost always a card I don't want in my hand unless I have a huge hand + huge draw spell, or excess lands to pitch for it.....I'm thinking about taking it out, but I'm not sure for what.

Pestilence Demon >>>> Thrashing Wumpus because with the demon you can do 5 damage to everything each turn it's in play w/o it dying. Wumpus is just a small upgrade from Crypt Rats. Sure the Demon is expensive, but with so many mana generators and doublers, along with already a significant amount of board removal and spot removal/sacrifice effects, the Demon's cost is negligible.
I agree that Insidious dreams sucks, it’s why it’s not in my list. I’ve found that Demonic Collusion isn’t that bad, the buyback makes it a much better card. I cut Crypt Rats from my list in order to keep Pestilence Demon, that guy is ridiculous. As is Drana if you’re not playing her.

Anyone test out Phyrexian Etchings and Scroll Rack? While I use Crystal Ball (on top of Sensei's Divining Top) and Memory Jar currently, I think these might be a better fit. I have Necropotence too, but Phyrexian Etchings seems like a great card to draw from. I can't imagine it getting out of hand for too long as, like Phyrexian Arena, these enchantments create a target for your opponent and Oblivion Stone/All Is Dust/Nevinyrral's Disk help out too. Etchings seems too risky to me. I’m not a fan of the giant drain of life that happens when it dies. I considered Scroll Rack, the problem is we don’t have a recurring shuffling effect making it kind of weak.

My friend who plays Omnath recommended me Gate to Phyrexia more recently. One of Maga's weekpoints can be Voltron decks that utilize a ton of Equipment/Artifacts that are timed well (ie. not rushed onto the field all early before o stone & disk are cracked). While MBC EDH decks don't run many creatures, it seems like having a sac effect for Maga aside from Lethal Vapor's natural destroy effect, might be worth testing.

I had Phthisis in my deck for awhile, but I never seem to see it enough when I want to (against Omnath, Kresh, huge general type decks). I think Barter in Blood is better at this point.... I’m not worried about artifacts. There’s other players at the table. At the same time as you said earlier we have Disk/O-stone/ All is Dust (Enchantments) for troublesome things.

Phthisis is amazing. It’s awesome against huge generals and Eldrazi. I’ve also had people take my maga, Phthisis on it killed them. I also run Barter in Blood.

I don't think running too many Eldrazi is a great decision in Maga either. Even with Death Cloud, Boseiju, and Mishra's Helix, defeating a Mono-Blue deck is pretty difficult; letting them Bribery an Emrakul and a host of other Eldrazis is only salt on the open wound. I personally just run Ulamog. Spot-removal that's specific helps mono-B a ton, as well as the indestructible. I thought that too at first. However, we have enough “each player sacrifice” effects in order to negate Bribery. The advantage of playing them is much greater than the disadvantage of not having them. Want to know what beats blue decks? 15 mana and Emrakul.

Armillary Sphere > Journeyer's Kite. Kite is too slow and gets killed after a few uses quickly, depending on the meta. Agreed.

& finally, what's all of you guys' opinions on Equipment? While I was a fan of Loxodon Warhammer at first, I never really needed it to pull out wins. It was sort of win-more, and if I ever needed to gain life ASAP, Warhammer was too slow and I'd rather use a drain life-esque spell. It has a cool interaction with Pestilence Demon, but other than that....meh. I'm going to test out running Lightning Greaves in my deck instead, to protect/speed up Nirkana Revanant, Maga, and Ulamog. Not sure if it'll be anything more than temporary.

ooooh, I forgot. For all the doubters: Sudden Death is an AMAZING card.
Azami? DEAD.
Gaddock Teag? DEAD.
...along with a host of other generals you can kill w/o letting your opponents' respond. It MIGHT ....just MIGHT.... be a meta choice though. So I could understand the critique, perhaps.

There’s not enough creatures to justify equipment, at least not in my list. I don’t think they’re necessary.

Sudden Death: eh. -4/-4 doesn’t seem that impressive to me.

Bryant Cook
09-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Exsanguinate xbb
Sorcery Uncommon
Each opponent loses X life. you gain life equal to the amount lost this way.

bakofried
09-29-2010, 01:18 AM
Hey Bryant, got anything your testing out lately?

