PDA

View Full Version : Lord of Tresserhorn?

DukeDemonKn1ght
12-07-2009, 02:05 AM
I've never played EDH before but I was skimming thru my random rare collection yesterday, and... Holy crap! Lord of Tresserhorn! Wouldn't this dude make a badass general? Or is it just me?

Mark Sun
12-07-2009, 02:07 AM
I've never played EDH before but I was skimming thru my random rare collection yesterday, and... Holy crap! Lord of Tresserhorn! Wouldn't this dude make a badass general? Or is it just me?

When Lord of Tresserhorn enters the battlefield, you lose 2 life and sacrifice two creatures, and an opponent draws two cards.

Yeah, I don't know about that one. Especially with board sweepers and having to replay your general multiple times in the course of a game. I mean, if you're going with a sacrifice theme, by all means, but he's a terrible general, imo.

Jak
12-07-2009, 03:36 AM
It could work. With something like Gravepact his sac drawback becomes pretty good. You could go with a token type theme, skullclamp etc.

Tao
12-07-2009, 03:55 AM
The drawback is imo way too heavy. But if you go for it, don't forget Stifle and Trickbind.

MMogg
12-07-2009, 05:08 AM
The drawback is imo way too heavy. But if you go for it, don't forget Stifle and Trickbind.

Hmm, would 1 Stifle/Trickbind work to counter all the triggered effects, or just one? :confused: I've never seen it used in cases with multiple/simultaneous triggered abilities.

DDK, you could probably make a really fun EDH around him, but I'm not sure how good it would be. I agree with the others that a graveyard focus would be necessary. Bitterblossom/some other token creator is another option. Underworld Dreams would be funny, but not very effective.

Tao
12-07-2009, 05:14 AM
There is just one trigger that forces you to do multiple things so Stifle works fine.

Dilettante
12-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Seems more like a 'fun' general than a seriously deadly one. It offers color choices on top of Korlash, but as a 'swing general', he seems weaker. If you do build him, Bloodghast, Bitterblossom, Goblin Assault, Meloku (and thus, tricks with academy), or anything with Haunt or Persist mechanics seem your most likely candidates as fodder.

MattH
12-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Illusionary Mask ^^

Although you'd have to get him in hand first.

If you go with a "sacrificing" theme, Endrek Sahr combos well with many of black and red's sacrifice cards.

Illissius
12-07-2009, 02:00 PM
If you're just going for flavor, yeah, he's badass (and not obvious-badass like Sol'Kanar and such either). Be sure to also include Lim-Dul's Paladin.

MattH
12-07-2009, 03:38 PM
If you're just going for flavor, yeah, he's badass (and not obvious-badass like Sol'Kanar and such either). Be sure to also include Lim-Dul's Paladin.

And Lim-Dul's Vault! Which is actually extremely strong in a format where you start at 40.

rufus
12-07-2009, 10:51 PM
It's cute in combination with Pandemonium since it recycles itself.

MattH
12-08-2009, 12:19 PM
It's cute in combination with Pandemonium since it recycles itself.
Also Where Ancients Tread, and Electropotence.

Dilettante
12-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Where Ancients Tread unfortunately uses the enchantment itself as the damage source.

Stalking Vengeance, Electropotence, and Pandemonium go directly from the creature to the player, so is more potent due to general damage. Ronin Warclub or Dragon Shadow attaches directly so that you deal the magical 21+ damage in just two plays of him.

Illissius
12-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Only 21 points of combat damage kills people.

Dilettante
12-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Only 21 points of combat damage kills people.

Ah. Darn =\ Then no matter either way. I just don't see too many pluses to playing him over Korlash beyond the CIP throw opportunities. And Wound Reflection makes you a target.

MattH
12-08-2009, 03:10 PM
I just don't see too many pluses to playing him over Korlash beyond the CIP throw opportunities.

Getting access to three colors, obviously!

Dilettante
12-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Getting access to three colors, obviously!

=) What I meant is... what does it fundamentally give you in a deck to have access to those two colors. Have to see a full deck skeleton to get a better idea, but if going the control route with board wipes and taking advantage of regenerate, red only adds Pyrohemia, (Rolling) Earthquake, and Devastation. Less vulnerability to Iona, yes. But what does it add mechanically if you are basing around the Lord?

I guess it helps to ask what playstyle you guys think he belongs in... Is he going to be another Pheldagriff where you look 'helpful' to a 'buddy' while everyone else gets ripped apart?

Vacrix
12-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Why not play lots of sacrifice effects like this dude, and run spells that steal other players creatures? Seems pretty badass to me. Steal your opponents creatures, then drop LoT sacrificing 2 of his dudes.

ThoseWhoFearTomorrow
12-08-2009, 11:20 PM
Why not play lots of sacrifice effects like this dude, and run spells that steal other players creatures? Seems pretty badass to me. Steal your opponents creatures, then drop LoT sacrificing 2 of his dudes.

This is exactly the way I've seen him used. Sheldon has (had?) a Good Buddy deck so I'm sure you could find his and use it as a template.

Reasons Good Buddy is a good general:
1. General Damage
2. Diplomacy (make friends at the multiplayer tablet with the draw 2)
3. Colors give you so many good cards in EDH
4. Creature theft (Sower, Reins of Power, Ritual of the Machine, etc.)

MEATROCKET
12-09-2009, 12:04 AM
I've liked this guy for years, so of course I tried him out as a general. I don't think you should try to actually play into his ability. It just requires too much work. Instead, just use the fact that UBR is a really good color combo in highlander (hell, with these colors, I don't think your general really matters) and throw in Stifle and Trickbind. I've had fun with it.

Malchar
12-10-2009, 05:33 PM
In multiplayer, having an opponent draw two cards could cause some interesting diplomatic consequences.

If you play a fair number of counterspells, you might be able to protect him long enough to kill someone. An enchant creature or something to give it +1 power would be really nice though. Also, Anger would be a great creature to sacrifice when he comes into play.

Illissius
12-10-2009, 05:45 PM
I've always wondered by more people don't play Trade Secrets.