PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] 1v1 Vendillion Clique

badjuju
12-17-2009, 03:44 PM
Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to EDH, but I just found out we have a weekly tournament at the MTG place I usually go to. The format is duels only with a regular banlist and there is always a cash prize. The guys that play there aren't top notch (the majority of them anyways) so I figured I'd pick the strongest possible deck to just deal with anything and everything.

I stole this deck idea from some French EDH tournaments and snatched the list off of salvation. There are a few questionable cards, but for the most part this list is almost there.

VENDILLION CLIQUE

// Lands
1 [10E] Terramorphic Expanse
1 [ON] Flooded Strand
1 [ON] Polluted Delta
1 [MI] Bad River
1 [MOR] Mutavault
19 [P3] Island
1 [MR] Seat of the Synod
1 [MM] Dust Bowl
1 [TE] Wasteland
1 [AQ] Strip Mine
1 [IA] Ice Floe
1 [DK] Maze of Ith
1 [MI] Flood Plain
1 [FUT] Tolaria West
1 [CNF] Reliquary Tower
1 [ON] Riptide Laboratory
1 [TSP] Academy Ruins
1 [CHK] Boseiju, Who Shelters All
1 [TE] Ancient Tomb
1 [AL] Thawing Glaciers
1 [US] Tolarian Academy

// Creatures
1 [FD] Trinket Mage
1 [FUT] Vedalken AEthermage
1 [ALA] Tezzeret the Seeker
1 [FNM] Willbender
1 [UL] Palinchron
1 [TSP] Draining Whelk
1 [ON] Arcanis the Omnipotent
1 [TSP] Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
1 [LRW] Sower of Temptation
1 [SOK] Sakashima the Impostor
1 [EVE] Glen Elendra Archmage
1 [LRW] Mistbind Clique
1 [FUT] Venser, Shaper Savant
1 [TSP] Vesuvan Shapeshifter

// Spells
1 [TE] Time Warp
1 Umezawa's Jitte
1 [US] Stroke of Genius
1 [RAV] Tunnel Vision

1 [MR] Extraplanar Lens
1 [FD] Crucible of Worlds
1 [MR] Isochron Scepter
1 [M10] Pithing Needle
1 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top
1 [TE] Sapphire Medallion
1 [A] Sol Ring
1 [HPB] Mana Crypt

1 [SH] Evacuation
1 [MM] Bribery
1 [UD] Treachery
1 [FD] Vedalken Shackles
1 [GP] Repeal

1 [FNM] Fact or Fiction
1 [MR] Thirst for Knowledge
1 [VI] Impulse
1 [OD] Standstill
1 [10E] Telling Time
1 [6E] Mystical Tutor
1 [CST] Brainstorm
1 [TSP] Ancestral Vision
1 [TSP] Careful Consideration

1 [CS] Commandeer
1 [CHK] Hinder
1 [AL] Force of Will
1 [FUT] Pact of Negation
1 [6E] Desertion
1 [ARE] Dismiss
1 [DS] Last Word
1 [LRW] Cryptic Command
1 [ARE] Rewind
1 [MOR] Sage's Dousing
1 [EVE] Dream Fracture
1 [UL] Opportunity
1 [FNM] Forbid
1 [LG] Mana Drain
1 [RAV] Remand
1 [US] Power Sink
1 [FD] Condescend
1 [BD] Counterspell
1 [FUT] Delay
1 [SH] Mana Leak

So the general idea (no pun intended) is that you never cast a spell on your turn unless it's utterly broken or you have to. The deck wins by flashing in Vendillion Clique at an appropriate time (most often your opponent's EOT 3) and beat for the easy 21 points of general damage. Sitting behind your wall of counterspells for 7 turns seems like an extremely efficient strategy of just winning the game. There's also a combo kill by using Clique + Tunnel Vision, but it shouldn't be relied upon.

A few cards worth considering (and that I've seen discussed):

[B]+Voidmage Husher
+Gilded Drake
+Snap
+Complicate
+Vision Charm
+Capsize
+Sunder
+Forbid
+Meloku, the Clouded Mirror

I feel like all of these have a possible place in the deck, especially Vision Charm, Husher, and Meloku.