Bryant Cook
09-29-2010, 01:11 PM
Not really. I won't be playing magic regularly for awhile.

Sims
09-30-2010, 12:02 PM
Not really. I won't be playing magic regularly for awhile.

College sucks sometimes, doesn't it?

abraxas
09-30-2010, 11:19 PM
I'm going to test Grafted Exoskeleton as an alt win con in my Maga deck. You usually want Maga as large as possible when you bring him out (hell you don't even need to use him to win with this deck), so getting him to 8+ is real easy. With the skeleton, one swing that's unblocked kills your opponent.

I'm thinking about testing Prototype Portal as well. I've used Sculpting Steel before, and the Portal just looks like it can get out of hand if left unchecked.

xXxBretWeedxXx
10-01-2010, 10:45 AM
I'm going to test Grafted Exoskeleton as an alt win con in my Maga deck. You usually want Maga as large as possible when you bring him out (hell you don't even need to use him to win with this deck), so getting him to 8+ is real easy. With the skeleton, one swing that's unblocked kills your opponent.

I'm thinking about testing Prototype Portal as well. I've used Sculpting Steel before, and the Portal just looks like it can get out of hand if left unchecked.

I think Grafted Exoskeleton is a terrible idea in this deck. It has no synergy with the deck at all. Making Maga kill one turn sooner when attacking after an already huge mana investment isn't worth a card. Maga is a fireball effect and does nothing to work with the equipment outside of becoming a huge dork to equip it to. If you have this on your other creatures in the deck it's even worse as if you aren't killing them automatically with it you're literally wasting damage and attack phases if the equipment gets killed before 10. Maga doesn't even seem like the right kind of general for bashing with in the first place.

abraxas
10-01-2010, 05:01 PM
I think Grafted Exoskeleton is a terrible idea in this deck. It has no synergy with the deck at all. Making Maga kill one turn sooner when attacking after an already huge mana investment isn't worth a card. Maga is a fireball effect and does nothing to work with the equipment outside of becoming a huge dork to equip it to. If you have this on your other creatures in the deck it's even worse as if you aren't killing them automatically with it you're literally wasting damage and attack phases if the equipment gets killed before 10. Maga doesn't even seem like the right kind of general for bashing with in the first place.

I've seen people use Loxodon Warhammer in their Maga MBC deck. It has no "synergy" yet provides an avenue for some lifegain. Grafted is the same deal but another way to put more pressure on your opponent.

I don't have too many creatures in my deck. Drana Kalastria Bloodchief, Nirkana Revenant, Myojin of Night's Reach, Bane of the Living, Duplicant, Pestilence Demon, Twisted Abomination, Solemn Simulacrum. Pestilence Demon + Grafted Exoskeleton is a synergy though that can work pretty well. Giving every person a poison counter for B in a multiplayer game can get ridiculous.

I understand it doesn't fit the theme of Maga MBC EDH decks, but its not like theres one build we can not ever stray from. I'm willing to test new things out

EDIT: Has anyone tested Dregs of Sorrow to any success? I've been meaning to test it out because sometimes the luck of the draw in my deck has me sometime top decking lands frequently late game, despite a lot of card draw and manipulation in my deck (Promise of Power, Sensei's Divining Top, Crystal Ball, Decree of Pain, Ancient Craving, Necropotence, Memory Jar, etc)

Bryant Cook
10-08-2010, 01:37 PM
Bretweed covered ny sentiments on the rest.

Dregs of Sorrow has been amazing for me. If you love Decree of Pain as much as I do there's no reason not to run it. It's exactly what the deck needs removal and card draw to draw more removal.

Bryant Cook
10-12-2010, 02:20 PM
The decks I've been playing Maga against have all speed up, so I decided Maga would have to also. I'll be adding Sol Ring over Mind Twist (Mind Shatter is foil, terrible reasoning I know), then I plan on adding Solemn Simulacrum over Small Pox. Then I'll be adding Exsanguinate over Drain Life or Corrupt, I haven't decided yet.

Bryant Cook
12-15-2010, 08:32 PM
I have to cut Emrakul I suppose, any ideas on what to add?

xXxBretWeedxXx
12-16-2010, 10:14 AM
I have to cut Emrakul I suppose, any ideas on what to add?

Just put back in whatever you cut for Exsanguiate.

