PDA

View Full Version : [EDH] Reaper King

94teen
01-06-2010, 12:58 PM
First EDH deck I wanted to build. I've finally got it together, and it's a blast to play. Some five color goodstuff and regrowths. The deck is based on a few ideas:

1) Fetchland synergy with Rings of Brighthearth and Crucible of Worlds is insane. I want to set one of these up as quickly as possible.

2) Fill the deck with bombs and recursion; if the best spells are good once, they're better twice.

3) By the time you make bomby plays, it should be too late for other players to stop you.

4) Run as many card advantage engines as possible; General synergies are awesome if they don't take up too many slots.

General: Reaper King

Land
10 Fetchlands
10 Shocklands
10 Dual Lands
1 Reflecting Pool
1 Strip Mine
1 Krosan Verge
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Volrath's Stronghold
1 Cephalid Coliseum
1 Nomad Stadium

Oblivion Ring
Swords to Plowshares
Path to Exile
Elspeth, Knight-Errant
Academy Rector
Idyllic Tutor
Enlightened Tutor

Fabricate
Allied Strategies
Opportunity
Fact or Fiction
Future Sight
Bringer of the Blue Dawn
Cryptic Command
Time Stretch
Tezzeret, the Seeker

Demonic Tutor
Vampiric Tutor
Bringer of the Black Dawn
Conspiracy
Decree of Pain
Liliana Vess
Damnation

Recoup
Wheel of Fortune

Prismatic Omen
Regrowth
Doubling Season
Eternal Witness
Bringer of the Green Dawn
All Suns' Dawn
Reap and Sow
Azusa, Lost but Seeking
Restock
Oracle of Mul Daya
Seedguide Ash
Shard Convergence

Rings of Brighthearth
Crucible of Worlds
Legacy Weapon
Etched Oracle
Sensei's Divining Top
Mox Diamond

Mirari's Wake
Progenitus
Nicol Bolas Planeswalker
Last Stand
Putrefy
Pernicious Deed
Spitting Image
Oona, Queen of the Fae
Debtor's Knell
Terminate
Maelstrom Nexus
Maelstrom Pulse
Reborn Hope
Conflux
Angel of Despair
Mortify
Wargate
Vindicate
Vengful Rebirth
Maelstrom Archangel

So there are a ton of ways to dump lands into play as quickly as possible, between Oracle, Azusa, Crucible, etc. The amount of deck thinning that you do in a game is actually incredibly relevant most of the time; I've emptied the deck of fetchable lands in the games I've played so far. I should probably fit Life from the Loam into here for more synergy with the fetchlands, especially because of how much recursion there is in the deck; but I think it's alright for now.

Once you start casting bombs, your spells are, on average, so much better than everyone else's that you can just start to dominate a game. IF you ever manage to untap after casting Conflux, you should win the game on the spot.

There are a few cards I really want to fit into the deck, but I'm not sure what to cut. You need most of the tutors to set up your land engine, and you need a lot of answers to make sure you can stay in the game long enough to start casting bombs. The only things I can see cutting are the Reaper King Synergies, but those have been awesome when they come up. Last Stand suddenly reads "destroy target permanent for each forest you control," Elspeth becomes broken, etc, etc.

Here are some things I'd like to add:

Mirari
Cruel Ultimatum
Naya Charm
Bant Charm
Nucklavee
Mystical Tutor

Let me know what you think, suggestions and comments are more than welcome.

jimirynk
01-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Whenever another Scarecrow enters the battlefield under your control, destroy target permanent.

94teen
01-06-2010, 02:57 PM
That's the reason for Conspiracy. that's why I'm hesitant to try to abuse that. You're dependent on one card to make the rest of them good. Otherwise, Reaper King is just a 6/6 for 5. Artificial Evolution provides some redundancy, but it's so narrow and makes Reaper King get targeted by the next removal spell regardless of board position.

Malchar
01-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Scarecrone is a huge bomb if you get the general and another scarecrow to recur. Another decklist that I've seen powers out the general and then plays a bunch of cheap scarecrows for the vindicate. Another fun card is Favor the Mighty. If you don't want to use the scarecrow synergy, you could try using any other five color general that might have a bigger impact on the game.

Hunding Gjornersen
01-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Chameleon Colossus is large, has some sort of evasion and protection, and is a scarecrow.