PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Hassloch ad nauseam - literally

Adan
01-18-2010, 05:30 AM
Preamble:

After I played Aggrocontrol and Dredge for ages, I thought I might try something new, something no one would expect me to play.
Since I got myself a complete Ad Nauseam Pool for my jap foil Misdirection like half a year ago, I decided to play something with Tendrils.

First I tended to play ANT (w/o Doomsday, that card is too complicated for me and I haven't been following the discussions about it), but then I saw Bryant's report how he plowed through Winter Wonderland with TES and I wanted to do a little experiment because I wanted to show how inconsistent it actually is somehow in other ppl's hands... I happen to open hands like B.C., but I am the one to always run into a Force of Will.

So, when I arrived in Hassloch, I unsleeved TES and sleeved up ANT. I also saw a bunch of Zoos running around.

I played Kim Kluck's list because it looked simple just to get into it:

// Lands
4 [ON] Polluted Delta
4 [ON] Flooded Strand
1 [GUR] Swamp
1 [GUR] Island
2 [B] Underground Sea
1 [B] Scrubland
2 [B] Tundra

// Spells
3 [TO] Cabal Ritual
4 [DIS] Infernal Tutor
1 [SC] Tendrils of Agony
1 [US] Ill-Gotten Gains
1 [ALA] Ad Nauseam
4 [TE] Lotus Petal
4 [MI] Lion's Eye Diamond
3 [MR] Chrome Mox
4 [MM] Dark Ritual
4 [US] Duress
4 [MI] Mystical Tutor
4 [MM] Brainstorm
4 [LRW] Ponder
4 [PS] Orim's Chant

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [SC] Tendrils of Agony
SB: 1 [US] Ill-Gotten Gains
SB: 4 [RAV] Dark Confidant
SB: 1 [ON] Chain of Vapor
SB: 1 [R] Hurkyl's Recall
SB: 2 [DS] Echoing Truth
SB: 3 [TSP] Krosan Grip
SB: 1 [B] Tropical Island
SB: 1 [TSP] Angel's Grace

So, Match 1 I play against Simon with Aggroloam.

He opens with 2 mMox Diamonds, Land, Knight of the Reliquary. I smile.
I just spawn cardquality during the first 2 turns and so he wishes for DDreams and destroys my 2 basiclands.
After that, I play Land, Mox, LED, LED, IT, go for IGG and just crap on him.

1-0

Boarding: -3 Chants, -1 Duress, +1 Chain, +2 Echoing Truth, +1 Hurkyl's Recall

I was just too arrogant on game 2, he just went Land, go after Mull to 6, I duressed him, taking Burning with and seeing just 2 more lands and 2 Knights.
Then I Brainstorm-Ponder-Fetch and make my hand a winning hand (Rit Rit LED, IT to go for AdN) at the cost of my bouncespell, but I can't go off. He rips a Chalice from the top and plays it on 1. Crap. Then he topdecks another Chalice and plays it on 0. Then he topdecks a Tarmogoyf. Then I die.

1-1

Game 3 I duress a Chalice. He doesn't do much and I go off Turn 4 with LED, Cabal Ritual and IT for Ad Nauseam.

2-1, 1-0-0

Match 2 against Mario with Dreadstill

Long story short: He gets a gameloss because he failed to write his decklist correctly.

1-0

I win the diceroll then and go for Island, Ponder, he opens with Mishra, go.
Landstill or Dreadstill then. I fetch Swamp, Duress him, he Forces.
He drops another Mishra. I brainstorm into hot stuff and pass the Turn. He rips the Island and drops a Standstill. I draw, go. He plays a 2nd Island and taps himself out to swing for 4.
I then play a Lotus Petal which he tries to Daze, I pay, then play a Chant on him which he forces. With him being tapped out, it all boils down to whether he has a Force of not which is probably not the case after having played 2, so I go LED, Ritual, Ritual, Ad Nauseam. Resolves.