Bryant Cook
12-16-2010, 01:08 PM
Just put back in whatever you cut for Exsanguiate.

Right now it's back to being Mind Shatter, I don't really care for Drain Life which is why it's getting cut!

xXxBretWeedxXx
12-17-2010, 09:16 AM
Right now it's back to being Mind Shatter, I don't really care for Drain Life which is why it's getting cut!

Twist or Shatter? I thought you cut the Twist, either way I hadn't realized those got cut and yeah, better than a drain life. I love me a Mind Twist effect.

Nathan310
12-26-2010, 05:01 AM
Hello. I'm new to EDH and I love playing monoblack. I have a couple questions for you guy that experienced with EDH.

How does this deck do against blue steal type decks and decks like rafiq? Those are popular in the group I will probably be playing with.

Would Skithiryx be a better choice?

Bryant Cook
12-26-2010, 12:44 PM
Hello. I'm new to EDH and I love playing monoblack. I have a couple questions for you guy that experienced with EDH.

How does this deck do against blue steal type decks and decks like rafiq? Those are popular in the group I will probably be playing with.

Would Skithiryx be a better choice?

This deck doesnt realluy play anything for people to steal other than your lands. Which doesn't seem likely. You crush creature decks like Rafiq with all of the removal the deck plays.

No. Maga is insane. The deck wins a lot by going infinite mana and casting her.

lorddotm
12-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Have you considered Mirari?

Nathan310
12-26-2010, 06:12 PM
This deck doesnt realluy play anything for people to steal other than your lands. Which doesn't seem likely. You crush creature decks like Rafiq with all of the removal the deck plays.

No. Maga is insane. The deck wins a lot by going infinite mana and casting her.

Thanks Bryant.

Would you mind posting your most current list? What cards do you go infinite with?

EDIT: I just noticed rings of brighthearth. I know that's used for infinite mana with basalt monolith. I'm having trouble figuring out what other ways you can go infinite using it in this deck.

jjjoness'
12-26-2010, 06:16 PM
Usually the infinite loop requires Cabal Coffers, Deserted Temple, and Rings of Brighthearth.

lorddotm
12-26-2010, 06:24 PM
Thanks Bryant.

Would you mind posting your most current list? What cards do you go infinite with?

EDIT: I just noticed rings of brighthearth. I know that's used for infinite mana with basalt monolith. I'm having trouble figuring out what other ways you can go infinite using it in this deck.

Cabal Coffers, enough swamps, and Deserted Temple.

Tap Cabal Coffers for atleast 6 mana, then use Deserted Temple to untap Cabal Coffers and copy it to untap itself.

With Exsanguinate, you kill the entire table. If that card isn't in your list, it should be.

Nathan310
12-26-2010, 06:49 PM
Thanks.

Exsaguinate is my favorite MP card. In FFA(non edh) it has won me more games than anything.

Bryant Cook
12-26-2010, 08:56 PM

32 Swamp
1 Stripmine
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Terrain Generator
1 Cabal Coffers
1 Deserted Temple
1 Petrified Field
1 Vesuva
1 Sol Ring
1 Expedition Map
1 Wayfarer’s Bauble
1 Armillary Sphere
1 Doubling Cube
1 Jet Medallion
1 Extraplanar Lens
1 Gauntlet of Power

1 Fleshbag Marauder
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Graveborn Muse
1 Nirkana Revenant
1 Pestilence Demon

1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Skred Memory
1 Diabolic Tutor
1 Beseech the Queen
1 Demonic Collusion

1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Scroll Rack
1 Skeletal Scrying
1 Night's Whisper
1 Sign in Blood
1 Phyrexian Arena
1 Necropotence
1 Ambition's Cost
1 Ancient Craving
1 Mind's Eye

1 Innocent Blood
1 Chainer’s Edict
1 Barter in Blood
1 Phythisis

1 Mind Twist
1 Mind Shatter
1 Mind Sludge
1 Cabal Conditioning

1 Grim Discovery
1 Beacon of Unrest
1 Yawgmoth’s Will
1 Sadistic Sacrament
1 Rings of Brightearth

1 Exsanguinate
1 Consume Spirit
1 Profane Command
1 Corrupt

1 Mutilate
1 Damnation
1 Oblivion Stone
1 Nevinyrral's Disk
1 All is Dust
1 Dregs of Sorrow
1 Decree of Pain

1 Liliana Vess
1 Sorin Markov

I used to play Mirari, but it's definitely a win-more card.