Here's what I'm not sure about:

-Willbender
-Arcanis the Omnipotent
-Sakashima the Imposter
-Vesuvan Shapeshifter
-Palinchron
-Draining Whelk

Unless there's some amazing combo I'm missing with the copy creatures, I don't see them being all that amazing or effective. Arcanis, while awesome, is totally unnecessary. Willbender leaves is Vesuvan Shapeshifter leaves...I just don't like the cards in a pure permission shell. I'm also not sure if I'm lacking ways to deal with creatures. I think one guy runs an Isamaru deck which can get out of hand if I let him continually play guys. That's why I think Meloku and Capsize would be great additions to the deck. Palinchron....I just don't see why. Top creatures in this deck are the ones that offer insane utility (like Teferi). Sure it's free beats, but do we need it?

Here's another streamlined list I found:

CLIQUE V2

1 Vedalken AEthermage
1 Trinket Mage
1 Venser, Shaper Savant
1 Sower of Temptation
1 Mistbind Clique
1 Glen Elendra Archmage
1 Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir

1 Chrome Mox
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Pithing Needle
1 AEther Spellbomb
1 Grim Monolith
1 Sapphire Medallion
1 Mind Stone
1 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Isochron Scepter
1 Coldsteel Heart
1 Sky Diamond
1 Vedalken Shackles

1 Pact of Negation
1 Condescend
1 Power Sink
1 Mana Leak
1 Remand
1 Impulse
1 Memory Lapse
1 Counterspell
1 Mana Drain
1 Sage's Dousing
1 Hinder
1 Forbid
1 Rewind
1 Dismiss
1 Last Word
1 Cryptic Command
1 Force of Will
1 Desertion

1 Brainstorm
1 Telling Time
1 Lat-Nam
1 Thirst for Knowledge
1 Stroke of Genius
1 Fact or Fiction
1 Opportunity

1 Vision Charm
1 Repeal
1 Boomerang
1 Capsize
1 Spin into Myth
1 Sunder
1 Evacuation

1 Mystical Tutor
1 Intuition
1 Ancestral Vision
1 Standstill
1 Jace Beleren
1 Control Magic
1 Treachery
1 Tunnel Vision

18 Island
1 Flooded Strand
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Terramorphic Expanse
1 Polluted Delta
1 Thawing Glaciers
1 Seat of the Synod
1 Riptide Laboratory
1 Academy Ruins
1 Boseiju, Who Shelters All
1 Tolaria West
1 Ancient Tomb
1 Faerie Conclave
1 Mutavault
1 Ice Floe
1 Maze of Ith
1 Dust Bowl
1 Wasteland
1 Strip Mine
1 Library of Alexandria
1 Tolarian Academy

This list looks more tuned, as it has more artifact acceleration to keep up with the artifact decks in the format. I'm not sure about Jace, but he could be pretty good. Will need to try him out - how have your guys' results been with him? And I'd still also like to fit in Meloku and Voidmage Husher somewhere unless I'm totally crazy and they're bad cards in here.

Lastly, the end goal is that I just want to crush everything. I hear that some of the current top EDH generals are Rofellos, Erayo, GAAIV, and any general with U in it (namely Clique/Azami/Arcum/Sharuum). I figured that running Clique would allow me semi-fast games without the need to combo off and a pretty linear, easy draw-go playstyle. Let me know if I am way off base lol.

Any help is appreciated!

frogboy
12-17-2009, 04:19 PM
I recommend reading this:

http://strategy.channelfireball.com/featured-articles/feature-article-dueling-with-elder-dragons/

Both decks might need a Teferi, but I've been pretty happy with them.

badjuju
12-17-2009, 04:46 PM
I recommend reading this:

http://strategy.channelfireball.com/featured-articles/feature-article-dueling-with-elder-dragons/

Both decks might need a Teferi, but I've been pretty happy with them.

Thanks frogboy, that helped a bunch. It just re-affirms my choice to play Vendilion Clique.

frogboy
12-17-2009, 05:17 PM
Incidentally, I think Horde is better for one-on-one because of all of the retarded bombs you can play that aren't blue.

