PDA

View Full Version : GW Lands

EssKay
12-07-2009, 11:45 AM
This is a deck I put together partly because I wanted something that would do well in a control-heavy meta, but mostly because I thought a lot of the cards in it were fun and wanted something to play them in. I'm putting it here b/c I don't care much about optimizing it, and the list is all over the place b/c it's based on cards I have.

Creatures:
3x Steppe Lynx
3x Scythe Tiger
4x Knight of the Reliquary
2x Terravore
2x Qasali Pridemage

Spells:
4x Crop Rotation
2x Worm Harvest
2x Swords to Plowshares
1x Mox Diamond
3x Crucible of Worlds

Lands:
4x Mishra's Factory
3x Maze of Ith
2x Riftstone Portal
2x Nantuko Monastery
2x Treetop Village
3x Wasteland
3x Savannah
1x Misty Rainforest
1x Marsh Flats
8x Forest
5x Plains

There's obviously a lot of room for improvement (Tabernacle?) but I'm not spending any money on Magic right now so I'm looking to do the best with the cards I have. I'll probably cut one Riftstone Portal for a Glacial Chasm, and maybe try to fit a Zuran Orb or two in there somewhere. I've also thought about splashing black for Bobs and maybe sneak in 1x each of Hexmage/Dark Depths for random combo action.

Thoughts?

Phoenix Ignition
12-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Scythe Tiger is a pretty terrible card, even with Terravore and KotR. You don't want to waste a land drop early on for a 3/2, and slowing yourself down in playing those two is a bad idea. I would rather use Vinelasher Kudzu or just some more pridemages to help out against random Enchants/Artifacts.

2 Worm Harvest is a bit too many as well, since you don't ever want it in the first 10 turns of the game. You have plenty of things to do with your creatures until the late late game.

Maybe a Kor Haven would work well in your land toolbox? Also a deck like this might benefit from Armageddon main, if you get out Crucible it will be game over once you land it.

EssKay
12-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Yeah I would totally cut the tigers for Armageddon if I had any. I quit playing after 5th edition and didn't start again until this past year, and I never played white much back in the day so my card pool is pretty weak there. I'm thinking about just putting in Birds of Paradise instead, but I have found it's nice to have another way to get Riftstone into the yard. I think I'll cut the other Worm Harvest for Zuran Orb and see how that goes.

EssKay
12-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Just got home...

-1 Worm Harvest
-1 Riftstone Portal
-3 Scythe Tiger
-2 Forest
-2 Plains

+2 Verdant Catacombs
+2 Marsh Flats
+1 Glacial Chasam
+2 Zuran Orb
+2 Birds of Paradise

Better?

grahf
12-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Dunno about the Birds - I think you really want land searching mana accel, for landfall triggers. Like Search For Tomorrow, or maybe Harrow. I second the Vinelasher Kudzu suggestion as well. Nomad Stadium would do pretty much the same thing as ZOrb, and be searchable with KotR, play one of each.

EssKay
12-07-2009, 10:20 PM
I see what you're saying, and Birds as a two-of isn't really that useful. I don't have Search for Tomorrow but I have Harrow and Nature's Lore. Actually it just occurred to me that Scryb Ranger would probably be perfect here. One of the biggest drawbacks to KotR is choosing between beating with it or tutoring up more land, and returning forests could help to keep retracing Worm Harvest. I'll have to see if I can grab a couple next time I'm at the local shop.

I don't have a Nomad Stadium either, but the point of Orb/Scythe tiger is to have another way to get Riftstone Portal into the yard. I know that card isn't played much but so far in testing it's really good. It lets you use the Knights/Crop Rotations to burn through all the basics/duals and get utility lands without reservation.

EssKay
12-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Does anyone think this list could be at all competitive with additions like Scryb Ranger, Tabernacle, and Nomad Stadium? Seems like an auto-loss to combo and susceptible to graveyard hate, but a decent matchup against control?