Nathan310
12-27-2010, 01:24 AM
Awesome list. Thanks.

Why no basalt monolith? Too brutal?

Or wound reflection? Does it put a huge target on your head?

Bryant Cook
12-27-2010, 02:30 AM
Awesome list. Thanks.

Why no basalt monolith? Too brutal?

Or wound reflection? Does it put a huge target on your head?

I just didn't think of it. I'll try it out, the problem with it I imagine is that doesnt produce black mana.

Xiang
12-28-2010, 07:13 AM
what card is the second solemn simulacrum?

Nathan310
12-28-2010, 09:12 PM
How do you feel about wound reflection?

Bryant Cook
12-28-2010, 11:41 PM
what card is the second solemn simulacrum?

There isn't It was that I copy pasted twice.

Wound Reflection sucks in my opinion, you're more than welcome to play it, but I don't think it's that good.

Nathan310
12-29-2010, 12:36 AM
I'll take your word for it.

Am I missing something with wayfarer's bauble?

It looks like a teramorphic expanse that costs mana to use.

Aggro_zombies
12-29-2010, 12:41 AM
I'll take your word for it.

Am I missing something with wayfarer's bauble?

It looks like a teramorphic expanse that costs mana to use.
It accelerates you.

Nathan310
01-01-2011, 02:05 AM
Do you guys think it would be worthwhile adding fetchlands and dust bowl with a crucible of worlds on top of strip mine and wasteland? I'm thinking about doing that but before I blow the money on fetchlands I would like your opinions.

Bryant Cook
01-01-2011, 03:21 PM
It's not a bad idea. I just don't think it's necessary.

lorddotm
01-01-2011, 03:39 PM
Why is Thawing Glaciers not in this deck?

Bryant Cook
01-01-2011, 05:37 PM
I personally hate the card.

Nathan310
01-01-2011, 07:29 PM
I've played thawing glaciers in other mp decks. This is off topic but I don't know how many times I used thawing glaciers and the top card of my library was exactly what I needed to win the game. Needless to say it ruined my draw because of the reshuffle and I lost some of those games. That's probably just bad luck though. Thanks thawing glaciers you pos! Haha

ykpon
01-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Bryant, why don't you run fetchlands? Losing 1 hp doesn't seem to be a real drawback and awesome synergy with Top, Rack, Rings and Grim Discovery is obvious.
Also, why no Magus of the Coffers and Basalt Monolith?

Bryant Cook
01-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Well within my last three posts in the thread, I answered your questions.

I don't think fetchlands are necessary. I'm a pretty big believer in the rules that you shouldn't use other colors in your deck, even though they aren't mana symbols they're different colors. If I was to add fetchlands, it would be...

1x Thawing Glaciers
1x Terramorphic Expanse
1x Evolving Wilds

Out of these, Thawing Glaciers is playable and I don't really care for the card. I understand the points that you're making, they're better suggestions than the awful fetchlands I would play. But I don't like the fact the four black fetchlands all have four other colors attached.

Magus sucks, he never gets to tap for mana.

I am currently playing Basalt Monolith over lens.

Koby
01-04-2011, 12:18 PM
I only use fetchlands to combo with Rings of Brighthearth. The card allows you to generate insane amount of advantage and mana with very little commitment.

xXxBretWeedxXx
01-06-2011, 11:15 AM
I don't think fetchlands are necessary. I'm a pretty big believer in the rules that you shouldn't use other colors in your deck, even though they aren't mana symbols they're different colors. If I was to add fetchlands, it would be...

1x Thawing Glaciers
1x Terramorphic Expanse
1x Evolving Wilds

I feel the same way. I hadn't realized you did this too, props.

Nathan310
01-10-2011, 07:31 PM
First off I want to thank Bryant for the list

I got a chance to play two three man games games last weekend and it I lost the first game to a optimal looking Wrexial deck first game. Second game the Wrexial player used a combo sliver queen deck and I Sorin markoved him before he could pull any shenanigans. I also dueled with a (non EDH) multiplayer artifact deck and had 2 wins and 1 loss to a unanswered Tezzeret. The only difference between our lists is I play crucible and Reiver demon rather than grim discovery and Kozilek.

Overall I'm very pleased with the build but I want to try out boseiju who sheler's all,thawing glaciers,temporal extortion and imps mischief. Ill let you guys know how they work out.

Nathan310
01-14-2011, 02:01 AM
What do you think of replacing mindsludge with wits end?

jjjoness'
01-14-2011, 07:49 AM
What do you think of replacing mindsludge with wits end?

If you have the seven mana to cast wits end, usually Mind Sludge does the same thing. Plus Mind Sludge on turn 4 or 5 is really amazing and takes up a lot of your opponents gas.

Nathan310
02-12-2011, 04:01 AM
So I've been playing and tweaking the deck for a while and I wanted to say steel hellkite has been amazing. I would recommend it to anyone playing the deck. It gives much needed enchantment and artifact removal and it's a great beater too.

abraxas
02-12-2011, 06:17 PM
Hello all. I've had a Maga EDH deck since my first entry into the format. I was wondering what options are out there that you recommend to fight Mindslaver and/or land destruction?

I already run Sadistic Sacrament, many tutors, etc. for the Mindslaver. I just hate getting Mindslaver'd and then killed by my own Necropotence. It's so cheasy and douchey when people do that all the time, when you play them - especially since they are the same people complaining about Sorin Markov being 'unfair' and 'douchey'. I even thought about taking out Necropotence for awhile, because I typically hold back using it until I have Eternity Vessel, or the Vessel + Oblivion Stone to crack. But I end up dying from Necro via Slaver regardless if I'm holding it back in my hand, or if they just tutor for it, or if it's destroyed in my yard, they just tutor for/use a discard effect of my own (Persecute / Cabal Conditioning / Mind Twist / Mind Shatter / Myojin of Night's Reach) to get me out of the game completely. While it may seem to be an exhorbitant amount of discard to run in EDH, it seems it's my best option against mono-green decks that can ramp quickly the first few turns of the game and out tempo everybody (especially with multiple beefy creatures out and a Greater Good / a Momentous Fall), or decks that draw way too many cards.

Also, since this deck is all about producing a lot of mana, how do you fight land destruction? Especially creature-based options like Terastodon recursion and Woodfall Primus? I always get targetted by certain individuals familiar with my deck, who take the format way too seriously, and assess me as the higher threat-- regardless if my board is empty and there's other more relevant nonlands to blow up over my own lands.

I used to run Sundering Titan, but I don't like encouraging land destruction in my playgroup, and it's only efficient against multicolor decks which typically don't run LD themselves. I'm looking at the mono-green / green-red players out there who hit three lands w/Teraston, Plow Under / Stunted Growth me, etc. I run Crucible already, along with Petrified Field, but that's given that Cabal Coffers will die anywhere from 1-5 times in a game, given certain circumstances.

Nathan310
02-12-2011, 09:40 PM
Promise of power might be a good replacement. That kept happening to me so I swapped necro out for promise of power in one of my black decks. Pithing needle can suck too

abraxas
02-12-2011, 10:49 PM
For card draw/selection, I already run:
Night's Whisper, Ancient Craving, Skeletal Scrying, Promise of Power, Mind's Eye, Sensei's Divining Top, Phyrexian Arena, Dregs of Sorrow, and Decree of Pain.

In my metagame, not many people run Pithing Needle- they'd rather just destroy the permanent that's causing the trouble (as my metagame is pretty balanced in all five colors- there's enough removal going around for all permanents).

Nathan310
02-12-2011, 11:05 PM
No sign in blood? The full art ones kick are pretty cool

Bryant Cook
06-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Does anyone still play this? I'm looking to update and make my list more competitive. Suggestions?

Maga, Traitor to Mortals

32 Swamp
1 Stripmine
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Terrain Generator
1 Cabal Coffers
1 Deserted Temple
1 Petrified Field
1 Vesuva
1 Sol Ring
1 Basalt Monolith
1 Expedition Map
1 Wayfarer’s Bauble
1 Armillary Sphere
1 Doubling Cube
1 Jet Medallion
1 Gauntlet of Power

1 Fleshbag Marauder
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Graveborn Muse
1 Nirkana Revenant
1 Pestilence Demon

1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Skred Memory
1 Diabolic Tutor
1 Beseech the Queen
1 Demonic Collusion

1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Scroll Rack
1 Skeletal Scrying
1 Night's Whisper
1 Sign in Blood
1 Phyrexian Arena
1 Necropotence
1 Ambition's Cost
1 Ancient Craving
1 Mind's Eye

1 Innocent Blood
1 Chainer’s Edict
1 Barter in Blood

1 Mind Twist
1 Mind Shatter
1 Mind Sludge
1 Cabal Conditioning

1 Grim Discovery
1 Beacon of Unrest
1 Yawgmoth’s Will
1 Sadistic Sacrament
1 Rings of Brightearth

1 Exsanguinate
1 Consume Spirit
1 Profane Command
1 Corrupt

1 Black Sun’s Zenith
1 Mutilate
1 Damnation
1 Oblivion Stone
1 Nevinyrral's Disk
1 All is Dust
1 Dregs of Sorrow
1 Decree of Pain

1 Liliana Vess
1 Sorin Markov

Bignasty197
06-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Possibly cut a Swamp for a Caged Sun. More acceleration can't be a bad thing.

Davran
06-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Possibly cut a Swamp for a Caged Sun. More acceleration can't be a bad thing.

Caged Sun is definitely worth it - it's a Gauntlet of Power that only benefits you for the low low price of one extra colorless mana.

Also, Phyrexian Obliterator is a pretty nice wall while you get your acceleration set up.

Nathan310
06-09-2011, 06:44 PM
I've still been playing it this whole time. The new cards I've added have been caged sun,Life's finale, grim monolith,worn powerstone ,extraplanar lens,fleshbag marauder,rend flesh,praetor's grasp,drain life and promise of power. Maze of ith has been added and has been great. Usually early game I was auto-targeted because I had no blockers and this helped plus it's just funny to vesuva it.

The reason I did most of these changes was because it was just not fast enough and these changes have helped a lot because I win a lot more after adding these.

Cuts I made
Armillary sphere:slow. acceleration worked better and have no problem drawing lands
Scroll Rack:without shuffle effects this wasn't that good a lot of times
Dregs of sorrow:too slow preferred cheaper removal to help against faster decks
Corrupt:with all the mana doublers and coffers I could do much more damage using drain life and have one shotted people later in the game with it.
Mutilate:preferred a Life's finale
Necropotence:never had good experiences with this card in MP
Chainer's edict:more often than not didn't get to use it twice
Skeletal scrying:didn't like RFGing my graveyard and paying life

Kuma
06-10-2011, 01:51 PM
I run something pretty similar with Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon as the general:

Lands (34):

Cabal Coffers
Bloodstained Mire
Deserted Temple
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
23 Snow-Covered Swamp
Wasteland
Verdant Catacombs
Marsh Flats
Strip Mine
Scrying Sheets
Polluted Delta
Vesuva

Acceleration (12):

Gilded Lotus
Sol Ring
Thran Dynamo
Mana Crypt
Mana Vault
Gauntlet of Power
Basalt Monolith
Wayfarer's Bauble
Candelabra of Tawnos
Nirkana Revenant
Solemn Simulacrum
Caged Sun

Card Draw/Selection (10):

Graveborn Muse
Phyrexian Arena
Necropotence
Promise of Power
Sensei's Divining Top
Memory Jar
Scroll Rack
Night's Whisper
Sign in Blood
Mind's Eye

Tutors (10):

Dimir House Guard
Diabolic Tutor
Demonic Tutor
Liliana Vess
Vampiric Tutor
Expedition Map
Beseech the Queen
Dimir Machinations
Shred Memory
Praetor's Grasp

Removal/Sweepers (17):

Fleshbag Marauder
Sundering Titan
Steel Hellkite
Damnation
Barter in Blood
Ashes to Ashes
Consuming Vapors
Chainer's Edict
Innocent Blood
Oblivion Stone
Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief
Mutilate
Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
All is Dust
Karn Liberated
Sheoldred, Whispering One

Discard (5):

Cabal Conditioning
Mind Sludge
Mind Twist
Mind Shatter
Myojin of Night's Reach

Graveyard Recursion (4):

Yawgmoth's Will
Crucible of Worlds
Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed
Beacon of Unrest

Equipment (2):

Nightmare Lash
Lashwrithe

Miscellaneous (5):

Mindslaver
Leyline of the Void
Helm of Obedience
Rings of Brighthearth
Exsanguinate

Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed, Sheoldred, Whispering One, Karn Liberated, Praetor's Grasp, and Candelabra of Tawnos should warrant some consideration. Also, having Helm of Obedience/Leyline of the Void combo as a backup win con is insane.