Phoenix Ignition
12-17-2009, 05:19 PM
Do people really like Ancestral Vision? I've found it terrible as a top deck when you aren't winning. Don't know if that makes it a "win more" card, but it's lost me games when I could have used anything else (draw now cards, creatures, etc.).

frogboy
12-17-2009, 05:30 PM
it's pretty unbeatable on turn one, and most of the control mirrors are so slow that you have time. All of the aggro decks are lolbad so it's pretty irrelevant there.

badjuju
12-17-2009, 05:39 PM
I still prefer Clique because against most decks you'll probably just EOT it fairly early and put the pressure on. They'll have to spend a lot of resources trying to get rid of it, as they're now on a 7 turn clock. I'm actually not quite sure how to play this mirror match, but when I read the French tournament report (he got first place), they would run the guy out there fairly early and then try to Maze of Ith each other out of the game lawl. Of course I think the other important strategy is landing a Teferi.

EDIT: I'm also not sure about the "daze" spells that guy is playing. I'll have to try the deck for real to know how good it is. Either way, after looking at all the lists, this is what I came up with. I decided to ditch the whole artifact package (accelerants + Tolarian + Tezzy) for more cheap counterspells and creature control. I just don't think it's really worth it unless you're going to abuse it. Might as well further your original gameplan of beating 7 times with clique backed by a grip of counter and creature jack spells.

7 CLIQUES

// Lands
22 [P3] Island
1 [P3] Minamo, School at Water's Edge
1 [P3] Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
1 [SC] Temple of the False God
1 [DIS] Ghost Quarter
1 [AQ] Strip Mine
1 [TE] Wasteland
1 [MM] Dust Bowl
1 [ON] Riptide Laboratory
1 [DK] Maze of Ith
1 [FUT] Tolaria West
1 [UL] Faerie Conclave
1 [IA] Ice Floe
1 [ON] Lonely Sandbar
1 [ON] Polluted Delta
1 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
1 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
1 [ON] Flooded Strand
1 [US] Remote Isle

// Creatures
1 [FUT] Venser, Shaper Savant
1 [TSP] Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
1 [FUT] Vedalken AEthermage
1 [CHK] Meloku the Clouded Mirror
1 [EVE] Glen Elendra Archmage
1 [LRW] Sower of Temptation

// Utility
1 [MR] AEther Spellbomb
1 [A] Sol Ring
1 [ALA] Relic of Progenitus
1 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top
1 [FD] Crucible of Worlds

// Creature Control
1 [IN] Repulse
1 [NE] Dominate
1 [U] Control Magic
1 [UD] Treachery
1 [FD] Vedalken Shackles
1 [FUT] Spin into Myth
1 [FNM] Capsize
1 [GP] Repeal
1 [6E] Desertion

// Cantrip and Draw
1 [10E] Telling Time
1 [CST] Brainstorm
1 [TSP] Careful Consideration
1 [7E] Opportunity
1 [MM] Gush
1 [6E] Inspiration
1 [TSP] Think Twice
1 [6E] Mystical Tutor
1 [TSB] Whispers of the Muse
1 [VI] Impulse
1 [FNM] Fact or Fiction
1 [US] Stroke of Genius
1 [6E] Desertion

// Permission
1 [ON] Complicate
1 [M10] Essence Scatter
1 [6E] Memory Lapse
1 [SH] Mana Leak
1 [LG] Mana Drain
1 [CHK] Hinder
1 [AL] Force of Will
1 [FNM] Forbid
1 [LRW] Faerie Trickery
1 [IN] Exclude
1 [DS] Last Word
1 [EVE] Dream Fracture
1 [MI] Dissipate
1 [BOK] Disrupting Shoal
1 [ARE] Dismiss
1 [NE] Daze
1 [LRW] Cryptic Command
1 [BD] Counterspell
1 [FD] Condescend
1 [UL] Miscalculation
1 [MM] Thwart
1 [MOR] Sage's Dousing
1 [ARE] Rewind
1 [RAV] Remand
1 [US] Power Sink
1 [FUT] Pact of Negation