2-0, 2-0-0

Match 3 against Fabian Moyschewitz with Dreadstill

We have played against each other on Friday and I first owned him 6-0 for some reason although the matchup is crap for me.
So we are a bit afraid of each other because everything could happen, just like always. And so we do what we always do: We ID.

Match 4 against Christopher Wilhelm with GW Survival.

Game 1 I just steamroll him on Turn 3 with LED, LED, Infernal (I opened 4 Lands, IT, IT, LED). Fortunately he didn't play Gaddock Teeg maindeck.

1-0

Boarding: -1 Duress, -3 Chants, +the 4 Bounce.

He opens with Plains, Mother of Runes go, i Ponder, he drops a Gaddock Teeg. I have the Bouncespell and the win, but then realize how good the Mother is at this point.
I Brainstorm into hot stuff again, play Mystical and then at his EOT, I try to Echoing Truth his Gaddock, he gives protetion. I untap, Chain of Vapor it and go off with Petal, Cabal, LED, LED, LED, IT and go the IGG route.
However, since he had got an active Survival, he survivals for a Faerie Macabre, but I have 2 IGG piles available to access Tendrils:

Land, Brainstorm, Mystical (I have the Petal still) or just LED LED, IT. No matter which pile he dismantles with the Macabre, I will just get the one which kills him (on a sidenote, I had a 2nd IT in my grave so he would not have won if he picked Mystical and IT in this scenario). I eventually get Tendrils and win.

2-0, 3-0-1

Match 5 against Stefan Czolk with Zoo.

Game 1 he has a slow hand and I win on Turn 3 with Ritual, IT for a 2nd LED, LED, LED, IT, IGG blablabla...

1-0

Boarding: Again, -1 Duress, -3 Chant, +1 Chain, +2 Echoing Truth, +1 Angel's Grace

Game 2 I open a good hand and Brainstorm into Island, Swamp, Fetch, I still have 2 lands in my hand. I fetch, then draw the Swamp again. He bashes my face in with his Cats. I draw another Fetch, then another U-Sea, then a Duress till I die.

1-1

Game 3 I open a hand with 5 lands, Duress, mystical. Mull. I open 5 Lands and a Duress. Mull. I open Land, Land, Duress, Ritual, Cabal. Huh. Keep. I Duress him and take a Lightning Bolt. I draw 5 lands in a row and die to cats after my last ditch effort to minitendrils for 10 to survive a turn or 2 since I can't go for AdN on 1 Life.

1-2, 3-1-1

After this match I calculate the odds of having 2 times 5 lands and it's about 2,5 percent.
I guess I'd really rather win a lottery jackpot and become a millionaire than winning against that stupid lucky motherfucker. -.-
But if it really get's compensated with a lottery jackpot, I wouldn't complain.

Match 6 against Max Grohe with Chalice Soldiers.

He drops a Plains and I duress away the Chalice. He plays a Daru Warchief, then a Preeminent Captain. On Turn 4, I go off with Ritual, LED, IT, AdN.

1-0

Boarding: Again: -1 Duress, -3 Chants, +4 Bounce

A topdecked Chalice1 on his side slows me down a bit and he beats me down to 4 with a Preeminent Captain and something else before I go off with LED, Cabal, Cabal, IT, IGG.

2-0, 4-1-1

I end up being 8th out of 60ish ppl and pick a Force of WIll, signed with a gold pen my Therese Nielsen.

It's a cool deck, though and very consistent. I should get into it and try the DDANT variant.

jazzykat
01-18-2010, 07:23 AM
Well done again! That list looks like what I played about a year ago. Is that CAB's newest list or did you take something from the archives?

Adan
01-18-2010, 09:58 AM
Well done again! That list looks like what I played about a year ago. Is that CAB's newest list or did you take something from the archives?

Might be, I actually have no clue to whom he belongs, but I just took his list from here: http://www.deckcheck.net/deck.php?id=29144