Bryant Cook
06-29-2011, 08:41 AM
Rune-Scarred Demon 5bb
Creature - Demon Rare
Flying
When Rune-Scarred Demon enters the battlefield, search your library for a card, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
The litany of the infernal on his flesh pulses to the beating of his dark heart.
Illus. Michael Komarck #106/249 6/6

Baumeister
02-09-2013, 09:08 AM
I know it's been a while since anybody posted in this thread, but I've been working on the deck lately and it's gotten a few new toys from the recent sets. Here's the list:

30 Snow-Covered Swamp
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Cabal Coffers
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Deserted Temple
1 Petrified Field
1 Thespian's Stage
1 Vesuva

1 Fleshbag Marauder
1 Slum Reaper
1 Crypt Ghast
1 Graveborn Muse
1 Bloodgift Demon
1 Kokusho, the Evening Star
1 Geth, Lord of the Vault
1 Nirkana Revenant
1 Rune-Scarred Demon
1 Sepulchral Primordial
1 Sheoldred, Whispering One
1 Pestilence Demon
1 Solemn Simulacrum

1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Diabolic Tutor
1 Increasing Ambition
1 Demonic Collusion
1 Diabolic Revelation
1 Beseech the Queen

1 Mind Twist
1 Grim Discovery
1 Exsanguinate
1 Mind Shatter
1 Profane Command
1 Yawgmoth's Will
1 Rise from the Grave
1 Beacon of Unrest
1 Corrupt
1 Cabal Conditioning
1 Rings of Brighthearth

1 Expedition Map
1 Doubling Cube
1 Extraplanar Lens
1 Gauntlet of Power
1 Caged Sun

1 Night's Whisper
1 Sign in Blood
1 Phyrexian Arena
1 Ambition's Cost
1 Ancient Craving
1 Promise of Power
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Mind's Eye

1 Innocent Blood
1 Black Sun's Zenith
1 Barter in Blood
1 Mutilate
1 Damnation
1 Life's Finale
1 Decree of Pain
1 Oblivion Stone
1 Nevinyrral's Disk
1 All is Dust

1 Liliana of the Veil
1 Liliana of the Dark Realms
1 Sorin Markov
1 Karn Liberated

I'm fairly certain Crypt Ghast is legal due to the extort trigger being reminder text. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. That gives the deck five static mana doublers for Swamps (Crypt Ghast, Nirkana Revenant, Extraplanar Lens, Gauntlet of Power, Caged Sun) plus Doubling Cube. Also, Thespian's Stage is a third Cabal Coffers. There finally seems to be a critical mass of mana acceleration to allow the deck to consistently find what it needs to function.

I have seven tutors - there may need to be more, but I am unsure which ones need to be added. The fact that black tutors can find whatever card you want makes the deck extremely flexible when it has a tutor in hand.

There is a small reanimator package in the deck to replay value creatures like Kokusho, the Evening Star and Pestilence Demon. The majority of the reanimation spells can grab creatures from any graveyard. Sepulchral Primordial almost always has a target from each opponent.

There are obviously some shortcomings - the deck is pretty slow and is not very good 1-v-1. I should probably find room for Liliana Vess since she's another tutor and randomly great with her ultimate. She is quite slow though.

The deck tends to be a target because it can repeatedly wipe the board. People don't really seem to like that. Also, almost all the cards can only be played at sorcery speed giving the deck almost no tricks. You basically bomb spells on your turn and hope nobody can deal with them.

The deck feels like it's pretty tight. I had to cut a bunch of cards that seemed fun but didn't really do a lot: Jet Medallion, Grave Titan, Grave Exchange, Chainer's Edict, No Mercy, Death Cloud, Betrayal of Flesh, Myojin of Night's Reach, Sadistic Sacrament, Necropotence, Syphon Mind, and others.

I'm interested in feedback. Let me know if I missed anything.