PDA

View Full Version : SPOD World Raidning Tour: Hanau Part 1

spirit of the wretch
12-30-2009, 09:12 PM
Yeah well, kids, there once was a time between Christmas and New Year`s Eve when people came to rest and repose.
OOOOOOOR complete nerds like yours truly and his gang gathered to sling some magical cards. Because, let's face it, calm and peace are for suckers and Legcay is ... well... yeah ... whatever!
So we drove to Hanau (which isn't as far for Karlsruhe as you would imagine... or you wouldn't, because honstely why should you?) to, I'm almost ashamed to say it, play Legacy. No notable drinking before and only 24 players at the sideevent at Germanmagic 1 (http://www.germanmagic.de/), a week of PTQs (whatever), Highlander (if it wasn't on the hangover day) and eternal formats. So why the hell am I writing this report to compete with one written by Bardo? Well, first and foremost I'm pretty drunk right now, second I need to tell all the german speeking audience about the amazing Blutjungs (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=blutjungs&search_type=&aq=f) and more important: someone needs to represent the awesomness of the team. And obiously that would be me!
Anyway, we arrive, head to the local super market and extend our suplies of food (read: meat and chillies) and beer (thanks, captain obvious). We feast and booze and way too soon, the tourney starts.

To all the fans of the epic drunken pre-tourney "parties" (also called: massive alcohol abuse meetings): Screw you, we don't need to drink to be awesome... but it sure helps a lot =)

Anyway, after exessive "testing", I decide that Legacy sucks and I'd have to play a sucky deck. So I played Canadian Thresh. If you're zealous supporter of that deck and feel insulted by my comment, well... goan f**k yourself.

Here's who competed:

Martin “MSC” Schreiber: Bant Survival
Harald “Locutus” Herrlich: UB Loam/Rock
Stefan "spirit of the wretch" Czolk: Tempo Thresh

Standart list (with two Trygon Predators in the bouce-slot) for me and off we go:

Round 1: Helge with Supreme Blue
Game 1: I win the roll, but don't have a lot of mana disruption going on, so I follow the "beatdown plan" with a Mongoo (1/1 dudes aren't a particular impressive plan, but they're pretty funny) against his empty board, while he estabishes his mana base. Seeing only Bant colours I decide to enfoce my "army" (yeah, still talking about that 1/1 guy, still funny) with a Predator. So he calmly fetchs a Volcanic Island (still funny) and reveals me the Firespout (now it's sad!). Well, didn't see that one coming. Soon enough a Counterbalance joins the "fun" (see what I'm doing here) and I get trashed. Is that why they called it that way?
Pardon my pseudo-english jokes.

Game 2: I really would like to tell you the story of how I bashed someone into oblivioation with my supreme card-slinging powers but seriously, I don't remember anything about that game. Might be due to the amounts of beer consumed since, but thats just rumors. My notices tell me, that he pretty much died without any resistance.

Game 3: I do remember what happend in this game: He plays a four colour deck and I play Stifle/Waste. I draw 3 Wastenlads and a Stifle and tht's pretty much all she wrote. He claims to have a good matchup against Tempo Thrah, but the fact that he finishes the game with a lonely Island in play weakens his point considerably. Seems like his MU isn't that good after all. Again, if you're a supporter of Supreme Blue, go tell someone who cares...

1/0/0 2:1

Round 2: Pierre (???) with Ugr Dreadstill
Game 1: He walks up to me and tells me, that I'm lucky as usual (yeah, he didn`t need to point that one out especially) and that he gets a matchloss for not beeing able to write a declist correctly. Yay for me!

Game 2: He start out with a single Fetch into Island and decides to stay there for a while. I on the other hand do have mana as well as a Mongoo and go for the slow-beat-plan again. He tries to escape for his lonely island (more bad Cast Away puns incoming), but my Daze (on his Brainstorm), Wasteland and Stifle keep him stranded (there they are). He too finishes the game with a single Island in play. Call me: master of the seas!

