PDA

View Full Version : [EDH] Gerrard Capashen

dahcmai
01-12-2010, 12:20 AM
Yeah, Really. Out of all of my EDH decks and even counting my freinds decks, this one is the most dangerous somehow. I have 6 decks and none of them even come close to the amount of hate this one generates.

I wanted to make a stupid EDH deck that was about as relentlessly stupid as you could get. I ended up with a monster of a deck that typically wins games quite quickly with everyone in the game going after me. It's amusing, but it works.

Manas

23x Plains
Eiganjo Castle
Kor Haven
Forbidding Watchtower
Flagstones of Trokair
Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
New Benalia
Thawing Glaciers
Drfting Meadow
Starlit Sanctum
Reliquary Tower
Kjeldoran Outpost

Artifacts for manas

Sol Ring
Darksteel Ingot
Thran Dynamo
Armillary Sphere
Coalition Relic

Well of Lost Dreams
Planar Portal
Citanul Flute
Book of Rass (heh pay life to draw cards?)
Illuminated Folio
Ivory Tower
Sun Droplet
Marble Chalice (it's just to be annoying)
Lifeline
Lightning Greaves
Jinxed Choker (stupid win con)

Instants

Enlightened Tutor
Scent of Jasmine

Sorceries

Gerrard's Wisdom (of course!)
Dust To Dust
Proclamation of Rebirth
Storm Herd (Totally hilarious)
Landbind Ritual
Invincible Hymn
Congregate
Rout
Ancestral Tribute
Gift of Estates
Replenish

Enchantments

Boon Reflection (totally stupid good in here)
Celestial Convergence (if you ever feel the need to get attacked by everyone at once)
Planar Collapse
Words of Wisdom
Righteous Aura (Anti- general damage tech)
Genju of the Fields
Enduring Renewal
Angelic Chorus
Planeswalker's Mirth
Inheritance
Cradle of Vitality (Funny with Gerrard)
Oath of Leiges
Cessation (good for generals)
Aurafication (for when you don't feel like being attacked by everyone)
Recumbent Bliss
Faith's Fetters

Creatures

Darien King of Kjeldor
Revered Unicorn (I know it's horrible, it's just funny)
Soul Warden
False Prophet
Jasmine Seer
Wishmonger
Ranger of Eos
Windborne Muse
Felidar Sovereign (one of the faster win cons)
Preacher (oh yeah)
Devout Witness
Eternal Dragon
Martyr of Sands
Pentarch Paladin
Monk Realist
Children of Korliss
Michiko Konda, Truth Seeker
Academy Rector
Wall of Reverence
Atalya, Samit Master

General: Gerrard Capashen

Typially games just go like this. You play some stupid stuff and gain some life. People ignore you for like 2 turns, then decide you have the highest life total and need to be back down with the rest of them.

You get hit by random people every turn and you continue to do stupid junk like playing inheritance and stuff people could care less about. Then around 5 mana, you explode and go nuts on them gaining several dozen at a time. Then you start gaining more and more and race people. After you start gaining several hundred life a turn, everyone is in your face.

You can sit back and say, "hey, all I'm doing is gaining life, gaining life is stupid you know". No one will question gaining life anymore.

Everyone will be attacking you by this time. Luckily, the deck takes a beating and can survive geddons, Wraths, planar cleansing and such quite well. You just keep going and eventually set up one of the myriad of combos to end it all.

The best part is people ignore the best cards. Inheritance and Book of Rass are stupid good in there. Cradle of Vitality is unreal in how powerful it is. One use will convince people they need to kill you quick.

There's tons of answers for opposing Generals and you don't need to use the creature enchantments on anything else really unless you get out Righteous Aura and can ignore them. It's fun looking at stuff like Progenitis, Kresh, Planar Chaos Dragons and such and getting to not care about them.

Typically you win by using Cradle of Vitality on Gerrard and one shotting people. He does tap guys out of your way even. lol What an ability to have. Felidar kitty ftw. Celestial Convergence and just pounding out gain life spells while you are beat on for the next three turns.

Jinxed Choker tends to get ignored for the most part until people start getting low and then they notice it. I've killed a few people with it just because it got nasty.

You can spam tokens for a win.

Attack with stupid junk. Stupid, but people ignore the stuff half the time.

Go infinite and some people will give up.

There's a lot of win cons actually.

I need to add an Ajani Goldmane I think because that token would be so awesome. lol

Enjoy.

Mnemon
01-13-2010, 12:03 PM
You can't play Starlit Sanctum. It has a black mana symbol.

Wouldn't Runetail, Kitsune Ascendant fit the deck ?
And also there has to be something better then Marble Chalice ^^
like Righteous Cause, Noble Purpose, Patron of the Kitsune, Exalted/Battlegrace/Baneslayerangel, Loxodon Warhammer or Test of Endurance (but on the other
hand, test is lame).

Nightmare
01-13-2010, 12:41 PM
I dig this deck. Nicely done. Interesting way to take the format in a new direction.

Concern - What if one of the decks' goal is to mill you out, instead of caring about your life total? Vendillion Clique/Tunnel Vision, for example. Or lock you out, like with Mindslaver or Time walks or whatever? Hope to race?

deadlock
01-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Have you considered B(e)acon of Immortality and Elspeth? :eyebrow:

Nightmare
01-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Miren, the Moaning Well
Diamond Valley
Kabira Crossroads
Springjack Pasture (oh shit!)

These could all easily replace the Starlit Sanctum.

MPL
01-13-2010, 02:20 PM
I don't know if you have one or are allowed to play with proxies, but Forcefield would be a perfect fit for this deck.

Aggro_zombies
01-13-2010, 04:11 PM
I dig this deck. Nicely done. Interesting way to take the format in a new direction.

Concern - What if one of the decks' goal is to mill you out, instead of caring about your life total? Vendillion Clique/Tunnel Vision, for example. Or lock you out, like with Mindslaver or Time walks or whatever? Hope to race?
He has Felidar Sovereign to "just win," but Test of Endurance should be in there as well for redundancy.

dahcmai
01-14-2010, 11:20 AM
Ah bummer about the Starlit Sanctum, you are correct. I'll have to pull that.

Miren, the Moaning Well will replace it decently considering it's half in there for Academy Rector anyway.

Springjack Pasture seems excellent and amusing at the same time. Perfect fit. Thanks

Beacon was actually in it at one time. Beacon was just annoying for the sheer amount of shuffling. If I hit the card twice I was starting to get angry having to shuffle this monster. lol

Elspeth is just a matter of me not bothering to make a proxy of her. I have a set of real ones I use in standard, but I just need to make one for EDH. She was pretty high on the list, especially since we have people who love Obliterate.

Test of Endurance was in the deck at one time and got pulled due to the sheer amount of cheesiness. It was an auto win almost instantly (concessions), but our group kind of frowns on stuff like that and it was obvious no one could stop it fast enough considering I could return enchantments better with a first version. I cut it on sheer power level to add some fun back to the deck. If you only care about winning, it's one of the best you can play though. Be sure to add Skull of Orm for added cheese if you want to use it.

Also Test went out of the deck at the same time as Shaharzad. Can you imagine the sheer amount of cheese of playing those two in the same deck? It was silly. Too many people wouldn't play against this when they saw what general it was. It was a little much. I had to cut back a lot since it had some seriously mean moves.

Forcefield is a good one, reminded me of Nova Pentacle also. Might have room.

Runetail, Kitsune Ascendant is way to expected of any life style deck. He's practically broken in the format as a General. I wasn't going to make it that easy.

Yes, I admit Marble Chalice is only in the deck because it sucks and I was trying to cut back on the power level a little. The original deck was much stronger, but way less fun. The Chalice's comedic value is the only reason it stays. If you wanted to build your own, it's the first to go.

Patron of the Kitsune and Righteous Cause, I have never actually seen before. I like them a lot though. I'll find a spot for those. They are annoying as hell. Noble purpose doesn't seem like I could put it to use much as I never seem to actually attack people as it is. My creatures are typically slow to come out and by the time they do, they are probably only going to be used to block anyway.

Tunnel Vision and other mill effects are typically really good against this deck, but I have the benefit of knowing people will hate on that way more than my stupid Gerrard deck. For some reason, Mill arouses the anger of everyone around here. We had a guy try it and he was the first one to go every time. Infinite time walk effects and such seem to bring about the same type of response. So luckily I don't have to worry about it much. I'll add something if people find a way to not get so much attention for playing things like that.

Thanks for some of the ideas (I will use a lot of those) and glad you guys liked it. It is funny and actually good. Probably the cheapest EDH deck also. I think the most expensive are probably the Ranger of Eos, Enlightened Tutor, or the Rector.

Soldar
01-14-2010, 12:04 PM
I'm kind of surprised I haven't seen this suggestion yet; what about Emeria, the Sky Ruin?

You definitely play enough Plains to turn it on, and it is just relentless with half of the creatures in there.

dahcmai
01-14-2010, 01:34 PM
Oh yeah, good one. Definite add in. Be amazing with over half the creatures. Revered Unicorn is just too funny.

badjuju
01-29-2010, 04:14 AM
Does the general have to be Gerrard Capashen? Wouldn't Atalya be just as effective? Although I guess the whole "paying X" thing is both daunting to other players and much more boastful than just casually gaining some life with Gerrard.

I've been looking to play a full-on defensive deck that can just sit through all the politics and not create any fuss. This might be the one :P

dal9ll
01-30-2010, 02:20 AM
Hey don't knock Gerrard. You'd be surprised how versatile he is. Think about how he carries something like Jitte or Loxodon Warhammer: late game and he can tap down the right blockers and get general damage in there like melon-farmer. Also, he gets better in multiplayer, where you're often getting 5-7 life each turn. Having passive lifegain like that really behooves cards like Well of Lost Dreams, Cradle of Vitality, etc. etc.

@the OP:
Youve got some interesting card choices in there. I lol'd when I saw Gerrard's Wisdom, Jinxed Choker? Plus, I don't think there's a card named Auraifcation, haha. Anyway, some are some other cool cards that you could be using. Instead of listing them, Im just going to post my Gerrard list - its got a different "theme" than yours tho. Here goes:

GENERAL:
Gerrard Capashen

CREATURES (19):
Academy Rector
Adarkar Valkyrie
Akroma, Angel of Wrath
Baneslayer Angel
Eight-and-a-Half-Tails
Eternal Dragon
Exalted Angel
Felidar Sovereign--------------> Just TOO brutal
Iona, Shield of Emeria-------->blue is my fave to name w/ her
Karmic Guide------------------->recursion + pro black = gravy
Mistmeadow Skulk------------->hilarious psuedo-infinite chump block + passive lifegain
Mother of Runes
Myojin of Cleansing Fire
Reya Dawnbringer
Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant
Serra Avatar--------------------->lulz
Solemn Simulacrum
Wall of Reverence
Yosei, the Morning Star

ARTIFACTS (10):
Dispeller's Capsule
Loxodon Warhammer
Expedition Map
Gauntlet of Power--------------->GOTTA run this in multicolor decks
Lightning Greaves--------------->cuz no general belongs without them
Mind’s Eye
Pearl Medallion
Sensei’s Divining Top
Sol Ring
Umezawa’s Jitte
Well of Lost Dreams

ENCHANTMENTS (9):
Animal Boneyard---------------->cards like these keep your fatties/scaries from being stolen AND gain life
Boon Reflection
Crackdown
Cradle of Vitality
Land Tax
Luminarch Ascension----------->another insane EDH card imo
Runed Halo---------------------->can single-handedly shut down some decks, esp ones that rely on general damage
Story Circle
Test of Endurance--------------->of course!

SORCERIES (12):
Austere Command
Breath of Life
Day of Judgment
Decree of Justice
Dust to Dust
Feudkiller’s Verdict
Hallowed Burial
Idyllic Tutor
Resurrection
Rout
Storm Herd
Wrath of God

INSTANTS (11):
Beacon of Immortality
Condemn
Enlightened Tutor
Ghostway
Invulnerability---------------->infinite fogs? yeyaw
Oblation
Path to Exile
Return to Dust
Second Sunrise--------------->a card advantage-preserver, also hilarious after
Swords to Plowshares
Worthy Cause----------------->another animal boneyard

LANDS (37):
Boseiju Who Shelters All---->utterly AWESOME against some control EDH decks
Eiganjo Castle
Emeria, the Sky Ruin
Kor Haven
Maze of Ith
Miren, the Moaning Well
New Benalia
Kabria Crossroads
Flagstones of Trokair
Forbidding Watchtower
Kjeldoran Outpost
24 Plains
Strip Mine
Wasteland

Atwa
02-02-2010, 12:17 PM
Any thoughts about Chastise or Terashi's Grasp?

Zlatzman
02-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Plus, I don't think there's a card named Auraifcation, haha.

It's actually called Aurification.

Nightmare
02-02-2010, 02:39 PM
I proxied this up today with a few minor tweaks. I'm really, really excited to play it. It's such a completely different take on the game than I'm used to - this has to be what kitchen table players feel like every time they play.