PDA

View Full Version : Kudzu!!!!!

DukeDemonKn1ght
12-03-2009, 07:21 AM
Ok, so this might be sort of a half-baked idea, but maybe there's something good in there somewhere. The basic idea is to just exploit the hell out of Kudzu and make as dedicated of a mono-green land-hate deck as possible. This is totally untested and pretty much just for fun, so don't flame me too hard. I'm from Mississippi, I had to make a Kudzu deck eventually. :wink:

2 Crop Rotation
4 Kudzu
4 Ice Storm
2 Thermokarst

3 Winter Orb
1 Life from the Loam
3 Crucible of Worlds

4 Noble Hierarch
2 Llanowar Elves
4 Elvish Spirit Guide
4 Tarmogoyf
1 Progenitus
4 Natural Order

4 Wasteland
2 Misty Rainforest
1 Horizon Canopy
1 Dryad Arbor
1 Rishadan Port
13 Snow-Covered Forest

...Ok. So I'll be the first to admit that compared to say, Mono Green Chalice Aggro, this deck looks like a pile of crap. I just always wanted to put Kudzu in a decklist. Feel free to critique, tear it apart, whatevs. Just please understand I'm not really suggesting people go out and actually play this. :tongue:

meanee
12-03-2009, 07:51 AM
It does indeed look like a pile, but thats no reason not to fool around with it for a while, and kudzu is all fun and games.

Maybe you should play a single ghost quarter instead of a misty rainforest, and throw the second rainforest for crop rotation 3.

Ooh, play root maze. It fits the theme briliantly - especially when you are on the play. t1 root maze, t2 mana-dude, t3 start destroying his lands... Its great. Maybe instead of thermokast and 2 elvish spirit guides (and then maybe switch the rest of the esgs for some more llanowars?).

Anyway, the deck looks like a lot of fun, albeit very bad in a modern, competitive legacy meta.

- meanee

MMogg
12-03-2009, 07:57 AM
I'm a huge fan of Ponza, so I kind of like the general concept, but Kudzu sucks, even in Ponza, because your opponent also chooses a target. Why not just play straight mono green LD?

Maveric78f
12-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Why no rishadan port? If you don't tap the opponent's land by yourself, I don't see how it's better than Thermokarst 3-4.

Gocho
12-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Some ideas:
- Isn't Terravore better choice that Tarmogoyf in this deck?
- You can play Winter's Grasp in place of Ice Storm for a budget version.
- SB options: Spreading Algae, vs Black decks; Tsunami, vs Blue decks

EDIT:
Thinking a little more, aren't Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth + Spreading Algae a better option that Kudzu?

You can get Urborg with Crop Rotation and use Spreading Algae like an opponents only Kudzu.

Jon Stewart
12-03-2009, 10:58 AM
It's a cool concept.

The smart player is basically never going to tap their enchanted land for mana until after they naturalize Kudzu. So Kudzu is just an overcosted Blight or Sinkhole.

I would rather build a monoblack LD deck using Sinkhole, Blight, Smallpox, Wasteland, Pox, Rancid Earth, Dark Ritual, maybe Vindicate etc. Basically Pox.

Black gives you access to creature kill and hand disruption which is essential in any LD deck to be able to deal with resolved creatures, or combo decks that don't really use lands.

Then again, if you dont' care about having an out versus fast aggro and combo decks, then elves and natural order are a great reason to play green.

Phoenix Ignition
12-03-2009, 05:24 PM
No Tangle Wire?

Jeff Kruchkow
12-03-2009, 06:08 PM
The spreading algae + urborg thing seems really cool. You could go GB land D with sinkholes, good creature kill and tombstalker.

DukeDemonKn1ght
12-03-2009, 06:09 PM
No Tangle Wire?

I thought about including Tangle Wire, but I was running a little light on space. Other stuff I wanted to fit in initially was Ohran Viper, more acceleration, etc.

@the "Why Kudzu?" question: Basically, the idea is that it's better than a one-shot land destruction spell because it sticks around on the board until it's answered, and completely fucks up the natural course of the game's development. The idea is basically that you should be able to not care about your lands dying, since you run ways to recur them, and non-land mana sources. Of course, this is pretty much guaranteed to not work out as planned. I didn't say it would be a good deck, I just wanted to present the idea for other people who might find it funny. :laugh:

EDIT: The Spreading Algae/ Urborg idea is probably better than this whole deck actually. Lol. Bonus points if you can get a Contamination lock to work in there. I think that combo might actually be semi viable though, as opposed to the hilariousness that is Kudzu.

Gocho
12-04-2009, 03:33 AM
Add Roots of Life and Tangle Wire and you can begin to slaugh :P