2/0/0 4:1

Round 3: (???) with Merfolk
Game 1: He plays a Cursecatcher and I do nothing. Turn three, the board is pretty much the same with his little Merfolk and me pretty obiously unable to find a green mana source, he decides to play a Standstill... Yeah, right so I've got all the time in the world to find some green mana, what a scrub. Or so I thought. 10 (!!!) turns later I'm at 7 and still haven't found more than one Tropical. I decide to break the Standstall at the end of his turn (never nets you any cardadvantage that enchantment, does it?) and play a Mongoose. Surprisingly he overwhlems me with Lord-advantage (the self-evident kind of surprisingly). Damn that mana base!

Game 2: We trade blows, meaning I kill two Cursecatcher with a F/I while he chains Silvergill Adepts. Everybody's trying to grind out the last bit of cardadvantage he can find which, let's face it isn't much. I resolve a Mongoose while he gets a LoA. Almost a fair trade. It all boils down to the situation where he has one card in his hand and a LoA with two Adepts on the board while I have a threshed Mongoose and three mana. I play a Pyroclasm hoping he doesn't have the Spellpierce (which he's shown me earlier). He hasn't and we're off to game three.

Game 3: I really don't like to talk smack about my opponents (LIES), but this one is just a suck-festival like no tomorrow (NO TOMORROW!):

Not putting counters on your Vial
Hardcasting Kira when you have an untapped Vial on three (and getting her countered)
Stealing a Goyf with Threads of Disloyalty and not attacking into two Mongoose except the favourable board position

All in all, it really looked grim for me, especially as he drew quite well resolving the Threads (Force + pitch beeing his last two cards in hand) into: 2x Catcher, Mutavault, Vial, Goyf against 2 Mongoose. He doesn't play agressive though and only draws counterspells to give me the time to find a Predator. The Predator does what he is suppoed to do and wrecks complete havoc. In the end green dudes > blue dudes.

3/0/0 6:2

Round 4: Tobias with ITF
Game 1: I'm on the play and do what every good player should: I mana screw the hell out off him. Off course, I don't do it by actually using spells but by sheer power of will (is that even a sentence in this language? I doubt it, but hey, who cares). Turn 4 his mana base consist of an Island, a Plain, a Stronghold and a Tundra. You see what's missing? RRRRRRIght, relevant colours. I counter a Etched Oracle (once for 2 and once for 3... yeah, evil shit) to keep on beating down with the Mongoo and that gets the job done. Doesn't sound like an achievement? Well, It wasn't really, but hey, I'm still awesome =)
Game 2: My plan to mana screw the hell out off him proceeds, well let's say suboptimal. As a consequence he gets multiple Kitchen Finks online and my Mongeese can't compete with that shit. Believe me, I tried (with all the Tormod's Cryt tricks I could imagine) and failed. Horribly!
Game 3: We go on and on, I get him down to one life mulitble times (damn you, Finks!) he manages to clear my board in a last-ditch effort and resolves two Counterbalances and two Tops. This is the time when I decide to misplay horribly (I can't even count the number of times, although Harald was kind enough to point all of them out to me after the match) and simply refuse to win despite my hand of Stifle, 2 Bolts, Submerge... This hand should have won somewhere down the road, but I just suck at this game... Well whatever. the game goes to time and nobody is happy.

3/0/1 7:3

Round 5: (???) with Goyf Sligh
Game 1: I mindtrick my opponent into mulligan to 4. That's pretty much all that happend. Damn, I'm awesome!
Game 2: I mulligan down to five (fair enough ?!?) and he keeps a one lander. So in the end I manage to mana screw him (DAMN I'M AWESOME) and leave him with an empty board. Must be nice =) The best remark: "Didn't you board those out????" as I sifled his only fetchland. A classic! Kept me laughing the whole evening (though it doesn't translate particularly well into internet humour).

4/0/1 9:3

In the end I finish in first place right before Simon Ritzka because of my better oppscore (a fact that both of us didn't really expect). Nice one =) Harald also manages to sneak his way into the Top8 and so we finish:

Martin “MSC” Schreiber: 2/3/0
Harald “Locutus” Herrlich: 3/2/0 and 7th
Stefan "spirit of the wretch" Czolk: 4/0/1 and 1st

Props:
- Team SPOD, especially MSC for driving and Harald for drinking
- Meat and Chillies
- Me, obviously
- Blutjungs, for beeing the most awesome musical act that the country of poets and thinkers (that doesn't translate well) ever produced

Slops:
- Price support for beeing really wide spread, which sucks if you win
- Traffic

So, see you next saturday, when we sling for the big prices!

MSC
12-30-2009, 09:35 PM
Nice Report.

I failed myself out of competition by making a huge mistake Game 3 against Meerfolk. Game 2, after I won Game 1 on the Back of Rhox War Monk, he is so nice to play a Second Turn Standstill. On an empty Board. Without Vial, Creature or Manland in Hand. This was quite nice of him, cause so I could develop my Manabase of 3 Fetchlands without beeing bothered by Stifles or Creatures. After breaking the Standstill, not resolving a RWM through Counters, but two Goyf instead, he Taps out for Reejery and Wakethrasher. I have a Explosives and 2 Swords in Hand but only one white Mana. Instead of taking the Chance of clearing the Board I only Sword the Reejery. He untaps, hits me for 8 with the Thrasher. Next Turn he Forces my Sword (Hardcast) and I proceed to loose the game.

Time to learn to play :frown:

Nidd
12-30-2009, 09:54 PM
Boy, next time put up a warning somewhere so I can tie myself to the chair before reading. You remind me of myself so hard it's insane.

Pretty nice report and congratulations on your 1st place!

Purgatory
12-30-2009, 11:47 PM
Nice report, thanks for writing it up.

On an "alcohol and Magic"-related note, I find that I play like shit while drunk (or MWS is just messy with the shuffling when I come home alone and miserable) but I'm awesome when hung over. A good night of drinking before a tournament is what the doctor prescribes, at least if I'm not driving anywhere.

MSC
01-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Okay, here is a different Type of Tournament Report:

How you should not perform on a Tournament
Or Diner for One with the wrong Deck

Normaly you do the following:
1. Take a Deck with Goyfs with you...
2. ...
3. Profit!

Obvisly my Goyfs have not arrived yet, so I have no Deck to play at the 2. Januar Legacy-Event in Hanau. Normaly I take my enhanced Version of Angel Stompy under such circumstances.
But my Teammates believe, that every Deck is better than this and Mind Trick me into playing Stupid Red Burn. Here's what happened:

There are 270 Players at the Tournament, meaning 9 Rounds to play.

Round 1
I win the Dice-Roll, but my opponent is totaly unimpressed and plays Turn 2 CB. Followed by Turn 3 Rhox War Monk. Followed by Turn 4 RWM!
Nice Start.
Game 2 I can kill the Monk and Counter his Balance. My Opponent is still unimpressed and drops a Goyf. Followed by a Goyf the Turn after. I Scoop and he reveals me another Goyf in his Hand and Goyf Nr. 4 on Top of his Library.
Well played Sir!

Round 2
I win the Dice-Roll and get some early damage, but my opponent plays a Turn 3 Rhox War Monk and forced my Attemp to kill him. On a Sidenote: Keeping a 3-Land Hand isn't good if you draw 3 Lands in 3 Rounds...
Game 2 he has Turn 3 Survival followed by Turn 4 Iona on Red.
Nothing to say (or to do) against that.

Round 3
This time CB waits till Round 3 to Enter the Field. I try to play around it while racing Goyf + 2 Trygon Predators.
I .... didn't.
Game 2 he revals me, that he was actually colorscrew and plays 4 Colors. This means Rhox War Monk again. Plus a CB. And a Force and a Blue Elemtal Blast for the 2 Fireblasts I have for the Monk.

Round 4
This Time no Blue is involved. My opponent plays Zoo and I can race him despite of his Jitte, cause a Price of Progress for 8 is just this good.
Game 2 he has a Steppe Lynx. Plus a Fetchland and another Lynx. And another Fetchland Next Turn. No Flamebreak for me, so I decide to go for his Face, thinking, he doesn't have another Fetchland.
Well ... he did.
Game 3 we fight over a Lavamancer with a Jitte, but I'm Manascrew. In the End I get rid of him, but the Jitte remains. Happily carried by a giant Goyf...

At this point I drop and I'm thrououtly thankful to my Team-Members for the perfect Deckchoice...

Better Luck tomorrow. Then with 100% more Goyfs. :tongue: