PDA

View Full Version : Strongest/Most broken generals?

Ectoplasm
12-21-2009, 01:37 PM
Who do you guys think the strongest generals in EDH are? And what does it depend on?
Some generals like Gwendlyn Di Corci enable the use of some sick colour-combinations while still doing something marginally useful (going apeshit stormcombo style, while being able to cast a general that does something relevant if you have shitty draws) while others like Uril basically say 'build a deck around me and beat face'.

There's a shitload of EDH side-events around where I live and it might be fun to partake in them from time to time, but I've never really bothered checking out the 'EDH metagame' (if there is one) except on MWS. If I were to ever fork over any of my hard-earned cash on an EDH side-event I'd love to have some more insight in the subject. I play Arcum myself and I think he's up there among the best decks to play, and I'm working on Iname, Death Aspect (still not satisfied) which I think can be completely broken but I'd love to hear some comments by the enlightened minds at the Source.

I personally think Azami and Rofellos are the current best generals, based on my (mostly casual) real-life EDH experiences and MWS play. What do you guys think?

Nightmare
12-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Who do you guys think the strongest generals in EDH are? And what does it depend on?
Some generals like Gwendlyn Di Corci enable the use of some sick colour-combinations while still doing something marginally useful (going apeshit stormcombo style, while being able to cast a general that does something relevant if you have shitty draws) while others like Uril basically say 'build a deck around me and beat face'.

There's a shitload of EDH side-events around where I live and it might be fun to partake in them from time to time, but I've never really bothered checking out the 'EDH metagame' (if there is one) except on MWS. If I were to ever fork over any of my hard-earned cash on an EDH side-event I'd love to have some more insight in the subject. I play Arcum myself and I think he's up there among the best decks to play, and I'm working on Iname, Death Aspect (still not satisfied) which I think can be completely broken but I'd love to hear some comments by the enlightened minds at the Source.

I personally think Azami and Rofellos are the current best generals, based on my (mostly casual) real-life EDH experiences and MWS play. What do you guys think?

As a long-time Azami player, I'll honestly say this:

If you can add black to the deck by playing any number of other generals, do it. It makes the "broken storm deck" far, far more broken. As such, any of the 5c Generals are inherantly more capable of making a dumb storm deck than Azami, or a stupid control deck.

Mirrislegend
12-21-2009, 01:43 PM
Are we talking about true EDH, with it's 4-player free-for-all madness? Or 1v1 EDH? Cuz the most powerful 1v1 generals, such as Rofellos, Azami, Arcum, and Zur, end up playing 1vs3 players at once in the 4-player game: nobody wants to auto lose to them, so everyone gangs up on them.

For 4player EDH, I think the best generals are ones like Sisay and Sens Triplets, and maybe Thraximundar.

Ectoplasm
12-21-2009, 01:47 PM
Are we talking about true EDH, with it's 4-player free-for-all madness? Or 1v1 EDH?

Both, basically. Also I'd like to think that in a perfect world, everybody would be playing equally good (or broken, if you may) generals in an FFA so nobody would discriminate.

badjuju
12-21-2009, 01:49 PM
I just starting playing EDH and was doing a bit of homework.

What I've read (so far) includes these generals as top tier:

Rofellos
Rhada
GAAIV
Arcum Daggson
Erayo
Vendilion Clique
Azami
Zur
Sharuum

I'm sure that there are more, but these are the ones that float around the most often for competitive 1v1.
Basically the best strategies are ones that focus on denial or combo, as Nightmare stated.

Mystical_Jackass
12-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Rafiq
Godo
Karthhus
Rofellos
Braids (no longer, but she's a bi*ch lol)
Sharuum
All suck! lol

Erayo, you might as well play Winter Orb while you're at it and paint a giant bullseye on your forehead :P Since you're basically telegraphing what you're gonna do to them lol

Now good generals vs "generals that make good decks" is a different story >.<

herbig
12-21-2009, 03:14 PM
Azusa, Lost But Awesome

DukeDemonKn1ght
12-21-2009, 07:23 PM
Why is Braids like the only potential general that's banned? I mean, yeah, she's strong... But was she really breaking the format??

Koby
12-21-2009, 11:12 PM
Braids is the only general, that if you ride the faerie dragon and pop her out on turn 1 or 2, will win you the game no matter what.

Otter
12-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Why is Braids like the only potential general that's banned? I mean, yeah, she's strong... But was she really breaking the format??

The only thing Braids does is decrease interaction and she's damn good at it. She serves no other purpose than to Smokestack people out of the game before they even get started. It's detrimental to the whole "fun multiplayer brawl" concept that the format tries to cater towards.

AngryTroll
12-22-2009, 12:01 AM
Horde of Notions is the "best" of the five-color generals, and decent enough for a control deck.

As mentioned, Uril, Azami, and Rofellos are all pretty silly. Gaddock Teag can be a real beating against control, but makes you play silly green and white creatures, so meh.

Sims
12-22-2009, 07:20 AM

I won a 5 player chaos EDH game once by doing this with Braids:

My turn 1: Swamp, Sol Ring, Charcoal Diamond.
Their turn 1's: lands, cipt lands, etc, go.
My turn 2: (Drew mana crypt). Crypt, Swamp, Braids, Bitterblossom, go.
Everyone else: concede.

(nameless one)
12-22-2009, 07:57 AM
Zur aka Dr. Strange could get pretty broken...

Hes so good, he even made the Legacy Crossover :P

If they printed enough rebels, Lin Sivvi might get there. Recurring, Toolboxing key rebels is really good.

I just wish that WoTC prints more rebels.

Mnemon
12-22-2009, 11:58 AM

There were timeshifted rebels in Futuresight so you can still hope.

What about Ashling the Pilgrim? She can do some early beating and will be
a fatty + massremoval and big damage in the lategame. Or is she outclassed
by other red generals like Godo or Kumano?

Bahamuth
12-22-2009, 12:03 PM
Azusa, Lost But Awesome

Azusa is awesome. Does anyone have an Azusa EDH?

Bryant Cook
12-22-2009, 12:32 PM
I'm surprised Godo isn't getting more love. He's absolutely retarded, ask the people around 'Cuse what they think of Protection: Your deck.

Pastorofmuppets
12-22-2009, 12:34 PM
No mention of Sedris yet? For shame! he's fuck-busted in 1v1 as a control piece. I just wish there were more good Evoke creatures in those colors.

chris_acheson
12-22-2009, 12:44 PM
If they printed enough rebels, Lin Sivvi might get there. Recurring, Toolboxing key rebels is really good.

I have a Lin Sivvi deck. She's a good general for 1v1 games. Pretty hilarious against my friend's Rafiq deck. You've got Whipcorder, Defiant Vanguard, pro black/red gliders, Outrider en-Kor + Task Force/Cho-Manno, and Children of Korlis for defense. Once you've built up your mana base and gotten enough guys into play, Mirror Entity serves as the win condition.

It's less impressive in larger multiplayer games, mainly because of the number of wrath effects running around. The deck can recover from being wrathed, but it's slow to do so. One piece of tech that I want to put in is Changeling Hero, simply so that I can recruit it and champion Sivvi in response to a wrath, speeding up my recovery by a turn.

Other than that weakness, the only thing that I feel is really missing is a rebel that can destroy artifacts/enchantments.

whienot
12-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Isn't Lin-Sivvi + Mirror Entity (rebel) + other random rebels busted as hell?

Edit: Ninjutsu

johanessen
12-22-2009, 01:06 PM
Gaddock Teeg is quite broken and so lame ...

But I like Zur's brokeness

frogboy
12-22-2009, 04:22 PM
I would battle all comers for any amount in 1v1 with Horde of Notions.

ddt15
12-23-2009, 06:20 AM
BraidsStax is just broken in this format, banned for a good reason. Turn 2 lock everyone? We'll scoop.

Erayo, draw-go is almost as lame as Braids.

ZurPotence is also ridiculous. Decides the game after two or three swings+he comes down fast.

Karn, artifact beating is fast and furious + alot of combo's in the deck.

practical joke
12-24-2009, 09:21 AM
Gaddock Teeg is annoying as hell.

Right now I play a Astral slide, horde of notions EDH. It's a pure 1 on 1, but I found out it works very well in multiplayer as well.

herbig
12-24-2009, 09:54 AM
Azusa is awesome. Does anyone have an Azusa EDH?

Azusa is ridiculous.

Ectoplasm
12-24-2009, 10:04 AM

How is Karn better than Arcum?

Mnemon
12-24-2009, 11:14 AM
Would someone mind posting their awesome and ridiculous Azusa lists ?

Bryant Cook
12-24-2009, 02:54 PM
I kicked the crap out of Oona - Combo and Horde - Control with Kresh today.

I'm still psyched, that is all.

Nihlistdeathtrip
12-25-2009, 03:27 PM
no mention of arcum yet? he is teh haxxorz

and btw: http://forum.dragonhighlander.net/EDH_Forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=487

a voting process that took FUKIN FOREVER! the players voted on the best general by color combination etc. good ideas for busted generals

Eatatjoes
12-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Seems like a bunch of idiots voted. How do they vote silvos over rofellos? Rofellos is obviously the best green general. Ive never heard of anyone complain about banning silvos, or making hate threads about him. I dont agree with most of those choices.

JeroenC
12-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Odds are the votes were placed before Rofellos was unbanned. I doubt the votes would have gone that way otherwise. But anyway, Sek'Kuar over Kresh? Kumano over Kiki-Jiki, or even the red Maro from Saviors? Seems iffy.

xXxBretWeedxXx
12-28-2009, 09:39 AM
I kicked the crap out of Oona - Combo and Horde - Control with Kresh today.

I'm still psyched, that is all.

Kicked the crap out of, seems like an overstatement when you were a top deck away from losing, after you had wiped my board twice with Kiki-Woodfall.

:-p

dahcmai
01-10-2010, 01:32 PM
I'll have to post the list up when I get a chance, but I think I found the most broken one for 4 player. Gerrard Capashen is stupid. I filled a deck with life gain just for laughs and soon realized that everyone mysteriously beats on the guy with the highest life total even if he's not doing anything else.

When I started compensating for the fact I was going to get ganged up on, it turned the deck into some sort of monster that literally could handle taking on three people at once. You just sit there gaining life then using your stupid life total with odd cards like Book of Rass or to pay for ridiculous amounts of card drawing or damage prevention.

I was hit by a Magister Sphinx, then several burn spells, and people swung in a ton of creatures and I just gained 300 or so life in response to the swing. It's dumb. You don't even bother wrathing off creatures most of the time.

I figure he's the most synergestic general I have ever seen with a strategy like this. The guy himself sits and gains life also. With something like Cradle of Vitality out he pumps himself up to stupid amounts of counters, taps an opponents creatures out of the way and typically can kill in one swing with General damage.

Truly silly.

MPL
01-10-2010, 01:45 PM
I would love to see a list, because to be honest I have no idea how you evade general damage.

Cesarius
01-10-2010, 03:01 PM
New to EDH here.

I've always wanted to play with a cat themed deck since I first started playing around Mirrodin and I found equipments to be teh bomb. It should come as no surprise that I'm currently running Raksha (not entirely finished but getting there). And boy was I pleasantly surprised.

University is a bitch and I haven't gotten around to play it much, but I can say this: Every monocoloured general running plenty of basics and with access to stuff that fetches artifacts should run Extraplanar Lens. That thing is beyond silly in terms of acceleration. Basically my deck consists of:
- Cats, lots of them.
- Stuff that pumps your guys.
- Stuff that kills your, but mostly their guys (think mass removal).
- Few mana/utility artifacts.
- Stuff that digs for equipments.
- Equipment, lots of it.

Gameplan: Sit back and build up a few creatures, stick some silly stuff underneath them and decide to either go aggressive or play mind games. Then resolve Raksha, stick something underneath him that involves giving him shroud, and watch your critters become frikkin leviathans. Watch Jitte netting 4 counters/swing. Watch SoFaI/SoLaS trigger twice per connect. Etc.