Cards that SHOULD be in the deck:
-Voidmage Husher (repeatable anti-ability, very powerful imo)
-Oblivion Stone / Nevinyrral's Disk (reset button - except no way to tutor for it)
-Mindbreak Trap (exiling spells is good)
-Muddle the Mixture (can tutor for echoing truth)
-Echoing Truth (if tokens are around)
-Annul (enough targets i think)
-Library of Alexandria (if I had one lol)

Also, what do you guys think of going heavier SC-Islands to run Scrying Sheets? I personally think it's not worth it, seeing as we only really have Tolaria West to find it. I would rather opt for more utility lands, like Maze of Ith, Ice Floe, Riptide Lab, Temple of the False God, Ghost/Strip/Waste, Minamo, Oboro, and maybe some manlands.

The only other thing I'm considering is fitting back in the Trinket Mage or Tezzeret (for Needle/Relic/Crypt/Spellbomb/Seat of Synod) package. It might not be worth it, cause some of the artifacts are totally hit and miss. Let me know what you guys think.

hyc8028
12-18-2009, 03:24 AM
I had a clique deck before and I found it was too boring. I switched to Azami and never look back. Anyway, I got some suggestion for your deck.

Personal Tutor - One more way to get Vision.

Crystal Shard/Erratic Portal/Sunken Hope/Anything that repeating bounce your creature - Allow you to abuse clique even more.

Tawnos's Coffin - Temporary lock out opponent's general or abuse clique with it.

Cycle Land are awful because you have no way to abuse cycling and they CIPT. Switch them to basic.

Gauntlet of Power/Extraplanar Lens - Must have for mono color.

Academy Ruin/Time Spiral/Future Sight - Staple for blue EDH

Trinket Mage/Tezzeret - To fetch top. Top alone win games.

Mana Leak/Daze/Memory Lapse/Remana/Miscalculation/etc - Don't fit with 100 cards deck. Use more versatility counters such as Desertion, Commandeer, Foil, etc.

Relearn/Recall/etc - Get Tunnel Vision back from graveyard.

I have more suggestions, but I am too tired now. Good luck on your EDH deck.

badjuju
12-18-2009, 03:53 AM
I had a clique deck before and I found it was too boring. I switched to Azami and never look back. Anyway, I got some suggestion for your deck.

Personal Tutor - One more way to get Vision.

Crystal Shard/Erratic Portal/Sunken Hope/Anything that repeating bounce your creature - Allow you to abuse clique even more.

Tawnos's Coffin - Temporary lock out opponent's general or abuse clique with it.

Cycle Land are awful because you have no way to abuse cycling and they CIPT. Switch them to basic.

Gauntlet of Power/Extraplanar Lens - Must have for mono color.

Academy Ruin/Time Spiral/Future Sight - Staple for blue EDH

Trinket Mage/Tezzeret - To fetch top. Top alone win games.

Mana Leak/Daze/Memory Lapse/Remana/Miscalculation/etc - Don't fit with 100 cards deck. Use more versatility counters such as Desertion, Commandeer, Foil, etc.

Relearn/Recall/etc - Get Tunnel Vision back from graveyard.

I have more suggestions, but I am too tired now. Good luck on your EDH deck.

I don't think you've quite put your finger on this deck. This is a tempo deck, meaning you want to disrupt your opponent just long enough so you can win. With Clique, that's a 7-turn clock starting from EOT 3. My current list is actually slowed down quite a bit with the inclusion of creatures, but the more I've been trying the decklist the more I just want to say "screw it" and play more counterspells. Your opponent will be frantic trying to find ways to stop Clique before he eats 7 punches in the face. I've found that the artifact package is greatly unnecessary to your gameplan. I also thought that Clique might not be enough, but I've already won a few games off jacking opponents' creatures.

A good amount of cards you've listed are all cards that belong in the combo variants (Azami in particular) of the blue decks. This deck doesn't care for any tricks or combos, it just wants to kill its opponent. Boring? Yea probably not the funnest of things. But effective? Most definitely yes. The only thing I'd consider is Personal Tutor. Today I won a game randomly cause I had Tunnel Vision in my hand, so it seems like a pretty viable way to steal games.

On a side note: in my search for the most well-rounded, powerful EDH 1v1 deck, I was recommended combo a few times. I tried it out and wasn't in love with it, and always felt like if I were sitting across from Vendilion Clique that I'd probably lose. Maybe my hands just weren't that great.

xXxBretWeedxXx
12-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Library is banned if your shop is using the Menery list, it's not banned in French 1vs1 EDH lists though.

Mictlantecuhtli
12-18-2009, 10:28 AM
I agree with the Personal Tutor advice. Also, if you consider going for the creatureless version, you can include one Proteus Staff since it is another Tunnel Vision enabler, and it also lets you stack your deck if you target Vendilion Clique.

badjuju
12-18-2009, 02:06 PM
I agree with the Personal Tutor advice. Also, if you consider going for the creatureless version, you can include one Proteus Staff since it is another Tunnel Vision enabler, and it also lets you stack your deck if you target Vendilion Clique.

Haha.

Yea I'm not 100% sure about creatureless. Unfortunately I think Venser + Riptide Lab is too awesome to give up, but I'll have to consider it. Honestly though, while playing the deck I really have to question just how useful creatures like Mistbind Clique, Teferi, Meloku, and Glen Elandra Archmage have been for me. I can see the value in Mistbind, but you need quite a bit of mana to make sure you can still swing the following turn. Pretty sure Vision Charm is also decent as a timewalk (but only against mono-colored decks).

I just want to optimize this list as much as possible towards winning and not worry so much about doing anything cool, so I'll have to test further.

frogboy
12-18-2009, 03:07 PM
Teferi is good because you can't really punish other blue decks for tapping out with the deck as it is. Venser is fine. All of the nonflash ways are just asking to have bad things happen. I'd cut Crystal Spray for Teferi and call it a day. We added Spray because it was good against Rofellos. Then we found out it wasn't permanent, which took it down from "insane" to "playable."

Mystical is on the shortlist of cuttable cards. Personal Tutor is pretty loose.

Tunnel Vision is a six mana sorcery that is kold to a fetchland.

All of the utility lands are already in there. Being able to cycle a dead land is way worth having it come into play tapped.

Trinket Mage basically only ever gets Relic and has an irrelevant body.

Daze and all of it's brethren counter Rofellos.

Library should certainly be in there if you are using French rules. That card is stone retarded.

You need Mindbreak Trap to counter Obliterate. This is one of the reasons Mystical got to stay.

I think the Horde deck is better than Clique. It's approximately even with Clique and has better matchups against everything else.

Generals like Arcum Dagson and Zur just get countered or Bant Charmed, so whatever.

badjuju
12-18-2009, 06:13 PM
Teferi is good because you can't really punish other blue decks for tapping out with the deck as it is. Venser is fine. All of the nonflash ways are just asking to have bad things happen. I'd cut Crystal Spray for Teferi and call it a day. We added Spray because it was good against Rofellos. Then we found out it wasn't permanent, which took it down from "insane" to "playable."

Mystical is on the shortlist of cuttable cards. Personal Tutor is pretty loose.

Tunnel Vision is a six mana sorcery that is kold to a fetchland.

All of the utility lands are already in there. Being able to cycle a dead land is way worth having it come into play tapped.

Trinket Mage basically only ever gets Relic and has an irrelevant body.

Daze and all of it's brethren counter Rofellos.

Library should certainly be in there if you are using French rules. That card is stone retarded.

You need Mindbreak Trap to counter Obliterate. This is one of the reasons Mystical got to stay.

I think the Horde deck is better than Clique. It's approximately even with Clique and has better matchups against everything else.

Generals like Arcum Dagson and Zur just get countered or Bant Charmed, so whatever.

Thanks for the specific points. I'll try out the Horde deck as well just to see what it's like.

Just wondering, how good has AEther Spellbomb been for you guys?
Also, Disk vs Oblivion Stone and no Rewind?