Maybe not the best, but still damn good.

xXxBretWeedxXx
01-10-2010, 04:27 PM
I'll have to post the list up when I get a chance, but I think I found the most broken one for 4 player. Gerrard Capashen is stupid. I filled a deck with life gain just for laughs and soon realized that everyone mysteriously beats on the guy with the highest life total even if he's not doing anything else.

When I started compensating for the fact I was going to get ganged up on, it turned the deck into some sort of monster that literally could handle taking on three people at once. You just sit there gaining life then using your stupid life total with odd cards like Book of Rass or to pay for ridiculous amounts of card drawing or damage prevention.

I was hit by a Magister Sphinx, then several burn spells, and people swung in a ton of creatures and I just gained 300 or so life in response to the swing. It's dumb. You don't even bother wrathing off creatures most of the time.

I figure he's the most synergestic general I have ever seen with a strategy like this. The guy himself sits and gains life also. With something like Cradle of Vitality out he pumps himself up to stupid amounts of counters, taps an opponents creatures out of the way and typically can kill in one swing with General damage.

Truly silly.

Lifegain doesn't make a General broken. It's easily the worst strategy in EDH.

Of my 5 decks only my Rith token beats deck would have a difficult time with such a deck, even then Rith could get in there for 21 and it gains a bunch of life and deals a ton of damage so I still feel the pressure would be on the Capashen deck.

My Slivers deck combos out to deal infinite damage, mill/ destroy all permanents, ect. Lifegain isn't ever an issue, Overlord will swing for the win in at least 3 turns at worst.

My 5 color Ally deck seems to win mainly through a Reveillark combo with does infinite damage. Doesn't care about lifegain that much.

Rafiq is all about general damage. I don't think I've ever dealt 40 damage to a player for the win.

And Oona exiles libraries as a main win condition, general beats as a secondary, capsize locks as a last resort.

And that's just my personal decks. The only deck in my playgroup that would probably not be a fan is the Rhys the Redeemed token swarm/overrun deck. Doesn't seem very strong.

Sek'Kuar
01-11-2010, 10:52 PM
He's not one of the most broken, but in terms of sheer, raw power, you can't beat a good Kamahl, Fist of Krosa deck. The absurdity of a triple or quadruple overrun with fifteen or so elves in play is just astounding. He is my aggro choice. Combo; I play the ridiculous pile of broken that is Azami, Lady of Infinite Card Advantage. In terms of control I strongly recommend and favor Teysa, Orzhov Scion. And my midrange deck is the incredibly silly Jhoira of the Ghitu, because nothing says love like "oops, Sway of the Stars goes off, then Akroma, Angel of Fury, Greater Gargadon, Dragon Tyrant, and Thunderblust come into play, I drop a mountain, pump Akroma. You, you, you, and you: Die."

Those are what I run and I have not been disappointed yet.

heroicraptor
01-11-2010, 11:04 PM
He's not one of the most broken, but in terms of sheer, raw power, you can't beat a good Kamahl, Fist of Krosa deck. The absurdity of a triple or quadruple overrun with fifteen or so elves in play is just astounding. He is my aggro choice. Combo; I play the ridiculous pile of broken that is Azami, Lady of Infinite Card Advantage. In terms of control I strongly recommend and favor Teysa, Orzhov Scion. And my midrange deck is the incredibly silly Jhoira of the Ghitu, because nothing says love like "oops, Sway of the Stars goes off, then Akroma, Angel of Fury, Greater Gargadon, Dragon Tyrant, and Thunderblust come into play, I drop a mountain, pump Akroma. You, you, you, and you: Die."

Those are what I run and I have not been disappointed yet.

Sway of the Stars is banned (http://forum.dragonhighlander.net/EDH_Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=261)

dahcmai
01-11-2010, 11:39 PM
White has some of the best "avoid damage" cards there are. Righteous Aura is one of the better ones for avoiding General damage. Pay 2 life and they don't do anything. After all, you do have a few hundred life to pay.

I also play with a few ways to just plain nullify them. Aurafication, Recumbent Bliss, Faith's Fetters, Atalya, Samite Master, Cessation. Not counting the ways to just plain kill a general.

As for infinite combos, well I don't know of too many decks that deal with that very well. I do have ways to deal with some, just depends on what it is. I can gain infinite in response as an instant luckily if it comes down to it. I just typically don't do that since it attracts too much attention and I play for fun more than anything anyway. It does do things besides gain life. It just does that part well. I can attack with a 50/50 general also quite quickly or just flat call it good and win via one of the lifegain wins like Celestial Convergence.

I posted it up since it is fun as hell and I can always use ideas though some of the cards I use are subpar on purpose.

BGH
01-28-2010, 06:55 PM
i got a little pool of decks and think, that these are the broken guys:

erayo, scooping servant (when your opponents are made of steel you are a magnet by putting him on the table)
azami, awesome but quick dead (did you know, that the azami deck may mill all 3 players at once turn 4-5? and you wonder, why you are hated?)
arcum dagsson (nooooo, never i only try to get stax lock with 3-sphere online, so please don't attack me 'till then...ups...)
rofelos, the mana flooded (isn't infinite mana turn 2-3 a little quick? no never!)
rafiq, which attacks only once per opponent (really, this guy deals 21 generaldamage with one attack after he wiped the board)
jhoira, time spiral on legs (oh, did i make enough turns so that you never will be having one? and is this turn 4-6? ups, sorry!)
horde of notions (you know that beat down is bad in edh, right? ok and now???)
sliver tutorlord (did i read right? you can search for any sliver? ok, i attack you!)
(the blue) ertai, counter all the day [only 1vs1](i had such things like turn 1 ertai + turn 2 active adding turn 3 a laboratory and win the game...is this good?)

maybe there are others too, but these are the guys i can play with/against from time to time and they suck as long as i'm not playing them (have only the blue ones and jhoira)

edit: i forgot the incredible scion of "oh, this is called a dragon combo in vintage?!"

Wargoos
01-28-2010, 07:16 PM

This!
I love my Karn EDH, it's so fun to plan and can get pretty retarded pretty fast.
I played it just on mws though, because here in germany people rather play "highlander" format over EDH, which involves packing cards without restriction besides the typical into the deck.
I like EDH more and when I ever get overseas or people start to play EDH over here, artifacts will smash your face. :)

Lego
04-27-2010, 04:00 PM
I would battle all comers for any amount in 1v1 with Horde of Notions.

This deck seems like a lot of fun, I really want to see it! Is it terrible in multiplayer though?

frogboy
04-27-2010, 04:15 PM
General: Horde of Notions
// DARE to resist drugs and violence
// (”just say no”)
Miscalculation
Counterspell
Mana Drain
Remand
Dissipate
Faerie Trickery
Forbid
Hinder
Dismiss
Cryptic Command
Force of Will
Force Spike
Power Sink
Complicate
Spell Snare
Mindbreak Trap
Exclude
// SO MANY CARDS
Ancestral Visions
Senseis Divining Top
Impulse
Fact or Fiction
Skeletal Scrying
Opportunity
Brainstorm
Thirst for Knowledge
Stroke of Genius
// “highlander” eh?
Mystical Tutor
Vampiric Tutor
Demonic Tutor
Tainted Pact
Intuition
Mystical Teachings
// Get it out
Swords to Plowshares
Path to Exile
Cremate
Bant Charm
Krosan Grip
Fire
Doom Blade
Jund Charm
Starstorm
Sicken
Spark Spray
Pyrite Spellbomb
Vindicate
Diabolic Edict
Wrath of God
Akromas Vengeance
Innocent Blood
// Thermonuclear devices
Life from the Loam
Mind Twist
All Suns Dawn
Pulse of the Fields
Necropotence
// lands and things
Mana Crypt
Sol Ring
City of Brass
Reflecting Pool
Dust Bowl
Strip Mine
Underground Sea
Tundra
Tropical Island
Volcanic Island
Savannah
Bayou
Scrubland
Watery Grave
Hallowed Fountain
Steam Vents
Breeding Pool
Windswept Heath
Polluted Delta
Flooded Strand
Bloodstained Mire
Wooded Foothills
Verdant Catacombs
Arid Mesa
Marsh Flats
Misty Rainforest
Scalding Tarn
Secluded Steppe
Tranquil Thicket
Forgotten Cave
Lonely Sandbar
Barren Moor
Arcane Sanctum
Crumbling Necropolis
Seaside Citadel
Vivid Creek
Vivid Meadow
Minamo, School at Waters Edge
Tolaria
Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
Snow-covered Island
Island
Swamp
Plains
Forest

Magosi, the Waterveil should probably go in there. Deprive might make it. Adding Mindslaver/Ruins/EE might be okay. Explosives should actually probably go in there, which means you need Ruins, too. Slaver is dead unless you get the combo, which is why it was cut. Jace also needs to be on the team. I haven't looked at much from Worldwake or Rise. Deprive, maybe.

A multiplayer version would play way fewer counterspells and way more removal. And Mind's Eye. You'd probably also want to be able to infinite out a table rather than attack with Horde DI.

Aggro_zombies
04-27-2010, 04:27 PM
General: Horde of Notions
// DARE to resist drugs and violence
// (”just say no”)
Miscalculation
Counterspell
Mana Drain
Remand
Dissipate
Faerie Trickery
Forbid
Hinder
Dismiss
Cryptic Command
Force of Will
Force Spike
Power Sink
Complicate
Spell Snare
Mindbreak Trap
Exclude
// SO MANY CARDS
Ancestral Visions
Senseis Divining Top
Impulse
Fact or Fiction
Skeletal Scrying
Opportunity
Brainstorm
Thirst for Knowledge
Stroke of Genius
// “highlander” eh?
Mystical Tutor
Vampiric Tutor
Demonic Tutor
Tainted Pact
Intuition
Mystical Teachings
// Get it out
Swords to Plowshares
Path to Exile
Cremate
Bant Charm
Krosan Grip
Fire
Doom Blade
Jund Charm
Starstorm
Sicken
Spark Spray
Pyrite Spellbomb
Vindicate
Diabolic Edict
Wrath of God
Akromas Vengeance
Innocent Blood
// Thermonuclear devices
Life from the Loam
Mind Twist
All Suns Dawn
Pulse of the Fields
Necropotence
// lands and things
Mana Crypt
Sol Ring
City of Brass
Reflecting Pool
Dust Bowl
Strip Mine
Underground Sea
Tundra
Tropical Island
Volcanic Island
Savannah
Bayou
Scrubland
Watery Grave
Hallowed Fountain
Steam Vents
Breeding Pool
Windswept Heath
Polluted Delta
Flooded Strand
Bloodstained Mire
Wooded Foothills
Verdant Catacombs
Arid Mesa
Marsh Flats
Misty Rainforest
Scalding Tarn
Secluded Steppe
Tranquil Thicket
Forgotten Cave
Lonely Sandbar
Barren Moor
Arcane Sanctum
Crumbling Necropolis
Seaside Citadel
Vivid Creek
Vivid Meadow
Minamo, School at Waters Edge
Tolaria
Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
Snow-covered Island
Island
Swamp
Plains
Forest
WARNING: This deck is boring as fuck to play against, unless you get off to never being able to do anything and/or run the exact same general and/or run an even bigger counter suite.

Angrytroll has a similar deck and it sucked the life out of the games we played. I played a fun Saffi deck and spent the entire time regretting not bringing my douchebag Oona deck with me.

perm
04-27-2010, 07:47 PM
I will argue Zur just because of the fact that he eliminates the limitations of EDH deck size to card number ratio. He tutors and gives you *free* card advantage AND board position.

Koby
05-05-2010, 12:29 AM
I would like to nominate Thada Adel, Acquisitor to the broken general list:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4036/4579916731_a199be5764_o.jpg

Stealing people's Gauntlet of Power and Sculpting Steel is a bit too punishing in a monoblue deck. Go figure!

(Cast Gauntlet of Power, Thada out 2 more, Thada out 2 Sculpting Steel, cast Karn, animate Glove, Clone, Vesuvan Shapeshifter, Rite of Replication.... gg!)

SpikeyMikey
05-22-2010, 08:40 AM
I'm really surprised that no mention has been made of Doran. B/G/W has been a viable archetype in T1 and later Legacy, even if only at the fringes, for a long time because of the power of it's removal spells. You have access to all the good, broad answers, like Pulse, Vindicate, Deed, Mortify, Putrefy, etc. You've got all the black tutors, which means you can set up Crucible lock (sometimes with Exploration) on turn 2-4 pretty consistently. You've got Survival of the Fittest, which lets you do busted things with Reveilark. My roomate plays it, it's a real pain in the ass to play against, because if you don't have plenty of artifact/enchantment removal, you're going to lose to things like necro or survival or crucible.

I'm currently having a lot of fun with Wydwen as a control shell. She's not as good as she was prior to M10 (let me throw a quick "WotC sucks" in here), but she's still tough to remove and U/B is a solid set of colors for control. I wouldn't call her busted by any stretch, but still good.

Dilettante
05-22-2010, 10:03 AM
I consider the scariest generals to face in multiplayer are the ones where... the more oblivious players only look at current board position and tend to ignore the player ready to combo off and kill everyone and instead attack the ones with position to try to disrupt the 'gib everyone' player. Single player, it's the ones who control the board off the bat or arc so fast that the other player can not keep up.

Multiplayer:
Erayo, Soratami Ascendant
Azami, Lady of Scrolls (Time walking builds)
Sharuum the Hegemon
Jhoira of the Ghitu (Builds heavy on the build up to Wildfires/Jokulhaups type effects + suspend)
Phelddagrif (Only because they get all the time in the world to set up their combos)

Single Player:
Erayo, Soratami Ascendant
Thada Adel, Acquisitor
Vendilion Clique
Gaddock Teeg
Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed (Pox style builds)

Cesarius
05-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Vendilion Clique is stupid good. 3 general damage/turn with a fuckload of counters and other unfun stuff to protect it basically gets there.
I was on the receiving end of this two days ago, mind you I was on the draw:
Opponent T1: Island, Sol Ring, Isochron Scepter with a Brainstorm stuck under it. At this point I was already groaning. Things didn't look too good for my slightly more casual Raksha EDH.
My T1: Plains, Land Tax. That's okay right? It resolved.
Opponent T2: Island, Counterbalance.

Yeah, fun times.

Cfetchcaviar
12-11-2015, 12:45 PM
Vendilion Clique is stupid good. 3 general damage/turn with a fuckload of counters and other unfun stuff to protect it basically gets there.
I was on the receiving end of this two days ago, mind you I was on the draw:
Opponent T1: Island, Sol Ring, Isochron Scepter with a Brainstorm stuck under it. At this point I was already groaning. Things didn't look too good for my slightly more casual Raksha EDH.
My T1: Plains, Land Tax. That's okay right? It resolved.
Opponent T2: Island, Counterbalance.

Yeah, fun times.

V oppressive. Love it.

Animar
Azami
Azusa
Xiao dun
Ob nixilis
Tribal rebels

MarineRaider
12-18-2015, 05:22 PM
I am surprised no-one has said Kaalia of the Vast, that is the commander all of my playgroup hates.

Cfetchcaviar
12-18-2015, 05:49 PM
I am surprised no-one has said Kaalia of the Vast, that is the commander all of my playgroup hates.

3 colors is weird. conditional on kalia, and other cheat effects. spot removal is good against everything they have.

jake556
12-19-2015, 03:41 PM
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/028/430/raise_thread.jpg

Megadeus
12-20-2015, 02:27 AM

Considering this post died before EDH was even renamed commander much less before she even existed

MarineRaider
01-08-2016, 10:03 AM
Considering this post died before EDH was even renamed commander much less before she even existed

My bad-guess I didn't realize that :frown: